Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

17 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

So you're going off rumor then. By widely documented you mean information probably distributed by one of the many 9.95 companies that are competing against each other for the niche pool of fanatical Texas fans willing to pay for information about the football team. That information was then picked up by the others as they don't want to be viewed as being left behind and the rumors swell like crazy until people like you say well it must be true because it's coming from all sides. The benefit of fabricating sensationalist stories to maintain interest in a subscription business model is so great there's zero chance that isn't happening. 

So ask yourself if Herman was this giant asshole personality who rubs everyone raw then why did he get an extension? Surely they wouldn't do that so early and eagerly to a guy who's that bad. Also, why didn't that information come up about him from his time elsewhere before he arrived? A guy just doesn't become a giant asshole starting in his 40s. 

This is a perfect example of why I said in the other threads that the 9.95 rumor mill garbage business is a pure leech on your program's ability to maintain success. They start rumors that get circulated widely because there's so many of them in this echo chamber and it gets to people like you who believe it without questioning it. And if it gets to you then you know it's getting to recruits and their parents too. 

From all the evidence it appears most likely that CDC made a play for the white whale but fucked up by not doing it completely secretly. Once it became public knowledge Herman was completely neutered and it became impossible to go back to him with any credibility once his bosses were just caught trying to replace him. So they had no choice but to pay the money to replace him with a coach who by all measures seems to be worse in his previous stops as a head coach. A state University paying out what with the new contracts will be around $40 million in frivolous spending in one year during a pandemic when millions in the country are suffering financially. That's just horrible optics and fuck ups of the highest level. 

1. Your handle is fitting

2. not sure how you have so much rep

3. state is not paying for the buyout

4. Off topic 

5 fuck off

6 see 5

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, JPETERMAN said:

I'd be ok with keeping Ash.  Still not completely sold on him though.  Team showed improvement just by being fundamentally sound and slowing the game down for them.  But I think he needs elite talent (pass rushers and lock down corners) like he had at Ohio State in order to have a championship level defense.  Now if we get some of these names being tossed around as assistant coaches and are truly willing to play the recruiting game on par with SEC teams, then I'm even more comfortable with him running the defense going forward.   

But If we have all this money just ready to be handed out....why not offer Elko $3MM per year for 4 years.  Most thought they had to way overpay to get him (and retain him as well if I recall they already having to bump him up once).  But their ROI looks pretty darn good to me right about now.    Maybe he has no interest and you don't want to let it be known that he turned us down to stay in college station?  But I'd sure like to see what he could do paired up opposite a Sark offense as opposed to what Jimbo rolls out.

I feel like Elko is due for a head coaching job in G5. Maybe he’s like Venables though and has no interest.

1 minute ago, Fug said:

I feel like Elko is due for a head coaching job in G5. Maybe he’s like Venables though and has no interest.

He will get a P5 job somewhere IMO. Maybe fleck goes somewhere, he would be a great fit at minny. 

1 minute ago, Fug said:

naw, he wants to be a head coach

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-am-aggies/2020/12/31/texas-am-defensive-coordinator-mike-elko-says-head-coaching-aspirations-are-on-the-back-burner/

quotes from story below

Spoiler

Mike Elko aspires to be a head coach someday.

It’s just not a burning desire at this moment in his career.

---

“Yeah, I think everyone has ambitions for their future. But those things are just kind of on the back burner,” Elko said during a rare media availability this week.

“When you’re at a place like I’m at, when you’re in a program that is one of the best programs in the country, when you’re extremely happy in College Station, living in the area we live, it’s not something that you spend a lot of time focusing on, to be honest with you. I know people like to spend a lot of time focusing on it, but I’m just extremely excited and honored to be the defensive coordinator at Texas A&M.”

---

“I think I’m happy that there were games where we went out there against SEC West foes and were able to play like a championship-level defense,” Elko said. “I think that’s something we have challenged our kids all the way across the board since we’ve been here that if you want to be great in this league, in this division, there’s going to be times where we have to carry our weight heavily, and we’ve been able to do that.”

