Spoiler

Ask Liucci: Defensive depth, recruiting updates and more 

Liucci

8:25p

Staff

AG

Quote:

Chances we grab the newly offered QB??

I think the Ags would stand a very good chance here with Haynes King but by no means will it be a lock for Jimbo and Darrell Dickey. He loves the SEC and I actually think he's good enough to be an 'only QB in the class' type if that's how things work themselves out. LSU having two quarterbacks already committed certainly helps the Ags' cause but he currently holds offers from the likes of Oregon, Ole Miss, TCU, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn and Miami so the field was pretty wide open when the Ags decided to formally enter the fray yesterday. They're playing from behind, with Arkansas and LSU serving as 'local' options for the East Texas gunslinger.

Quote:

Anymore transfers in or out before Fall Camp?

As far as guys leaving, that's always pretty unpredictable but we'll undoubtedly see a couple leave in search of playing time. As far as transfers in, I haven't heard of any specific additions yet, though the Ags do have room for one. They are currently at 85 so someone would have to leave before someone comes in.

Quote:

Does Okeke line up at inside linebacker when healthy? 

He was previously at rover, but we really use more nickel than a rover against most teams. A two-deep of Buddy, Hines, Okeke (he was awesome in last year's spring game), and Hansford would alleviate some of my LB concerns. Agree with it alleviating SOME of the concern, but look at your list. Two guys coming off ACL tears (Okeke and Hines), two who have played VERY little to zero linebacker in games (Hansford and Okeke) and then a few true freshmen. Far from a sure thing. But to answer your question, yes, I do think Okeke will factor into the mix at one of the two true linebacker spots.

Quote:

How are Grayson Reed and Caleb Chapman recovering from their respective injuries?

They don't get talked about a ton (Chapman more than Reed), but I think both can be real players. 
They're both ahead of schedule. Reed's shoulder and Chapman's knee. I think we'll see them both fully ready to go when fall camp rolls around. A healthy Reed could certainly factor into the mix on the inside but he's never really been able to stay healthy since late in his school career so you're really hoping the big man's luck will turn around.

Quote:

With Coach Fisher's recent comments, how many players do you think will be in the 2020 recruiting class when it finally shakes out?

When it finally shakes out? That one's tough to predict because it's a moving target. With a low number of seniors, I think they'll top 20 but not get to 25. Put me on record for 22 at this time and don't argue too much because some of you fought this 26 max battle right up until the bitter end last year.

Quote:

Can you breakdown the number of players you foresee A&M ultimately taking in each position group in 2020?

This one is definitely a moving target but I'll go with this (and it's not set in stone so please don't hit me with 62 'what ifs' in response! 😞

1-2 QB
1-2 RB
0-1 TE
4 OL
3 WR
3-4 DL (I'm counting Mowry and Ellison as separate and still in the '19 class so three new ones)
3 LB
4 DB

Quote:

Are you going to answer these questions? I kid I kid.

NEVERRRRRRRR!!!!

Quote:

My actual question is how is Johnny and what do you think his next career move is? And in all seriousness thanks as always for doing these!

He's good. We actually talked today. Living in LA (for now) and training quite a bit with the same guy who puts OBJ, C Kirk and a lot of NFL skill guys through the paces in Santa Monica and also occasionally in SD with Whitfield. He'll be here next week for a few days and will probably throw with Kellen and some of the guys if they're in town. I personally think he'll end up giving the XFL a look, but Johnny is serious about making it back to the NFL for one more shot, however that materializes. If not, I think you'll start to see him around Aggieland a lot more in some form or fashion. Once he's done pursuing the football dream, he'll get involved in a way with the university, athletics, fund-raising or simply with someone within the Aggie Network. No telling where he'll end up but the football thing isn't quite done just yet.

Quote:

Hey Looch...seems Jimbo is pleased with the progress of the team so far this year as well as recruiting. Name three things for both the team and recruiting which give you hope about the coming season and the recruiting class that Jimbo is putting together. Thanks! Love what you guys do!

As far as the season goes, I think I'd start with a veteran quarterback and some proven playmakers in a system that found ways to move the ball and score points in most games last fall even against the toughest defenses. That group should only be better this season and you lose guys like Jace and Trayveon but Corbin and Cupp are good starting off points in terms of replacing them and they'll have help from some other talented guys at those spots as well. Defensively, the front four could be as good as any this side of Tuscaloosa as far as the SEC is concerned and Mike Elko is as good as they come. Those plus an All-World punter to help fight the field position battle are the biggest reasons 'why.' As far as recruiting, I've scanned the questions and there will be plenty of discussions that essentially answers your question.

Quote:

Why should I feel better about the secondary this year? 

First and foremost, you return all but one guy so, if they choose to, Elko and Mo Linguist can start four veterans with experienced backups at every spot. A possible two-deep of Renfro and Jones at CB with Oliver and Elam backing up and Elam/Chattman at nickel plus O'Neal/Tucker at safety ahead of Pryor/Carper. That's eight guys who have actually played quite a bit of ball and a few of those have played well. Then again, you're also returning that experience plus essentially adding O'Neal, Chattman, JUCO standout Elijah Blades and high school high-four stars Erick Young, Demani Richardson and Brian Williams to the equation. Once those new faces get acclimated, you should have a nice mix of experience and young talent on the field in games. Renfro, in particular, had a really nice spring. If he takes the next step and Jones picks up where he left off late last season plus Blades and Young, cornerback could quietly become a position of strength by mid-season or so.

Quote:

Have y'all thought of renaming the forum to just TexAgs Premium instead of Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium since most of the content is from other members of the staff? 

I saw this one yesterday. For those who want to know what happens to folks who go out of their way to show out by coming at ownership and staff, go check my final post on the original question thread. This toad got his laugh but it cost him a lifetime ban. My answer? I haven't thought of it nor will I. I am pretty sure I post some 'semi-relevant' material like once a year or so and, oh yeah, I also own the business so there's that. As an owner, I can make decisions such as the one to permaban folks like yourself. But your first question was a good one so I went ahead and answered it.

Quote:

Have you heard about any kickers/punters getting a look?

I've heard the Ags have a bead on an Aussie punter but I doubt they'll go with a kicker this year with Caden Davis as a true freshman and Seth Small entering his sophomore season.

Quote:

Is Nino gone?

Not yet but he's on his last strike. Not a fan of those people who act like he does and, more importantly, he seems to rub everyone on the board the wrong way and somehow thinks that's a good thing. Takes a weird level of pride in it. Those folks don't tend to stick around here once they've landed on my radar and, believe me when I say, that's a good thing for the board as a whole.

Quote:

If you could ask Jimbo any 3 questions, completely off record and you knew you would get a straight forward answer, what would they be?

1) Exactly how bad is it out there on the recruiting front in terms of some of the power programs getting uber-aggressive in terms of paying players? 
2) Which of the early NFL departures would you most like to have back in 2019? 
3) And, of course, who would be your prospective AD list, 1-3? 
As a bonus, I'd go with who are your top-five you've ever recruited at each position (but that's like one of those long ones you guys ask that it requires like an hour to put together the list and maybe even a sit-down meal to discuss the results). Oh yeah, and do you want to play Texas or would you rather tell them and their fan base (including the maggots reading this Q&A) to screw off and focus instead on continuing scheduling high-profile home-and-homes like Clemson, Miami and Notre Dame to get more exposure nationally?

Quote:

How long do you think it takes until this fan base understands that Jimbo is a closer?

FSU always knew he had crazy days for signing day but it's taking most people time to realize. 
There's absolutely zero question that few can close like Jimbo does and I think the close to the '18 class and the way they assembled a top-5 class in 2019 should have everyone taking a wait and see/confident approach rather than wringing their hands as the Ags are much slower out of the gate this time around. I'd say hide and watch as the Aggies begin their climb, perhaps as early as this weekend.

Quote:

Who are your top 3 favorite defensive recruits you want A&M to get?

Defensively? Good question...especially considering the fact that there are maybe a half dozen in state that the Ags would take a commit from TODAY and one of those (Watts) recently fell off the board. I'll go with Fadil Diggs , Marco Domio , Alfred Collins , Antonio Doyle Jr. and Kourt Williams II . I also like Vernon Broughton , Isaiah Raikes , Antonio Johnson , Josh Eaton , Noah Sewell and Princely Umanmielen quite a bit. If you were to tell me that most of A&M's defensive class would come from that list, I'd take it today and not look back.

Quote:

Who are your top 3 posters on Premium (excluding staff of course) ?

Contrary to the narrative that the sensitive types who really should consider toughening up have been trying to push the last few days - you know the ones, the guys who say "you've made it clear you don't value the opinion of your paying customers" and "how can you TALK to customers like this??? If you were in my industry you'd never last!!!" - I actually value damn near everyone on this site, paying or not. If there are close to 12k subs and north of 200k users and posters, it stands to reason that the number isn't going to be 100%. What you see from time to time is me going after that 2% that I, in fact, do not appreciate. For no reason other than I don't approve of their regular posting style or because they've crossed a line with me with a specific post. I can assure you it is actually pretty rare when you consider how often I check in on and read the message boards. Some like to focus on the times I DO get frustrated or lose my **** on someone without having any clue how much time I spend reading this stuff.

Quote:

What spots you excited to visit during our road trips to Clemson and Georgia?

You tell me. I didn't go to Clemson the first time around and have never been to Athens. I haven't started my research yet so I'm an open book.

Quote:

At the time, Brewster's move to UNC with Mack was kinda written off as a 'good recruiter, but the machine is larger than individual parts and is in full gear'. I was content with that then and believed it. Fisher was going to keep this rolling. However, 5 months later, I'm just not seeing that in the data being returned. Was Brewster a larger loss than we initially gave credit for and who, today, is the recruiter on staff that manages our top targets like Brewster seemed to?

"Like Brewster seemed to" is the part of your post you need to focus on. That and the five-month part, as in this 2020 process isn't even half complete. I've said it a million times since he left, Brew was and is an elite recruiter and it wasn't as if Fisher ran him off. Tim loved Aggieland and loved working for Jimbo and still raves about the place every time we talk. However, he didn't land every single recruit he targeted contrary to popular belief and I think the Ags' slower start has a hell of a lot more to do with the Ags being much more selective locally in what is clearly a down year in the state in terms of defensive talent than any one coach. Brew might have had the juice and been aggressive enough to push through a couple of more early offers. I do think where he was actually an underrated asset was when he'd come in to assist with the most high-profile recruitments but I don't know how much different things would look right now even with him here.

Quote:

So how long do you think it will be for the Ags to hire an AD? I appreciate Coach Slocum but I wouldn't be a big fan of making him permanent.

There is actually a ton going on behind the scenes as the effort is to make things happen pretty quickly. President Young is spearheading the search and Jimbo is heavily-involved, just like I said he would be more than two weeks ago. If there are two things that are clear, it's that the preference is to wrap this thing up ASAP and that targets are all sitting ADs at Power 5 programs.

