Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

I think it is difficult to compare the individual players but it's easier to look at the relative strengths of position groups. 2020 seems much deeper with elite prospects on both lines, RB and CB. The 2019 class at WR was much, much deeper even though we did particularly shitty in state (but more than made up for it OOS). 2019 was also much better at TE. Both classes look pretty good for S. Neither class looks very good for LB. Neither year is particularly deep at QB. Advantage Aggy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

IF 2020 is a little less talented then they’re really fucked for this class because we are taking who we want along the lines and they’re about to lose their best o lineman. All this while trying to rebuild from sumlins soft ass players. 

Stupid sip, go look at all the crystal ball picks for 2021 class.  Jimbo got this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No worries they just offered a 277 pound diamond in the rough tackle from Athens. Daddy98 will not like that he isn't already 340.

Daddy98 has been watching film on My 600 Pound Life. He's found some real run-stoppers who will clog up the middle...and all the toilets.

55 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

speaking of explosive 330-lbers....

45 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I bet she could move a grown man against his will.

The thing is, she herself pretty much has Surly's measure:

"Yeah, I know where I rank. You'd do me, but you wouldn't brag about it."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Is there an objective way to measure this? Like # of Texas recruits in the Top 300 or something? 

It was my impression the state was deeper this year as well but maybe that perception was influenced by the Evans' of the world. 

Objectively? Sure; well at least as objective as the composite rankings are to begin with. Classes are remarkably similar actually. Looks like on a national level the ceiling was bit higher and the floor was a bit lower.  This of course ignores mental evaluations and potential nonqualifiers etc.  The idea that Aggy is purposefully slower to recruit this year is aggy rationalization to a crappy start.  Will actually be interesting to see how this changes throughout the year and if I get bored I will go back and look at 2018 as well.

2019 TX recruits

17 in the top 100, 8 from 100-200, and 12 from 200-300. Total of 37 TX players in top 300.

Total Average .9451
top 100 avg .9739
100-200 avg .9392
200-300 avg .9083

2020 TX recruits

15 in the top 100, 10 from 100-200, and 12 from 200-300. Total of 37 TX players in top 300.

Total Average .9426
top 100 avg .9715
100-200 avg .9370
200-300 avg .9110
Edited by Enchubben
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Objectively? Sure; well at least as objective as the composite rankings are to begin with. Classes are remarkably similar actually. Looks like on a national level the ceiling was bit higher and the floor was a bit lower.  This of course ignores mental evaluations and potential nonqualifiers etc.  The idea that Aggy is purposefully slower to recruit this year is aggy rationalization to a crappy start. 

2019 TX recruits

17 in the top 100, 25 in top 200, and 37 in the top 300.

Total Average .9451
top 100 avg .9739
100-200 avg .9392
200-300 avg .9083

2020 TX recruits

15 in the top 100, 25 in the top 200, and 37 in the top 300.

Total Average .9426
top 100 avg .9715
100-200 avg .9370
200-300 avg .9110 

Yeah we're not having to toss a third of the top ten for mental evals (Beason/Henderson/Brooks) and another half for strong early aggy/OU commits (Richardson/Williams/KGreen/Wease/Bridges) like last year, so it feels like there's so many more options

Edited by texifornia

So is jimbo conceding the top of the 2020 class already, going to take easy pickings out of lower ranked prospects, eat the small and low ranked 2020 class, and focus on getting a head start in 2021?

So lots of “trust our evals” and “less than expected attrition due to complete team buy-in” and “looking great for 2021” sprinkled into all of the 2020 updates for the next 10 months?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So is jimbo conceding the top of the 2020 class already, going to take easy pickings out of lower ranked prospects, eat the small and low ranked 2020 class, and focus on getting a head start in 2021?

So lots of “trust our evals” and “less than expected attrition due to complete team buy-in” and “looking great for 2021” sprinkled into all of the 2020 updates for the next 10 months?

Somebody needs to tell Bilbo that he's not going to improve his team's draft position by throwing the 2019 season.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Objectively? Sure; well at least as objective as the composite rankings are to begin with. Classes are remarkably similar actually. Looks like on a national level the ceiling was bit higher and the floor was a bit lower.  This of course ignores mental evaluations and potential nonqualifiers etc.  The idea that Aggy is purposefully slower to recruit this year is aggy rationalization to a crappy start.  Will actually be interesting to see how this changes throughout the year and if I get bored I will go back and look at 2018 as well.

2019 TX recruits

17 in the top 100, 8 from 100-200, and 12 from 200-300. Total of 37 TX players in top 300.

Total Average .9451
top 100 avg .9739
100-200 avg .9392
200-300 avg .9083

2020 TX recruits

15 in the top 100, 10 from 100-200, and 12 from 200-300. Total of 37 TX players in top 300.

Total Average .9426
top 100 avg .9715
100-200 avg .9370
200-300 avg .9110

I would be curious what the numbers would look like over a 5 year period. I was under the impression that the ranking sites have a quota system, where states like Texas, Florida, and Cali will have between, say, 35-40 recruits in a Top 300 (or 30-35 in a Top 247). Basically, you want to cover all your major fan bases and keep them happy, so the numbers of elite ranked players is fairly stable in the big college football states.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

2019 TX recruits

Total Average .9451
top 100 avg .9739
100-200 avg .9392
200-300 avg .9083

2020 TX recruits

Total Average .9426
top 100 avg .9715
100-200 avg .9370
200-300 avg .9110

+ rep for posting this. 

So from a national perception at last the state of Texas is roughly on par with 2019. 

