Christmas Party at Nakatomi Plaza Tomorrow

bschoolprof

On 12/8/2022 at 1:09 PM, closetojumping said:

Finally, since I've discovered that this thread exists - while Die Hard is of course a Christmas movie, Die Hard 2 is indeed not. It's set on Christmas Eve and that is about it. Also, the notion of a snowmobile shootout, in Washington DC, in December, has to be the most absurd thing in the history of filmmaking. 

Your point still generally stands but Dulles is out in Northern Virginia a pretty fair clip from DC itself.  Now that area has grown up A LOT since this film but back then there wasn't nearly as much out there.  But yea the whole point of planes just circling until they crash on the Eastern Seaboard is absurd.  

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Your point still generally stands but Dulles is out in Northern Virginia a pretty fair clip from DC itself.  Now that area has grown up A LOT since this film but back then there wasn't nearly as much out there.  But yea the whole point of planes just circling until they crash on the Eastern Seaboard is absurd.  

My point wasn’t about the populated area (or not), but more so about there being that much snow in the DC area in December, ever. Nevermind it being a thing often enough for the bad guys to count on it and thus have snowmobiles with them at the ready. I’ve never lived there, so if I’m wrong and it always snows a ton in Dec and it’s common for people to be seen tooling around in snowmobiles, just tell me. 

My point wasn’t about the populated area (or not), but more so about there being that much snow in the DC area in December, ever. Nevermind it being a thing often enough for the bad guys to count on it and thus have snowmobiles with them at the ready. I’ve never lived there, so if I’m wrong and it always snows a ton in Dec and it’s common for people to be seen tooling around in snowmobiles, just tell me. 

That’s a better point. Thought you were on the country feel.

7 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

My sons 11 and I’ve been contemplating.  I’d ff the tits at the beginning because I’m a prude.   But other than that, he’s seen Rush Hour so he should be good to go for the rest imo. 

He doesn’t get to watch many R rated movies. It’s R for goofy and absurd violence which I’m not

worried about him participating in and language. I let him watch the occasional movie with some cussing but tell him if I hear it never again. He seems to get that and doesn’t seem to be a cusser anyway. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He doesn’t get to watch many R rated movies. It’s R for goofy and absurd violence which I’m not

worried about him participating in and language. I let him watch the occasional movie with some cussing but tell him if I hear it never again. He seems to get that and doesn’t seem to be a cusser anyway. 

Yet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Yet. 

Sure.  As long as he's not a dumbass I don't care if he cusses on his own time around his peers and the like. I'm sure he will. Just don't get caught doing it by someone that's going to tattle to me about it and expect me to do something about it or I will delete the R rated movies from his life if I ever hear "But dad let me blah blah blah"

On 12/11/2022 at 4:03 PM, closetojumping said:

I’ll bet it happens more often than USC plays ND in a Christmas Eve bowl game.

I remember that area getting hit pretty hard by a big snowstorm in early January, 2003. I don’t think having a white Christmas in a movie set in that region is making too much of a demand on us to suspend our disbelief. 

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I never cussed in front of my parents either. Around friends was a different story. 

On 12/12/2022 at 12:34 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

My sons 11 and I’ve been contemplating.  I’d ff the tits at the beginning because I’m a prude.   But other than that, he’s seen Rush Hour so he should be good to go for the rest imo. 

Not allowing an 11 year-old to see boobs is bad parenting.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Was it a thing in the 80s for companies to have their Christmas* parties on Christmas Eve?  It's not just Die Hard; Trading Places has the same thing.  And it makes me thing that employers were having their employees show up on Christmas Eve for the company party.

Come to think of it, is that why we always had to go to Midnight Mass--because my parents were at the firm's Christmas party up to about midnight?

* You bet your ass they were "Christmas parties" in the 80s.  "Holiday parties"?  What are you, some kind of Jew?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Are you sure Trading Places Duke & Duke Party happens on Christmas Eve?  The one where Winthorpe gets fucked up and steals the salmon whilst dressed as Santa?  I swear it was a couple days before.  

The whole thing is the Orange crop report comes out the after New Year's Day.  Hence everybody getting fucked up on the train.

