Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No. But that was the point I was trying to make. Who cares who hosts it, but if links to texags articles show up on The Athletic front page, then it doesn’t matter. I guess I was confused as to why you attempted to make the distinction in the first place? 

The point I was trying to (poorly) make is that if The Athletic isn't taking control of the content, they're not going to care much about the propaganda and nonsense Looch spews on the regular. It's clear they're just trying to check a box with local coverage of TAMU, and they realized there's no way they can break into a market that TexAgs seems to have on lockdown.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The point I was trying to (poorly) make is that if The Athletic isn't taking control of the content, they're not going to care much about the propaganda and nonsense Looch spews on the regular. It's clear they're just trying to check a box with local coverage of TAMU, and they realized there's no way they can break into a market that TexAgs seems to have on lockdown.

I 100% agree. But I feel like they’re also not going to give carte blanche if liucci starts tossing thickly veiled racist comments in articles, or writes hero worship bullshit. He’ll have to adjust his content or that partnership goes away, at least I would *think.* none of their other coverage is remotely as biased as what texags puts out. You don’t see venom at other programs when they’re discussing bama football leak out. Or Oregon writers saying bama is scared of them, etc. but you’d think the Athletic would already know it’s trash and have said Pass. Again, I’ve been wrong before. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I 100% agree. But I feel like they’re also not going to give carte blanche if liucci starts tossing thickly veiled racist comments in articles, or writes hero worship bullshit. He’ll have to adjust his content or that partnership goes away, at least I would *think.* none of their other coverage is remotely as biased as what texags puts out. You don’t see venom at other programs when they’re discussing bama football leak out. Or Oregon writers saying bama is scared of them, etc. but you’d think the Athletic would already know it’s trash and have said Pass. Again, I’ve been wrong before. 

They're spending other people's money like crazy and need to show growth. It's just a play to try a new angle on how to scale quickly and they'll figure out the exact partnership and journalistic ethics later.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Speaking of that, Looch has a new article: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1squttj

D_o4E7EXUAYFbJl?format=png&name=900x900

Pretty sure that I read something almost identical from chin pubes back when sumlin was their corch. I wonder if they ever get tired of thinking that big brother is in control of the national and local media, and that we always have it aimed against them. I'd think we'd turn it against someone who matters like ousux or ohio meth u.

Fundamentally aggy runs the state #farts  

Edited by Chopper

9 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I 100% agree. But I feel like they’re also not going to give carte blanche if liucci starts tossing thickly veiled racist comments in articles, or writes hero worship bullshit. He’ll have to adjust his content or that partnership goes away, at least I would *think.* none of their other coverage is remotely as biased as what texags puts out. You don’t see venom at other programs when they’re discussing bama football leak out. Or Oregon writers saying bama is scared of them, etc. but you’d think the Athletic would already know it’s trash and have said Pass

I have taken the cynical and opposite position, which is "there is no way this partnership was entered into so casually as to allow Stewart Mandel and company to be oblivious to what Texags is". He/they know and don't care or don't see it as a problem, so they're embracing it in order to get those sweet sweet Aggie clicks. That's why I cancelled my subscription. 

While we're on the subject of "I could be wrong", I could be wrong but while I don't think you'll see overt "EVERYONE IS SCARED OF A&M!!!!" articles on The All-American's front page, I also don't think anyone on the Texags.com staff is capable of writing anything that doesn't carry an obvious whiff of that kind of juvenile bullshit, so it will still permeate the site to some degree. I mean, if nothing else, Mandel's site is diminished just by the association.

I refuse to accept that Texags.com can be seen or treated as just another team-specific news organization and if Mandel wants to extend his site's patina of "we're serious about sports journalism" to a collection of shit heel rah-rah goobers like Liucci and company, then fuck him and fuck his stupid goblin face.

• Like 5

All "reporters" tweet at recruits, even recruits committed to other teams. I think most fans get confused because these people call themselves "reporters". They are not reporters. These people are at best writers of fan fiction, and at worst, boosters or intermediaries to boosters. 

• Like 3

WE DON'T CARE BOUT T.U. BUT WE'S GONNA WATCH TOM HERMANS PRESS CONFERENCE AND THEN SAY IT WAS BAD AND NO GOOD AND WORSE THAN JIMBOS

I mean if a reporter keeled over from a heart attack and Herman performed life saving CPR, the response from the kind of Aggies Stewart Mandel just hired would be "you have to ask why people are having heart attacks at Herman's press conferences and what responsibility he bears there, that never happens at Jimbo Fisher's press conferences which underscores what everyone in college football already suspects and that is that Fisher is the best and Herman is not."

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

Also: "The ongoing order of business has to do with something Fisher is as passionate about as any head coach in the college game: Recruiting.

The Aggies finished third in the national rankings last year, trailing only Alabama and Georgia."

