Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

On 2/15/2019 at 11:28 AM, irishtexan said:

Yes. That's shitting on his talent. That was the post that folks were responding to. And all anyone said was that he's a good player and to pretend that he's not a special talent is aggyesque. But you interpreted that to be a "Demas fanclub". Literally no one said "Demas is better than Julio Jones and Jerry Rice, and saying he may not be a great player based on his highlights is obviously akin to raping sheep and paying for Hamm's Facebook abortion." Calm the fuck down.

Saying the guy was a good receiver, but not a number one overall prospect isn’t really a stretch. I was responding to their assertions that they would take Demas over Evans, which is laughable.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, Sejjr said:

Elite talent is always important, at any position. aggy, however, is attempting to use the recency bias from the NFL which has seen more and more RBs being treated as commodities and top talent has been taken in the 3rd or 4th round in recent years. There has been a narrative in the NFL that RBs are just not as crucial in the modern game.

aggy is failing to acknowledge that college football is not the NFL, and beyond that, the elite talent that has emerged the last couple of years in that league has somewhat altered the narrative. Ezikel Elliot, Todd Gurley, and Saquon Barkley are examples of RBs who are the most important offensive components of their respective teams.

The funny part of all of this is the fact that aggy is ONLY bleating about Evans ranking because they are insecure shitheads and they know he is not giving their shitty school the time of day.  So they will throw out superlatives like "best receiver prospect in 20 years" or "the next Julio Jones" when discussing Demas, in an obvious attempt to pump up their hopes and dreams of someday being better than the damn 'Sips.

And yes, we'd love to have Demas' talent, but considering our specific roster situation, Evans is infinitely more important a prospect for Texas than Demas.

While I agree with the general premise, I feel that Gurley may not belong in that same spot. CJA came in and did admirably in his absence. Imo there are like 5 RBs in the league that are truly special when compared to a replacement level player. Kamara, CMC, Zeke, Saquon, and DJ. Bell would be there if he comes back into the league.

But like you said the pro game is very different than the college one. The fact that RBs are interchangeable parts there doesn't mean they are here. Reality would show them that is very much not the case.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

5 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

But like you said the pro game is very different than the college one. The fact that RBs are interchangeable parts there doesn't mean they are here. Reality would show them that is very much not the case.

I've gotten caught up in this train of thought - that RBs are interchangeable for the most part. 

But go back and watch Ricky, Benson and Jamaal Charles. There is no question that the elite guys make a big difference and elevate an offense completely. Charles single-handedly won us a few games in 2007 (Nebraska, Ok St, etc) because he could do things that very few RBs could do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I've gotten caught up in this train of thought - that RBs are interchangeable for the most part. 

But go back and watch Ricky, Benson and Jamaal Charles. There is no question that the elite guys make a big difference and elevate an offense completely. Charles single-handedly won us a few games in 2007 (Nebraska, Ok St, etc) because he could do things that very few RBs could do. 

That's my point. In college, RBs are not interchangeable at all. Only in the NFL are RBs largely interchangeable 

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

That's my point. In college, RBs are not interchangeable at all. Only in the NFL are RBs largely interchangeable 

I don't watch the nfl other than to see former players but stay fairly up to date with the headlines. The rb position in terms of value is increasing and appreciated in the league imo (whether it be draft picks or building around their skillset) for elite ones.

I'm not sure if that's because of the supply being so thin or if like most skill players, they are interchangeable and abundant (non elite but still good.)

RBs are still valuable, they just aren’t valuable long term. That obviously doesn’t matter in college. Evans is going to be here for 3 years, that’s it. 

It’s a consideration in the pros though, you may not want to draft a guy in the first round who you think is going to have a relatively short shelf life. 

5 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

RBs are still valuable, they just aren’t valuable long term. That obviously doesn’t matter in college. Evans is going to be here for 3 years, that’s it. 

It’s a consideration in the pros though, you may not want to draft a guy in the first round who you think is going to have a relatively short shelf life. 

This is probably true and would fall under the "abundance and interchangeability" point I was making. 

Obviously the shelf life is drastically different for RBs in comparison to WRs which I'm sure weighs heavily in the front offices of nfl teams. Not sure (at least in extent) how much that goes into drafting elite college RBs within the first round or two. Presumably, they would last their rookie contract barring a serious injury, and that's good enough for most (if not all) nfl folks. 

4 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This is probably true and would fall under the "abundance and interchangeability" point I was making. 

Obviously the shelf life is drastically different for RBs in comparison to WRs which I'm sure weighs heavily in the front offices of nfl teams. Not sure (at least in extent) how much that goes into drafting elite college RBs within the first round or two. Presumably, they would last their rookie contract barring a serious injury, and that's good enough for most (if not all) nfl folks. 