Quote:

How many linebackers do you think we sign this recruiting cycle?

Three or four but I'm going to lean on the low side this time around and predict three. All out of state.

Quote:

And of those, how many will come from out of state?

Answered it without even reading your follow up.

Quote:

What are the chances that Haynes King dad can be the new AD?

See above on the AD stuff (I do know you're kidding) but it would nice to see him at Kyle Field on Saturdays from 2020-2023 or so.

Quote:

How much is the staff still tinkering with Mond's delivery? Freshman year, he was a chucker/pushed the ball. Last season was much better, but he would still slip into some bad habits under pressure. Just wondering if this is a big point of emphasis with Jimbo or?

Yes, I do believe it's an ongoing process. They're constantly working to improve any and all things that will make him a more accurate passer and the delivery/release and footwork are essential ingredients. I don't think they'll ever stop working on improving that area, honestly.

Quote:

Name Four! Could you give me a guy A&M will land in each of the following group?

Defensive Skill: I talk a lot about LBs in this thread elsewhere so in the secondary, let's go Antonio Johnson and Marco Domio. The rest is pretty damn wide open, with guys like Vito Tisdale out of Kentucky, Joel Williams and Major Burns in Louisiana still being recruited and with recent offer Kitan Crawford out of Tyler, Josh Eaton and Xavion Alford still in play. The thing that many of you haven't wrapped your heads around is the fact that the Ags have offered several guys and then as the process has gone on, have backed off a bit (which is what you see everyone in college football doing now). I know most of you would have loved a class consisting of maybe Jaylon Jones (a solid commit the Ags are in love with at corner), Jalen KimberMyles Slusher and Alford, but a class like that one hasn't materialized by the Ags' own volition and not nearly as much the other way around. They're still recruiting some of the names on the list but this is a year where the bar appears to have been set higher in Bright than it has by the guys handing out the star rankings.

Defensive Lineman: Fadil Diggs, Isaiah Raikes, Princely Umanmielen and I'm not quite sure who I'd go with after that at this point. Several options out there but I don't feel any in particular are necessarily leaning A&M's way. Remember, you have Mowry and Ellison here too.

Offensive Skill: I'll go either Troy Omeire or Mushin Muhammad III, plus Devin Price at WR and either Sam Adams or Seth McGowan in the backfield. Throw in Chris Morris as a skill guy and call it a day.
Offensive Lineman (including TE to broaden it): Hayes, Akinola (yes, I think they eventually swing him back) and an OOS four-star like Chris Morris or Andrew Raym. If not Aki, then possibly the Anderson kid from Frisco or someone like Dameon George.

Quote:

Is the slow start in the number of commits this year compared to last the result of our coaches wanting more evaluation time or something else?

See above and, yes, I think you'll see more in-state offers go out as the spring goes on and especially when the Aggies get some dudes in for camp. They really do need to get some good evals in this spring and have another strong camp turnout because you can't be like I am with women and be picky to a fault or you'll end up past 40 and still single...but I digress.

Quote:

Are we going to end up signing a great DB haul?

Totally up in the air at this point but I'm confident they will when the dust settles and if they can land Domio (offered today by Bama) and Jones, they're halfway home to a pretty badass haul for the second year in a row.

Quote:

No questions today Billy! Just a sincere thanks for all you and the TexAgs staff do to keep us informed. I really appreicate it.

You're very welcome my friend! Contrary to what naysayers believe, I love doing it. Folks forget this is something that takes about four hours to do it was me who CHOSE to add the feature to the site as a regular thing BECAUSE I knew how much everyone loved it.

Quote:

Jimbo said according to the announcer during the spring game that we will have depth equal to the top teams in the sec after one more recruiting class. Will you please give your thought on this?

Completely agree. You'll be adding a hell of a lot more than you lose after this season in terms of talent and the class recruiting after the 2020 season should be special. They're almost there but this year's class (the 2020 group) is important.

Quote:

Anything you can share about QB recruiting?

Nothing new outside of the offer to Haynes King. The Ags are talking to more than one national guy committed elsewhere and also DJ Uiagaleli but it sure feels like King is about to receive the full court press. They're also working to get back on campus and are still obviously very involved and one of the teams at the very top of the Houston-area dual threat's list. Will be interesting to see where things go with Malik moving forward.

Quote:

Is there a date for the Texags Kickoff event?

Yes, but you'll have to ask Logan.

Quote:

Would you rate this staff as elite in recruiting?

Remains to be seen but I'd rate Jimbo Fisher as elite and I know this staff is excellent in terms of recruiting. Elite? If they go 2018 finish, top-5, top-10 (with possibly a few less ships than some of the teams in front of them) and top-5 in their first three full classes plus one close... I would certainly say they are.

Quote:

Who will be our highest rated commit in this class? Prediction wise

Hell, there's a great chance it will be Demond Demas. I'm not sure I see a five-star out there that I'd pencil into the Ags right now outside of him but don't rule it out.

Quote:

Are you a fellow member of of us addicted to Game of Thrones? If so, which GoT characters would the following TexAgs members be. 

Gabe
Ryan B. 
Olin
Logan Lee 
Yourself (optional)

I am, but I'll have to think about this one for a bit. Let me re-visit after this Sunday.

Quote:

Any updates on what is going on with Vernon Jackson?

Nothing new to report. He's going to get multiple opinions and I'm sure plenty of testing before a determination is made on his football future. I don't expect anything to be rushed or to hear anything soon.

Quote:

Is Jimbo being comfortable with where the team is at post-spring a sign of a 10-2 or better type season?

That's a pretty big ask on this schedule but I do think Jimbo was pleased with where the team was coming out of spring ball because he remembers vividly what it looked like at this time a year ago. I think the fact he's comfortable (enough, anyway) with where things stand shows that he believes the Ags have the potential to be good in 2019. Does that mean 10-2? 9-3? Not sure but it at least probably means Fisher thinks his team has a chance to surprise some folks.

Quote:

How much longer does Saban coach?

I think he's become the Teflon Don of college football and that he has no plans to go anywhere anytime soon.

Quote:

How will the AZ Cardinals do this season with Kliff and Kyler?

Pretty sure it's going to be a rough year with a rookie QB and a first-year NFL head coach. The better question will be what happens down the road with these two high-profile figures with A&M ties. I really don't know but I believe that Kliff is an absolutely brilliant offensive mind and the type of innovator that is en vogue in the league nowadays and it's just tough to bet against Kyler because he's always doubted and all he does is win and make the spectacular look routine. At the end of the day, however, it's a pretty tall mountain to climb out there in the desert. It's quite the undertaking but maybe it's just crazy enough to work.

Quote:

Any idea of the process or the selection of the next 12th man will be?

No idea on the process but I believe it'll come down to Braden White and Keeath Magee.

Quote:

Why do you think the college football playoff semifinal games between #1 versus #4 and #2 versus #3 have been so lopsided? Out of the 10 games so far, 8 of the 10 have been blowouts. 

I think you answered your own question there. That and maybe there should be a second SEC team in there every year. They ought to make it a rule so as to keep the games competitive.

Quote:

Do you think any team could make the playoff on our schedule? Out of the next batch of contenders (obviously excluding the big 4 opponents we play).....Ohio St Is the only one that I could see doing it and I'd say it's around a 25% chance at best, I don't see Oklahoma, Michigan or any of the other teams in that tier being able to do so.

If we're assuming two losses leaves you out, then no one outside of the SEC would have a chance. Not Ohio State, not OU, not Michigan...no one. And that doesn't even factor into account the concept of having to add what would probably ANOTHER (a fourth) top-5 opponent in the SEC title game.

What's your favorite kind of Pizza toppings?
These days I'm liking jalapeno and bacon (sometimes with grilled chicken). I'm also a fan of a plain cheese pizza with extra sauce and used to love a good old meatball pizza but only if it's from an authentic NYC pizza joint. Meatball and ricotta - give it a try and thank me later.

Quote:

Best series on TV currently?

I guess it's still GoT for the next month or so. Tell me your top-3 because I'm interested in picking up a new show. I've binged a LOT of the suggestions you guys have given me during the off-season so far.

Quote:

Who gets more snaps at LB in 2019 between Andre White and Aaron Hansford?

I'm going to predict White on this one but Hansford really is a wildcard at linebacker. Fall camp will tell us the story with him.

Quote:

Which 2 get the most snaps at DB in 2019 between Blades, Renfro, Chattman and Oliver?

I'll go with Renfro and Blades. Did you leave out Myles Jones for a reason? That would have made things much tougher.

Quote:

Our way too early ranking of 8 seems a bit high. What are your thoughts? Realistic or too optimistic? 

Agree. It feels very high to me. I think this looks like a top-15 team right now. Don't get me wrong, I think they're going to be very good and when doing the ranking you don't factor in the whole, 'well, they'll have a hard time finishing there based on the schedule' thing. From that standpoint, maybe 8 isn't too high. I would probably go somewhere around 12.

Quote:

RB predictions for the 2020 class?

See above. Like the Ags' chances with McGowan best, think they'll be squarely in the mix for Adams and they'll hang in it and trade punches in the Zach Evans recruitment from wire to wire.

Quote:

Aggie football final ranking after 2019-2020 season?

After the season? I think the Ags come out of bowl season with a top-12 ranking and a pre-season top-5 billing entering 2020.

Quote:

Have you tried mixing Skittles Sweet Heat with the Skittles Sour?

Hate the sour ones and have never tried Sweet Heat. Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Quote:

What needs to happen this year to keep 2020 as the year we start competing for championships?

Mond and the WRs need to take the next step, the young DBs must step up and become quality SEC players (meaning O'Neal, Blades and a couple of the newcomers) and A&M needs to go from winning one high-profile game last year to claiming two such victories in 2019.

Quote:

Have you had a chance to check out the show "Killing Eve"? Would recommend it.

I have not but I'm looking for a new one so thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:

If you're looking for a good read, check out "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green (hope they make a movie).

Okay, will do! I still have the book Buzz recommended to me to read, as well. Need to do that on my next flight, so long as I haven't scheduled a question thread that same day.

Quote:

What did you do for 4-20 ?

Not a smoker (don't do anything besides drink, TBH) but I'm pretty sure I was with a group of friends for dinner who had celebrated accordingly that day. Let's just say it's was a long, slow dinner with a lot of laughs and they may have over-ordered.

Quote:

Seeing how Demas has become a "vocal" leader for the recruiting class and ultimately the face of the 2020 class, how much is his voice and behind the scenes knowledge really used by the coaching staff? Not only to further pound home recruiting messages but to really see how they stand with other recruits that are on the big board?

He's going to ultimately have a pretty significant impact and I think you'll start to see it a lot more this summer during the camp and 7-on-7 season. Of all of the Aggies' 'five-star' commits and signees over the past few years, I'm not sure I've seen a more vocal prospect and one capable of rallying support. Jalen Jones is also extremely active and vocal for a very highly-regarded commit, as well.

Quote:

Top 3 AD's we go after?