• Hook 'Em 1

total points given up is a shitty metric and thinking it is a good one shows laziness in 2020.
in 2019 Arkansas was the #110 DFEI team in the country, behind even Arkansas State. this was after getting a pretty serious adjustment for their strength of offenses played (#9 SOS basically in the country last year)
they were pretty much in line with Kansas defensively.
7mWrgjlD

the full FEI breakdown for 2020 isn't out yet but with what we do have they were the #67 DFEI team in the country.
from a yards per play they went from allowing 6.77 yards per play on defense (#117 in the country), with 35.1% of plays going for over 7 yards and 24.6% of the plays given up going for more than 10 yards (this last one is 127th of 130 teams in the rankings.) They gave up 3.25 points per drive in 2019 (125 / 130).

in 2020 they gave 5.73 yards per play (#60), with 27.8% of their plays going for 7+ yards and 11.3% of their plays going for 10+ yards (36 / 130.) They were down to 2.63 points per drive (89 / 130)
because i am sure you are going to laugh and say tl;dr here is the part worth reading for you:
they went from one of the worst defenses in the country - see the above list, again those rankings are out of 130 teams - to a decent one. from a 16th percentile defensive team last year almost entirely on the back of their opponents adjustments to the 49th percentile in 2020. this is after bringing in a new DC/system, new coach and not having a normal offseason to install said defense.

I appreciate the stats, and I guess Arky should continue to improve defensively but I will disagree strongly with your statement “Arky had a decent defense,” they did not.

I also think there are better defensive coaches out there than Odom.

Just keep Ash around - he's already under contract, players know his system, and he has some familiarity with the various big 12 offenses.
This is where I am as well. One short season of turtle ball isnt enough to taint him, and the D did improve as the season went on. Other than Baylor, not sure any team we played had a new D coordinator...and didnt really get to install that D because of the weird offseason.

7 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I appreciate the stats, and I guess Arky should continue to improve defensively but I will disagree strongly with your statement “Arky had a decent defense,” they did not.

I also think there are better defensive coaches out there than Odom.

they were a 50th percentile defense. they went from one of the worst defenses in the country to a decent one all things considered

sorry if you want to argue what the definition of the word is is.

were they a good defense? no. did i ever say they were? no.

don't use bad underlying data to make assumptions and conclusions.

don't act like you know more than you (clearly) do around here because people are going to call you out.

don't talk shit and use lazy metrics to back up your shit talking.

don't ever use the term "next gen stats" again, it makes people think you are either about 90 or don't know jack.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Username definitely checks out. Not to burst your bubble of...shit I'm not sure if it's just a run of the mill conspiracy or some flat earth fantasy because you don't understand how things work, but I'll try to keep it short. 

Herman got an extension for two reasons: He just beat GA and appeared ahead of schedule, he had leverage, and Del Conte made a fucking mistake. Humans make lots of mistakes. CDC has shown he is hardly flawless. 

I'm going to stop and laugh out loud at your notion that 995ers are a reason a program can't maintain success. now that I think about it, Mack Brown was really done in by those back-stabbing Judas and Brutus types on internet message boards, not the fact he took 4 years off coaching while cashing a fucking check and showing up to work to watch Antique Roadshow every day. Great one.

I'll ignore the rest of your fantasyworld word soup because if you can't understand that coach's new, and old contracts don't come from the coffers of a state university, period, and have no more effect on jobs and spending during a pandemic than if a billionaire alum decided to buy a new island instead of a HC at his alma mater, well, you're a fucking rock-headed idiot with dipshittery dribbling from your ears because you don't even understand some of the most basic fundamentals of how college football works. OH NOES THE OPTICS. Billionaires weren't going to pony up 50 million dollars to save AD jobs. Sorry, that's rarely how America works. But you keep rubbing your gaping pussy and whining about shit you don't understand, Wanker. 

He’s English, so gaping Fanny. 

• Haha 1

Ok, recent from Football Scoop

With Milwee set to come aboard, the new-look Texas offensive staff is set to look like this, according to FootballScoop sources and media reports:

• Kyle Flood: Offensive coordinator/offensive line
  • AJ Milwee: Quarterbacks
  • Stan Drayton: Running backs
  • Holmon Wiggins: Wide receivers

Question is, who will be an elite recruiter for the offense??

