Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

• 2 months later...

Not to pile onto the brush bar situation, but any small tap in the front will likely end up damaging the hood and front fenders as the bars get pushed back. Those things can turn a simple bumper fix into expensive body work pretty quickly. Awesome truck though, your kid will love it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

If that front bar isn't from Toyota you might want to try to figure out how it affects the front airbags. Not sure anymore but 10-15 years ago it was an issue.

48 minutes ago, Updawg said:

That’s a good point. And maybe other sensors.

39 minutes ago, topochico said:

Not to pile onto the brush bar situation, but any small tap in the front will likely end up damaging the hood and front fenders as the bars get pushed back. Those things can turn a simple bumper fix into expensive body work pretty quickly. Awesome truck though, your kid will love it. 

this is why I post here.  we will look into it  -  the grill guard concerns.

Earlier in this thread, I asked about grill guards, and while I managed to escape the experience without getting much smarter (and a few thousand bucks lighter), I'd just advise that you look up the model and see what people with experience with it have to say on places like Tacoma World.

My kid's was a 2017, so I didn't have to worry about sensors, but I think that the dynamic cruise sensor was one of the more likely to be affected by guards.

And yes, a lot of guards can get pushed back into the bumper/hood/fenders in a wreck, but read up on how it's attached.  The one I ended up going with was a bumper replacement and had all kinds of heavy duty attachments such that yes, he should be able to bulldoze a rhinoceros.  This was part of the point for him, since we sent him off to school in Colorado and my fear was him meeting a mule deer on a mountain pass.  At night.  Alone.  In the rain.

One other thing he needs to be aware of is that with that guard on there, if he pulls into his parking space just a little too quickly and taps the front end of the cute car the junior girl parks in the space across from him, it will fucking obliterate it in very expensive fashion.  Ask me how I know.

Here's the ARB we ended up going with:

PXL_20230715_0042568893.thumb.jpg.ce30e6947e3151e435311115db5df2a8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

that's a great looking truck. and my instincts to get the one with the grill guard was for similar reasons. he's super interested in using a truck for what a truck was made for.  we also don't have mule deer where we live but we do have deer, lots of them and plenty of dark windy roads to be surprised by them.

I may read up on it, I may just take it to a dealership and ask them about it / remove it / replace it / leave it alone if it's all copacetic.

as for bumping the junior cute girl's car, I mean that's one way to meet them, amirite?

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Damor said:

This was part of the point for him, since we sent him off to school in Colorado and my fear was him meeting a mule deer on a mountain pass.  At night.  Alone.  In the rain.

at the risk of being called a naive parental unit, he and I have discussed his desire for a gap year. He wants to explore the west with a small camper. That's also part of the equation of wanting the guard. In any event, the deal is handle your shit the next two and a half years (he's straight A's and pre-AP or AP classes right now), apply to college, get into a preferred college you want, and if they allow a one year deferment then we can discuss a legit 9 month plan.  There's a huge issue over going alone or with someone. He's even asked me if I'd go with him if he's alone. I told him maybe for some of it even a lot of it but I still have to work and he has a younger brother still in school. So the negotiation continues, but this truck will set him up for some version of that plan if we do it, even if only for 2-3 months over a few summers.

• Like 2

That sounds really awesome, Troph.  I hope it works out for him, and it sounds like a hell of an adventure.

I will say that while a brush guard can end up causing additional damage in an accident, it's probably no worse than the mess we encountered hitting a deer without one.

And if someone on here knows a reputable off-road shop in your area, that might be a good place to take it for another opinion.  While they might have an incentive to upsell you on something else, they might have better insight into the current one, how it's attached, and how it might affect sensors/suspension etc. than the dealer.  Who will probably try to upsell you on something else. 😛

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s a great truck and I’m jealous if that AND the gap year plan. Ah to be single and young again.

But agree you might more of an ARB-like integrated bumper and grill guard. Otherwise you’re most likely dealing with what they call over on ih8mud a “damage multiplier.” Of course, they are pretty snobby Land Cruiser and Taco crowd.

• Hook 'Em 2

When the time comes your kid might like the simplicity of a camper shell instead of hauling a trailer everywhere. This is my set up, but I have the longbed.  
The drawer under the mattress runs the full 6’2” length of the bed. I have a second plank I can bring along to span the rest of the way across and make it a double bed when needed. 
I’ve only had the truck a couple of months but I’ve spent 6 nights in it so far. Best set up I’ve had. I was in a cruiser with a roof top tent before this. I like this much better. 