I'll withhold this answer, as the Aggies have successfully moved very quietly through the process. If you want an idea, just look at, let's say ten departments you believe are among the most successful - the obvious programs - and then take out the guys you feel there's no way A&M or anyone else can pull from their current school (someone like Castiglione at OU who has been there for an eternity) and you'd have a pretty good working list. So far, I've heard all of one name as even a possible candidate that would come from outside of that group and one other 'Group of Five' guy who is getting some buzz. That's it.

Quote:

Care to elaborate on "Unless the Ags hire and AD tonight or tomorrow,"?

Well we are past that date and it didn't happen so I guess elaborating isn't necessary! Seriously though, I've hit the AD stuff a little at the top of this week's Q&A so search around and you'll find it.

Quote:

What makes Schmitty such a special strength coach? I would assume that his workouts would be easy to copy, so he just a master motivator that can get these guys to push themselves farther than anyone else, or is there something else?

He's an incredible motivator and he's one of the all-time best in terms of helping a head coach develop the right culture and mentality in his program. Accountability, discipline, reaching down deep in the 'fourth quarter,' teamwork and just getting the guys to the point that they actually ENJOY this stuff. He sets the foundation and is in lockstep with his head coach at all times, which isn't always the case when it comes to S&C coaches. On top of all of that, his players respect the hell out of him. Again, that's not always been the case around here and if things fall off in the weight room, it tends to be the start of a program/head coach's decay, IMO.

Quote:

Who will be our #2 QB to start the season?

Not sure but check a couple of questions down the thread. Foster came on late in spring ball, too, and has made some pretty eye-opening strides since the end of last season.

Quote:

Rate the following great TV: Game of Thrones, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, or your personal favorite:

I'll go Sopranos, GoT, Breaking Bad, in that order. Sitcoms, it's Seinfeld and The Office 1-2 for me.

Quote:

And thank you for all the things you do for us.

You're very welcome...anytime!

Quote:

Thinking Calzada could win the back-up role, play in a couple of games and still redshirt if Mond stays healthy. Thoughts? 

I don't disagree with that. I think that's quite likely actually. Not a guarantee but my guess is it's the most likely outcome.

Quote:

Evans or McGowan? Who is more likely if one falls our way. Seems McGowan is our best shot.

I'd say McGowan is more likely, but don't misconstrue that as me saying A&M is out of it with Zach. He and Jimbo actually have a great relationship and still talk regularly.

Quote:

What's the plan for Brian Johnson? LB or DB?

He went through the spring as a pure safety. Had a couple of very nice plays, including a sensational sideline interception at one point.

Quote:

What's your guess for how QB recruiting shakes out this class?

Totally up in the air. Love the Haynes King offer and hope the Ags can quickly put themselves into real contention after arriving slightly late to the party.

Quote:

Johnny, sorry John update? Does he make a camp?

See above. He's going to have to really dive in and go all out while staying completely off the radar in order to find himself in a camp.

Quote:

Can't resist..
Gabe-Lady Mormont
RyanB. - Khal Drago
Olin - Varys
Logan - Lord Baelish
Billy - Tyrian Lannister (before he turned serious)

Two things: I was actually going to tag Logan with Littlefinger from the start and Brauny is the furthest thing from a Dothraki warrior there is. The dude once pulled himself off of the road due to a suspected insect bite. Gabe as Lady Mormont made my entire morning.

Quote:

Now that some time has passed, will you share some stories of things you heard of Hugh Freeze doing recruiting-wise that you would not have shared when he was still coaching?

I'm honestly only privy to a couple of specifics but it's just that for years prior to his takedown, coaches around the league were getting pretty vocal (and so were Texas high school coaches) that his brand of cheating was over the top and to the point that it was getting completely out of hand. He dove in with both feet too soon and it was just too obvious. And when you're outbidding some of the programs Ole Miss was outbidding, you're going to shake up the establishment to the point that the heat is all but certain to come down on you. Make of this what you will, but I heard some of what the Rebels were pulling in Dallas was about as brazen as it gets. There are two or three programs I know of right now that are going down that same road, two with relatively inexperienced head coaches.

Quote:

Appreciate the Q and A! Offseason question for you...how would the wrecking crew defense of the early 90's perform in today's SEC? And how would today's Clemson perform in the early 90's SWC?

I think both would succeed at a high level. Look, the 90's Wrecking Crew may or may have had to change their style a bit in terms of maybe dialing back the aggression at times but the bottom line is that they were as fast, athletic, physical and talented as any defense in college football. Put those same 11 on the field today and they'd be every bit as talented as the Bamas and Clemson's of the world on D.

Quote:

What was your single biggest surprise regarding Aggie Draft results?

Trayveon. Not so much that he went in the sixth round but much more so because around 15 running backs were taken before him. He'll prove a lot of teams wrong. They were too focused on lack of size and testing results and not enough on his production against SEC competition and the really important things like heart, competitive nature, leadership, toughness, commitment and blocking.

Quote:

How many more years will it take for state of Texas recruits to see the continuing dominance by SEC putting players in the NFL....Hard to understand how we lose any elite Defensive recruits to tu in the modern era.

It does sometimes make you scratch your head but over time the power teams in scab leagues figure out their counter-point to that. OU has always done a nice job of almost scaring front seven prospects into believing they're not big enough to hold up to the 'pounding' and physicality of the SEC. It's like they're selling "come here and rush the passer more and prevent the wear and tear." It's ridiculous - especially when you realize that wear and tear does nothing to scare the NFL teams off on draft day and it's actually the lack of competition and defense in the Big 12 that really scares them off - but it works on guys from time to time. In general, though, there's a reason A&M has recruited like they have since joining the SEC and especially since Fisher has arrived. A big part of it has to do with the fact that great players want to face great competition.

Quote:

If we take 23 this year, how many are OOS?

I could see the Ags taking as many as 8 or 9 or even 10 OOS signees this year.

Quote:

If McGowan wants to commit in June, do we take him even if it takes us out if the running for Evans?

Without a doubt. And I'm not even sure that would take them out of the running for Evans. He's not the type who is worried at all about being the only back in a class. Regardless, McGowan is a screaming take and would have been the state's top-rated back in like nine of the last ten years. He's a stud.

Quote:

Thank you for going after the fools that hide behind the keyboard and constantly talk crap.

'Tis my honor, good sir. I think those who get offended by it and play the 'customer service' card don't have a full understand of what it's like to try and manage a board that the 99% of folks can tolerate and enjoy. It's about the culture and soul of this place that we all love so much and preserving that.

Quote:

My wife and daughter purchased this for me last Christmas knowing I wouldn't spend money on myself, I tend to lurk more just because some of these jacka$$es are just sad and I don't want to get caught up in it.

Tell your wife and daughter thank you for me! That's a great Christmas present, isn't it? The gift that keeps on giving.

Quote:

Also you and Brauninger kill it every week, yall are my favorite part of Texags. Keep up the good work!

Brauny gets a lot of grief from us because he practically begs for it but he's done an amazing job and is only getting better.

Quote:

By your estimation does Jimbo land Hayes and Achane this cycle?

Yes but neither is a slam dunk.

Quote:

How many ban hammers does Thor smack down in Endgame?

Not as many as were handed out the first time I tried to put this Q&A out.

Quote:

If you had to project, as a baseball fan (not analyst), what was your expectation for this group on the diamond at the the beginning of the season, to what level do you project now?

I thought the Ags were a regional team and close to the 2/3 line. Now I think they're going to end up a solid 2 but not hosting after the way they started would be a disappointment, IMO. I'd like to see them rally beginning this weekend. It's still there in front of them and with the two starting pitchers they've got at the top, they'd be pretty dangerous in a super.

Quote:

Dang it i forgot my questions I asked in the other thread

Haha, I'll get back to a few of those that the one poster consolidated at some point.

Quote:

Who do you think will be leaving early for NFL after this season?

Right now, I'd go with Madubuike only. I expect he'll leave a year on the table. Beyond that, maybe one of the receivers could see their stock explode with a monster year or maybe (I hope not) make a bit of a hasty decision and leave as a projected 2/3 round guy. We'll see, but it could just be one and maybe two, which would really set things up for a 2020 run.

Quote:

Do you expect any transfers by August?

Yes but just because it almost always happens. Nothing significant but I'd be surprised if we didn't see some slight attrition between now and when summer school begins.

Quote:

Thank you for the Spring cleaning!

You're welcome. Long overdue.

Quote:

You going to Hootie in June?

Planning on it, yes. I've never seen him.

Quote:

I love the demeanor/attitude that's been reported about McGowan....am I crazy to think I'd prefer to sign him over Evans? It seems like the hit rate with kids with the talent/attitude combo of kids like McGowan is insanely high compared to most.

Evans is special but like I said McGowan would be the state's No. 1 back in like eight or nine of the last ten years. This offense produces outstanding runners and Seth has more than enough talent for Jay Graham to turn into a big-time SEC back. With that said, you continue to go all out for Evans for multiple reasons. First, he's a rare talent who is still seriously considering A&M. Second, it's not like McGowan is an A&M commit or anything like that so the Ags currently have neither. In all honesty, if A&M landed one of the three out of Evans, McGowan or Sam Adams, I'd consider it a huge coup for Jimbo, Graham and the Aggie staff.

Quote:

Can we just forever pin the "How is Johnny doing?" question on these? Someone asks every single time these threads are made. I'm not bashing as I am curious as well.

Make it a regular part of the feature, I get it.

Quote:

Early top 25 has A&M #8. Do you think that is an accurate ranking? You are about as close to the team than anyone other than the coaches.

See above. I think that might be a little high but when you look around at the teams ranked near them - squads like Auburn, Texas, etc - it doesn't seem like nearly as much of a stretch.

Quote:

Will the 2019 squad have the kind of speed at receiver and in the secondary to compete with other top ten programs on our schedule? I feel like we are still lacking in the speed department, but I was interested in hearing your thoughts.

I don't think they'll have that kind of speed you're referring to (that Bama/Clemson speed) at receiver but they will have some proven playmakers and are adding more weapons. In the secondary, a lot of that will depend on the new faces. Lack of speed at safety definitely concerns me against certain opponents, particularly the guys Tua, Trevor and Jake Fromm will be throwing to.

Quote:

Why do you think we were somewhat "slow" to offer Haynes King? Everyone on this board seems to regard him as one of the top two or three in the state.

Well, the goal isn't to land a 'top two or three in the state' type every year. It's to sign an elite quarterback capable of winning games in the SEC and helping the Ags compete for SEC titles and playoff berths. Not sure why it took as long as it did but it's not like they waited to have him in camp to offer and it's still not as if the entire country has come calling. They're late but they didn't miss the party. I suspect A&M will be a key player in this race.

Quote:

Now that RC is the interim AD, do we go full old school unis for the year?

I don't think R.C. is going to mess with the uniforms during his interim stint very much.

Quote:

When are we going to get a good flow of recruits?

