Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

2 hours ago, bizzle said:

is anybody in state pushing that hard for him? don't understand the recruitment. 

also, i would have bet a lot of money on patrick hudson being an all-pro nfl guard. 

Redshirt

tore acl in September of his redshirt freshman year

heat stroke in preseason of year 3. 

He never really got started

On 3/12/2019 at 10:39 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Redshirt

tore acl in September of his redshirt freshman year

heat stroke in preseason of year 3. 

He never really got started

missed the heatstroke part, that sucks. dude's high school film was hilarious.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:33 PM, texifornia said:

He had so much potential. I think given his injuries and the heatstroke, he'd have had to be borderline insane to keep playing.

In high school, I had three serious knee injuries (innumerable sprains) and two surgeries back when those were a bigger deal. It was the era of no physical therapy. The surgery was performed using sharp rocks and kite string. 

Anyways, the last injury was the worst. After surgery, I awoke in my hospital room with Dad and the surgeon standing sadly over me. I knew what they were going to say. I was a promising lineman of that era- quick and big. That was likely over.

As they edged into telling me, I raised a hand from my still partially anesthetized being. "I don't want to do this anymore. It's not fun." I meant the injuries. I hadn't even made it to the first game of the season two years in a row. 

I imagine all the work that these guys put in all year only to be deprived of the fun part is pretty demoralizing. I don't know how elective Hudson's choice was, but I'll be damned if I'd tolerate anyone calling him soft for his decision. 

• Like 5

Tarp's series where he examines the 2/3-deep of each position group for 2019 made it's way to the CB spot and it is delicious :: 

Debione Renfro
The junior was a liability as a freshman as he lacked both recovery speed and experience. Nonetheless, he was a physical presence due to his 6 foot 2 frame and played the position like a strong safety, being a sure tackler when he came down into the box. He played mostly to the field last season where he retained his physicality as a tackler and was better in terms of his ability to play the ball and reading routes. As a result, he saw far fewer passes than the corners opposite him who generally struggled. Overall, his numbers included 31 tackles, a sack and he was third on the Aggies with five pass breakups.

Myles Jones 
The junior had taken over for Charles Oliver on the opposite side after missing a couple of games due to injury. Jones is another corner with length and also had the ball thrown his way a lot.  However, he tended to be more of a deterrent by staying with people, having better ability to play the ball, and then making plays on it.  Jones was at his best in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl when the corners were allowed to use their length and get more physical with wideouts near the line of scrimmage. 

Behind Renfro and Jones, there's a lot of question marks and they may not be answered until the fall. Oliver started most of the season but became a major liability due to his inability to play the ball in the air and a lack of physicality. By the end of the year, he had lost his confidence and his starting gig. He'll spend the spring trying to get it back. Junior college transfer Elijah Blades won't be on campus until the summer and while he has the length of the starters he's got more speed and ball skills. Clifford Chattman is 6 foot 5 and has been the stuff of legend in workouts and spring ball or fall camp with his ability to use his length to disrupt routes and play the ball. Even so, he's never been a factor on the field due to off the field issues and injuries and he's not going to be scrimmaging in the spring. Veteran Travon Fuller appears to be destined to be a career backup.

Most of all, it remains to be seen if A&M coaches will allow the group to use its length like they did in the bowl by jamming receivers nearer the line of scrimmage. That could make the group as a whole better as they could take advantage of their size but as with most of the players at the position this aspect of the defense remains to be seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

In high school, I had three serious knee injuries (innumerable sprains) and two surgeries back when those were a bigger deal. It was the era of no physical therapy. The surgery was performed using sharp rocks and kite string. 

Anyways, the last injury was the worst. After surgery, I awoke in my hospital room with Dad and the surgeon standing sadly over me. I knew what they were going to say. I was a promising lineman of that era- quick and big. That was likely over.

As they edged into telling me, I raised a hand from my still partially anesthetized being. "I don't want to do this anymore. It's not fun." I meant the injuries. I hadn't even made it to the first game of the season two years in a row. 

I imagine all the work that these guys put in all year only to be deprived of the fun part is pretty demoralizing. I don't know how elective Hudson's choice was, but I'll be damned if I'd tolerate anyone calling him soft for his decision. 

I believe that if Kate read this emotional missive about years gone by, defending young Patrick, it would bring a smile to her face.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, golfclap said:

Tarp's series where he examines the 2/3-deep of each position group for 2019 made it's way to the CB spot and it is delicious :: 

Debione Renfro
The junior was a liability as a freshman as he lacked both recovery speed and experience. Nonetheless, he was a physical presence due to his 6 foot 2 frame and played the position like a strong safety, being a sure tackler when he came down into the box. He played mostly to the field last season where he retained his physicality as a tackler and was better in terms of his ability to play the ball and reading routes. As a result, he saw far fewer passes than the corners opposite him who generally struggled. Overall, his numbers included 31 tackles, a sack and he was third on the Aggies with five pass breakups.