I remember it came out in 1983.  But that was real snow and real Philly during principal photography.  So it had to be filmed late '82/early '83.  Only nerd clue online is that the payroll check is dated December 1, 1982.  Which I guess puts Christmas Eve on a Friday.   But that creates an issue with the orange crop report release on either 1/1 or 1/2 and the ensuing trading day.  In 1983, those are a Saturday & Sunday.  No crop report press conference, and certainly no trading.  Otherwise the movie is the most incredibly accurate commodity trading movie I've ever seen.  ;) 

Nakatomi raises the question.  If it takes place in 1987 (there aren't really any clues as to year in Die Hard, just Xmas Eve in general), then the party was on a Thursday before a 3-day weekend.  Seems reasonable.  If it takes place Xmas Eve 1988, a few months after the release of the film in our world...that's a Saturday.  Even a hardworking company-first group like Nakatomi isn't gonna make you come in on a Saturday that's also Christmas Eve.  Even they aren't that demented.  

Say what you will about the Volksfrei Dissident...At least Hans Gruber was willing to pay his team overtime, plus 20%, for working the holiday weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fuck that.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Was it a thing in the 80s for companies to have their Christmas* parties on Christmas Eve?  It's not just Die Hard; Trading Places has the same thing.  And it makes me thing that employers were having their employees show up on Christmas Eve for the company party.

Come to think of it, is that why we always had to go to Midnight Mass--because my parents were at the firm's Christmas party up to about midnight?

* You bet your ass they were "Christmas parties" in the 80s.  "Holiday parties"?  What are you, some kind of Jew?

Yes. The holidays were not as long then as they are now. We all worked and school all day Wednesday growing up before thanksgiving. It wasn’t until I was in college that I ever got Wednesday afternoon before thanksgiving off. 
xmas eve and New Years Eve were normal workdays for my folks. 
it’s the last 10 years that we’ve turned thanksgiving week and Xmas week into a thing. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Are you sure Trading Places Duke & Duke Party happens on Christmas Eve?  The one where Winthorpe gets fucked up and steals the salmon whilst dressed as Santa?  I swear it was a couple days before.  

The whole thing is the Orange crop report comes out the after New Year's Day.  Hence everybody getting fucked up on the train.

I remember it came out in 1983.  But that was real snow and real Philly during principal photography.  So it had to be filmed late '82/early '83.  Only nerd clue online is that the payroll check is dated December 1, 1982.  Which I guess puts Christmas Eve on a Friday.   But that creates an issue with the orange crop report release on either 1/1 or 1/2 and the ensuing trading day.  In 1983, those are a Saturday & Sunday.  No crop report press conference, and certainly no trading.  Otherwise the movie is the most incredibly accurate commodity trading movie I've ever seen.  ;) 

Nakatomi raises the question.  If it takes place in 1987 (there aren't really any clues as to year in Die Hard, just Xmas Eve in general), then the party was on a Thursday before a 3-day weekend.  Seems reasonable.  If it takes place Xmas Eve 1988, a few months after the release of the film in our world...that's a Saturday.  Even a hardworking company-first group like Nakatomi isn't gonna make you come in on a Saturday that's also Christmas Eve.  Even they aren't that demented.  

Say what you will about the Volksfrei Dissident...At least Hans Gruber was willing to pay his team overtime, plus 20%, for working the holiday weekend.

The office Christmas party in Trading Places is definitely Christmas Eve.  When Winthorp gets back to Ophelia's apartment, she tells him "Louie, come trim the tree; it's Christmas Eve."

Incidentally, JLC's tits in that movie are right up there with Alexandra Daddario's in True Detective as the best tits of all time.

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes. The holidays were not as long then as they are now. We all worked and school all day Wednesday growing up before thanksgiving. It wasn’t until I was in college that I ever got Wednesday afternoon before thanksgiving off. 
xmas eve and New Years Eve were normal workdays for my folks. 
it’s the last 10 years that we’ve turned thanksgiving week and Xmas week into a thing. 

I remember that my father typically worked on Christmas Eve.  But he was a lawyer.  And that was kind of what lawyers did (and what many still do).

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The office Christmas party in Trading Places is definitely Christmas Eve.  When Winthorp gets back to Ophelia's apartment, she tells him "Louie, come trim the tree; it's Christmas Eve."

Incidentally, JLC's tits in that movie are right up there with Alexandra Daddario's in True Detective as the best tits of all time.

