Formula 1 2021

wood

Max Verstappen: “He’s a different driver than me, less aggressive. He doesn’t know how to race like I do. I can’t blame him for that either, because he was never able to learn that like I did from my father.” 

Was it the child abandonment that did the trick on the track? Maybe the finesse of repeated spousal abuse? If all that fails he could just crack Lewis' skull with a wrench like daddy taught! I'm sure he learned a lot from that piece of shit. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, vicerous said:

Was it the child abandonment that did the trick on the track? Maybe the finesse of repeated spousal abuse? If all that fails he could just crack Lewis' skull with a wrench like daddy taught! I'm sure he learned a lot from that piece of shit. 

Man, give it up.

Red Bull looked like they had a great strategy with the slipstream. Wonder why Merc didn't follow suit? 

No idea what will happen tomorrow. Should be edge of your seat all day. If Mercedes has the same advantage they've had for the past six weeks, then I could see Hamilton being able to pass even before the pit stop. 

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty safe bet that that was never the plan, and now they're pretending like they were 50/50 all week about what tire they should start on.

Yeah the soft tires are concerning, but there's an excellent chance of a Haas car crashing out early. If they don't, you're up Checo 

Max Verstappen: “He’s a different driver than me, less aggressive. He doesn’t know how to race like I do. I can’t blame him for that either, because he was never able to learn that like I did from my father.” 

Sooooo salty.

Bring it home Max!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I'm extremely green when it comes to f1, can you explain what this means please? 

Slipstreaming behind the car in front of you to reduce aerodynamic resistance and achieve a higher top speed. 

Here is Horner discussing Max's lap today:

Team Principal Christian Horner provided further insight into how Red Bull used the tow to match Mercedes on the straights and out-qualify them.

“We discussed the slipstream this morning,” he said. “We lowered the downforce, it was the only way to match [Mercedes] on the straights. Q2 came more towards us, and then both runs in Q3 were exceptional. That tow, Checo working with his team mate; absolutely perfect teamwork today. I think that's one of Max's best laps of the year,” he said.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Pretty clever qualifying by Red Bull, even if their hand was forced by the flat spot. 

I doubt they wanted to start on the softs, especially given that Pirelli brought the three softest compounds this weekend. Unless they're banking on a two-stop, on a track that historically been one and hasn't been easy to pass, RB might be looking at a repeat of Saudi Arabia: Max' tires going off as Hamilton tracks him down in a faster Merc. Maybe they should ask Valtteri if he thinks this will be a fucking two-stopper.

Still...the plan worked to get him track position heading into turn 1. 

Oh, and get in there, Lando! Hell of a lap for him and McLaren.

Edited by Dutch

Lando P3 worked out well for Red Bull. I don't think he will be wanting to dive in to inadvertently take out either Max or LH at the start. Expect to see Perez on the softs to pass him pretty early on and hassle LH while Max tries to build a lead and salvage having to start on the soft tires. Bottas will be a non factor as he prepares for his Alfa Romeo future next year. 

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, vicerous said:

Not so fast... 

Not how I saw that going this morning - extra spicy tomorrow 

Yep, me neither. But as always, :wewillsee:. I still think this race will be won by the car with the better race pace (which was what I was referring to above). I still think that's Merc, but I'll be very happy to be wrong.

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty safe bet that that was never the plan, and now they're pretending like they were 50/50 all week about what tire they should start on.

They did initially want the mediums to work out, but Horner's pit wall interviews gave me the impression that they were just hoping to start on different tires than Merc did, which is how it ended up. That flat spot may have actually been a bit of luck ... or even maybe a bit of a high-risk rope-a-dope.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Starting on the softs  might not matter much if the plan all along was for a 1 stop race, starting on mediums and finishing on softs. They will just swap the order. 

Yeah Horner seemed to think the one stop option is still in play.

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Ah shit that's kind of cool, I didn't realize there was that much interaction in qualifying. Newbs like me see the the qualifying times and don't realize Hamilton still has the better set up. 

Lewis might have had the better setup for Qualifying, but we really don't know how much help the tow was and whether or not that was the difference between Max finishing P1 or P2. What really matters for tomorrow is long run pace (race pace), not one-lap pace. I still think Merc has that, but I hope I'm wrong. :wewillsee:

Unfortunately for me, I'll be watching delayed yet again & probably won't be able to see the race til the afternoon, so y'all have fun!

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, wood said:

Unfortunately for me, I'll be watching delayed yet again & probably won't be able to see the race til the afternoon, so y'all have fun!

Yeah, I recorded it - 5am comes damn early on a Sunday - but I'm still going to try and catch it live. 

I'm not a fan of either of these two douchebags; I'd just like to see Merc's long reign come to an end. Same reason I was a Lewis fan early in his career. Otherwise it's like trying to choose between DeChambeau and Koepka. Ugh. 

I'm an actual fan of several of the other drivers - perhaps next season El Plan will come to fruition! At any rate, it's been a great season and thanks to a whole lot of you - Lewis and Max fanbois alike - who give me a better insight into the sport. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Next year Aston wins the championship, you heard it here first...

So next year I know nothing about... I just know that there are big changes. Is there any hint of who might have an advantage? Is it entirely likely that all the good teams are still good and all the bad teams are still bad? Is it likely there is a big mix up in the order?

And who is Red Bull's engine supplier next year?

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So next year I know nothing about... I just know that there are big changes. Is there any hint of who might have an advantage? Is it entirely likely that all the good teams are still good and all the bad teams are still bad? Is it likely there is a big mix up in the order?

And who is Red Bull's engine supplier next year?

I mean it's tough to say. Mercedes hit the last realignment out of the park and it could very easily be say Ferrari this time. I mean, Haas isn't going to magically start winning, but small differences at the top could jumble things.

RBR is using Honda design next year and then theoretically doing their own motors in 2023, but that's a long way off.

HAAS should be better next year. They went all in on next year.

Merc is going to be towards the top. They stated at the beginning of this year they weren’t putting a lot in this year. I think they’ve done the bare minimum to win this year and it might cost them the drivers championship. I also don’t know if they stuck to bare bones this year, so I could be really wrong.

I’m expecting Ferrari to be a mess for two years, because Ferrari.

HAAS should be better next year. They went all in on next year.

Merc is going to be towards the top. They stated at the beginning of this year they weren’t putting a lot in this year. I think they’ve done the bare minimum to win this year and it might cost them the drivers championship. I also don’t know if they stuck to bare bones this year, so I could be really wrong.

I’m expecting Ferrari to be a mess for two years, because Ferrari.

Shit, Merc didn’t even spend development tokens this year. I think the top 3 will still be the top 3, but that Ferrari will be much closer, maybe ahead of Red Bull.
  • Like 1