Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

Billy is way too rational tonight, guess the King commitment helped him. 

Spoiler

Liucci

8:25p

Staff

AG

He was definitely a definitive A&M lean a few weeks ago but credit Texas for chipping away and getting back into position. He leaned there for the majority of his recruitment and always planned to talk his decision through with his family, and it was no secret that his mom had an affinity for Texas. That's the way it is sometimes. It's also why I was very reluctant to go 'all in' or make any emotional posts based on 'crystal ball' posts by our resident town criers. Someone get me gif of the Little House on the Prairie kids running down the hill and pipe in "Crystal balls! Crystal balls!" to it. We may need to start using that one moving forward.

Jokes aside, Broughton to Texas makes landing someone like Princely Umanmielen that much more important, not that he already wasn't prioritized by the Aggies. 

Liucci

In reply to agdoc84 • 8:35p

Staff

AG

agdoc84 said:

Did this delayed announcement have anything to do with King committing today in your opinion? If you don't wish to answer that I understand.

Nah, I really don't believe it had anything to do with that. I do think the Ags will move on and no longer waste energy on this particular recruitment now that he's committed. Reminds me a lot of Javonne in that he was a Horn lean and thought to be lock, then he was leaning A&Ms way, Texas fans and those covering him thought he was an Aggie, Texas twitter and message board mob turned on the kid and position coach Oscar Giles and now all is right in the Burnt Orange world now that the choice is Texas. 

Good stuff. 

But seriously, Vernon handled his recruitment perfectly fine and probably better than most and Texas hung in even when it looked like they were nearly out of it. Can't win them all but you can win most of them.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

holy shit, Tarp.

Reveal hidden contents

Texas head coach Tom Herman was asked yesterday at Big 12 Media Days about the possibility of renewing the Longhorns’ rivalry with Texas A&M, a game that hasn’t been played since the Aggies bolted for the greener pastures of the Southeastern Confernece.

“I would love to see the rivalry renewed” he said.

Herman was asked this question prior to the appearance of A&M boss Jimbo Fisher at the SEC Media Days and since there was plenty of time for Herman’s response to hit social media before Fisher came to the podium, it didn’t take long for Fisher to be asked about the possibility of playing the game as well. In fact, the first question of the afternoon addressed to Fisher was about the possibility of playing Texas.

“Yeah, if it's beneficial to Texas A&M” Fisher said. “I know we're scheduled out right now for ten years. If it's something that benefits Texas A&M, we'll definitely be interested in that and make those judgments as they come.”

Herman’s response was pretty enthusiastic and in his answer he gave several reasons why the game should be played (although many of them had to do with Texas’ fans). In stark contrast, Fisher’s tone was lukewarm at best and his answer was pretty succinct.

In other words, one of them thinks that they need the game and one of them thinks that they don’t.

However, it’s interesting that the coach that would like the rivalry to be resumed has the team that is supposedly “back”, is ranked in the top ten in most pre season polls, and isn’t discussing how difficult it’s upcoming 2019 schedule is. For all of the advantages that Herman has going into the fall of 2019, he seems to be looking for something to elevate his program.

In contrast, Jimbo Fisher is embracing the challenges of a difficult schedule by talking about the opportunity that lies ahead for A&M this season to play the nation’s top three programs.

Why is the outlook of the two coaches so different?

Well, while the two programs aren’t competing on the field, they are competing in recruiting off of it. One of them has a ton of momentum in that regard and one of them doesn’t.

With many prospects looking to make decisions during the summer so that they can play their senior seasons free of the burden associated with making a decision, closing strongly with commits during this time is the equivalent of doing so in December and January prior to the enactment of the early signing period. Fisher was a master of closing people down the stretch at Florida State and he secured seven commits during the late signing day in his first February in College Station. The Aggies are currently ranked 12thin the 247 Sports Composite with 15 commits. Nine of them are four and five star prospects. In addition, A&M continues to have crystal balls coming in on some highly regarded prospects such as Longview quarterback Haynes King, New York state running back Daniyel Ngata, and Tennessee offensive lineman Chris Morris.

In contrast, Texas entered the 2020 recruiting class with a lot of momentum after a ten win season and an upset of Georgia in a New Year’s Six bowl but are ranked 31st nationally in the 247 Sports Composite and have just eight commits. Not only that, they were supposed to have received a big recruiting boost from the commitment of defensive lineman Vernon Broughton who reportedly even made a recruiting video in which he committed to Texas and who planned to announce this week. Broughton was considered to be a big coup for Texas as they had issues recruiting top notch defensive linemen in recent years and it would have represented a big get in a head to head battle over the Aggies.

Instead, Broughton has delayed his announcement and the Aggies not only remain in the hunt but have a recruiting event scheduled for the end of the month in College Station that he could attend so that he can bond with A&M commits. Even if Broughton does commit to Texas, they’re going to be watching him closely anyway to see if makes that trip to Aggieland.