I think it will start in the very near future and there will be a steady flow through the month of May and then several will fall in June. Ags are in a good position with a few guys right now that we've alluded to.

Quote:

What is our worst position group, and where do they rank in the SEC? I feel like even our bad units are pretty good units.

I'd agree with that for the most part. I think the secondary has a LOT to prove but there were definite signs of improvement during the final five games of the season (even Auburn until the disastrous final seven minutes or so) and Mike Elko is adding a lot to the back end of his defense in the form of newcomers. Honestly, it would be pretty tough to place the A&M linebacker unit anywhere outside of near the bottom of the league at this point in time. I haven't studied the conference but I don't imagine there's any way a team could have LESS experience at the position and only two of the guys competing for playing time have played enough to flash high-end potential. One of those is coming off of a 2018 season-ending ACL tear so there are far more questions than answers at the position as the Ags begin the run-up to fall camp. If that position can turn out to be a solid unit, the Aggie defense has a chance to be pretty salty but it's a big if until we see it materialize.

Quote:

Out of the 4 marquee games we have on the 2019 football, which one would you most prefer us to win?

Most prefer? I think I'd rank them like this: 1 Alabama (for recruiting purposes and claiming that one at Kyle Field in front of every recruit in the state and from coast to coast more than anything else) 2 Clemson (defending national champs, on the road, set the tone for the season) 3 LSU (do I really even need to explain why?) 4 Georgia (you'd probably be knocking off a top-5 playoff contender on the road in November)

Quote:

Do you think there will be any surprise transfers from guys who just never got traction here? Not asking for name...just if you see the potential for any surprise transfers. 

Probably, but nothing in the way of a mass summer exodus. Just a guy here or there.

Quote:

What single position do you think is our most needed to hit a recruiting home run?

A home run? I think it's very important to stack class on the OL this year and I think they need to upgrade over last year's haul. It wasn't as good as some of the other positions they brought in. That and the secondary. Talent level overall isn't what it should be in the SEC West dating back to the Chavis days and last year's class was a good start. I'd love to see them go Jaylen Jones, Marco Domio, Antonio Johnson and one more OOS guy plus maybe sneak back in on a currently committed in-state prospect. My prediction is two Texans, two OOS and a JUCO and we'll be very happy with the back-to-back hauls.

Quote:

Any update on Vernon Jackson?

Nothing yet. See above.

Quote:

Top 3 AD's we go after?

I'll give you this easter egg...from the start of me answering this yesterday to the end, I've heard enough to believe there are actually three targets and think they'll close soon enough.

Quote:

Where do you see the next round of CBS negotiations heading? Do you think the SEC does their own thing or does CBS pony up the $$? As always, TexAgs is killing it with the content. Congratulations on the success you all are having and to many more exciting moments ahead w/ TexAgs, thanks Looch!

I've heard CBS is about to really pony up some ca$$$$$h, for what it's worth. Thanks for the kind words, as well.

Quote:

Since Mond is solid at QB and has improved so much, do you think we will see a lot more sophisticated routes being run by the receivers this year, like outside timing patterns and crossing patterns like Alabama was using last year?

I don't think that's an unrealistic possibility. I do know that Kellen and the wideouts are now very comfortable with the offense and passing game in general and also when it comes to reading coverage, which is every bit as important.

Quote:

Is it just me or is our coaching staff doing a lot more out of state recruiting this year?

It's not just you. They're definitely canvassing the entire country, literally from coast to coast. They did so last year and at the end of the '18 cycle as well but this is definitely more so than it's been.

Quote:

Don't you think there is something seriously wrong with a country whose favorite movies are basically cartoons? The last 20 top grossing pictures have probably been marvel cartoons or superhero movies. Is that not mentally dysfunctional?

Yeah, it's pretty sad. I mean, I go and see them but I'm not hanging on the releases and have been incredibly disappointed in what's happening with cinema the last few years. Feels like we go months and months at a time without anything to look forward to in terms of new releases or upcoming blockbusters.

Quote:

Although the number of spots is lower compared to last year, do you believe when it's all said and done that the 2020 class will be more talented top to bottom than 2019? Seems like the Ags are much more selective this year.

Remains to be seen. There was an awful lot of talent in last year's class.

Quote:

Will the AD hire be a WOW hire like Jimbo and if so who are the movers making the decision? Is it a single person or a group of people? Ps my monthly subscription is the best purchase I make each month. Thanks for providing the content for us all.

Thanks for the love on the sub...it is a lot of bang for your buck, right? Maybe I'll just break off on my own and do the question thread every week for $9.99 a month and keep all the profit?  Seriously though, the group making this particular hire is very small. My question is this: How many ADs would qualify as a 'wow' hire? Did you guys consider Scott one when the Ags pulled him from UW? No one would admit it today but I'd be willing to bet that there are some of you who were more excited about the Hyman hire "because SEC" when it happened, am I right? I think it will end up being a very strong hire.

Quote:

Everybody wants to know the next commit. I want to know who you think is going through the full calendar for their process? Translation: what big time, scheduled to be late commits do you think round out our class? The icing on the cake, if you will. 

Too early to tell on those guys because they're waiting so long that they aren't really leaning any which way. A lot of the very best prospects the Ags are targeting plan to wait things out and there aren't really any in-state who qualify as 'can't-miss' five-star talents IMO this year outside of Demas and Evans. It's a decent year in the state but nothing to write home about compared to '19 and '21, TBH.

Quote:

Chicago dog or chili cheese dog? Diet be damned. 

Like most of you, I grew up on chili cheese dogs at the ballpark but I might actually go Chicago dog here. Minus the tomatoes and with a lot of ketchup.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Why do you think the college football playoff semifinal games between #1 versus #4 and #2 versus #3 have been so lopsided? Out of the 10 games so far, 8 of the 10 have been blowouts. 

I think you answered your own question there. That and maybe there should be a second SEC team in there every year. They ought to make it a rule so as to keep the games competitive.

Wow. This is obviously insane considering the source, but then you realize ESPN promotes this same line of thinking, and realize how biased the CFB world is these days. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ask Liucci: Defensive depth, recruiting updates and more 

Liucci

8:25p

Staff

AG

Quote:

Chances we grab the newly offered QB??

I think the Ags would stand a very good chance here with Haynes King but by no means will it be a lock for Jimbo and Darrell Dickey. He loves the SEC and I actually think he's good enough to be an 'only QB in the class' type if that's how things work themselves out. LSU having two quarterbacks already committed certainly helps the Ags' cause but he currently holds offers from the likes of Oregon, Ole Miss, TCU, Arkansas, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn and Miami so the field was pretty wide open when the Ags decided to formally enter the fray yesterday. They're playing from behind, with Arkansas and LSU serving as 'local' options for the East Texas gunslinger.

Quote:

Anymore transfers in or out before Fall Camp?

As far as guys leaving, that's always pretty unpredictable but we'll undoubtedly see a couple leave in search of playing time. As far as transfers in, I haven't heard of any specific additions yet, though the Ags do have room for one. They are currently at 85 so someone would have to leave before someone comes in.

Quote:

Does Okeke line up at inside linebacker when healthy? 

He was previously at rover, but we really use more nickel than a rover against most teams. A two-deep of Buddy, Hines, Okeke (he was awesome in last year's spring game), and Hansford would alleviate some of my LB concerns. Agree with it alleviating SOME of the concern, but look at your list. Two guys coming off ACL tears (Okeke and Hines), two who have played VERY little to zero linebacker in games (Hansford and Okeke) and then a few true freshmen. Far from a sure thing. But to answer your question, yes, I do think Okeke will factor into the mix at one of the two true linebacker spots.

Quote:

How are Grayson Reed and Caleb Chapman recovering from their respective injuries?

They don't get talked about a ton (Chapman more than Reed), but I think both can be real players. 
They're both ahead of schedule. Reed's shoulder and Chapman's knee. I think we'll see them both fully ready to go when fall camp rolls around. A healthy Reed could certainly factor into the mix on the inside but he's never really been able to stay healthy since late in his school career so you're really hoping the big man's luck will turn around.

Quote:

With Coach Fisher's recent comments, how many players do you think will be in the 2020 recruiting class when it finally shakes out?

When it finally shakes out? That one's tough to predict because it's a moving target. With a low number of seniors, I think they'll top 20 but not get to 25. Put me on record for 22 at this time and don't argue too much because some of you fought this 26 max battle right up until the bitter end last year.

Quote:

Can you breakdown the number of players you foresee A&M ultimately taking in each position group in 2020?

This one is definitely a moving target but I'll go with this (and it's not set in stone so please don't hit me with 62 'what ifs' in response! 😞

1-2 QB
1-2 RB
0-1 TE
4 OL
3 WR
3-4 DL (I'm counting Mowry and Ellison as separate and still in the '19 class so three new ones)
3 LB
4 DB

Quote:

Are you going to answer these questions? I kid I kid.

NEVERRRRRRRR!!!!

Quote:

My actual question is how is Johnny and what do you think his next career move is? And in all seriousness thanks as always for doing these!

He's good. We actually talked today. Living in LA (for now) and training quite a bit with the same guy who puts OBJ, C Kirk and a lot of NFL skill guys through the paces in Santa Monica and also occasionally in SD with Whitfield. He'll be here next week for a few days and will probably throw with Kellen and some of the guys if they're in town. I personally think he'll end up giving the XFL a look, but Johnny is serious about making it back to the NFL for one more shot, however that materializes. If not, I think you'll start to see him around Aggieland a lot more in some form or fashion. Once he's done pursuing the football dream, he'll get involved in a way with the university, athletics, fund-raising or simply with someone within the Aggie Network. No telling where he'll end up but the football thing isn't quite done just yet.

Quote:

Hey Looch...seems Jimbo is pleased with the progress of the team so far this year as well as recruiting. Name three things for both the team and recruiting which give you hope about the coming season and the recruiting class that Jimbo is putting together. Thanks! Love what you guys do!

As far as the season goes, I think I'd start with a veteran quarterback and some proven playmakers in a system that found ways to move the ball and score points in most games last fall even against the toughest defenses. That group should only be better this season and you lose guys like Jace and Trayveon but Corbin and Cupp are good starting off points in terms of replacing them and they'll have help from some other talented guys at those spots as well. Defensively, the front four could be as good as any this side of Tuscaloosa as far as the SEC is concerned and Mike Elko is as good as they come. Those plus an All-World punter to help fight the field position battle are the biggest reasons 'why.' As far as recruiting, I've scanned the questions and there will be plenty of discussions that essentially answers your question.

Quote:

Why should I feel better about the secondary this year? 

