Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

18 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Lmao, lecturing me on stat terminology, just how big a nerd are you?

Let’s do an exercise using your next gen, sorry, I mean advanced analytics, and solve this query.

Take the width of your vagina, divide that by the circumference of your mouth and now give us the Skill-Interactive Earned Run Average of how many trains get run on you at truck stops every Saturday night.

no one is shocked that this is the best response you could come up with...

Primary School GIF by @ICT_MrP

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As I'm still in optimist mode, I love the Gideon hire if only because I'm imagining that he's full of fire and a deep desire to bring a national championship to Texas in order to help erase the memory of the drop. So I'll just go ahead and assume that he's going to work his ass off to do so.

And when he does contribute to a Texas national championship his next Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity is on me.

Fuck, we are going to have to watch some fucked up network play that god damn video next season aren’t we

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Zach Arnett has LB/DC coaching experience...

Bama has 5 on Offense, 5 on Defense  (Special Teams is TE Coach)

Defense

• DC/ILB
  • Assoc DC/Safeties
  • OLB
  • AHC/DL
  • CB

So if Sark only hires 1 DL assistant, and keeps Hutzler at LB Coach, Gideon could definitely help wherever needed on defense...

I think this is the makeup

HC/De-facto OC/Playcaller

Offense: QB, OL, WR, TE, RB

Defense: DL, LB, DC, Secondary

ST: 1

Hmm, all that earmarked money has to be going somewhere, and it won't be to Millwee and Gideon.

Everyone will be getting paid above market because Texas will make a point to do so. Cause we get off on that shit. I think you’ll probably be surprised at Milwee’s salary in particular. He turned town a coordinator spot. He’s going to be making pretty damn good money as a position coach with titular coordinator responsibility, even if it’s in name only.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As I'm still in optimist mode, I love the Gideon hire if only because I'm imagining that he's full of fire and a deep desire to bring a national championship to Texas in order to help erase the memory of the drop. So I'll just go ahead and assume that he's going to work his ass off to do so.

And when he does contribute to a Texas national championship his next Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity is on me.

That's IHOP and it's a good way to piss Gideon off. :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think this is the makeup

HC/De-facto OC/Playcaller

Offense: QB, OL, WR, TE, RB

Defense: DL, LB, DC, Secondary

ST: 1

That's my concern with hiring Gideon I guess if his main job is ST.  He's got to take a larger role in coaching the DBs to a pretty meaningful extent I think.  Hopefully he's ready.  Otherwise this seems unbalanced again which isn't optimal.

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And when he does contribute to a Texas national championship his next Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity is on me.

Sir, this is a Denny's.

90F406D4-7A1E-4D4C-9083-F6D96AC27C77.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

My question is $180k the magic number for the parents or the players too.  Also what type of money are the players receiving on the side to keep them happy while they are at the school?

Waddle was $80k. Bought by Tosh Lupoi. I posted that total on Shaggy and later on Surly when the subject came up on the recruiting board. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, JPETERMAN said:

That's my concern with hiring Gideon I guess if his main job is ST.  He's got to take a larger role in coaching the DBs to a pretty meaningful extent I think.  Hopefully he's ready.  Otherwise this seems unbalanced again which isn't optimal.

I believe Sark is respected for his eye when it comes to young coaching talent. I guess we’ll see

37 minutes ago, Highbp said:

Running a 3-3-5 base would be a moronic move by Sark. Unless we bring in Venables who has an outstanding reputation (and years of film and experience to prove it), that would be stupid. I think Arnett is a good coach, and I admit I haven’t watched a ton of his teams mainly just SDSU a bit when he was there, but him saying he is willing to run a different scheme based off players does not have the same weight as being successful running different schemes. Now he may prove that down the road, but he hasn’t yet. It is a liability in recruiting, no elite d lineman want to run it, and no elite college programs run it (Clemson doesnt count for many reasons (flexbility, reputation, film, recruiting, Venables). We have just seen (excluding all the other good teams that successfully run it each year) with Ash the benefits of a pass rush with 4 down (idc if 3 DL and 1 LB or 4 DL) and that was without an offseason and only one year of film. The game is won in the trenches and if we can recruit elite lineman which we should be able to, that is my opinion for the best way forward. 3-3-5 may win you some games, but it ain’t the path to an elite team. Ash, Odom, Muschamp are all amazing options IMO. 

This is an interesting take because the two best teams in the Big 12 this past season base out of a 3-3-5, now Orlando's version of the 3-3-5 was stupid because he would blitz from 15 yards out to create pressure, but you can actually rush the passer with DE's in a 3 down look, if you don't put them inside the GT.

I have a feeling a DL of Collins/Broughton-Coburn/Sweat-Ojomo/Jones would be pretty good, especially if the DL coach could teach actual pass rush moves.

Not to mention for all the bluster of switching to a 4 DL scheme, the Jack position in Ash's defense was really a OLB as Ossai had both pass rushing and coverage duties.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Waddle was $80k. Bought by Tosh Lupoi. I posted that total on Shaggy and later on Surly when the subject came up on the recruiting board. 

Yup. heard something similar. Not numbers for him exactly, just that $50k is the going rate for top talent they feel they need. Waddle got more and felt flattered by that. 

5 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Why does he have to take a larger role? His main focus be special teams and assist where needed and learn. He's arguably one of the best special team coaches in the country. He'd have the chance to learn from great position coaches and the ins and outs of big time college recruiting. This is a great spot for him to grow and develop as an all around coach.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Everyone will be getting paid above market because Texas will make a point to do so. Cause we get off on that shit. I think you’ll probably be surprised at Milwee’s salary in particular. He turned town a coordinator spot. He’s going to be making pretty damn good money as a position coach with titular coordinator responsibility, even if it’s in name only.

