Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

Brian Perroni: New Top247 sees moves for Texas A&M commits, targets

Though it had seen some minor changes, Wednesday brings the first fullscale update to the Top247 for the Class of 2020 in quite some time. Not surprisingly, there have been some major shakeups. As far as Texas A&M fans are concerned, the biggest one is the rise of Tomball wide receiver Demond Demas, the highest-ranked Aggie pledge. The 6-foot-4, 210-pound junior jumps up to the No. 19 overall prospect in the country after previously being at No. 42. He is also the No. 2 receiver in the country.

After a junior year that saw him average over 30 yards per catch and score 30 touchdowns in different phases of the game, there is a chance he moves up even higher by the time all is said and done. Demas is an incredible athlete that has also been told by several schools that he can play basketball and run track. He just has never had a bunch of eyes on him in person as he played his junior season at HISD program North Forest.

Cibolo Steele cornerback Jaylon Jones, who committed to the Aggies earlier this month on Super Bowl Sunday, saw a big jump as well. Previously just outside the top 100 at No. 101, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound defender now comes in at No. 63 overall. A big defensive back, Jones was a big head-to-head win over Texas. The other in-state Texas A&M pledge that was previously in the Top247 moved up as well. Fort Bend Kempner offensive guard Akinola Ogunbiyi is ranked No. 209 now after previously coming in at No. 234.

The same day that Jones committed earlier this month, the Aggies also received a pledge from Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep defensive back Major Burns. He was ranked as a three-star prospect prior to Wednesday's update but now comes in at No. 229 overall in the country. The new rating makes him a four-star prospect in the composite rankings as well.

In the state of Texas, North Shore running back Zachary Evans remains the top-ranked prospect this time around. He did fall ever-so-slightly to No. 10 from No. 6. Coming in at No. 2 is a bit of a surprise but Denton Ryan athlete Drew Sanders has very, very good film and is the No. 14 prospect nationally. The 6-foot-5, 220-pound junior will likely play outside linebacker at the next level. Despite having made a very early commitment to Oklahoma as a sophomore, Sanders has been to Aggieland multiple times and is still being pursued heavily by A&M.

Demas comes in as the No. 3 Texas prospect with Aledo running back and Oklahoma pledge Jase McClellan (No. 28 overall) and Port Neches-Groves offensive tackle and Texas commit Jaylen Garth (No. 38 overall) rounding out the top 5. All five were very highly-ranked in the recent GigEm247 Texas Top 100 as well.

As for the rest of the top 10 in the state, Duncanville athlete Ja'Quinden Jackson moved up seven spots to No. 42 overall, Longview quarterback Haynes King came from outside the Top247 to No. 43, Jones is at No. 63, Rockwall wide receiver and Ohio State pledge Jaxon Smith-Njigba is at No. 66 after being outside the Top247 previously and Carthage offensive tackle Ty'kieast Crawford is No. 69 after also previously coming in outside the Top247.

As for other major Aggie targets, Fort Bend Marshall's Malik Hornsby is ranked as the No. 2 quarterback in the state of Texas and the No. 78 prospect overall. His teammate, running back/slot receiver Devon Achane was previously a four-star but outside the Top247. After an incredible junior season, the speedy playmaker comes in at No. 107 overall. Both players have Crystal Ball predictions for the Aggies. Athens offensive lineman Garrett Hayes, who was offered by the Aggies last week, saw a huge jump as well. He moved up from a three-star to the No. 110 prospect in the country. He is high on A&M and plans to visit soon.

Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive end Alfred Collins is ranked No. 126 after previously being outside the Top247. He looks to be an A&M/Texas battle. Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford also made the move from outside the Top247 and is now No. 128. Mesquite Poteet running back Seth McGowan moved up to No. 131 from previously being No. 220. He has A&M in his top group of schools. Frisco Lone Star wide receiver Marvin Mims moved up nine spots to No. 133 while Houston Cy Ridge defensive end Vernon Broughton makes his debut at No. 137.

Duncanville safety Chris Thompson Jr. fell to No. 153 after previously being ranked No. 51. Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire dropped 14 spots to No. 154. Mansfield Timberview cornerback Jalen Kimber has a number of Crystal Ball predictions for A&M. He was previously ranked as a three-star but is now the No. 182 overall prospect. Cedar Hill Trinity Christian defensive back Dwight McGlothern is now No. 189 after coming in at No. 32 in the prior rankings. Newton defensive end James Sylvester dropped 14 spots to No. 226.

