2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

"When we acquired Boris in 2006, he was probably the fastest guy on the team from end to end. He could also really leap. Yet somehow he doesn't rely on his athleticism to get things done. It's almost like he uses it as a last resort."

You hear similar tales of awe from those who were with Diaw in Atlanta too.

"Everybody loves the chase-down block that LeBron is so good at, right?" Stotts said. "When we were watching video of [Diaw] before we drafted him, I can't tell you how many of those we saw. He's deceptively athletic with great timing and instincts. He has a wingspan that's deceptive too."

The capper comes from Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin, who, like Quinter, was an integral part of the Suns' front-office team when Diaw was acquired in a sign-and-trade for Joe Johnson orchestrated by then-Suns personnel chief Bryan Colangelo.

"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [Stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult.'"

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11084748/boris-diaw-dishes-san-antonio-spurs

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Kevin Garnett bilked of $77 million by the same guy that bilked Tim. Remember when he showed up in court to support the thief during the trial in San Antonio? Something something karma. Something something Kevin Garnett is a fucking bitch.

I wasn't sure there was anything that could make me hate that sorryass piece of shit more than I did before, but this is it. I only wish he'd been ripped off even worse.

Kevin Garnett bilked of $77 million by the same guy that bilked Tim. Remember when he showed up in court to support the thief during the trial in San Antonio? Something something karma. Something something Kevin Garnett is a fucking bitch.
I don't think I recall this.

Also, you misspelled schadenfreude

On 9/6/2018 at 7:20 PM, Kermit said:

DId he though?  It seems like Tim's divorce and subsequent lawsuit against the fraudster is what made Garnett privy to the fact that he had been lied to as well.  Kevin and Banks were 50/50 owners of the company that was used to defraud Tim, so I can imagine Garnett was there to see what was going on. I don't see anything about him testifying though. 

https://www.financial-planning.com/news/advisor-who-defrauded-nba-legend-tim-duncan-gets-4-years-in-prison-takes-verbal-beating-from-judge

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Duncan-Ginobili-and-Garnett-witness-ex-financial-11249831.php

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

DId he though?  It seems like Tim's divorce and subsequent lawsuit against the fraudster is what made Garnett privy to the fact that he had been lied to as well.  Kevin and Banks were 50/50 owners of the company that was used to defraud Tim, so I can imagine Garnett was there to see what was going on. I don't see anything about him testifying though. 

https://www.financial-planning.com/news/advisor-who-defrauded-nba-legend-tim-duncan-gets-4-years-in-prison-takes-verbal-beating-from-judge

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Duncan-Ginobili-and-Garnett-witness-ex-financial-11249831.php

Yes, he did. It’s in the fucking article. Again, fuck Kevin Garnett. 

On 5/1/2018 at 10:44 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That was enlightening. The stuff that was less well known is the business arrangement between Frankel (his agent) and Uncle Dennis. Especially now that it seems like whatever Frankel had planned for Impact Sports has fallen apart. He's got no sports agency any more. Now he's probably in scramble mode, owes money all over town, and the only asset they have appears to be Kawhi. So his agent is up against it and he's got to leverage Leonard for as much cash as possible. Plus he's got his uncle gravy training him because none of the other agents would touch Uncle Dennis. So they don't get what they want from Nike and instead of the agent taking responsibility for the negotiation or the way they've marketed (or as the case is, not marketed) Kawhi, he blames the size of the SA market. Get Kawhi to LA or NY and he gets more cash is the sell.

Of course, none of that really explains why Kawhi couldn't get healthy enough to play. The idea that his injury is one more thing to blame on the Spurs in order to get him to a different market could be at play. But they know that he can't get the supermax anywhere else and the Spurs aren't going to give him up for less than equal value. Again, Spurs have all the leverage in this because of the last CBA. 

Huh...so Tony leaves...and Brent Barry returns...coincidence?  I think NOT!

On 9/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, Hate said:

I wouldn't even bother listening to anyone who would argue that Manu isn't a first ballot HOF'er.  I'm going to miss him tremendously.  

I wouldn't be able to listen to them because I would be too busy punching them in the fucking throat.

• Like 1

Media: What would you like other people to know about you?

KL: I'm fun. I make jokes. Like last season, I trolled my entire team. I got everyone--players, coaches, owners, management, fans--everyone!

Media: What did you do?

KL: I pretended to be hurt and said I was working hard to get healthy, but ... I was fine! I was chilling with my uncle in New York, eating at Shake Shack, touring the Guggenheim, tryna slide into LBJ's DMs. I climbed the Freedom Tower! And took the ferry to Staten Island!

Media: Uh ...

KL: And I got paaaaaaid, yo! To do nothing! I'm still gettin' paid! I'm in another country now, but they still payin' me! And best of all--I never said a word and made it seem like it was their fault. It was Andy Kaufmanesque.

• Like 1

Frankly, it's probably best to put his shit in the general thread now.  He's moved on, we've moved on..... sucks, but it's over.  I actually hope he sticks in Toronto, I think it's a good place for him.

I actually hope he gets frostbite this winter. Fuck him, but I agree with no more posts about that turd in this thread.

25 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Meh.  Good luck to Tony, but - meh.  I’m a bit surprised to feel that way but TP has always mostly been about TP.

Hard to come to grips with the fact that we’ve seen the last of Manu though.  

I'm going to disagree with you a little on the "always being about TP".  He took many team friendly deals to keep the core intact for as long as it did.  I really wish he had chosen to hang it up with Manu.  I hate seeing Spurs legends in other uniforms.  

Edited by Hate
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Meh.  Good luck to Tony, but - meh.  I’m a bit surprised to feel that way but TP has always mostly been about TP.

Hard to come to grips with the fact that we’ve seen the last of Manu though.  

Your first statement isn't really grounded in reality...... it's pretty opposite actually.  

Your 2nd statement..... Hope is good thing.....

Player-coach!  C'mon Manu!!!!

Just my opinion... I get all the player friendly deals, taking a back seat for DJ , etc but I still have a lingering impression that he did that stuff for less than magnanimous reasons. Or at least that he had other self serving motivations that weren’t as obvious.  He seems like a naturally selfish person who wants to be loved and viewed like Timmy and Manu.  My $0.02.