Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

3:34p

Staff

- I've heard from various sources that Longview QB Haynes King is expected to be on the phone with Darrell Dickey and Jimbo Fisher this week. Like we've said, it's hard to get a read on the King camp, but there's no doubt A&M is battling Tennessee blow for blow here. While Tennessee does have Harrison Bailey committed, King's relationship with Jim Cheney and Chris Weinke is keeping the Vols around as more than a serious threat. An east Texas contact believes the Aggies do ultimately pull this one out because of Jimbo and Dickey's track records of developing quarterbacks. We'll see what happens as the end of the month and an expected decision draw near, but I'd call this one 50.1 to 49.9 in favor of A&M based on the intel I've received.

- A prospect I don't believe we've talked enough about in terms of A&M's chances of landing him is Memphis (TN) big man Omari Thomas. The 6-5, 300 pounder is gifted enough to play on either side of the line of scrimmage, but a source in Tennessee believes he's a game changer at defensive tackle. It sounds like he and fellow Tennessean Dallas Walker sit near the top of the A&M wish list as true interior DL's. CyRidge's Vernon Broughton is a swing guy while Alfred Collins and Princely Umanmielen are the top targets at end. 

- To back up what Looch said earlier today, I continue to hear A&M is trending the right direction for corners Dontae Manning(Kansas City, MO) and Joshuah Moten (Ft Washington, MD). Also, a Houston area source told me today that Aldine MacArthur CB Josh Eaton would like to have his process wrapped up by early July. 

- One more name I don't think has been mentioned in a while in connection to A&M is Norcross (GA) LB Choe Bryant-Strother. The 6-3, 230 pound backer remains in pretty consistent communication with Bradley Dale Peveto, and it wouldn't surprise me if he turned up in Aggieland this summer. 

21 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Ryan Brauninger

Staff

- I've heard from various sources that Longview QB Haynes King is expected to be on the phone with Darrell Dickey and Jimbo Fisher this week. Like we've said, it's hard to get a read on the King camp, but there's no doubt A&M is battling Tennessee blow for blow here. While Tennessee does have Harrison Bailey committed, King's relationship with Jim Cheney and Chris Weinke is keeping the Vols around as more than a serious threat. An east Texas contact believes the Aggies do ultimately pull this one out because of Jimbo and Dickey's track records of developing quarterbacks. We'll see what happens as the end of the month and an expected decision draw near, but I'd call this one 50.1 to 49.9 in favor of A&M based on the intel I've received.

This shit from the aggie writers is just fucking stupid. They really have no idea how to write a meaningful update. 

- I've heard from various sources (I can just imagine a number of phone calls pouring in to give ol'Brauny the heads up) that Longview QB Haynes King is expected to be on the phone with Darrell Dickey and Jimbo Fisher this week (wow, he's expected to be on the phone at some point in the next 7 days with college football coaches - we've got us an update here, folks!). Like we've said, it's hard to get a read on the King camp (then who the fuck are the various sources giving you insights on the King camp? you don't have a read, but you have an update, motherfucker?), but there's no doubt A&M is battling Tennessee blow for blow here (how does one battle "blow for blow" with another institution for a recruit? are they in a fist fight? is ATM putting flaming sacks of poo on the Tennessee football office's doorstep, ringing the doorbell, and running away, only to have UTenn respond by doing a drive by egging on ATM's front door?; are their trade secrets being pilfered and passed on?; what the fuck is a blow for blow in this situation?). While Tennessee does have Harrison Bailey committed, King's relationship with Jim Cheney and Chris Weinke is keeping the Vols around as more than a serious threat (what is a "more than serious threat"? a very grave threat? an angry threat?). An east Texas contact believes the Aggies do ultimately pull this one out because of Jimbo and Dickey's track records of developing quarterbacks. We'll see what happens as the end of the month and an expected decision draw near, but I'd call this one 50.1 to 49.9 in favor of A&M based on the intel I've received.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This shit from the aggie writers is just fucking stupid. They really have no idea how to write a meaningful update. 