I remember that my father typically worked on Christmas Eve.  But he was a lawyer.  And that was kind of what lawyers did (and what many still do).

Dad was a bread trucker driver and mom was a secretary. They worked then too. I think it was just kids/schools/admin/teachers that were off. 

16 minutes ago, mdleast said:

On a somewhat related Christmas Eve note, from watching a lot of Christmas episodes of old 70s and 80s sitcoms over the years, I’m always fascinated that they have the main characters buying a Christmas tree to put up and decorate…on Christmas Eve

It's not what my family or most families I know did, but I had a couple of friends in the early 80s whose parents bought the tree on Christmas Eve, and trimmed it that night while the kids were asleep.  Then the kids woke up to both a fully trimmed tree, and Santa presents, on Christmas morning.  It was apparently a German tradition?  

Anyway my folks both worked half-days on Christmas Eve and NYE.  Their firms would never have dreamed of having the company Christmas party on Christmas Eve, that's when everyone went to church for Christmas Eve candlelight services.  Company Christmas parties were on the 2nd or 3rd weekend of December, same as they are now.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ll bet it happens more often than USC plays ND in a Christmas Eve bowl game.

I remember that area getting hit pretty hard by a big snowstorm in early January, 2003. I don’t think having a white Christmas in a movie set in that region is making too much of a demand on us to suspend our disbelief. 

Snow storm/blizzard? Sure. I’m sure it happens in December every blue moon. Enough to merit snowmobiles as part of the escape plan? No. It’s fucking absurd. 

Looking back on a the few photos we have of childhood christmas from 70's, 80's and the even fewer timestamps on the back...it did seem like dad's christmas parties were closer to Christmas Eve (a couple even being daytime brunch of 12/24 proper), and a few that suggest christmas tree was not "trimmed" until just a few days before Christ's Birthday.  And this was awhile ago, but not like multiple generations ago.  

Ain't no War on Christmas.  But our collective crowd-sourced memory does suggest that the full throttle celebration of Christmas from Thanksgiving onward really didn't begin in middle-America until 80's at the earliest, perhaps even later.  I mean, I don't remember Black Friday, buying a tree that night, and trimming it the weekend after Turkey Day before school started.  It happened much later.  The small handful of holiday parties we got invited to with a kid's portion for dad's work or the neighborhood, they didn't happen until we were off for Holiday Break which wasn't the 2.5 week sabbatical it is today, but less than two weeks.  Not a "walked up hill both ways in the snow deal"......I just think you could make a venn diagram between how early Christmas bullshit gets started this year and the fact that we have so much more shit to fit into that window.

Jamie Lee Curtis is lovely, and had a wonderfully robust juxtaposition.  Say that three times fast.  

And we're all waxing (our dick) nostalgic.  Her rack does not hold a yuletide candle to Daddario in 'True Detective.'  And there's nothing wrong with that.  Chris Evert doesn't hold a candle to Anna Kornikova.  Somehow, the Earth keeps spinning.  

Jamie Lee Curtis is lovely, and had a wonderfully robust juxtaposition.  Say that three times fast.  
And we're all waxing (our dick) nostalgic.  Her rack does not hold a yuletide candle to Daddario in 'True Detective.'  And there's nothing wrong with that.  Chris Evert doesn't hold a candle to Anna Kornikova.  Somehow, the Earth keeps spinning.  

I use the J Evans Pritchard scale when comparing the greatness of boobies.
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I don’t know the scale. But it sounds quite fetching.  

8 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I use the J Evans Pritchard scale when comparing the greatness of boobies.

Dead Poets Society.  The scale for measuring the greatness of a poem, based on two attributes plotted on the x and y axes of a graph-- perfection, and importance.  It could also be applied to rating racks.

In this case I'd say that JLC's rack rates higher in importance, especially to teenaged utee94 sneaking peaks at it on HBO when I wasn't supposed to be watching.  But I'd definitely put AD's rack higher on the perfection scale.  The area under the line would represent the absolute total greatness.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, mdleast said:

On a somewhat related Christmas Eve note, from watching a lot of Christmas episodes of old 70s and 80s sitcoms over the years, I’m always fascinated that they have the main characters buying a Christmas tree to put up and decorate…on Christmas Eve

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's not what my family or most families I know did, but I had a couple of friends in the early 80s whose parents bought the tree on Christmas Eve, and trimmed it that night while the kids were asleep.  Then the kids woke up to both a fully trimmed tree, and Santa presents, on Christmas morning.  It was apparently a German tradition?  