First and foremost, you return all but one guy so, if they choose to, Elko and Mo Linguist can start four veterans with experienced backups at every spot. A possible two-deep of Renfro and Jones at CB with Oliver and Elam backing up and Elam/Chattman at nickel plus O'Neal/Tucker at safety ahead of Pryor/Carper. That's eight guys who have actually played quite a bit of ball and a few of those have played well. Then again, you're also returning that experience plus essentially adding O'Neal, Chattman, JUCO standout Elijah Blades and high school high-four stars Erick Young, Demani Richardson and Brian Williams to the equation. Once those new faces get acclimated, you should have a nice mix of experience and young talent on the field in games. Renfro, in particular, had a really nice spring. If he takes the next step and Jones picks up where he left off late last season plus Blades and Young, cornerback could quietly become a position of strength by mid-season or so.

Quote:

Have y'all thought of renaming the forum to just TexAgs Premium instead of Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium since most of the content is from other members of the staff? 

I saw this one yesterday. For those who want to know what happens to folks who go out of their way to show out by coming at ownership and staff, go check my final post on the original question thread. This toad got his laugh but it cost him a lifetime ban. My answer? I haven't thought of it nor will I. I am pretty sure I post some 'semi-relevant' material like once a year or so and, oh yeah, I also own the business so there's that. As an owner, I can make decisions such as the one to permaban folks like yourself. But your first question was a good one so I went ahead and answered it.

Quote:

Have you heard about any kickers/punters getting a look?

I've heard the Ags have a bead on an Aussie punter but I doubt they'll go with a kicker this year with Caden Davis as a true freshman and Seth Small entering his sophomore season.

Quote:

Is Nino gone?

Not yet but he's on his last strike. Not a fan of those people who act like he does and, more importantly, he seems to rub everyone on the board the wrong way and somehow thinks that's a good thing. Takes a weird level of pride in it. Those folks don't tend to stick around here once they've landed on my radar and, believe me when I say, that's a good thing for the board as a whole.

Quote:

If you could ask Jimbo any 3 questions, completely off record and you knew you would get a straight forward answer, what would they be?

1) Exactly how bad is it out there on the recruiting front in terms of some of the power programs getting uber-aggressive in terms of paying players? 
2) Which of the early NFL departures would you most like to have back in 2019? 
3) And, of course, who would be your prospective AD list, 1-3? 
As a bonus, I'd go with who are your top-five you've ever recruited at each position (but that's like one of those long ones you guys ask that it requires like an hour to put together the list and maybe even a sit-down meal to discuss the results). Oh yeah, and do you want to play Texas or would you rather tell them and their fan base (including the maggots reading this Q&A) to screw off and focus instead on continuing scheduling high-profile home-and-homes like Clemson, Miami and Notre Dame to get more exposure nationally?

Quote:

How long do you think it takes until this fan base understands that Jimbo is a closer?

FSU always knew he had crazy days for signing day but it's taking most people time to realize. 
There's absolutely zero question that few can close like Jimbo does and I think the close to the '18 class and the way they assembled a top-5 class in 2019 should have everyone taking a wait and see/confident approach rather than wringing their hands as the Ags are much slower out of the gate this time around. I'd say hide and watch as the Aggies begin their climb, perhaps as early as this weekend.

Quote:

Who are your top 3 favorite defensive recruits you want A&M to get?

Defensively? Good question...especially considering the fact that there are maybe a half dozen in state that the Ags would take a commit from TODAY and one of those (Watts) recently fell off the board. I'll go with Fadil Diggs , Marco Domio , Alfred Collins , Antonio Doyle Jr. and Kourt Williams II . I also like Vernon Broughton , Isaiah Raikes , Antonio Johnson , Josh Eaton , Noah Sewell and Princely Umanmielen quite a bit. If you were to tell me that most of A&M's defensive class would come from that list, I'd take it today and not look back.

Quote:

Who are your top 3 posters on Premium (excluding staff of course) ?

Contrary to the narrative that the sensitive types who really should consider toughening up have been trying to push the last few days - you know the ones, the guys who say "you've made it clear you don't value the opinion of your paying customers" and "how can you TALK to customers like this??? If you were in my industry you'd never last!!!" - I actually value damn near everyone on this site, paying or not. If there are close to 12k subs and north of 200k users and posters, it stands to reason that the number isn't going to be 100%. What you see from time to time is me going after that 2% that I, in fact, do not appreciate. For no reason other than I don't approve of their regular posting style or because they've crossed a line with me with a specific post. I can assure you it is actually pretty rare when you consider how often I check in on and read the message boards. Some like to focus on the times I DO get frustrated or lose my **** on someone without having any clue how much time I spend reading this stuff.

Quote:

What spots you excited to visit during our road trips to Clemson and Georgia?

You tell me. I didn't go to Clemson the first time around and have never been to Athens. I haven't started my research yet so I'm an open book.

Quote:

At the time, Brewster's move to UNC with Mack was kinda written off as a 'good recruiter, but the machine is larger than individual parts and is in full gear'. I was content with that then and believed it. Fisher was going to keep this rolling. However, 5 months later, I'm just not seeing that in the data being returned. Was Brewster a larger loss than we initially gave credit for and who, today, is the recruiter on staff that manages our top targets like Brewster seemed to?

"Like Brewster seemed to" is the part of your post you need to focus on. That and the five-month part, as in this 2020 process isn't even half complete. I've said it a million times since he left, Brew was and is an elite recruiter and it wasn't as if Fisher ran him off. Tim loved Aggieland and loved working for Jimbo and still raves about the place every time we talk. However, he didn't land every single recruit he targeted contrary to popular belief and I think the Ags' slower start has a hell of a lot more to do with the Ags being much more selective locally in what is clearly a down year in the state in terms of defensive talent than any one coach. Brew might have had the juice and been aggressive enough to push through a couple of more early offers. I do think where he was actually an underrated asset was when he'd come in to assist with the most high-profile recruitments but I don't know how much different things would look right now even with him here.

Quote:

So how long do you think it will be for the Ags to hire an AD? I appreciate Coach Slocum but I wouldn't be a big fan of making him permanent.

There is actually a ton going on behind the scenes as the effort is to make things happen pretty quickly. President Young is spearheading the search and Jimbo is heavily-involved, just like I said he would be more than two weeks ago. If there are two things that are clear, it's that the preference is to wrap this thing up ASAP and that targets are all sitting ADs at Power 5 programs.

Quote:

How many linebackers do you think we sign this recruiting cycle?

Three or four but I'm going to lean on the low side this time around and predict three. All out of state.

Quote:

And of those, how many will come from out of state?

Answered it without even reading your follow up.

Quote:

What are the chances that Haynes King dad can be the new AD?

See above on the AD stuff (I do know you're kidding) but it would nice to see him at Kyle Field on Saturdays from 2020-2023 or so.

Quote:

How much is the staff still tinkering with Mond's delivery? Freshman year, he was a chucker/pushed the ball. Last season was much better, but he would still slip into some bad habits under pressure. Just wondering if this is a big point of emphasis with Jimbo or?

Yes, I do believe it's an ongoing process. They're constantly working to improve any and all things that will make him a more accurate passer and the delivery/release and footwork are essential ingredients. I don't think they'll ever stop working on improving that area, honestly.

Quote:

Name Four! Could you give me a guy A&M will land in each of the following group?

Defensive Skill: I talk a lot about LBs in this thread elsewhere so in the secondary, let's go Antonio Johnson and Marco Domio. The rest is pretty damn wide open, with guys like Vito Tisdale out of Kentucky, Joel Williams and Major Burns in Louisiana still being recruited and with recent offer Kitan Crawford out of Tyler, Josh Eaton and Xavion Alford still in play. The thing that many of you haven't wrapped your heads around is the fact that the Ags have offered several guys and then as the process has gone on, have backed off a bit (which is what you see everyone in college football doing now). I know most of you would have loved a class consisting of maybe Jaylon Jones (a solid commit the Ags are in love with at corner), Jalen KimberMyles Slusher and Alford, but a class like that one hasn't materialized by the Ags' own volition and not nearly as much the other way around. They're still recruiting some of the names on the list but this is a year where the bar appears to have been set higher in Bright than it has by the guys handing out the star rankings.

Defensive Lineman: Fadil Diggs, Isaiah Raikes, Princely Umanmielen and I'm not quite sure who I'd go with after that at this point. Several options out there but I don't feel any in particular are necessarily leaning A&M's way. Remember, you have Mowry and Ellison here too.

Offensive Skill: I'll go either Troy Omeire or Mushin Muhammad III, plus Devin Price at WR and either Sam Adams or Seth McGowan in the backfield. Throw in Chris Morris as a skill guy and call it a day.
Offensive Lineman (including TE to broaden it): Hayes, Akinola (yes, I think they eventually swing him back) and an OOS four-star like Chris Morris or Andrew Raym. If not Aki, then possibly the Anderson kid from Frisco or someone like Dameon George.

Quote:

Is the slow start in the number of commits this year compared to last the result of our coaches wanting more evaluation time or something else?

See above and, yes, I think you'll see more in-state offers go out as the spring goes on and especially when the Aggies get some dudes in for camp. They really do need to get some good evals in this spring and have another strong camp turnout because you can't be like I am with women and be picky to a fault or you'll end up past 40 and still single...but I digress.

Quote:

Are we going to end up signing a great DB haul?

Totally up in the air at this point but I'm confident they will when the dust settles and if they can land Domio (offered today by Bama) and Jones, they're halfway home to a pretty badass haul for the second year in a row.

Quote:

No questions today Billy! Just a sincere thanks for all you and the TexAgs staff do to keep us informed. I really appreicate it.

You're very welcome my friend! Contrary to what naysayers believe, I love doing it. Folks forget this is something that takes about four hours to do it was me who CHOSE to add the feature to the site as a regular thing BECAUSE I knew how much everyone loved it.

Quote:

Jimbo said according to the announcer during the spring game that we will have depth equal to the top teams in the sec after one more recruiting class. Will you please give your thought on this?

Completely agree. You'll be adding a hell of a lot more than you lose after this season in terms of talent and the class recruiting after the 2020 season should be special. They're almost there but this year's class (the 2020 group) is important.

Quote:

Anything you can share about QB recruiting?

Nothing new outside of the offer to Haynes King. The Ags are talking to more than one national guy committed elsewhere and also DJ Uiagaleli but it sure feels like King is about to receive the full court press. They're also working to get back on campus and are still obviously very involved and one of the teams at the very top of the Houston-area dual threat's list. Will be interesting to see where things go with Malik moving forward.

Quote:

Is there a date for the Texags Kickoff event?

Yes, but you'll have to ask Logan.

Quote:

Would you rate this staff as elite in recruiting?

Remains to be seen but I'd rate Jimbo Fisher as elite and I know this staff is excellent in terms of recruiting. Elite? If they go 2018 finish, top-5, top-10 (with possibly a few less ships than some of the teams in front of them) and top-5 in their first three full classes plus one close... I would certainly say they are.

Quote:

Who will be our highest rated commit in this class? Prediction wise

Hell, there's a great chance it will be Demond Demas. I'm not sure I see a five-star out there that I'd pencil into the Ags right now outside of him but don't rule it out.

Quote:

Are you a fellow member of of us addicted to Game of Thrones? If so, which GoT characters would the following TexAgs members be. 