- I've heard from various sources (I can just imagine a number of phone calls pouring in to give ol'Brauny the heads up) that Longview QB Haynes King is expected to be on the phone with Darrell Dickey and Jimbo Fisher this week (wow, he's expected to be on the phone at some point in the next 7 days with college football coaches - we've got us an update here, folks!). Like we've said, it's hard to get a read on the King camp (then who the fuck are the various sources giving you insights on the King camp? you don't have a read, but you have an update, motherfucker?), but there's no doubt A&M is battling Tennessee blow for blow here (how does one battle "blow for blow" with another institution for a recruit? are they in a fist fight? is ATM putting flaming sacks of poo on the Tennessee football office's doorstep, ringing the doorbell, and running away, only to have UTenn respond by doing a drive by egging on ATM's front door?; are their trade secrets being pilfered and passed on?; what the fuck is a blow for blow in this situation?). While Tennessee does have Harrison Bailey committed, King's relationship with Jim Cheney and Chris Weinke is keeping the Vols around as more than a serious threat (what is a "more than serious threat"? a very grave threat? an angry threat?). An east Texas contact believes the Aggies do ultimately pull this one out because of Jimbo and Dickey's track records of developing quarterbacks. We'll see what happens as the end of the month and an expected decision draw near, but I'd call this one 50.1 to 49.9 in favor of A&M based on the intel I've received.

I went to Longview High School.  From those in Longview, King's dad, who is the head coach at LHS, has more than once, let it be known, that he is NOT a fan of Jimbo or aggy.  Doesn't mean that aggy doesnt eventually win this kid, but I just don't see it happening. So really, who knows?

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-  King's relationship with Jim Cheney and Chris Weinke is keeping the Vols around as more than a serious threat (what is a "more than serious threat"? a very grave threat? an angry threat?).

155d04a9-7ec5-467e-b6c9-21d17391a6b6_tex

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ryan Brauninger

Staff

- A prospect I don't believe we've talked enough about in terms of A&M's chances of landing him is Memphis (TN) big man Omari Thomas. The 6-5, 300 pounder is gifted enough to play on either side of the line of scrimmage, but a source in Tennessee believes he's a game changer at defensive tackle. It sounds like he and fellow Tennessean Dallas Walker sit near the top of the A&M wish list as true interior DL's. CyRidge's Vernon Broughton is a swing guy while Alfred Collins and Princely Umanmielen are the top targets at end. 

- To back up what Looch said earlier today, I continue to hear A&M is trending the right direction for corners Dontae Manning(Kansas City, MO) and Joshuah Moten (Ft Washington, MD). Also, a Houston area source told me today that Aldine MacArthur CB Josh Eaton would like to have his process wrapped up by early July. 

- One more name I don't think has been mentioned in a while in connection to A&M is Norcross (GA) LB Choe Bryant-Strother. The 6-3, 230 pound backer remains in pretty consistent communication with Bradley Dale Peveto, and it wouldn't surprise me if he turned up in Aggieland this summer. 

If Texags is saying that it’s 50/50 Tennessee or A&M then it really is more like 70/30 Tennessee.

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

If Texags is saying that it’s 50/50 Tennessee or A&M then it really is more like 70/30 Tennessee.

But when he commits to Tennessee it will be a moral victory because they went “blow for blow” with an SEC powerhouse for King. 

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I went to Longview High School.  From those in Longview, King's dad, who is the head coach at LHS, has more than once, let it be known, that he is NOT a fan of Jimbo or aggy.  Doesn't mean that aggy doesnt eventually win this kid, but I just don't see it happening. So really, who knows?

I have a hard time seeing most Texas high school coaches liking Jimbo much, if at all. It's not just that he has an abrasive personality, it's also that his style of football is firmly rooted in the 1980s NFL. He's about as innovative as week-old cornbread.