Anyway my folks both worked half-days on Christmas Eve and NYE.  Their firms would never have dreamed of having the company Christmas party on Christmas Eve, that's when everyone went to church for Christmas Eve candlelight services.  Company Christmas parties were on the 2nd or 3rd weekend of December, same as they are now.

It's definitely a German tradition.

When my mother was a kid, she would go to bed on Christmas Eve and there wouldn't be a speck of Christmas decoration up.  When she woke up on Christmas morning, the presents would be out and the entire house decorated by Santa.

Spare a thought for my grandparents for a moment.  Of course, they went to Midnight Mass.  They're not getting home from church and getting those kids to bed before 2:00.  And you know those fucking kids are getting up at 7:00 at the very latest.  So they have five hours not only to get the presents set out, but to get the tree dragged in and decorated and to put fucking garland all around the house and shit.  They were out on a farm, so I'm sure they could stage it all in the barn.  But shit--that's a huge overnight undertaking.

Fuck that shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Snow storm/blizzard? Sure. I’m sure it happens in December every blue moon. Enough to merit snowmobiles as part of the escape plan? No. It’s fucking absurd. 

Or...they were just reacting to the facts on the ground.  Used the gigantic budget they had(based on flight control electronics in church), went to the local Yamaha dealer and made some snowmobile salesmens year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Looking back on a the few photos we have of childhood christmas from 70's, 80's and the even fewer timestamps on the back...it did seem like dad's christmas parties were closer to Christmas Eve (a couple even being daytime brunch of 12/24 proper), and a few that suggest christmas tree was not "trimmed" until just a few days before Christ's Birthday.  And this was awhile ago, but not like multiple generations ago.  

Ain't no War on Christmas.  But our collective crowd-sourced memory does suggest that the full throttle celebration of Christmas from Thanksgiving onward really didn't begin in middle-America until 80's at the earliest, perhaps even later.  I mean, I don't remember Black Friday, buying a tree that night, and trimming it the weekend after Turkey Day before school started.  It happened much later.  The small handful of holiday parties we got invited to with a kid's portion for dad's work or the neighborhood, they didn't happen until we were off for Holiday Break which wasn't the 2.5 week sabbatical it is today, but less than two weeks.  Not a "walked up hill both ways in the snow deal"......I just think you could make a venn diagram between how early Christmas bullshit gets started this year and the fact that we have so much more shit to fit into that window.

Exactly.    For us Gen Xers, there was a gap between Thanksgiving and Christmas, decoration wise.   It was always the outlier when Foley's or Dillards at them mall would have stuff up shortly after Thanksgiving.    There was almost nothing else up until much closer to Christmas.   None of of this 35 Days Of Christmas bullshit we have now.  

Yeah, this is weirding out the wife and I to think about but it really didn't seem to all start (and we were looking through old family photos and movies to validate it) until around the time we were dismissed from school for holiday break.  It was maybe 10-14 days before Christmas that the tree would be trimmed, parties would be hosted, gifts would be set under the tree, etc.  Lake Street & State Street in downtown Chicago, nothing was put up until the 1st of December in terms of street decorations.  Now, it's fully adorned after Halloween.  

Nowadays, my street is putting lights up before Thanksgiving and everything is pretty much set and done before the end of the first week of December.  Kinda weirding me out to think about how this all changed from the time I was in grade school to kids of my own in grade school.  That's a complete, tectonic, cultural shift in our biggest holiday in just a three decades.  that's pretty weird to see unfold when you look back on it.  Next time somebody you love bitches about the War on Christmas, remind them "Christmas Season" didn't start when we were kids until a few days before the Solstice.  Now, if you get a "Happy Holidays", smile and nod because it happened on Columbus Day.  