Outside the borders of the state of Texas, the Aggies were recently the first Power 5 offer for Notasulga (Ala.) Reeltown athlete Eric Shaw. He moves up to a four-star and has a top three of A&M, Auburn and Notre Dame. Also, Sammamish (Wash.) Eastside Catholic running back Sam Adams II, an Aggie legacy, makes a big jump to No. 100 from his previous spot at No. 247. He has two Crystal Ball predictions for A&M.

The Top247 makes up part of the industry-generated 247Sports composite rating. It is the composite that is used to determine the team rankings.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Would be their 1st true OT take in like 3 classes.

his mom played basketball at Aggy and there are no actual OTs in front of him on the roster, but it appears that one of the Aggy sites (TexAgs, I think) is saying that he is an OU lean. Maybe they are saying it simply to create a H2H win, but that's interesting for sure. He's also visiting TCU this Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hahahah. Had to look it up. Chase Rogers and it was Rusty or something along those lines that was beating the drum for him even like a year after he had already signed with ULL. 

Might have done the modern Red Shirt this past year. Played 8 games his true freshman year and then 3 games this past year.  #cantmissTE

https://ragincajuns.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6378

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Is "uphill battle" the new "he really wanted to come here" or "he likes us more than most think"?

In my opinion the second part of that sentence is the best: "...but he has more interest in A&M now than he did before."  It's like saying, "...but he knows who we are!"  Reminds me of Navin Johnson seeing his name in the phonebook.  "I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this book every day!  This is the kind of spontaneous publicity, you're name in print, that makes people.  I'm in print!  Things are going to start happening to me now!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

In my opinion the second part of that sentence is the best: "...but he has more interest in A&M now than he did before."  It's like saying, "...but he knows who we are!"  Reminds me of Navin Johnson seeing his name in the phonebook.  "I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this book every day!  This is the kind of spontaneous publicity, you're name in print, that makes people.  I'm in print!  Things are going to start happening to me now!"

My favorite part was that the question was asking Perroni which they would land out of Broughton and Collins (because aggies are just assuming they're going to split). He called Broughton an uphill battle but didn't even mention Collins

27 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

My favorite part was that the question was asking Perroni which they would land out of Broughton and Collins (because aggies are just assuming they're going to split). He called Broughton an uphill battle but didn't even mention Collins

One of their mods awhile back started the line thinking that there was no way Broughton and Collins would go to the same school, like they're QBs or something, and their potato fanbase is still doesn't understand that there wasn't anything to that 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

One of their mods awhile back started the line thinking that there was no way Broughton and Collins would go to the same school, like they're QBs or something, and their potato fanbase is still doesn't understand that there wasn't anything to that 

You can't take two DE's in a class same as you can't take two OT's stupid sip. Jimbo found the loophole by taking 5 guards birtch. #WRTS

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fud said:

41 minutes ago, Scholz said:

giphy.gif

Can we get a Photoshop of their stadium filled with potatoes in the seats

Edited by GotThatFire
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fud said:

I noticed recently that when one of them asked about the split Perroni had shifted to 'I said it would be a good haul to split' rather than saying he thought they would split

39 minutes ago, golfclap said:

If you haven’t seen this thread yet, it’s exactly what you think it would be. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Jaylon-Jones-Tape-129579954/

47-BF5-C9-B-F8-EE-4039-83-DE-8780-A719-E

Holy shit a self aware aggy? I am actually a little kinder than he is. I think he could be a slightly worse version of Boyd as a CB. That being said he could be a pretty good Safety.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lulz so it's OK if they miss on Collins and Broughton they'll just land OOS guys.  Flip the script on this and it's "Herman is getting his ass kicked by Jimbo in-state."

As it is, the narrative is "Jimbo is such a good recruiter he can recruit sec-ready players from anywhere in the country."

19 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Dr. Pepper gets straight to the point of calling Perroni out on his bullshit.

DP: "Since you've been covering A&M, have they ever won an uphill battle recruitment?"

<mic drop>

Won halftime, doesn't matter.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:17 PM, texifornia said:

Oh you poor thing

He's not the first person to make that mistake.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:22 PM, RGBIII said:

That was the worst thing I’ve ever read. Some old aggy has that quote cross stitched and hanging above their fireplace 

worst_thing_ever_the_princess_bride.gif

On 2/27/2019 at 3:30 PM, TheFlyingBoat said:

Still killed Bin Laden and he's still my Chancellor no matter what the fuckwads at the BoR say 😢

Damn straight...'Merica!

BIQDQp2CAAIIBGC.jpg

Fish+Food.png