Herman needs something to flip the script not just right now but potentially in the future since he faces the prospect of going head to head with Fisher for years. He can’t afford to wait until the season starts to reverse the Horns’ current trends because recruiting is almost over in sense (just four of the top 15 prospects in the state of Texas remain uncommitted at this point).

Fisher is dealing from a position of strength as the better recruiter of the two and has an air of “I’ve got this”.

And if Herman doesn’t get the game with A&M and he can’t beat the LSUs and Alabamas in the near term, Fisher will continue to stockpile the talent that will enable him to beat those programs and compete at a level on the field that will leave Herman needing more than just a game with the Aggies to level things off of it.

The truth is, most Texas $9.95ers are annoying as fuck, and nowhere near as plugged in as they pretend to be (with the notable exception of TFB, who do a more than credible job), but aggy writers are next level bullshitters, who only ever take Jimbo's dick out of their mouths because they need to stick their foot in.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

holy shit, Tarp.

Reveal hidden contents

Texas head coach Tom Herman was asked yesterday at Big 12 Media Days about the possibility of renewing the Longhorns’ rivalry with Texas A&M, a game that hasn’t been played since the Aggies bolted for the greener pastures of the Southeastern Confernece.

Herman was asked this question prior to the appearance of A&M boss Jimbo Fisher at the SEC Media Days and since there was plenty of time for Herman’s response to hit social media before Fisher came to the podium, it didn’t take long for Fisher to be asked about the possibility of playing the game as well. In fact, the first question of the afternoon addressed to Fisher was about the possibility of playing Texas.

“Yeah, if it's beneficial to Texas A&M” Fisher said. “I know we're scheduled out right now for ten years. If it's something that benefits Texas A&M, we'll definitely be interested in that and make those judgments as they come.”

Herman’s response was pretty enthusiastic and in his answer he gave several reasons why the game should be played (although many of them had to do with Texas’ fans). In stark contrast, Fisher’s tone was lukewarm at best and his answer was pretty succinct.

In other words, one of them thinks that they need the game and one of them thinks that they don’t.

However, it’s interesting that the coach that would like the rivalry to be resumed has the team that is supposedly “back”, is ranked in the top ten in most pre season polls, and isn’t discussing how difficult it’s upcoming 2019 schedule is. For all of the advantages that Herman has going into the fall of 2019, he seems to be looking for something to elevate his program.

In contrast, Jimbo Fisher is embracing the challenges of a difficult schedule by talking about the opportunity that lies ahead for A&M this season to play the nation’s top three programs.

Well, while the two programs aren’t competing on the field, they are competing in recruiting off of it. One of them has a ton of momentum in that regard and one of them doesn’t.

With many prospects looking to make decisions during the summer so that they can play their senior seasons free of the burden associated with making a decision, closing strongly with commits during this time is the equivalent of doing so in December and January prior to the enactment of the early signing period. Fisher was a master of closing people down the stretch at Florida State and he secured seven commits during the late signing day in his first February in College Station. The Aggies are currently ranked 12thin the 247 Sports Composite with 15 commits. Nine of them are four and five star prospects. In addition, A&M continues to have crystal balls coming in on some highly regarded prospects such as Longview quarterback Haynes King, New York state running back Daniyel Ngata, and Tennessee offensive lineman Chris Morris.

In contrast, Texas entered the 2020 recruiting class with a lot of momentum after a ten win season and an upset of Georgia in a New Year’s Six bowl but are ranked 31st nationally in the 247 Sports Composite and have just eight commits. Not only that, they were supposed to have received a big recruiting boost from the commitment of defensive lineman Vernon Broughton who reportedly even made a recruiting video in which he committed to Texas and who planned to announce this week. Broughton was considered to be a big coup for Texas as they had issues recruiting top notch defensive linemen in recent years and it would have represented a big get in a head to head battle over the Aggies.

Instead, Broughton has delayed his announcement and the Aggies not only remain in the hunt but have a recruiting event scheduled for the end of the month in College Station that he could attend so that he can bond with A&M commits. Even if Broughton does commit to Texas, they’re going to be watching him closely anyway to see if makes that trip to Aggieland.

Herman needs something to flip the script not just right now but potentially in the future since he faces the prospect of going head to head with Fisher for years. He can’t afford to wait until the season starts to reverse the Horns’ current trends because recruiting is almost over in sense (just four of the top 15 prospects in the state of Texas remain uncommitted at this point).

Fisher is dealing from a position of strength as the better recruiter of the two and has an air of “I’ve got this”.

And if Herman doesn’t get the game with A&M and he can’t beat the LSUs and Alabamas in the near term, Fisher will continue to stockpile the talent that will enable him to beat those programs and compete at a level on the field that will leave Herman needing more than just a game with the Aggies to level things off of it.

