Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

12 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Fucking terrible. The guy’s a sociopath. 

Hamm dragged a Sigma Nu pledge around by the scrotum with the claw of a hammer, allegedly, for those who are lost. 

I did not know this, wow! Figured yall were talking about Taylor Hamm and the nickname for his mouth was claw hammer

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/crime/article/Mad-Men-star-Jon-Hamm-involved-in-1990-hazing-6189477.php

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Mileslong said:

I haven’t researched his career but last year his Arky defense finished 106th in total defense. If that’s chicken salad then it tastes like crap.

We finished 62nd, I don’t know what Arky drastically improved from but 106th sucks, unless your league has 1000 teams in it...

Total defense is a shitty, shitty stat to use.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

I haven’t researched his career but last year his Arky defense finished 106th in total defense. If that’s chicken salad then it tastes like crap.

We finished 62nd, I don’t know what Arky drastically improved from but 106th sucks, unless your league has 1000 teams in it...

While there's plenty of ways to refute that, the fun part is no one has to! We're on to Arnett.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

What would be a better stat to use, scoring, yards per game, opposing TDs? Because if it’s the latter then Arky gave up 43 TDs and we gave up 34.

If you're not using an adjusted state, then yard per play or points per play work the best 

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach

Spoiler

PDATED 12:48 PM - I've talked with two sources who indicated Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash is under strong consideration to remain at Texas. From what we know, Sarkisian has talked with several assistants but Ash isn't one of them yet. His fate is still up in the air, but there's starting to be more of a feeling that Barry Odom sticks with Arkansas. Arizona is also targeting Ash should he be released from Texas, but nothing has been decided to our knowledge. Ash would provide staff continuity and lessen the finanical strain of buying out so many assistants. We will continue to monitor this situation as none of the defensive staff have been told for sure what their fate is.

We also continue to hear increasing buzz on Blake Gideon. The former Leander prospect and Texas safety has been making his name in coaching circles since his playing days ended. Gideon is known most for superb special teams coaching, and he's had experience coaching safeties and nickelback

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Roach

Hide contents

PDATED 12:48 PM - I've talked with two sources who indicated Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash is under strong consideration to remain at Texas. From what we know, Sarkisian has talked with several assistants but Ash isn't one of them yet. His fate is still up in the air, but there's starting to be more of a feeling that Barry Odom sticks with Arkansas. Arizona is also targeting Ash should he be released from Texas, but nothing has been decided to our knowledge. Ash would provide staff continuity and lessen the finanical strain of buying out so many assistants. We will continue to monitor this situation as none of the defensive staff have been told for sure what their fate is.

We also continue to hear increasing buzz on Blake Gideon. The former Leander prospect and Texas safety has been making his name in coaching circles since his playing days ended. Gideon is known most for superb special teams coaching, and he's had experience coaching safeties and nickelback

I missed the days of our stellar special teams, all the blocks and the fake punts and fgs. Mack learned that lesson well after the debacle game and made us elite there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Total defense is a shitty, shitty stat to use.

bad news here, it hasn't gotten any better since you left.

these morons love using total points, total yards, total TDs given up and hate anything advanced or even per drive stats like what we get from ksu_fan for the b12.

this is an uphill battle and will continue to be unfortunately.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, alphahorn said:

I missed the days of our stellar special teams, all the blocks and the fake punts and fgs. Mack learned that lesson well after the debacle game and made us elite there. 

There have been plenty of ST blocks during the past decade. Usually for the other team, but they were there bro

• Haha 1

bad news here, it hasn't gotten any better since you left.
these morons love using total points, total yards, total TDs given up and hate anything advanced or even per drive stats like what we get from ksu_fan for the b12.
this is an uphill battle and will continue to be unfortunately.

Ok Vince, why don’t you break it down for us morons how good Arky’s defense was. I will okay close attention to how “points given up” doesn’t matter

Arnett has done well, but as DC, he has

- 2 years at SD state

- 1 year at Miss. State

- Concerned that that is too little experience, esp. at the P5 level. 

- And not sure how many high level asst. coaches would come work for him.

- Given Sarkisian's own background on offense, this could be his most important hire.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well Sarkisian, Flood, and Wiggins all came to Bama in the same offseason, and Banks was there 1 year prior. Saban's staffs are used to turnover. When you hire competent assistants that kick ass at their jobs, they aren't staying for long.

Like Todd Orlando? /ducks

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

He gave punt block to Akina, and Akina taught Gideon. I’d love to get Gideon back to coach ST. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Not sure blaming a coach for having trouble recruiting to MSU is warranted. As LSU coach Skip Bertman said, "Starkville is an Indian word for trailer park." Along with, "Every time I go to Starkville, I ask for a room without a view." 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

NAHLIN:  We had heard Odom was set to talk or interview with Texas today.  It would also imply he wasn’t offered the job.  We’re watching Zach Arnett from Mississippi State.

Wonder if Arky also stepped up with a raise for Odom?   May have never been a true candidate at TEXAS -- strictly a leak by his agent to get Odom a raise from Razorbacks.

Isn't the Agent for Sark also Odom's agent too??

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

So did Odoms, and probably Ash's. You don't need your DC to be a stud recruiter if you have others. 

Chris Ash runs circles around the other two but has also been at tOSU / Texas, so naturally will have the attention of higher rated recruits.