Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

37 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Would others agree that 2020 is deeper across the DL with regards to 4* and up talent, but that 2019's DeMarvin Leal (.9920) is a better DL prospect than any in 2020?

I know he went aggy, but even with the adjustment from year-to-year, there's no way that Broughton or Collins could reach anything close to that.

I just saw that DT Branard Wright (.9514) is currently the highest ranked DL, but Leal didn't start off as a 5*... meaning rankings change and Broughton (.9431) and/or Collins (.9043) could pass Wright, but won't get near the sure thing that Leal was considered.

OTHER NOTES: 247 has WDE Alec Bryant (.9362) and WDE James Sylvester (.9217) way above SDE Alfred Collins (.9043) in its current composite.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX

2020 is definitely deeper. It already looks like it has 4-5 DL that are all better than the second best DL in-state last year, and that’s without any late bloomers.

i don’t agree at all on Collins or Broughton. If Broughton has a good senior year, he could easily be right up where Leal was. If I had to guess, I’d say Leal ends up the better prospect but Broughton has potential to be in that range if he keeps developing. Collins likely won’t be as high because he’s raw and still growing into his body a lot, but he might have the highest ceiling of all three. 

While we’re  on player comps, Collins reminds me of a rich man’s Omenihu in that he could develop into a physical monster after 1-2 years, but I think he has better bend and ability to rush off the edge than Omenihu did.

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

<whatever A&M has> is better than t.u. you stupid sip!!!!!!

smaller stadium = more intimate

bigger stadium = more popular

Kevin Sumlin is their coach and Mack Brown is ours = you want a hungry young up and comer coach not some broken down old has been

Jimbo Fisher is their coach and Tom Herman is ours = you want a coach with a national championship pedigree not some unproven young punk

recruiting class of mostly Texas kids = WRTS

recruiting class with a heavy OOS presence = we're a national property, we have to recruit across the US because Jimbo takes the best of the best wherever they're from and the state of Texas doesn't have enough SEC ready talent to win all the national titles Jimbo wants to deliver

Some animals are more equal than others...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni piece about Jimbo "trusting" his staff's evals on lower ranked kids.  Also throws a line about aggy potentially having the top class in 2021.  As usual the comments turn into Texas related.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Jimbo-Fisher-recruiting-rankings-Texas-AM-129502208/

Comment from that post:

"Jimbo was traditionally more of a late closer at FSU than he did classes like ours in 2019."

This is not true in the slightest. Then again, Aggy makes up any and all kinds of shit to fit their narrative so...par for the course. Bowden was the late closer at FSU. Jimbo typically took the approach of stockpiling early and then working to keep recruits.

That generally worked for him at FSU because he was recruiting to a more recognizable, higher-tier brand. He doesn't have that luxury at Aggy. He also didn't have a lot of competition in-state early on at FSU. Da U and the Gators both sucked and Clemson wasn't even a blip on the radar. 

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Kid goes to Austin and asks why in the fuck those podunk towns still use land lines. And then asks what the fuck a long distance call is.

Austin: Billions of dollars of investment from Apple and tens of billions in investment in mobile hardware/chipset technology by Apple, ARM, Qualcomm, Samsung, etc. plus hundreds of billions in general tech related investment by tons of companies and the top engineering/science university in the state (you can look at ARWU, Nature, USNews, THE, QS, etc. and also the list of accomplishments by students and faculty of the school (recent Nobel Prizes, Djikstra (RIP), Dell, etc.))

College Station: Landline to nowhere?

I wonder where smart kids see a future?

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
Fixed parentheses
  • Like 2

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

The latest good one from that thread.

Yep, ultimately there's just not many in-state prospects that we would absolutely take a commitment from today (Evans, Omeire, Hornsby, Broughton, Collins, possibly Alford). 

Dude thinks Xavion Alford and Jaylon Jones are the two best in-state DBs. Lol.

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

That was the worst thing I’ve ever read. Some old aggy has that quote cross stitched and hanging above their fireplace 

More like a poor football recruit goes on visits to Alabama, FSU, and Aggie. On his visit to Alabama, the recruit tells coach Saban that he lives with his grandma because his momma passed away. Saban tells the recruit, "Here is $500 to help your momma Roll with the Tide to heaven". The recruit then goes to FSU where Coach Taggart tells him, he can give the recruit $1000 and free shoes so his momma can walk to the pearly gates. Finally, the recruit goes to College Station and tells Coach Fisher that he doesn't have money to send his momma to heaven. Coach Fisher then proudly bellows, "Son, we already took care of everything. We have a guy at Greyhound who brought us your momma so we could bury her right here in heaven". 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Austin: Billions of dollars of investment from Apple and tens of billions in investment in mobile hardware/chipset technology by Apple, ARM, Qualcomm, Samsung, etc. plus hundreds of billions in general tech related investment by tons of companies and the top engineering/science university in the state (you can look at ARWU, Nature, USNews, THE, QS, etc. and also the list of accomplishments by students and faculty of the school (recent Nobel Prizes, Djikstra (RIP), Dell, etc.))