Holy fuck...the masturbatory delusion is just peak aggy

3 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Billy is way too rational tonight, guess the King commitment helped him. 

Hide contents

Liucci

8:25p

Staff

AG

He was definitely a definitive A&M lean a few weeks ago but credit Texas for chipping away and getting back into position. He leaned there for the majority of his recruitment and always planned to talk his decision through with his family, and it was no secret that his mom had an affinity for Texas. That's the way it is sometimes. It's also why I was very reluctant to go 'all in' or make any emotional posts based on 'crystal ball' posts by our resident town criers. Someone get me gif of the Little House on the Prairie kids running down the hill and pipe in "Crystal balls! Crystal balls!" to it. We may need to start using that one moving forward.

Jokes aside, Broughton to Texas makes landing someone like Princely Umanmielen that much more important, not that he already wasn't prioritized by the Aggies. 

Liucci

In reply to agdoc84 • 8:35p

Staff

AG

agdoc84 said:

Did this delayed announcement have anything to do with King committing today in your opinion? If you don't wish to answer that I understand.

Nah, I really don't believe it had anything to do with that. I do think the Ags will move on and no longer waste energy on this particular recruitment now that he's committed. Reminds me a lot of Javonne in that he was a Horn lean and thought to be lock, then he was leaning A&Ms way, Texas fans and those covering him thought he was an Aggie, Texas twitter and message board mob turned on the kid and position coach Oscar Giles and now all is right in the Burnt Orange world now that the choice is Texas. 

Good stuff. 

But seriously, Vernon handled his recruitment perfectly fine and probably better than most and Texas hung in even when it looked like they were nearly out of it. Can't win them all but you can win most of them.

You aren't even winning most of them.

Coburn, Ojomo, Ossai, Warren, Sweat, and Broughton vs. Wright and Leal.

• Like 4

So Mond will throw a few picks against Bama and the fans will start anointing King as the savior. Half way through the season after a few losses they’ll bring King in way too early and he’ll get crushed behind their shit oline and throw a bunch of picks and crush his confidence and Jimbo will go on a tirade against him and then he’ll start looking at the portal.

It’s what they do to qbs.

2 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

So Mond will throw a few picks against Bama and the fans will start anointing King as the savior. Half way through the season after a few losses they’ll bring King in way too early and he’ll get crushed behind their shit oline and throw a bunch of picks and crush his confidence and Jimbo will go on a tirade against him and then he’ll start looking at the portal.

It’s what they do to qbs.

If they're lucky he'll be the next Jerrod Johnson. 

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I love how he wrote this earlier today and just had to put the Broughton recruitment in there, only for it to blow up in his face 6 hours later.

Getting cock slapped in the face by their own words is the aggy way. I'm pretty sure it's their longest standing, proudest turdition.

• Like 1

He was offered on May 1.  
The funniest thing I read on any message board is when fans of any school think they're different in any significant way from any other fanbase.  

You salute a dog, jizz in a jar, pretend you are a soldier (after puberty), or squeeze balls , or send money to a rival school athletic department?

Most fan bases are similar. Some are cultish (Baylor/pedo state)

4 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

King has to feel really good knowing that he was barely on aggy's radar until Mack Brown picked their pocket (again) and took aggy's only QB commit.

Changing narratives after the fact is a time-honored aggy tradition. Malik who? Jimbo decided in two minutes sometime this spring that King was his guy. Or haven't you heard? 

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Changing narratives after the fact is a time-honored aggy tradition. Malik who? Jimbo decided in two minutes sometime this spring that King was his guy. Or haven't you heard? 

Aggy recruiting experts, after Jimbo/staff backed off Hornsby and dragged their feet on offering King, who were they focused on? 

39 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Elite linemen on d and/or o are more important than anything else.  There are tons of great qbs.

Typical groupthink aggy.

Also our committed QB is ranked higher

Edited by GTNY
Can’t spell
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This is westcoastags explanation of other schools not offering King:

"he got "found" pretty late. by the time he became a mega recruit this spring, most schools had set their QB boards up and were recruiting their guys already. we didn't offer him until may and that was mostly due to the fact that we didn't like what we saw from our original guy (malik hornsby) this fall."

R i g h t !

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am not so sure we were going after wright that hard.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think it was just us fans wanting him, and the staff didn't push hard for him. Regardless, it doesn't matter as it's moot anyway. 

Nope. Staff went fully after him and would’ve happily taken him, but he was always going aggy. It just turned out fortunate that he ended up not being as great of a take later in the cycle. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. Staff went fully after him and would’ve happily taken him, but he was always going aggy. It just turned out fortunate that he ended up not being as great of a take later in the cycle. 

Ah, ok. I wanted him, but didn't know if the staff cared as much. I think he's really raw, correct? Hit or miss?

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

holy shit, Tarp.

Hide contents

imgur
/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png" />