Myles Jones 
The junior had taken over for Charles Oliver on the opposite side after missing a couple of games due to injury. Jones is another corner with length and also had the ball thrown his way a lot.  However, he tended to be more of a deterrent by staying with people, having better ability to play the ball, and then making plays on it.  Jones was at his best in the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl when the corners were allowed to use their length and get more physical with wideouts near the line of scrimmage. 

Behind Renfro and Jones, there's a lot of question marks and they may not be answered until the fall. Oliver started most of the season but became a major liability due to his inability to play the ball in the air and a lack of physicality. By the end of the year, he had lost his confidence and his starting gig. He'll spend the spring trying to get it back. Junior college transfer Elijah Blades won't be on campus until the summer and while he has the length of the starters he's got more speed and ball skills. Clifford Chattman is 6 foot 5 and has been the stuff of legend in workouts and spring ball or fall camp with his ability to use his length to disrupt routes and play the ball. Even so, he's never been a factor on the field due to off the field issues and injuries and he's not going to be scrimmaging in the spring. Veteran Travon Fuller appears to be destined to be a career backup.

Most of all, it remains to be seen if A&M coaches will allow the group to use its length like they did in the bowl by jamming receivers nearer the line of scrimmage. That could make the group as a whole better as they could take advantage of their size but as with most of the players at the position this aspect of the defense remains to be seen.

So basically a guy that sucked as a freshman and didn't get picked on his sophomore year because the guy on the other side sucked more.

Then the only backups are a guy who sucks even more than the guy who got picked on, because he got picked on more and really sucks, and another guy who has spent his career as number 2.

secX3 gentlemen. It just means more!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

So basically a guy that sucked as a freshman and didn't get picked on his sophomore year because the guy on the other side sucked more.

Then the only backups are a guy who sucks even more than the guy who got picked on, because he got picked on more and really sucks, and another guy who has spent his career as number 2.

secX3 gentlemen. It just means more!

Oliver actually used to look like a good CB. That new coach pulled a Clay Jennings on him and broke him mentally.

• Like 1

This thread is pure uncut Aggy

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/2020-Offensive-Class-could-be-insane-130070221/

I've generally thought defensive recruiting this cycle will be dicier but the 2020 offense class is different.

We could be looking at

QB- Hornsby or King 
RB- Gibbs/ Adams/McGowen 
WR- Demas, Omeire, Achane 
TE- at least a 4 star, outside shot at Arik Gilbert 
OT- Hayes, Crawford 
G- Chris Morris, Bankhead

It's just overflowing with talent, especially at the offensive skill positions. Jimbo will get to pick his QB.

On paper will probably be the best offensive class we've ever signed this century.

In my opinion if Jimbo wants King he'll get him. If he wants Hornnsy he'll get him. It's just who he wants more.

I'm pretty confident we'll land most of the guys aside from Arik Gilbert.

21 will be our shot to truly have a class of equal caliber to either Bama or UGA.

If we somehow landed Fatheree, Jackson, Connor, Banks, Thompkins DE, Wheaton and then Grimes OOS you could be looking at 7 5 stars already.

Wheaton might end up a generational RB. I think he'll finish as the top player in the country.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

In order to get King, Jimbo would have to, you know, offer him.  But please end up with Hornsby or some Calzada clone from OOS. 

I like how they think they can just go get some 4* TE from anywhere.

I think the biggest tears we'll see from them is with the 2021 guys.  

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Akin to their statements that they can just get guys from California to come when they want.  As if they're a national program.  "If the sips can get all those West Coast guys..."

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

In order to get King, Jimbo would have to, you know, offer him.  But please end up with Hornsby or some Calzada clone from OOS. 

I think the biggest tears we'll see from them is with the 2021 guys.  

Bull shit sip. 5* TE. 

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Akin to their statements that they can just get guys from California to come when they want.  As if they're a national program.  "If the sips can get all those West Coast guys..."

They believe they can recruit Cali and beat Georgia because Texas can.  See, they are still riding big, Longhorn bro's coattails after all.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

1. Glenn Beal

Despite the fact Glenn Beal’s recruitment came down to A&M, Alabama (the Tide wanted him in the worst way down the stretch), Tennessee and LSU, the sophomore tight end’s signing didn’t generate as much buzz as five star true freshman Baylor Cupp did in 2019, and he’s stepping in for a record-setting All-American in Jace Sternberger. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that Beal is flying under the radar. At 6-5 and over 260 pounds, going unnoticed is pretty tough to do, but the Louisiana native won’t be an unknown commodity to A&M fans much longer. 