Gabe
Ryan B. 
Olin
Logan Lee 
Yourself (optional)

I am, but I'll have to think about this one for a bit. Let me re-visit after this Sunday.

Quote:

Any updates on what is going on with Vernon Jackson?

Nothing new to report. He's going to get multiple opinions and I'm sure plenty of testing before a determination is made on his football future. I don't expect anything to be rushed or to hear anything soon.

Quote:

Is Jimbo being comfortable with where the team is at post-spring a sign of a 10-2 or better type season?

That's a pretty big ask on this schedule but I do think Jimbo was pleased with where the team was coming out of spring ball because he remembers vividly what it looked like at this time a year ago. I think the fact he's comfortable (enough, anyway) with where things stand shows that he believes the Ags have the potential to be good in 2019. Does that mean 10-2? 9-3? Not sure but it at least probably means Fisher thinks his team has a chance to surprise some folks.

Quote:

How much longer does Saban coach?

I think he's become the Teflon Don of college football and that he has no plans to go anywhere anytime soon.

Quote:

How will the AZ Cardinals do this season with Kliff and Kyler?

Pretty sure it's going to be a rough year with a rookie QB and a first-year NFL head coach. The better question will be what happens down the road with these two high-profile figures with A&M ties. I really don't know but I believe that Kliff is an absolutely brilliant offensive mind and the type of innovator that is en vogue in the league nowadays and it's just tough to bet against Kyler because he's always doubted and all he does is win and make the spectacular look routine. At the end of the day, however, it's a pretty tall mountain to climb out there in the desert. It's quite the undertaking but maybe it's just crazy enough to work.

Quote:

Any idea of the process or the selection of the next 12th man will be?

No idea on the process but I believe it'll come down to Braden White and Keeath Magee.

Quote:

Quote:

Do you think any team could make the playoff on our schedule? Out of the next batch of contenders (obviously excluding the big 4 opponents we play).....Ohio St Is the only one that I could see doing it and I'd say it's around a 25% chance at best, I don't see Oklahoma, Michigan or any of the other teams in that tier being able to do so.

If we're assuming two losses leaves you out, then no one outside of the SEC would have a chance. Not Ohio State, not OU, not Michigan...no one. And that doesn't even factor into account the concept of having to add what would probably ANOTHER (a fourth) top-5 opponent in the SEC title game.

What's your favorite kind of Pizza toppings?
These days I'm liking jalapeno and bacon (sometimes with grilled chicken). I'm also a fan of a plain cheese pizza with extra sauce and used to love a good old meatball pizza but only if it's from an authentic NYC pizza joint. Meatball and ricotta - give it a try and thank me later.

Quote:

Best series on TV currently?

I guess it's still GoT for the next month or so. Tell me your top-3 because I'm interested in picking up a new show. I've binged a LOT of the suggestions you guys have given me during the off-season so far.

Quote:

Who gets more snaps at LB in 2019 between Andre White and Aaron Hansford?

I'm going to predict White on this one but Hansford really is a wildcard at linebacker. Fall camp will tell us the story with him.

Quote:

Which 2 get the most snaps at DB in 2019 between Blades, Renfro, Chattman and Oliver?

I'll go with Renfro and Blades. Did you leave out Myles Jones for a reason? That would have made things much tougher.

Quote:

Our way too early ranking of 8 seems a bit high. What are your thoughts? Realistic or too optimistic? 

Agree. It feels very high to me. I think this looks like a top-15 team right now. Don't get me wrong, I think they're going to be very good and when doing the ranking you don't factor in the whole, 'well, they'll have a hard time finishing there based on the schedule' thing. From that standpoint, maybe 8 isn't too high. I would probably go somewhere around 12.

Quote:

RB predictions for the 2020 class?

See above. Like the Ags' chances with McGowan best, think they'll be squarely in the mix for Adams and they'll hang in it and trade punches in the Zach Evans recruitment from wire to wire.

Quote:

Aggie football final ranking after 2019-2020 season?

After the season? I think the Ags come out of bowl season with a top-12 ranking and a pre-season top-5 billing entering 2020.

Quote:

Have you tried mixing Skittles Sweet Heat with the Skittles Sour?

Hate the sour ones and have never tried Sweet Heat. Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Quote:

What needs to happen this year to keep 2020 as the year we start competing for championships?

Mond and the WRs need to take the next step, the young DBs must step up and become quality SEC players (meaning O'Neal, Blades and a couple of the newcomers) and A&M needs to go from winning one high-profile game last year to claiming two such victories in 2019.

Quote:

Have you had a chance to check out the show "Killing Eve"? Would recommend it.

I have not but I'm looking for a new one so thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:

If you're looking for a good read, check out "An Absolutely Remarkable Thing" by Hank Green (hope they make a movie).

Okay, will do! I still have the book Buzz recommended to me to read, as well. Need to do that on my next flight, so long as I haven't scheduled a question thread that same day.

Quote:

What did you do for 4-20 ?

Not a smoker (don't do anything besides drink, TBH) but I'm pretty sure I was with a group of friends for dinner who had celebrated accordingly that day. Let's just say it's was a long, slow dinner with a lot of laughs and they may have over-ordered.

Quote:

Seeing how Demas has become a "vocal" leader for the recruiting class and ultimately the face of the 2020 class, how much is his voice and behind the scenes knowledge really used by the coaching staff? Not only to further pound home recruiting messages but to really see how they stand with other recruits that are on the big board?

He's going to ultimately have a pretty significant impact and I think you'll start to see it a lot more this summer during the camp and 7-on-7 season. Of all of the Aggies' 'five-star' commits and signees over the past few years, I'm not sure I've seen a more vocal prospect and one capable of rallying support. Jalen Jones is also extremely active and vocal for a very highly-regarded commit, as well.

Quote:

Top 3 AD's we go after?

I'll withhold this answer, as the Aggies have successfully moved very quietly through the process. If you want an idea, just look at, let's say ten departments you believe are among the most successful - the obvious programs - and then take out the guys you feel there's no way A&M or anyone else can pull from their current school (someone like Castiglione at OU who has been there for an eternity) and you'd have a pretty good working list. So far, I've heard all of one name as even a possible candidate that would come from outside of that group and one other 'Group of Five' guy who is getting some buzz. That's it.

Quote:

Care to elaborate on "Unless the Ags hire and AD tonight or tomorrow,"?

Well we are past that date and it didn't happen so I guess elaborating isn't necessary! Seriously though, I've hit the AD stuff a little at the top of this week's Q&A so search around and you'll find it.

Quote:

What makes Schmitty such a special strength coach? I would assume that his workouts would be easy to copy, so he just a master motivator that can get these guys to push themselves farther than anyone else, or is there something else?

He's an incredible motivator and he's one of the all-time best in terms of helping a head coach develop the right culture and mentality in his program. Accountability, discipline, reaching down deep in the 'fourth quarter,' teamwork and just getting the guys to the point that they actually ENJOY this stuff. He sets the foundation and is in lockstep with his head coach at all times, which isn't always the case when it comes to S&C coaches. On top of all of that, his players respect the hell out of him. Again, that's not always been the case around here and if things fall off in the weight room, it tends to be the start of a program/head coach's decay, IMO.

Quote:

Who will be our #2 QB to start the season?

Not sure but check a couple of questions down the thread. Foster came on late in spring ball, too, and has made some pretty eye-opening strides since the end of last season.

Quote:

Rate the following great TV: Game of Thrones, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, or your personal favorite:

I'll go Sopranos, GoT, Breaking Bad, in that order. Sitcoms, it's Seinfeld and The Office 1-2 for me.

Quote:

And thank you for all the things you do for us.

You're very welcome...anytime!

Quote:

Thinking Calzada could win the back-up role, play in a couple of games and still redshirt if Mond stays healthy. Thoughts? 

I don't disagree with that. I think that's quite likely actually. Not a guarantee but my guess is it's the most likely outcome.

Quote:

Evans or McGowan? Who is more likely if one falls our way. Seems McGowan is our best shot.

I'd say McGowan is more likely, but don't misconstrue that as me saying A&M is out of it with Zach. He and Jimbo actually have a great relationship and still talk regularly.

Quote:

What's the plan for Brian Johnson? LB or DB?

He went through the spring as a pure safety. Had a couple of very nice plays, including a sensational sideline interception at one point.

Quote:

What's your guess for how QB recruiting shakes out this class?

Totally up in the air. Love the Haynes King offer and hope the Ags can quickly put themselves into real contention after arriving slightly late to the party.

Quote:

Johnny, sorry John update? Does he make a camp?

See above. He's going to have to really dive in and go all out while staying completely off the radar in order to find himself in a camp.

Quote:

Can't resist..
Gabe-Lady Mormont
RyanB. - Khal Drago
Olin - Varys
Logan - Lord Baelish
Billy - Tyrian Lannister (before he turned serious)

Two things: I was actually going to tag Logan with Littlefinger from the start and Brauny is the furthest thing from a Dothraki warrior there is. The dude once pulled himself off of the road due to a suspected insect bite. Gabe as Lady Mormont made my entire morning.

Quote:

Now that some time has passed, will you share some stories of things you heard of Hugh Freeze doing recruiting-wise that you would not have shared when he was still coaching?

I'm honestly only privy to a couple of specifics but it's just that for years prior to his takedown, coaches around the league were getting pretty vocal (and so were Texas high school coaches) that his brand of cheating was over the top and to the point that it was getting completely out of hand. He dove in with both feet too soon and it was just too obvious. And when you're outbidding some of the programs Ole Miss was outbidding, you're going to shake up the establishment to the point that the heat is all but certain to come down on you. Make of this what you will, but I heard some of what the Rebels were pulling in Dallas was about as brazen as it gets. There are two or three programs I know of right now that are going down that same road, two with relatively inexperienced head coaches.

Quote:

Appreciate the Q and A! Offseason question for you...how would the wrecking crew defense of the early 90's perform in today's SEC? And how would today's Clemson perform in the early 90's SWC?

I think both would succeed at a high level. Look, the 90's Wrecking Crew may or may have had to change their style a bit in terms of maybe dialing back the aggression at times but the bottom line is that they were as fast, athletic, physical and talented as any defense in college football. Put those same 11 on the field today and they'd be every bit as talented as the Bamas and Clemson's of the world on D.

Quote:

What was your single biggest surprise regarding Aggie Draft results?

Trayveon. Not so much that he went in the sixth round but much more so because around 15 running backs were taken before him. He'll prove a lot of teams wrong. They were too focused on lack of size and testing results and not enough on his production against SEC competition and the really important things like heart, competitive nature, leadership, toughness, commitment and blocking.

Quote:

How many more years will it take for state of Texas recruits to see the continuing dominance by SEC putting players in the NFL....Hard to understand how we lose any elite Defensive recruits to tu in the modern era.