Not arguing, but honest question, how much could the OC position really pay at Arkansas State? Butch Jones is only making $825K as the HC. Random comparison, but this link has Corey Dennis at 300K annual as the QB coach:

https://abc6onyourside.com/sports/the-football-fever/ohio-state-names-assistant-coaches-salaries-for-2020-season#:~:text=Corey Dennis%2C Quarterbacks – Term%3A,Salary%3A %24550%2C000%3B Increase%3A %24190%2C000

If Milwee is around there that isn't a huge number that would cut into a significant coaches pool but it's also probably a bump for where Milwee was going to be at Ark State I would think.

Fuckin rookies...

Here is their wedding website https://www.theknot.com/us/emily-daniels-and-zach-arnett-jun-2016

I have COVID. Just knocked off from work (home) to lay on the couch. I clicked on a 4+ year old wedding picture site of people that I don’t even know who they are. 15 minutes later, I’m back.

So far 2021 is just as fucked up as 2020 ever thought of being.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At $80K, I'd say Waddle was a great value. He is a beast. I hope Lupoi can work some bags to get us back into the game for elite offensive talent like him. 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Why does he have to take a larger role? His main focus be special teams and assist where needed and learn. He's arguably one of the best special team coaches in the country. He'd have the chance to learn from great position coaches and the ins and outs of big time college recruiting. This is a great spot for him to grow and develop as an all around coach.

It'd be great for Gideon for sure from an exposure standpoint and learning aspect.  And our Special teams would no doubt be improved.  But I don't want a team going up against Lincoln Riley offense being understaffed with only 4 (or 4 1/2) full time coaches dedicated to coaching defense on the practice field.  That breakout has 5 full time offensive coaches, plus the head-coach calling plays.  And only 4 full time defensive coaches.  And one special teams coach.    I mean if Gideon is good enough to focus on special teams, and take Safeties, all while recruiting at a high level then it works.  But that seems a little bit ambitious to put on his plate at this point in time to be honest and I'd expect some growing pains.  Maybe I'm wrong and he can handle it.   Losing Banks really hurt because he'd have run special teams from the offensive side of the ball.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is an interesting take because the two best teams in the Big 12 this past season base out of a 3-3-5, now Orlando's version of the 3-3-5 was stupid because he would blitz from 15 yards out to create pressure, but you can actually rush the passer with DE's in a 3 down look, if you don't put them inside the GT.

I have a feeling a DL of Collins/Broughton-Coburn/Sweat-Ojomo/Jones would be pretty good, especially if the DL coach could teach actual pass rush moves.

Not to mention for all the bluster of switching to a 4 DL scheme, the Jack position in Ash's defense was really a OLB as Ossai had both pass rushing and coverage duties.

Yes. The modern 3–3-5 is the way football is moving to deal with spread type offenses. This isn’t because schemes are necessarily different it just the big guys closer to the line are much more athletically quick and DB have been able to keep speed carrying more weight in the past 15 years. 

Also that’s just the base. It has plenty of options to showcase LB speed rushers, combo zone and man converges as well as well as giving more presence on the edge and flat.  Additionally it the beat scheme to highlight your best players and feed plays toward them. 
It’s a pain for opposing offenses to plan for because it’s so flexible. 

the key drawback is personnel. You have to have guys who can make plays on the field. I think we could make that transition with who we have right now.

A well called and executed 3-3-5 is a lot of fun to watch and can actually be very strong against the run. 

From Nahlin:

Maybe Gideon helped Arnett fix a flat in rural Mississippi and a friendship was struck up. That’s an odd hire barring unless a DC signed off on him.

Pete Carroll recommended his linebacker coach, John Glenn, highly. Glenn was QC at UW when Sarkisian was HC.

I don’t know if he’s a serious candidate but it would probably put @malaise over the top.

1 minute ago, JPETERMAN said:

It'd be great for Gideon for sure from an exposure standpoint and learning aspect.  And our Special teams would no doubt be improved.  But I don't want a team going up against Lincoln Riley offense being understaffed with only 4 (or 4 1/2) full time coaches dedicated to coaching defense on the practice field.  That breakout has 5 full time offensive coaches, plus the head-coach calling plays.  And only 4 full time defensive coaches.  And one special teams coach.    I mean if Gideon is good enough to focus on special teams, and take Safeties, all while recruiting at a high level then it works.  But that seems a little bit ambitious to put on his plate at this point in time to be honest and I'd expect some growing pains.  Maybe I'm wrong and he can handle it.   Losing Banks really hurt because he'd have run special teams from the offensive side of the ball.

Didn't affect LSU last year as they have a dedicated ST's coordinator and 4 defensive coaches. Of course, the also base out a 3 man front, but what the fuck were they thinking?

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

https://247sports.com/Coach/Blake-Gideon-4064/AllTimeRecruits/

I think his soul focus will be special teams and probably safeties/nickel?

Is that something you can focus? He dropped an easy INT once that I wish he would have used his soul focus technique to catch the mother fucker. 

10 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I have COVID. Just knocked off from work (home) to lay on the couch. I clicked on a 4+ year old wedding picture site of people that I don’t even know who they are. 15 minutes later, I’m back.

So far 2021 is just as fucked up as 2020 ever thought of being.

This is a good boy.  I'm in.

image.thumb.png.4f5792cf5455ae63f3c9b30e2b5453a3.png

• Hook 'Em 1