IMG_2298.thumb.jpeg.0b72f8e58e15f4fd4f266c7b590c71a8.jpeg

IMG_2399.thumb.jpeg.abf993f84756cd9dc43be238d1be9d20.jpegIMG_2415.thumb.jpeg.1fedd9bd2c9580107ec493f971398753.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 3

@Your Mom there is a significant debate on this very thing. I'm ok with the camper but my wife says he should do what you did (I passed on a model that was for sale with the shell but it was second behind the one we chose).  She thinks his options for city exploration and back country exploration are greater with just the camper shell. She's 100% right. But then if he's not just dreaming and he gets to pull this off, then it's really his choice I'd think (subject to graduation money to buy it).  I don't know if he wants to do city travels too or just national parks, and national forests. I think with the short bed it might not work out as easily.

I'll say, I don't really know where his plans will go, I had a similar dream but nixed it when I was 18, mostly for lack of funds and zero support. I never got passed looking at paper maps for possible routes. sigh. but yeah, @ohchaucer I'm super jealous if we can pull off the acceptance and deferment with a gap year at 18 years old. this truck is perfect in that he can keep moving that direction or if he bails on that plan it's still a nice ride. but fuck I didn't do it right back then. ugh. All I can do is help him learn from my stupid mistakes.

oh, and who trusts folks who post about their trucks on a site called "I hate mud"??  jk

• Like 1

As soon as the kiddos are off to college we're planning on doing a bunch of overlanding across the west. I have an FJ cruiser and when I'm alone or with one dog it's fine to camp in, but 2 dogs and two people are too much. I've been looking for an off road camper for a while, will probably pull the trigger in a year or two.

https://www.opuscamper.us/

https://taxaoutdoors.com/

https://www.blackseries.net/

Taxa has some little ones that would be good for 1 person.

• Like 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

As soon as the kiddos are off to college we're planning on doing a bunch of overlanding across the west. I have an FJ cruiser and when I'm alone or with one dog it's fine to camp in, but 2 dogs and two people are too much. I've been looking for an off road camper for a while, will probably pull the trigger in a year or two.

https://xpeditiontrailers.com/features-%26-options

I covet one of these. Lifestyle Overland on YT just got one. 

Just to double down, a bull bar (like ARB) and a grille guard are not the same thing. The latter are affectionately known as "damage multipliers" in the Land Cruiser community. They do not provide any real protection or benefit and tend to get scraped up - at best - and can really mess up your truck with very minor contact. The bull bar is a structural improvement that does provide protection. It's also heavy. You're better off with no grill guard at all. Just my two cents as somebody who's gone both routes.

And the ARB product is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2024 Tacoma models coming out soon? My son will be of legal driving age next year, and I’ll most likely just give him my car. I want a truck that I can fit into my garage, gets good gas mileage, but can do all of the things a truck needs to do. From what I’ve read, the 2024 models have substantial upgrades in MPG. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2024 Tacoma models coming out soon? My son will be of legal driving age next year, and I’ll most likely just give him my car. I want a truck that I can fit into my garage, gets good gas mileage, but can do all of the things a truck needs to do. From what I’ve read, the 2024 models have substantial upgrades in MPG. 

I loved both of my Tacomas. Neither ever went to a mechanic for anything beyond wear and tear type things. As far as fuel economy, it looks like there is a slight bump. I suspect on average you would get something like 21mpg. My 2021 4runner with slightly larger tires than factory gets about 18mpg.

I’ll probably be buying one of the hybrid 2024 Tacomas. Been reading up on them quite a bit since they first announced them. Nobody is expecting the gas mileage to increase much. In fact, just today they released the non-hybrid mileage numbers and prices. I think they get like 1 more mile per gallon than the old model. The hybrid might improve on that a little bit, but not as much as you would think. My understanding is that the hybrid motor is designed to give it more low end power and acceleration, not necessarily to give it more miles per gallon. The old Tacomas are fairly anemic when it comes to acceleration, and the turbo hybrid is more a solution to that than gas mileage.