It does sometimes make you scratch your head but over time the power teams in scab leagues figure out their counter-point to that. OU has always done a nice job of almost scaring front seven prospects into believing they're not big enough to hold up to the 'pounding' and physicality of the SEC. It's like they're selling "come here and rush the passer more and prevent the wear and tear." It's ridiculous - especially when you realize that wear and tear does nothing to scare the NFL teams off on draft day and it's actually the lack of competition and defense in the Big 12 that really scares them off - but it works on guys from time to time. In general, though, there's a reason A&M has recruited like they have since joining the SEC and especially since Fisher has arrived. A big part of it has to do with the fact that great players want to face great competition.

Quote:

If we take 23 this year, how many are OOS?

I could see the Ags taking as many as 8 or 9 or even 10 OOS signees this year.

Quote:

If McGowan wants to commit in June, do we take him even if it takes us out if the running for Evans?

Without a doubt. And I'm not even sure that would take them out of the running for Evans. He's not the type who is worried at all about being the only back in a class. Regardless, McGowan is a screaming take and would have been the state's top-rated back in like nine of the last ten years. He's a stud.

Quote:

Thank you for going after the fools that hide behind the keyboard and constantly talk crap.

'Tis my honor, good sir. I think those who get offended by it and play the 'customer service' card don't have a full understand of what it's like to try and manage a board that the 99% of folks can tolerate and enjoy. It's about the culture and soul of this place that we all love so much and preserving that.

Quote:

My wife and daughter purchased this for me last Christmas knowing I wouldn't spend money on myself, I tend to lurk more just because some of these jacka$$es are just sad and I don't want to get caught up in it.

Tell your wife and daughter thank you for me! That's a great Christmas present, isn't it? The gift that keeps on giving.

Quote:

Also you and Brauninger kill it every week, yall are my favorite part of Texags. Keep up the good work!

Brauny gets a lot of grief from us because he practically begs for it but he's done an amazing job and is only getting better.

Quote:

By your estimation does Jimbo land Hayes and Achane this cycle?

Yes but neither is a slam dunk.

Quote:

How many ban hammers does Thor smack down in Endgame?

Not as many as were handed out the first time I tried to put this Q&A out.

Quote:

If you had to project, as a baseball fan (not analyst), what was your expectation for this group on the diamond at the the beginning of the season, to what level do you project now?

I thought the Ags were a regional team and close to the 2/3 line. Now I think they're going to end up a solid 2 but not hosting after the way they started would be a disappointment, IMO. I'd like to see them rally beginning this weekend. It's still there in front of them and with the two starting pitchers they've got at the top, they'd be pretty dangerous in a super.

Quote:

Dang it i forgot my questions I asked in the other thread

Haha, I'll get back to a few of those that the one poster consolidated at some point.

Quote:

Who do you think will be leaving early for NFL after this season?

Right now, I'd go with Madubuike only. I expect he'll leave a year on the table. Beyond that, maybe one of the receivers could see their stock explode with a monster year or maybe (I hope not) make a bit of a hasty decision and leave as a projected 2/3 round guy. We'll see, but it could just be one and maybe two, which would really set things up for a 2020 run.

Quote:

Do you expect any transfers by August?

Yes but just because it almost always happens. Nothing significant but I'd be surprised if we didn't see some slight attrition between now and when summer school begins.

Quote:

Thank you for the Spring cleaning!

You're welcome. Long overdue.

Quote:

You going to Hootie in June?

Planning on it, yes. I've never seen him.

Quote:

I love the demeanor/attitude that's been reported about McGowan....am I crazy to think I'd prefer to sign him over Evans? It seems like the hit rate with kids with the talent/attitude combo of kids like McGowan is insanely high compared to most.

Evans is special but like I said McGowan would be the state's No. 1 back in like eight or nine of the last ten years. This offense produces outstanding runners and Seth has more than enough talent for Jay Graham to turn into a big-time SEC back. With that said, you continue to go all out for Evans for multiple reasons. First, he's a rare talent who is still seriously considering A&M. Second, it's not like McGowan is an A&M commit or anything like that so the Ags currently have neither. In all honesty, if A&M landed one of the three out of Evans, McGowan or Sam Adams, I'd consider it a huge coup for Jimbo, Graham and the Aggie staff.

Quote:

Can we just forever pin the "How is Johnny doing?" question on these? Someone asks every single time these threads are made. I'm not bashing as I am curious as well.

Make it a regular part of the feature, I get it.

Quote:

Early top 25 has A&M #8. Do you think that is an accurate ranking? You are about as close to the team than anyone other than the coaches.

See above. I think that might be a little high but when you look around at the teams ranked near them - squads like Auburn, Texas, etc - it doesn't seem like nearly as much of a stretch.

Quote:

Will the 2019 squad have the kind of speed at receiver and in the secondary to compete with other top ten programs on our schedule? I feel like we are still lacking in the speed department, but I was interested in hearing your thoughts.

I don't think they'll have that kind of speed you're referring to (that Bama/Clemson speed) at receiver but they will have some proven playmakers and are adding more weapons. In the secondary, a lot of that will depend on the new faces. Lack of speed at safety definitely concerns me against certain opponents, particularly the guys Tua, Trevor and Jake Fromm will be throwing to.

Quote:

Why do you think we were somewhat "slow" to offer Haynes King? Everyone on this board seems to regard him as one of the top two or three in the state.

Well, the goal isn't to land a 'top two or three in the state' type every year. It's to sign an elite quarterback capable of winning games in the SEC and helping the Ags compete for SEC titles and playoff berths. Not sure why it took as long as it did but it's not like they waited to have him in camp to offer and it's still not as if the entire country has come calling. They're late but they didn't miss the party. I suspect A&M will be a key player in this race.

Quote:

Now that RC is the interim AD, do we go full old school unis for the year?

I don't think R.C. is going to mess with the uniforms during his interim stint very much.

Quote:

When are we going to get a good flow of recruits?

I think it will start in the very near future and there will be a steady flow through the month of May and then several will fall in June. Ags are in a good position with a few guys right now that we've alluded to.

Quote:

What is our worst position group, and where do they rank in the SEC? I feel like even our bad units are pretty good units.

I'd agree with that for the most part. I think the secondary has a LOT to prove but there were definite signs of improvement during the final five games of the season (even Auburn until the disastrous final seven minutes or so) and Mike Elko is adding a lot to the back end of his defense in the form of newcomers. Honestly, it would be pretty tough to place the A&M linebacker unit anywhere outside of near the bottom of the league at this point in time. I haven't studied the conference but I don't imagine there's any way a team could have LESS experience at the position and only two of the guys competing for playing time have played enough to flash high-end potential. One of those is coming off of a 2018 season-ending ACL tear so there are far more questions than answers at the position as the Ags begin the run-up to fall camp. If that position can turn out to be a solid unit, the Aggie defense has a chance to be pretty salty but it's a big if until we see it materialize.

Quote:

Out of the 4 marquee games we have on the 2019 football, which one would you most prefer us to win?

Most prefer? I think I'd rank them like this: 1 Alabama (for recruiting purposes and claiming that one at Kyle Field in front of every recruit in the state and from coast to coast more than anything else) 2 Clemson (defending national champs, on the road, set the tone for the season) 3 LSU (do I really even need to explain why?) 4 Georgia (you'd probably be knocking off a top-5 playoff contender on the road in November)

Quote:

Do you think there will be any surprise transfers from guys who just never got traction here? Not asking for name...just if you see the potential for any surprise transfers. 

Probably, but nothing in the way of a mass summer exodus. Just a guy here or there.

Quote:

What single position do you think is our most needed to hit a recruiting home run?

A home run? I think it's very important to stack class on the OL this year and I think they need to upgrade over last year's haul. It wasn't as good as some of the other positions they brought in. That and the secondary. Talent level overall isn't what it should be in the SEC West dating back to the Chavis days and last year's class was a good start. I'd love to see them go Jaylen Jones, Marco Domio, Antonio Johnson and one more OOS guy plus maybe sneak back in on a currently committed in-state prospect. My prediction is two Texans, two OOS and a JUCO and we'll be very happy with the back-to-back hauls.

Quote:

Any update on Vernon Jackson?

Nothing yet. See above.

Quote:

Top 3 AD's we go after?

I'll give you this easter egg...from the start of me answering this yesterday to the end, I've heard enough to believe there are actually three targets and think they'll close soon enough.

Quote:

Where do you see the next round of CBS negotiations heading? Do you think the SEC does their own thing or does CBS pony up the $$? As always, TexAgs is killing it with the content. Congratulations on the success you all are having and to many more exciting moments ahead w/ TexAgs, thanks Looch!

I've heard CBS is about to really pony up some ca$$$$$h, for what it's worth. Thanks for the kind words, as well.

Quote:

Since Mond is solid at QB and has improved so much, do you think we will see a lot more sophisticated routes being run by the receivers this year, like outside timing patterns and crossing patterns like Alabama was using last year?

I don't think that's an unrealistic possibility. I do know that Kellen and the wideouts are now very comfortable with the offense and passing game in general and also when it comes to reading coverage, which is every bit as important.

Quote:

Is it just me or is our coaching staff doing a lot more out of state recruiting this year?

It's not just you. They're definitely canvassing the entire country, literally from coast to coast. They did so last year and at the end of the '18 cycle as well but this is definitely more so than it's been.

Quote:

Don't you think there is something seriously wrong with a country whose favorite movies are basically cartoons? The last 20 top grossing pictures have probably been marvel cartoons or superhero movies. Is that not mentally dysfunctional?

Yeah, it's pretty sad. I mean, I go and see them but I'm not hanging on the releases and have been incredibly disappointed in what's happening with cinema the last few years. Feels like we go months and months at a time without anything to look forward to in terms of new releases or upcoming blockbusters.

Quote:

Although the number of spots is lower compared to last year, do you believe when it's all said and done that the 2020 class will be more talented top to bottom than 2019? Seems like the Ags are much more selective this year.

Remains to be seen. There was an awful lot of talent in last year's class.

Quote:

Will the AD hire be a WOW hire like Jimbo and if so who are the movers making the decision? Is it a single person or a group of people? Ps my monthly subscription is the best purchase I make each month. Thanks for providing the content for us all.

Thanks for the love on the sub...it is a lot of bang for your buck, right? Maybe I'll just break off on my own and do the question thread every week for $9.99 a month and keep all the profit?  Seriously though, the group making this particular hire is very small. My question is this: How many ADs would qualify as a 'wow' hire? Did you guys consider Scott one when the Ags pulled him from UW? No one would admit it today but I'd be willing to bet that there are some of you who were more excited about the Hyman hire "because SEC" when it happened, am I right? I think it will end up being a very strong hire.

Quote:

Everybody wants to know the next commit. I want to know who you think is going through the full calendar for their process? Translation: what big time, scheduled to be late commits do you think round out our class? The icing on the cake, if you will. 

Too early to tell on those guys because they're waiting so long that they aren't really leaning any which way. A lot of the very best prospects the Ags are targeting plan to wait things out and there aren't really any in-state who qualify as 'can't-miss' five-star talents IMO this year outside of Demas and Evans. It's a decent year in the state but nothing to write home about compared to '19 and '21, TBH.