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I don't think I know a single person from Longview, besides you, apparently, but I have some buddies that know the story there. The dad just thinks Fisher runs a grist mill, doesn't have the players' best interests at heart, and will probably wind up elsewhere down the line anyway. To boot, Fisher doesn't exactly give off the "we're brothers in the same vocation" vibe that is expected in the coaching fraternity.

The view has been that if the dad can wrap his head around letting his son go to a school that will have a 3 or 4 year starter in front of him, such as Bo Nix at Auburn, the kid is going to Auburn. If LSU trapdoors one of its QB commits, he probably winds up there. If those things don't happen, then they swallow their medicine and he goes to UTenn or they hold their nose and rationalize ATM making sense. 

I honestly don't view a commitment to UTenn or ATM at this juncture as entirely firm. If he commits to UTenn, I'll absolutely be entertained, however.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Jimbo doesn't have a whole lot of fans in coaching circles. Being an abrasive and megalomaniacal dick will do that.

He had a hard time pulling recruits in Tampa while he was at FSU. He managed to piss off a lot of coaches in that part of the state.

5 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Already told them.  lol...also a Longview grad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TBGFL said:

Jimbo doesn't have a whole lot of fans in coaching circles. Being an abrasive and megalomaniacal dick will do that.

He had a hard time pulling recruits in Tampa while he was at FSU. He managed to piss off a lot of coaches in that part of the state.

Who needs overrated Florida talent when you have New Jersey locked down?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

He said he’s not going to OV this weekend. He may change his mind but probably not.

People pay for this shit.

Yeah but "you can bet they will continue to work to try to get him on campus".  They are working the situation.  It's fluid.  Nobody works harder than Jimbo.  Saban knows that.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

"We'll see what happens as the end of the month and an expected decision draw near, but I'd call this one 50.1 to 49.9 in favor of A&M based on the intel I've received."

Translation: I don't have a fucking clue where the kid is going and neither does anyone else who will talk to me/us, but, I cannot stand the idea of him going elsewhere so I'm going to pretend and say we're in the lead by a made up margin because oh God please don't let him sign with Tennnessee

1 hour ago, Terry Silver said:

Yeah but "you can bet they will continue to work to try to get him on campus".  They are working the situation.  It's fluid.  Nobody works harder than Jimbo.  Saban knows that.

Blow for fucking blow.

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:
1 hour ago, Terry Silver said:

Blow for fucking blow. 

You can expect the recruit to be using his phone this week, and the aggy staff to also be using their phones.  This one's heating up, folks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Radical Larry said:
3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:
Is Courtney the reporter who had a mental episode and was lost for awhile? Or is that some other aggy reporter?

That’s her.

Yeah, but she was found under an overpass right next to a Chick-Fil-A, so she didn't go that crazy.

I might be a minority here, but until Grinch proves otherwise, and Riley shows a commitment to the defense in his practices, I'll take a talented kid going to OU with a greater shot of him being wasted than having one going to aTm at this juncture and hearing their bleating. Continuing the desolation of their defensive backfield is Borderline Erotic at this point. Of course if this kid ends up being a Caden Sterns for OU, then I'm a stupid fucking idiot. But for the time being, I'm erring on the side of making aggy cognitive dissonance more and more difficult. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I might be a minority here, but until Grinch proves otherwise, and Riley shows a commitment to the defense in his practices, I'll take a talented kid going to OU with a greater shot of him being wasted than having one going to aTm at this juncture and hearing their bleating. Continuing the desolation of their defensive backfield is Borderline Erotic at this point. Of course if this kid ends up being a Caden Sterns for OU, then I'm a stupid fucking idiot. But for the time being, I'm erring on the side of making aggy cognitive dissonance more and more difficult. 

I kind of agree with this. I don't really care who they hire as a DC, the way they practice isnt going to change with Riley in charge.  

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Until we start beating OU every year, I’ll still take the more talented defensive prospects going elsewhere, even if it’s to A&M

• Like 2