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

With Milwee set to come aboard, the new-look Texas offensive staff is set to look like this, according to FootballScoop sources and media reports:

That's the question with that staff. Obviously there's Sark himself, and Flood can do work on his unit, but none of the other three is a proven A+ recruiter. If Gideon's just STs, then he can sub in, he's been very effective at Ole Miss.

Just now, texifornia said:

That's the question with that staff. Obviously there's Sark himself, and Flood can do work on his unit, but none of the other three is a proven A+ recruiter. If Gideon's just STs, then he can sub in, he's been very effective at Ole Miss.

i will believe the WR coach move when it is announced - can't believe both of those dudes hate Saban enough to leave. Flood and Sark, I get.

Wiggins leaving Bama means he is either getting $Texas or he just hates Saban a LOT. can't believe Saban would be ok with all those offensive coaches leaving.

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No TE coach?  Is that unusual?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Doesn't Ash coach safeties?  If Gideon is coaching safeties, I would assume that means Ash is out?  If not, it could mean Gideon is just the ST coordinator. 

I'm still late to the party, but wondering how Muschamp was polled for his interest at DC *before* making the decision to keep Ash.  One sorta implies the other, unless Sark's focus is entirely directed to the quick poaches he needs to make on offense first, then to evaluate the defense, starting with the Ash relationship.

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

1) next gen stats? what is this an NFL broadcast? no you don't know what they are or you wouldn't ask in the first place what was better to use then backpeddled non stop ever since asking. also you wouldn't have used total points in the first place or started calculating points per yard or PPD - you would have just looked those up somewhere.

2) the 2020 arkansas defense was not "awful" - they were not good but he literally took them from one of the worst defenses in the country in 2019 to an "average"-ish defense (67). for comparison the Texas defense was #40 in DFEI in 2020 and 54 in 2019.

3) he literally moved them from 109 to 67. not 120 to 100, 109 to 67.

4) his defensive ranking history is here and was discussed yesterday

while he was a DC at Mizzou his teams averaged a 16 ranking overall in DFEI

5) you are a dumb motherfucker who deserves to be negged back to the stone age.

you clearly think you are some kind of intelligent human being, but then you spout off bullshit and backpeddle when called out on it. i fully expect you to say next that it was just a prank or you were intentionally trolling.

Minor thing, but Odom was DC at Memphis for 2012, 2013, and 2014.  Memphis defense improved year to year, big jump for year 3.  Dave Steckel was DC at Missouri through 2014.

Memphis Defensive FEI

2012 - 65

2013 - 64

2014 - 27

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

The football program has admitted to a major, Level 1 violation involving illegal payments of $180,000 for a no-show job to  James Alexander, the father of a former LSU offensive lineman, Vadal Alexander, who was a starting tackle and guard from 2012-15. This amounts to an illegal recruiting benefit for Alexander, who was recruited by and played for former LSU coach Les Miles.

There's that magic $180k number again. Is that gentlemen's agreement with the SEC schools on the maximum of what they will pay players? I think I remember seeing that $180k number going back to Albert Means. Waddle for $180k. Cam for $180k...

My question is $180k the magic number for the parents or the players too.  Also what type of money are the players receiving on the side to keep them happy while they are at the school?

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Got to believe at least one rainmaker of either Lupoi or Raymond is headed to TEXAS...

1 minute ago, El Hornarino said:

Minor thing, but Odom was DC at Memphis for 2012, 2013, and 2014.  Memphis defense improved year to year, big jump for year 3.  Dave Steckel was DC at Missouri through 2014.

Memphis Defensive FEI

2012 - 65

2013 - 64

2014 - 27

messed that up, my bad!

let me update it all in one place:

• *12 (Memphis DC): 65
  • *13: 64
  • *14: 27
  • *15 (Mizzou DC): 8
  • 16 (Mizzou HC): 90
  • 17: 88
  • 18: 25
  • 19: 34
  • *20 (Arkansas DC): 63 (were 110 in 2019)
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

i will believe the WR coach move when it is announced - can't believe both of those dudes hate Saban enough to leave. Flood and Sark, I get.

Wiggins leaving Bama means he is either getting $Texas or he just hates Saban a LOT. can't believe Saban would be ok with all those offensive coaches leaving.

Wonder how valuable Wiggins really is to Saban though??