Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

This is also why I advocated for a guy like Sark over Fickell.  We have no idea how Fickell would've done at a big time program.  Sark knows what it takes.

Fickell went 6-6 as interim coach at Ohio State. Regardless of his improvement since then, it is hard to do with all that talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

This is also why I advocated for a guy like Sark over Fickell.  We have no idea how Fickell would've done at a big time program.  Sark knows what it takes.

That's what I like as well. Sark has been in over his head (his words), knows what "doesn't" work and worked under Saban to see how the best makes it work.  I think Sark has all the knowledge and pieces now to make it work... just a matter of putting it into action.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tom's legacy at Texas will be united the big money, president of the university, and BoR like no other coach has. For that we thank you for being a miserable know it all prick.

he got the BB's back in the box, just not the way he expected to or wanted to.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think whatever Urban told them in this process as someone mentioned earlier humbled and educated some of the powers at Texas in regards to staff(assistants/support), facilities, and etc.

I hope so.

Rod B has been less than enthusiastic about this hire - one of the reasons being that its hard to replicate that Alabama success just because no one else has the numbers or talent on their support staff.

I think Herman wanted to do that - I just don't know that he hired the right people.  Hopefully Sark has the knowledge and the checkbook he needs.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I hope so.

Rod B has been less than enthusiastic about this hire - one of the reasons being that its hard to replicate that Alabama success just because no one else has the numbers or talent on their support staff.

I think Herman wanted to do that - I just don't know that he hired the right people.  Hopefully Sark has the knowledge and the checkbook he needs.

I couldn't get through the last blitz pod.. between Rod doing his best Madd Rappa impersonation and Matt not letting Jeff speak.. too hard to listen to.  But if feels like Rod has something against Sark, maybe he would be like this with any hire outside Urbs or his personal favorite Campbell..but he seems to really go after Sark.. Wonder if it has something to do with Sark succeeding his BFF in ATL when Quinn said he expected the offense to not miss a beat?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I hope so.

Look everyone *wants* to win like Bama - you just can’t do it with Tim Beck plus an entire coaching staff from the University of Houston. Sark and UT seem set on hiring the best possible staff. That’s already a major difference 

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I hope so.

Seems like Herm had the right ideas, and grand plans, but just the execution wasn't there?

Just now, Thiefery said:

I couldn't get through the last blitz pod.. between Rod doing his best Madd Rappa impersonation and Matt not letting Jeff speak.. too hard to listen to.  But if feels like Rod has something against Sark, maybe he would be like this with any hire outside Urbs or his personal favorite Campbell..but he seems to really go after Sark.. Wonder if it has something to do with Sark succeeding his BFF in ATL when Quinn said he expected the offense to not miss a beat?

I can normally ignore that Butler kid without too much issue - but halfway through that podcast I wanted to drive to Austin and beat him over the head with a hammer.

Jeff needs a mute button so he can shut that guy up.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I can normally ignore that Butler kid without too much issue - but halfway through that podcast I wanted to drive to Austin and beat him over the head with a hammer.

Jeff needs a mute button so he can shut that guy up.

I stopped listening to it too because of that douche waffle. Just horrible.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

So I know CFB is all cut-throat and stuff, but is there not an unwritten rule that you don't take large chunks of the staff with you when you depart? It's not that I don't like the Alabama assistants, but it seems really strange that there's no anti-poaching clauses. Maybe that's what you guys were referring to with the special titles? No lateral poaching?

That's a contract thing. Typically done by smaller schools to prevent bigger schools from money whipping someone for a lateral move.  My brief googling shows that Bama, along with Texas and many other "Blue bloods" doesn't typically include this in contracts.

Also, it seems pretty typical when someone leaves bama for a HC gig they tend to take a few coaches with them.

15 minutes ago, Rokotosh said:

Has there been any more noise on  S&C coach? Since there is a lack of noise I'm wondering if it is a similar situation as the Offensive staff and Sark has identified and a verbal yes from someone already.

Been real quiet on S&C. I'm hoping he can poach one of the two Alabama guys.  Alabama made the right switch after Cochran left to speed / strength / injury prevention model rather than pure strength & conditioning.  I'm assuming Sark will also retain that model, especially if he happens to look over our injury lists past few seasons.  I also like the two person division of duties as think is better setup for long term success rather than relying on one guy.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

99% sure Lange and the other social media guys are employees of the athletic department as a whole, not necessarily just the football program. Hope they stick around.

Seems like they’re still posting stuff? The graphics of Sark getting hired were identical to past coaching hire graphics.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

image.thumb.png.e7ce0c6a4d925148febdbe87cf9cfa06.png

FWIW Gerry Hamilton liked my reply about Raymond wanting out due to the investigation...sidenote like my new profile picture on IT?

The football program has admitted to a major, Level 1 violation involving illegal payments of $180,000 for a no-show job to  James Alexander, the father of a former LSU offensive lineman, Vadal Alexander, who was a starting tackle and guard from 2012-15. This amounts to an illegal recruiting benefit for Alexander, who was recruited by and played for former LSU coach Les Miles.

There's that magic $180k number again. Is that gentlemen's agreement with the SEC schools on the maximum of what they will pay players? I think I remember seeing that $180k number going back to Albert Means. Waddle for $180k. Cam for $180k...