The NFL is all about $$$.  It's pretty rare that a player becomes an immediate star - usually take a year or two to put their stamp on the game and for fans to notice.  For a lot of RBs that means they are halfway through their career by the time they become big stars.  The longer careers of QBs and WRs mean they have much greater marketing value to an NFL franchise.  Not only can they be the face of the franchise several times longer than a typical RB.  They also don't have to reinvest every 2-3 years in creating a brand for a new guy at the position.

Lower investment expense.  Longer payout period.  More time to build mindshare for your product.  It's a huge difference in ROI.

30 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Can’t wait for the aggy tears over Garth. Not SEC ready obviously

The narrative will just go from not winning in state battles on the lines to something else entirely. And if they cannot change the narrative they will simply blame the recruiting services for giving us fake momentum. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If Looch steals the "2020 in state players are overrated. JImbo is going OOS to build a national championship contender" narrative from Daddy98, I'll have even less respect for him. If that's possible. 

The new hive mind narrative. So predictable 

I don't have any access to aggy recruiting information except for what is posted here and in the free parts of Texags the few times I take a spin around there, but I have even noticed the shift to "it is a down year in Texas in 2020, especially on the OL and Jimbo is holding spots for the bluest of the blue OOS and 2021" posts. 

It's already begun and it began before the ink was dry on 2019. 

Edited by TtomTerrific
2021, not 2012

7 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

I don't have any access to aggy recruiting information except for what is posted here and in the free parts of Texags the few times I take a spin around there, but I have even noticed the shift to "it is a down year in Texas in 2020, especially on the OL and Jimbo is holding spots for the bluest of the blue OOS and 2021" posts. 

It's already begun and it began before the ink was dry on 2019. 

They try to re write  the narrative for the viewers. In actuality they aren’t even close. The day after Broughton visited the Aggy media was saying they were right back in the race and even with us. Broughton is aksed who his top schools are recently and Aggy isn’t even mentioned. It’s all bullshit. 

2 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

They try to re write  the narrative for the viewers. In actuality they aren’t even close. The day after Broughton visited the Aggy media was saying they were right back in the race and even with us. Broughton is aksed who his top schools are recently and Aggy isn’t even mentioned. It’s all bullshit. 

I kind of pity Perroni. I think there's a good recruiting reporting somewhere in there, but he writes for Aggys so he constantly has to write fan fiction. 

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

As you can see from the comments here, 2020 doesn't matter, because they are cleaning up in 2021.  Just go look at the crystal ball predictions!

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Houston-Under-Armour-Texas-AM-recruiting-news-and-notes-129207331/

Primo Daddy98 content in there. The Lindberg section is priceless.

there's nothing said we should feel bad right now with Texas A&M and 2020 recruiting outside of possibly Zack Evans. that's the one I don't think right now we are in the massive hunt that we would like to land. every other spot we are looking good. I think we want to land the best d-line in the state and we're probably going to go after Collins and Broughton and hope to land one.

Off line it's Lindberg or bust and he most likely going to Texas or Stanford although every month he delays we can get into the season to make the decision he did seem seduced by the SEC crowd. He really seems like more an Aggie in his personality but his family seem to really like the sips. this isn't a walker little situation when he's got an elitist group of parents. You know Hunt fish , drink from a keg and jerk it to Pamela Anderson in Baywatch reruns.

We really would like to land o meire to go with demas. We do want to to land a heavy hitter there so it helps us land and keep both.

O meire and his mom really like us and Craig loves o meire in addition to demas. Not likes, fuggin loves

DB is all over the map.

The kids all look the same. Jaylon was the early prize.

If u put Dwight Mac 
Lorando, Kimber, Easton, I'm not sure if we could tell you who's the best corner and neither could anybody else.

Safety is deep we're down to one guy and be picky although we may take a tweener linebacker/ safety Chris Thompson is the top guy

He's Normal is what I'm saying.

I'm trying to say that many elitest lefters inside the loop are limp wristed and cry about exploitation of women as they eat salmon and ask for the wine list.

He's a little more steak and potatoes kind of guy.

Edited by texifornia

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He really seems like more an Aggie in his personality but his family seem to really like the sips. this isn't a walker little situation when he's got an elitist group of parents. You know Hunt fish , drink from a keg and jerk it to Pamela Anderson in Baywatch reruns. 

He's Normal is what I'm saying.

giphy.gif

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

I hunt and fish and drink from a keg and beat off to baywatch reruns.  I’m also not aggy. 

Yeah, but do you Hunt fish??

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You know Hunt fish , drink from a keg and jerk it to Pamela Anderson in Baywatch reruns.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Haha 1

-Bastrop Cedar Creek four-star defensive end Alfred Collins has a mother than played basketball at Texas. However, word around the event is that he is a lot higher on Texas A&M than many realize. The Aggies were the first offer for the 6-foot-5, 248-pound junior and he really likes Terry Price. It would not be a shock to see him end up an Aggie

If we lose a Texas legacy to Aggy. Giles should be fired on the spot.