Quote:

Chicago dog or chili cheese dog? Diet be damned. 

Like most of you, I grew up on chili cheese dogs at the ballpark but I might actually go Chicago dog here. Minus the tomatoes and with a lot of ketchup.

Peak Looch continues to be the best. The below with the "Brewster is an elite recruiter but he missed on a lot of targets....." GOLD!

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Peak Looch continues to be the best. The below with the "Brewster is an elite recruiter but he missed on a lot of targets....." GOLD!

legit question. If the power programs are uber-aggressive about paying players than who the fuck would go to aggy for any amount of money?

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Wow. This is obviously insane considering the source, but then you realize ESPN promotes this same line of thinking, and realize how biased the CFB world is these days. 

He seems more disconnected from reality than usual today. Of those eight blowouts, Clemson was on the winning end of half. Maybe we should just put them in every year no matter what?

Best of all, one of the biggest ass kickings was Jimbo getting thoroughly destroyed by Oregon in 2014. That beating was "my wife left me for a 20 year old on a rival team" level emasculating. Maybe we can make a rule that no Jimbo coached teams can go to the playoffs too?

Not that it's ever going to be an issue while he's at aggy.

Edited by campcrunk
Grammar and spelling and other stuff
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

Oh yeah, and do you want to play Texas or would you rather tell them and their fan base (including the maggots reading this Q&A) to screw off and focus instead on continuing scheduling high-profile home-and-homes like Clemson, Miami and Notre Dame to get more exposure nationally?

Raise your hand if you are a maggot. 

10 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Oh yeah, and do you want to play Texas or would you rather tell them and their fan base (including the maggots reading this Q&A) to screw off and focus instead on continuing scheduling high-profile home-and-homes like Clemson, Miami and Notre Dame to get more exposure nationally?

You've got to admit that they really are setting themselves up for a series of very, very high quality losses. The Golden Era of A&M Football is nigh.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Aggy randomly secures out of state commitment from east coast defensive player 

I feel like that’s a free space on the bingo card. 

So who's their bagman out there.  Since when do a bunch of black kids from new jersey decided they like college station.  lmao, and if they favor living in a cult like shithole, penn state isn't that far.  These dudes get the most random commits. 

Edited by victory88

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

So he's their bagman out there.  Since when do a bunch of black kids from new jersey decided they like college station.  lmao, and if they are into living into a cult like shithole, penn state isn't that far.  These dudes get the most random commits. 

Elko and Elijah Robinson (DL coach) have deep connections up in that area. It's funny to see on their boards that they're treating NJ/PA players like Louisiana players in that all of them are supposedly about half a star to a full star better than their rating.

57 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

My favorite thing about this gif is that one day Liucci’s kids/grandkids will google his name and this will be in the top image search results.

He’s a eunuch. No woman wants anything to do with his fat, greasy ass and he and another dude can’t make babies. Not that he won’t try. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Elko and Elijah Robinson (DL coach) have deep connections up in that area. It's funny to see on their boards that they're treating NJ/PA players like Louisiana players in that all of them are supposedly about half a star to a full star better than their rating.

Deep connections? Sure buddy. That is no where close to what is going on here, but I am good with them going NE. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, George Clooney said:

The only connection they have in that area appears to be knowing what players are on the open market. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Deep connections? Sure buddy. That is no where close to what is going on here, but I am good with them going NE. 

Some day it's going to come out that Elko prefers Wawa to Buc-ee's and the fanbase will have to have a serious think about it.

11 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

My favorite thing about this gif is that one day Liucci’s kids/grandkids will google his name and this will be in the top image search results.

The aggy animal husbandry department has a lot of work ahead of them if he's ever going to reproduce.

jtwb35.jpg

A&M's new 2020 offers: Where do the Aggies stand?

VIP ByBRIAN PERRONI 10 minutes ago

0 Comments

[https://s3media](Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

Just like with other schools across college football, the Texas A&M coaches have been on the road the past few weeks for the spring evaluation period. Coaches make several stops every day and each could be for different reasons. They could be there to see their top targets or they could be doing evaluations for potential offers. Sometimes, the visits are just to see and be seen as they make sure to keep contact with high schools in their region.

Though much of the evaluation being done by the Aggies is with underclassmen, a few class of 2020 prospects have been offered as of late as well. Here's a look at the most recent offers and where things stand.

Earlier this week, A&M made a much-anticipated offer to Longview quarterback Haynes King. The 6-foot-2.5, 183-pound dual-threat prospect seems a perfect fit for the offense after throwing for 3,877 yards and 42 touchdowns with only four interceptions as a junior. He also ran for 664 yards and eight scores en route to leading Longview to a state title.

Though King is high on Baylor and TCU as well, he is enamored with the SEC. LSU was seen as an early favorite, but the Tigers already have a pair of four-star quarterbacks committed. King is also looking at Arkansas, Auburn, Tennessee and now A&M. It would not be a surprise to see the East Texan make it down to College Station soon.

Last weekend, A&M offered an all-purpose back during an unofficial visit to campus. Jabari Small out of Memphis (Tenn.) Briarcrest is listed as an 'athlete' but was offered as a do-everything back by A&M. He could line up in the backfield or in the slot at different times.

The 5-foot-10, 195-pound junior has picked up a number of new offers as of late but his trip to Aggieland, despite not holding an A&M offer at the time, showed his very real interest. He will almost assuredly return on an official visit at some point, likely with national top-100 offensive tackle teammate Omari Thomas.

This past weekend, Texas A&M defensive tackles coach Isaiah Robinson made his way to Pittsburgh, which is part of his recruiting territory. One of the offers he extended was to Westinghouse defensive lineman Dayon Hayes.

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound defender is ranked as a tackle but could also be a strongside defensive end. A mid-three-star prospect, Hayes has seen a number of big offers as of late, including from Ohio State and Penn State. The Aggies have not landed a player from Western PA in a long time, if possibly ever. Because of that and also the big regional offers, Hayes will be a tough pull.

Another recent defensive line offer by Robinson was to Isaiah Raikes of Richland (N.J.) St. Augustine. He was in town on an unofficial visit with new Aggie commit Fadil Diggs, a close friend. Should A&M push hard, the Aggies are in good shape with the 6-foot-0.5, 324-pound defender.

With Joe Jon Finley now on staff in Aggieland after having come over from Missouri, A&M is recruiting both Kansas City and St. Louis heavily. Not surprisingly, A&M has now offered the top recruit from Kansas City in Raytown four-star cornerback Dontae Manning. The 6-foot, 175-pound national top-100 prospect committed to Oklahoma in the middle of last month, though, and seems solid in his pledge.

At the cornerback spot, Maurice Linguist made a trip to Kansas this past week to check in on a number of junior college prospects.

He saw a pair of players the Aggies had already offered in Nadab Joseph of Independence and Brian George of Highland. Neither of those lists the Aggies in their top groups, though. However, Linguist also made his way to Hutchinson to check out Art Green. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound defender was offered by the Aggies after that trip. Green recorded six interceptions as a freshman a year ago and the Missouri native has seen a number of new offers come his way as of late.

Green and Blinn College's Marco Domioare the two junior college corners A&M is in the best shape with, though the latter is much more likely to end up in Aggieland.

Last week, A&M made its way to Tyler John Tyler and offered speedy four-star athlete Kitan Crawford. Though he also plays running back, the Aggies like the 5-foot-11, 200-pounder at cornerback.

Crawford had recently named a top three of Baylor, Tennessee and Texas. He has officially visited Tennessee while Texas has all of the Crystal Ball predictions. The Aggies are going to try to make it a top four, but it could be tough with him having narrowed things down already

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The only connection they have in that area appears to be knowing what players are on the open market. 

Was this recruitment clean? No, but Robinson went to Diggs’ HS, so that’s obviously a connection.

So Daddy98 thinks Henson needs a scolding?  That honeymoon was over quickly.  Jim Turner must have been Daddy's booze buddy.  Daddy98 and Turner watched a lot of tape together while preparing those women's clinic slides and toting Rumlin from the bar to the bedroom.  

9 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

So Daddy98 thinks Henson needs a scolding?  That honeymoon was over quickly.  Jim Turner must have been Daddy's booze buddy.  Daddy98 and Turner watched a lot of tape together while preparing those women's clinic slides and toting Rumlin from the bar to the bedroom.  

I remember Daddy loving Turner.  When Sumlin hired him back to aggy Daddy compared him to Hannibal from the A Team.  

“Give Jimmy T a month and he’s good.  Give him 6 months he’s great.  Give him two years and he’s unstoppable”

god I love that idiot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

No way that fag is procreating. For several reasons.

16 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

He’s a eunuch. No woman wants anything to do with his fat, greasy ass and he and another dude can’t make babies. Not that he won’t try. 

On 5/3/2019 at 10:50 PM, Goodman said:

because you can't be like I am with women and be picky to a fault or you'll end up past 40 and still single...but I digress.

He's just picky to a fault you stupid fucking sips! Jeeezus 

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Perroni's top three most likely next commits: Domio, Hayes, Raikes

Please take Raikes.  Domio to another SEC school and Hayes to Arkansas would provide lots of lulz.

They like Crawford now, but the moment he commits to Texas he'll be "not SEC good" , " to small to play in the big boy conference" , ect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Please take Raikes.  Domio to another SEC school and Hayes to Arkansas would provide lots of lulz.

They like Crawford now, but the moment he commits to Texas he'll be "not SEC good" , " to small to play in the big boy conference" , ect.

It's almost like we've been through this once or twice 

1 hour ago, Leanderman said:

All these kids from up north must really make the Texas High School Coaches feel great and wanted.

2018 aggy: Tsips had to get thier best players out of state. We own this state.

2019 aggy: We are taking our recruiting nationwide. Jimbo knows what he's doing. Also not a lot of good players in the state of Texas this year. Herman can have them. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 10:10 PM, Lobwedgephil said:

There are two or three programs I know of right now that are going down that same road, two with relatively inexperienced head coaches.

Hmm. I sometimes forget that in aggyland, saying it over and over makes it true.  

5 hours ago, texaslong said:

2018 aggy: Tsips had to get thier best players out of state. We own this state.

2019 aggy: We are taking our recruiting nationwide. Jimbo knows what he's doing. Also not a lot of good players in the state of Texas this year. Herman can have them. 

You're one year off but still accurate. It should read

2018 aggy: We got jumbo! Sitting. National. Champ. Corch. Birch.

2019 aggy: Tsips had to get thier best players out of state. We own this state. [Rankings don't mean shit unless it's from Sakarin's or ESPN.]

2020 aggy: We are taking our recruiting nationwide. Jimbo knows what he's doing. Also not a lot of good players in the state of Texas this year. Herman can have them. 

• Like 2

On May 5, 2019 at 12:50 AM, Tex Pete said:

Well, loochie is very picky about his "female" friends.