All that being said, I’m excited to get one when the hybrid comes out in the Spring.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Mittens said:

Buddy of mine bought an 82 Datsun to fix up for his kid.  Just got it back from paint - cheap paint/decals but good enough to look slick from 10' away.  All the black parts are rhinolined now as well.

Start: 

image.thumb.png.cfc1ad50b9a6f1c4ac26b2fa29c85d52.png

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Today:

image.png.56757b7ef787d21bf5cf8b3c1b448d94.png

image.png.f75c991c94f5a489b483519517e99132.png

image.png.fb3c95fd2335e4288b5e82526c8e8745.png

image.png.ae4ac2b366dc9e0e09bbe74ecb8099bc.png

That's a great truck. I considered something similar with my old 93 Toyota truck and my son. Then I started really looking at the thin A pillars, zero air bags, no crumple zones and how terrible the MT tires were in the rain. We got him a VW with pre-collision breaking and blind spot detection instead. At least it was a manual transmission and he will get to learn about VW reliability first hand. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hate said:

I assumed it would pick up a few MPG based on the hybrid motor and the 8 speed transmission. Doesn’t the hybrid kick on at highway speeds or am I misunderstanding how that works…which is entirely possible.

I think that usually how it works but in this case primary purpose of the hybrid is to deliver a lot more power at lower RPMs than the previous versions without sacrificing mpg. If you look at the Tundra which is already available in a hybrid, it gained 2 mpg in the city and 0 on the highway vs its non-hybrid version. 

• Like 1

Motortrend 1st drive review. No mileage numbers though:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2024-toyota-tacoma-first-drive-review/

Edit - detailed mileage numbers for each trim level:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-toyota-tacoma-pickup-truck-fuel-economy-mpg-rating/

000-2024-Toyota-Tacoma-Lead.jpg?fit=arou

003-2024-Toyota-Tacoma-Limited-rear-view

004-2024-Toyota-Tacoma-Limited-dashboard

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 6:21 PM, blacklab said:

Rented an Opus 4 for a long weekend.  Inflatable top is a cool concept and light weight for towing, but on a cold, rainy and windy long weekend in March it kind of sucked.  

On 11/22/2023 at 11:29 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Just to double down, a bull bar (like ARB) and a grille guard are not the same thing. The latter are affectionately known as "damage multipliers" in the Land Cruiser community. They do not provide any real protection or benefit and tend to get scraped up - at best - and can really mess up your truck with very minor contact. The bull bar is a structural improvement that does provide protection. It's also heavy. You're better off with no grill guard at all. Just my two cents as somebody who's gone both routes.

And the ARB product is awesome.

my other truck is a bumper replacement. honestly I did not see the difference when purchasing but this thread has been insightful. I'll probably upgrade him later. he's going to need new tires within a year too. We are working on his work/bills/responsibilities now so we can factor in all of that. 

of immediate importance, now its time to convince him he's not getting this for Christmas.  operation mean mrs santa claus in full effect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 1:06 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Gap years are better after college than before. Just sayin.

I agree. He’s living right so I’m not saying no at this point. It may run its course and fade away, he likely has no one to do it with which could impact that plan. He’s  done everything I’ve asked for so I’m just being patient right now. 

DL test tomorrow, did the parallel parking last bit of practice last night he’s a champ.

I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser so there's my taco..... BUUUUUTTTT...

Anyone have a new Jeep Wrangler with crappy battery issues?  Not talking an old one.  I'm talking a brand spanking new one or newish one?  

Here... have some 2021 snowmageddon fun...

image.thumb.png.1fccc3617f38ce5384f71316577f0b07.png

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser so there's my taco..... BUUUUUTTTT...

Anyone have a new Jeep Wrangler with crappy battery issues?  Not talking an old one.  I'm talking a brand spanking new one or newish one?  

I have a 2017 Wrangler Rubicon, no battery issues on it so far.  Not sure if that's newish enough to meet your criterion?

But there's also a specific Jeep thread that you could hit up for answeres.

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I have a 2017 Wrangler Rubicon, no battery issues on it so far.  Not sure if that's newish enough to meet your criterion?

But there's also a specific Jeep thread that you could hit up for answeres.

This is our third Jeep on a lease.  Just got it... seems like the new Jeeps might have garbage OEM batteries.

• Rage+1 1