Sternberger has told me more than once that the big tight end is already on his way to quickly emerging as an exceptional blocker who will be able to do more in the running game than the Aggies were able to do at the position last fall, when both Jace and Trevor Wood were one-and-done in Jimbo Fisher’s system. Beal has also come a long way as a pass-catcher since arriving last summer and he’s a gifted jumbo athlete. He’s not going to be as dynamic as Jace was in the passing game, but the second-year tight end is still going to prove a pretty significant matchup problem for opposing defenders and should give the Ags’ outside run game a big boost beginning this spring.  

2. Keldrick Carper

A junior safety from Louisiana, Carper could be poised to take advantage of what appears to be a wide open race at the position. The 6-2, 200-pounder is an intelligent ballplayer and displays solid range on the back end. He caught my eye during the Ags’ Gator Bowl win over N.C. State, totaling four tackles and looking very active against both the run and pass. Another veteran who has seen plenty of game action as a backup and on special teams over the past two seasons, Keldrick has the respect of the guys on the other side of the ball and will enter the spring looking to catch the eye of DC Mike Elko, who is seeking answers at all four positions and will be looking to identify his nickel and dime men, as well. It wouldn’t surprise me to see #14 emerge as a frontrunner to land one of those roles, as he’s arguably the teams most versatile defensive back.

3. Jayden Peevy

The Aggies could field as good a 1-2 punch as you’ll find in the SEC with Justin Madubuike and Bobby Brown manning the middle, but the fact of the matter is the Ags can go two deep (and then some) with 300-plus pounders blessed with an NFL skill set. Most A&M fans have been expecting Jayden Peevy to emerge as a difference-maker up front, and 2019 could be the season. 

Peevy flashed next-level talent as a true freshman but missed most of the following off-season due to injury. He was playing from behind last fall but did log significant SEC reps, recording a sack against Mississippi State and blocking a pair of field goals versus UAB a couple of weeks later. Peevy is finally healthy and the 6-6, 305-pounder is in the best shape of his career. Most program insiders believe he’s poised for a breakout junior campaign. If that’s going to eventually be the case, he’ll make plenty of noise this spring.

4. Vernon Jackson

When I first saw Vernon Jackson, I’d be willing to bet he was closer to 250 pounds as the do-it-all weapon for Boling High. That’s why I always felt the gifted 6-3 athlete would ultimately line up at either tight end or h-back on offense or, more likely, as a rush end or outside linebacker on D. That’s where Alabama and Nick Saban saw Jackson’s future.

He’s a very large running back who could ultimately run the ball at 240-plus pounds yet he’s just as dangerous when he gets into the open field.

I changed my tune when I saw him late in his recruitment and really started to think “this cat could be a heck of a weapon in an SEC backfield” when he arrived on campus at a very lean 220-225 pounds. Jimbo Fisher and Jay Graham always thought of Jackson as a ball-carrier, and he’s proven his coaches right thus far, impressing during practice and in limited action as a true freshman. He’ll enter spring ball somewhere in the neighborhood of 230 and is one of the more unique backs I’ve seen come through A&M.

Jackson is a very large running back who could ultimately run the ball at 240-plus pounds, yet he’s every bit as dangerous when he gets into the open field and past the first line of defense as he is effective between the tackles as a power runner. Competition will be fierce in the Aggie backfield this spring, and don’t be surprised if you start hearing about the big sophomore enjoying some big days toting the rock.

5. Tyree Johnson

The third-year sophomore flashed some real twitch and high-end pass-rushing potential down the stretch last fall, standing out in the Ags’ final few games and looking particularly quick off the ball and around the edge against UAB, LSU and N.C. State. 

With Landis Durham and Kingsley Keke gone, the 6-4, 255-pounder enters an important spring, one during which he could go a long way towards landing a starting job if he does, in fact, prove to be the most explosive pass rusher on a defense in desperate need of generating more edge pressure in 2019.

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Courtesy of @Longhornfrenzy

Reveal hidden contents

D1wG0cEWkAIEl_h.jpg:largeD1wG1MWWoAAdVDr.jpg:large

Does anybody have that screenshot of where BP/Looch said Garth was one of the three most important recruiting battles in the state in the state this cycle? I can't remember who the other two were but Garth is definitely more important than Jones

8 hours ago, Sejjr said:

It is hilarious how often aggy writers include "SEC" in their write-ups on players. He's not just an elite DL, he is an elite SEC DL! These morons are still peddling that nonsense to their idiotic subscriber base. 

Well, sec is all aggy got.