College Station: Landline to nowhere?

I wonder where smart kids see a future?

Reminds me of an Ozzy song, as it relates to Hwy 6...

The Road To Nowhere

44 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

pretty sure i told that joke (but with austin) in junior high in the late 80's.

it doesn't hold up well, and with an adult telling it...yeah.

that joke is exactly like the jokes they tell at Yell Practice the night before a game

DID YALL HEAR ABOUT THE TSIPPER WHO THEY MADE ADMIRAL OF THE NAVY WELL HE GOT FIRED SEE CUZ SEE CUZ HE WAS PUTTIN SCREEN DOORS ON ALL THE SUBMARINES

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that joke is exactly like the jokes they tell at Yell Practice the night before a game

DID YALL HEAR ABOUT THE TSIPPER WHO THEY MADE ADMIRAL OF THE NAVY WELL HE GOT FIRED SEE CUZ SEE CUZ HE WAS PUTTIN SCREEN DOORS ON ALL THE SUBMARINES

WHY DID THE T-SIP SAY MAKE LIKE A TREE AND SHOVE OFF? CUZ HE WAS SO DARN STUPID!

• Haha 1

Haha shut up. Our admiral kicks ass!!caf33262b5899200f6655b0190891ad2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Aggy is realizing Hornsby might not be a QB that can pass, but only because he dropped behind Hayes King. Not because they notice reality. 

I really hope he commits to them so they can start defending him as he drops further 

His long delivery and related accuracy problems seem to be getting worse not better and he’s rail thin.

I thought at this time last year, he would fill out some and refine his mechanics. That has not been happening at all. He’s definitely trending more and more towards bust. Kind of reminds me of Sean Robinson. He can run and had a big arm as a sophomore, so he got ranked super high early, but never actually turns into a good QB and just keeps falling in the rankings.

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

12:03p

Staff

- Aldine MacArthur CB Josh Eaton will be making a day trip to College Station tomorrow with Fast Houston coach Ro Simon. Eaton has been one of the fastest rising corners in the state in 2019. His offer list over the last couple of months has exploded. I'd put he and Little Elm's Ryan Watts in the same category of passing the eye ball test immediately at corner. Both guys make you say, "who is that" as soon as they walk in. 

- Staying the secondary, Baton Rouge (LA) ATH Joel Williams told me last night that he's planning a return trip to College Station in March, around the same time as he's planning to make a decision. A&M has been trending here as the in-state/town Tigers make a push. "I love Texas A&M, man," Williams told me. The 6-2, 180 pounder could play corner, safety, or wide receiver, but I'd bet he finds himself on the back end of a defense in college. 

- The Aggies offered one of the best interior offensive linemen on the West Coast yesterday as Myles Murao from Mater Dei HS (Santa Ana, CA). Murao checks in at just over 6-3 and 275 pounds. He holds offers from all the big programs out west as well Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Michigan, and a host of others. From what I know, he's been in communication with the A&M staff in the last couple of days about a summertime visit. It'd be big to get him on campus. 

- Another out of state, top end OL prospect that we haven't discussed is Broken Arrow (OK) stud Andrew Raym. OU and Notre Dame are the two out front right now, but I've learned that Raym is fond of Josh Henson, and the Aggie staff is in touch. Like Murao, getting Raym on campus would classify as a significant development. 

- A local source has indicated to me that Navasota OL Jordan Jefferson is looking to take some visits. I know he had been thinking about making a trip to Gainesville for Florida's junior day. 

- I spoke with Manor DL Princely Umanmielen this morning about his offer from A&M and what he thought of Terry Price and their relationship. Here's what he had to say:

"When Coach Price called and offered me, I was really excited. Texas A&M is most definitely a school I will highly consider when it's time for me to make my commitment. I am currently building a relationship with Coach Price. We text everyday, and I call him about once a week.

I think I'll be visiting College Station this Friday."

- Don't forget that Oklahoma based DB Myles Slusher is expected in town this Friday, as well.

- CB commit Jaylon Jones told me he's working to get to Aggieland again in order to help build that 2020 class as much as he can. He and Demond Demas have begun really communicating about their futures in College Station. 

- OL commit Josh Bankhead is looking at enrolling early and will meet with counselors next week to explore that option. Academically, it sounds like it's very feasible should Josh and his folks choose to make the move. 

- Don't look now, but RJ Orebo's younger brother Donovan Orebo is starting to grow...and run. The 2022 WR prospect placed second in the 200m in his first varsity track meet, and he's creeping up 6-3. Keep an eye on little brother.