6 minutes ago, texastough said:

He has elite attitude

I'm told by sources close to the kid that he wants to major in civil engineering, he's high on the aggy network, knows the value of an aggie degree after football, wants to play in front huge SEC crowds, he's formed a close relationship with Jimbo, and when the aggie coaches talked to him recently they knocked it out of the park.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bizzle said:

not sure how big he can get or what his upside is, but the guy definitely likes to go after people in a very entertaining way.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8503951/5bfed08764e0950aa8262cbb

Actually he seems like a Herman type lineman vs a traditional Jimbo one. He made me chuckle a few times desperately looking for more people to hit. From the little I have seen it is a solid eval. 

14 minutes ago, Caddox said:

What makes them think they're in such a strong position for the 2021 class?

They're behind the 8 ball in the 2020 class so their hive mind propaganda to salve their wounded pride is that the 2021 class is better.  Also, they're liars.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

+ rep for posting this. 

So from a national perception at last the state of Texas is roughly on par with 2019. 

Yes, and 2018 is probably slightly behind both of those classes, but only ever so slightly.   Comparing the two programs on a year by year basis is fun and all, and I will come back and make a more in depth post with some stats, but this only compares TX classes from year to year vs the national recruits and not necessarily against each other. (ie its 2018 TX vs national and 2019 TX vs national much more than TX 2018 vs TX 2019).

What is painfully obvious, and is predictable as hell if you pay any sort of attention, is that when Texas went oos to bolster a limited in-state class in 2019, we got exceptional talent, and a lot of it.  When Aggy went oos to bolster their limited in-state class in 2018, they got bread, and not very much of it.  This is probably partly due to it being Jimbo's transition class, but partly because of the nationwide perception of Aggy vs The University of Texas.

When UT, OU and Aggy split the in state top 300 recruits evenly, Aggy will struggle to keep up because they will never recruit oos like UT and OU. 2020 will likely be a great example of what's to come, and if Texas reaches the playoff over the next two years, 2018 will likely be the norm again with a sprinkling in of exceptional talent from out west.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni piece about Jimbo "trusting" his staff's evals on lower ranked kids.  Also throws a line about aggy potentially having the top class in 2021.  As usual the comments turn into Texas related.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Jimbo-Fisher-recruiting-rankings-Texas-AM-129502208/

From that article :: 

Before that, defensive coordinator Mike Elko stopped by Bastrop Cedar Creek, a school that has never had an FBS prospect, to see then-sophomore defensive end Alfred Collins in the spring. He was invited to camp and A&M became the first to offer. He is now a four-star prospect and one of the most-coveted defenders in the Lone Star State.

GTFO. Perroni trying to credit Mike Elko with "finding" Alfred Fucking Collins? Like he was some unknown sleeper? Even for Hamm Lite that is some horseshit. 

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It is at most positions, with DB and QB being the only exceptions I can think of. Maybe WR depending on how Mims and some of these other guys end up. Not even close on DL. although I think Green and Johnson are probably better than anyone in-state on OL, the depth is much, much better this year. 

But remember they judge the state’s talent by the guys they’re likely to get. It truly is incredible how many elite in-state prospects aren’t even giving aggy a serious look. I really am shocked. I figured Jimbo and co.’s emphasis on recruiting over quality coaching and tendency to misplace bags of cash would mean they were in it for more top kids in-state this year. ..

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think it is difficult to compare the individual players but it's easier to look at the relative strengths of position groups. 2020 seems much deeper with elite prospects on both lines, RB and CB. The 2019 class at WR was much, much deeper even though we did particularly shitty in state (but more than made up for it OOS). 2019 was also much better at TE. Both classes look pretty good for S. Neither class looks very good for LB. Neither year is particularly deep at QB. Advantage Aggy.

Would others agree that 2020 is deeper across the DL with regards to 4* and up talent, but that 2019's DeMarvin Leal (.9920) is a better DL prospect than any in 2020?

I know he went aggy, but even with the adjustment from year-to-year, there's no way that Broughton or Collins could reach anything close to that.

I just saw that DT Branard Wright (.9514) is currently the highest ranked DL, but Leal didn't start off as a 5*... meaning rankings change and Broughton (.9431) and/or Collins (.9043) could pass Wright, but won't get near the sure thing that Leal was considered.

OTHER NOTES: 247 has WDE Alec Bryant (.9362) and WDE James Sylvester (.9217) way above SDE Alfred Collins (.9043) in its current composite.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Would others agree that 2020 is deeper across the DL with regards to 4* and up talent, but that 2019's DeMarvin Leal (.9920) is a better DL prospect than any in 2020? 

I know he went aggy, but even with the adjustment from year-to-year, there's no way that Broughton or Collins could reach anything close to that.

I just saw that DT Branard Wright (.9514) is currently the highest ranked DL, but Leal didn't start off as a 5*... meaning rankings change and Broughton (.9431) and/or Collins (.9043) could pass Wright, but won't get near the sure thing that Leal was considered. 

OTHER NOTES: 247 has WDE Alec Bryant (.9362) and WDE James Sylvester (.9217) way above SDE Alfred Collins (.9043) in its current composite.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

Broughton or Collins could easily approach his ranking. They have a ton of hype going into their senior years, so with good film they could move way up.

Hell, look at Tyler Owens.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm hopeful but not confident. Well see if his weight and measurements this past weekend hold him back. He's a b-backer for UT and probably an OLB in other schemes at this time.

...a 6' 5", 275 lb. linebacker? That'd be interesting 😁

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

24/7 is updating tomorrow, teasing significant changes.  So your numbers may not be accurate in 24 hours.