That's just a lie. You can argue with how they compile the rankings, but they didn't say you came in third: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Once you remove the two non-qualifers they drop another spot.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nothing like a heaping helping of confirmation bias in the morning

D_pytqXW4AET4MQ?format=jpg&name=smallD_pyxFdXoAEtnJo?format=jpg&name=small

Mental regardation is prevalent in that town. I can't say I've ever taken the time to watch coaches give speeches and think "You know what? I can't see why anyone would want to play for that guy". Their obsession with men and Texas is weird and homoerotic. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

11 hours ago, Chopper said:

Pretty sure that I read something almost identical from chin pubes back when sumlin was their corch. I wonder if they ever get tired of thinking that big brother is in control of the national and local media, and that we always have it aimed against them. I'd think we'd turn it against someone who matters like ousux or ohio meth u.

Fundamentally aggy runs the state #farts  

If I had a dollar every time ESPN talked about A&M as if they were a new startup program ready to take over college football, I'd be ready to retire. They use the same narrative every 10 years or so. 

11 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

I have heard from sources close to the Alabama football program that Saban demands daily briefings on what is happening in College Station.

Why? Is he hot for a milkman?

Can't think of any other reason he would be concerned with anything else that goes on in that shithole.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

2 minutes, eh? 

might explain this list :: 

James Blackman. Sean Maguire. Deandre Francois. JJ Cosentino. De'Andre Johnson. John Franklin. Malik Henry. Everett Golson. Bailey Hockman. Jake Coker. Jarred Haggins. Clint Trickett. Zach Calzada. James Foster.

Exactly. He's had a lot more misses than hits.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

2 minutes, eh? 

might explain this list :: 

James Blackman. Sean Maguire. Deandre Francois. JJ Cosentino. De'Andre Johnson. John Franklin. Malik Henry. Everett Golson. Bailey Hockman. Jake Coker. Jarred Haggins. Clint Trickett. Zach Calzada. James Foster.

Looks like Jimbo needs to rewatch Legally Blonde: spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry Silver said:

I have heard from sources close to the Alabama football program that Saban demands daily briefings on what is happening in College Station.

He has a comfort animal present and a dedicated staff hugger to cuddle him as he hears the terrifying report.

He wakes at night sweaty and screaming, "SLEEPING GIANT! IT'S HERE! MOMMY!"

Man's a wreck, poor thing.

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

that's all the time it takes to read a star rating and watch some Hudl highlights

I'm giving Fisher the benefit of the doubt that he made no greater effort to get to know Jameis Winston before signing him. It would speak pretty poorly of his judgment of character if he did more and still signed a scumbag like that. It would speak pretty poorly of his moral fiber if he did more, knew who and what Winston was, and then signed him.

I actually watched Jimbo's presser. He's pretty good with the media in a setting like that. He's probably pretty good in mama's living room, too, as a recruiter.

His idiocy doesn't actually show up until you look at the lack of evolution in his schemes, his short-sighted long-term plans, his personnel management, his lackadaisical approach to discipline, his vetting process for his staff, and a thousand and one other details that make up the eventual success or failure of a program.

But just in terms of having media polish, and having a solid background in the basics of being a coach, yeah, he looks the part during media days. He knows the right words to use to make it sound like he's actually doing work. You don't have to scratch very far below that veneer, though, to see how lazy he was at FSU, and he doesn't seem to me like a guy who is into introspection or self-improvement.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I actually watched Jimbo's presser. He's pretty good with the media in a setting like that. He's probably pretty good in mama's living room, too, as a recruiter.

His idiocy doesn't actually show up until you look at the lack of evolution in his schemes, his short-sighted long-term plans, his personnel management, his lackadaisical approach to discipline, his vetting process for his staff, and a thousand and one other details that make up the eventual success or failure of a program.

But just in terms of having media polish, and having a solid background in the basics of being a coach, yeah, he looks the part during media days. He knows the right words to use to make it sound like he's actually doing work. You don't have to scratch very far below that veneer, though, to see how lazy he was at FSU, and he doesn't seem to me like a guy who is into introspection or self-improvement.

The juxtaposition between the vocab and level headed analysis displayed here vs the "Hurr durr Jimbo charisma circles around Herman" of the aggie comments pretty much exemplifies all you need to know about the difference between our two universities. 

10 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The juxtaposition between the vocab and level headed analysis displayed here vs the "Hurr durr Jimbo charisma circles around Herman" of the aggie comments pretty much exemplifies all you need to know about the difference between our two universities. 

No doubt. I've watched a lot of Herman press conferences. The guy does a lot of things I don't like, but the way he handles the press isn't one of them. I realize my opinion on this matter won't be unanimous, but generally speaking the guy presents himself well, has a sense of humor, and has a pretty fucking robust breakdown of info about the players on the team specifically when asked. He has decent anecdotes. I don't know how much of this is just an overreaction on my part to 3 years of Charlie Strong Durh and Derping through a press conference, not knowing the name of his own quarterback, and generally being a fucking boob. Maybe that makes Herman a breath of fresh air to me more than he's actually just adept. But watching him more or less directly answering questions, as opposed to fucking Mack Brown coachspeak is delightful to me. And I don't mind him being a prick to the media when it makes sense. 

Jimbo, meanwhile, has a lot of fucking Mack Brown to him. Bullshit non answers and aww shucks veneer covering a petty, bitch of a man. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3