I'm looking at a photograph of me putting up lights on the new tree with the Fotomat stamp on the back DEC 15 83.  And there's nothing else up in the room yet either and only a handful of presents thus far.  And it's only that early because Dad was a german stickler for schedules (not Hans Gruber level, but close), and Mom loved the 12 days of Christmas deal.  We went out caroling that same night in 20 degree weather.  And the whole of Christmas season lived in our hearts and homes for not even two weeks but it was wonderful.  Now I gotta pretend your business decorations and preferred non-secular greetings mean all of jackshit to me.  

Little did I know at the time, but that same day, DEC 15 83, a Japanese architect named Tange Kenzo would unfurl a set of design sketches for a Mr. Takagi for a grand vision he had for Nakatomi's footprint in the Americas.  Four short years later, the notion of a truncated Christmas Season would take on a whole new meaning...

tl;dr, ho-ho-ho...

Edited by YGIFS

On 12/14/2022 at 10:28 AM, YGIFS said:

It was maybe 10-14 days before Christmas that the tree would be trimmed, parties would be hosted, gifts would be set under the tree, etc. 

I'm not sure that's a universal experience for GenXers, at least not here in this part of the country.  My birthday is on December 7th and my parents didn't want me to feel like my birthday was getting mixed up with Christmas, so they had a specific rule and always deliberately waited until after the 7th, to trim the tree and put up all of the other Christmas decorations.  But that was the exception.  On our block and amongst my friends, we were later than most.  The first weekend of December was pretty common from my viewpoint, here in Austin.

But it definitely wasn't on or before Thanksgiving.  That's a much more recent phenomenon.

Edited by utee94

Only a 17-say window on which to celebrate your birthday?   We are sorry for your childhood struggles ;)   

my birthday has always fallen on or around Memorial Day.  Growing up that long weekend was my About my Dad and his Navy buddies getting together to barbecue and talk about friends they lost on river boats in Vietnam.  And sometimes I’d get to sip a beer.  

and one day I got my Own group of friends and we took down Nguyen Plaza on Tetmas Eve

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Only a 17-say window on which to celebrate your birthday?   We are sorry for your childhood struggles ;)   

my birthday has always fallen on or around Memorial Day.  Growing up that long weekend was my About my Dad and his Navy buddies getting together to barbecue and talk about friends they lost on river boats in Vietnam.  And sometimes I’d get to sip a beer.  

and one day I got my Own group of friends and we took down Nguyen Plaza on Tetmas Eve

Hey, I didn't say I was particularly SUFFERING or anything. And I'm pretty sure it was my mom's idea, not mine, to delay decorating until after my bday.  

It seems considerate and all, but it still didn't help to prevent the dreaded "combination birthday/Christmas present" which was NEVER as good, as getting two separate presents.  All my fellow December bday sufferers, help me testify!

Edited by utee94
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2022 at 11:12 PM, YGIFS said:

This is the kind of intellectual conversation I come here for.

• Haha 2

On 12/13/2022 at 11:12 PM, YGIFS said:

A simpler time, before the rumor of her being born with a penis. 

Dead Poets Society.  The scale for measuring the greatness of a poem, based on two attributes plotted on the x and y axes of a graph-- perfection, and importance.  It could also be applied to rating racks.
In this case I'd say that JLC's rack rates higher in importance, especially to teenaged utee94 sneaking peaks at it on HBO when I wasn't supposed to be watching.  But I'd definitely put AD's rack higher on the perfection scale.  The area under the line would represent the absolute total greatness.

Excrement. That's what I think of Mr. J.
Evans Pritchard. We're not laying pipe, we're talking about boobies. I mean, how can you describe breasts like American Bandstand? I like Jennifer Love Hewitt’s rack, I give them a 42, but I can't dance to it.
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:52 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure.  As long as he's not a dumbass I don't care if he cusses on his own time around his peers and the like. I'm sure he will. Just don't get caught doing it by someone that's going to tattle to me about it and expect me to do something about it or I will delete the R rated movies from his life if I ever hear "But dad let me blah blah blah"

Hope the poor kid at least has a friend named Schwartz he can blame it on. God forbid he says that he learned it from you!  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Hope the poor kid at least has a friend named Schwartz he can blame it on. God forbid he says that he learned it from you!  

Oh he can blame me all he wants. He will just lose for it. We don’t cuss (much) around them bc they are kids and that’s a bad example and sort of tacky. If he’s not smart enough to know when he can get away with stuff and when he can’t I will be disappointed I’m raising a moron.