• Hook 'Em 3

I suspect Rod and the AAS guys have the perception (somewhat true) that Herman was fired in some measure for the Eyes screwup lasting into the season and that might be slightly triggering to them.  Perception might be that Herman was fired partly for standing up for his black players.  Reality might be that he got fired partly for not getting it settled in the summer.

It might be making it hard for them to be objective about Sarkisian going forward.

25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's just a gamble regardless.  There is no magic way other than having the greatest coaches fall in your lap a la Meyer/Saban.  

Yeah but these guys put themselves behind the 8 ball by sticking with their old staffs. That's how you wind up with guys like Meh.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

The football program has admitted to a major, Level 1 violation involving illegal payments of $180,000 for a no-show job to  James Alexander, the father of a former LSU offensive lineman, Vadal Alexander, who was a starting tackle and guard from 2012-15. This amounts to an illegal recruiting benefit for Alexander, who was recruited by and played for former LSU coach Les Miles.

There's that magic $180k number again. Is that gentlemen's agreement with the SEC schools on the maximum of what they will pay players? I think I remember seeing that $180k number going back to Albert Means. Waddle for $180k. Cam for $180k...

They gave themselves a post-season ban this year, quite a harsh punishment.  No need for Raymond to worry about sanctions, sure this ban is also sufficient for their Title IX violations too.

Besides that, who here can honestly say they've never embezzled half a million dollars from a children's hospital to buy recruits?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

HOLY SHIT YES. I love the blitz typically and big Rod B fan but he acted like Stephen A Smith or Skip Bayless trying to be all hot take dude or like Sark fucked his mom or something

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Can Curt Flood recruit? 

Curt Flood??

Helluva baseball player... famous for causing free agency to occur in professional baseball

Supreme Court denied Curt Flood, but fight leads to baseball free agency 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/07/on-this-date-april-7-supreme-court-denied-curt-flood-but-fight-leads-to-baseball-free-agency/

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

personally, i love all prison mike references

the office television GIF

the office television GIF

Ya I changed it because I post their shit here and didnt want to be too obvious and in your face with it(although the usernames are the same lol). I wont change my prison mike avatar here unless someone can photoshop a burnt orange bandana on to Prison Mike cause I cant do that shit haha

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Looks like Wiggins will be the guy at WR, but in case he wants to stick at Bama it looks like Tee Martin may be out of a job soon. Guess the Tennessee admin is trying to find  dirt on Pruitt so they can fire him for cause. 

Pretty sure his contract is up this year anyway

2 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Besides that, who here can honestly say they've never embezzled half a million dollars from a children's hospital to buy recruits?

Those sick kids are fans, too. Buying good players helped the team, so it made them happy. You want those kids to be happy, don't you? Have a heart. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Ya I changed it because I post their shit here and didnt want to be too obvious and in your face with it(although the usernames are the same lol). I wont change my prison mike avatar here unless someone can photoshop a burnt orange bandana on to Prison Mike cause I cant do that shit haha

sounds like a job for fiverr

https://www.fiverr.com/magicthe24h/professional-change-a-color-for-any-object-in-6h

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

Is Tee Martin still a terror on the recruiting path?  He was a beast back in the day.  But seems like some of his polish has maybe worn off.  I think I read he and Pruitt had a falling out over a leak to the media.  And maybe he's kind of mailed it in.  Personally, give me the TCU WR coach, the guy from Kansas, or the guy from USC before Tee Martin.  I think WR coach is probably the easiest coaching position to fill too.  If you aren't dumb and worried only about alignment that is.  

In any case, I think if there is one coach on the team I'd rather get a guy that is a better coach than a recruiter, it'd be at the WR spot.  Now he truly has to be a good coach though, meaning an upgrade from Coleman who was seen as a good coach (but maybe only in comparison to Meh).  But if the Bama WR coach wants to come here, giddy up.  High School WRs grow on trees and they are plentiful.  You don't have to get the #1 or #2 wr in the country every year.  You can find guys that can be successful.  And if we can come close to replicating the Bama offense, and win, and start to get guys drafted, kids will want to come even if the wr coach isn't exactly a rainmaker.  Plus, if we truly are going to start playing the game, that's what is truly going to give us a better shot at the #1 and #2 type wr recruits more than a personable wr coach.

I am pumped for Flood as Oline coach.  Finally a quality oline coach.  Course I thought the same when Wickline came here, but apparently Flood actually likes to recruit--The Brocks mentioned him and his coaching as a big part of the Bama appeal.  Not sure if that is just yacking or not but it's there.

I am not sweating S&C hire.  Sark had a good one by all accounts at both UW and USC and I can't imagine he isn't aware of the importance after being around Carol and Saban.

On the Muschamp front---Didn't Football Scoop or TFB say they weren't buying the Muschamp is out talk and think it is just negotiating between Will and Texas at the moment?  The whole floating Derek Mason's name was referred to as leverage in negotiations correct? I believe they said Mason's side doesn't believe Texas will actually offer him and that they are just negotiating with their real target?

I like Muschamp as a DC.....he was a little too bend but don't break against tech compared to how some others attacked the spread but I'd still take him back.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Not to quibble, but I remember Albert Means at 80k. Cam Newton was 200k, I thought, and Waddle was definitely 200k. I'm not sure there's a magic ceiling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Is Tee Martin still a terror on the recruiting path?  He was a beast back in the day.  But seems like some of his polish has maybe worn off.  I think I read he and Pruitt had a falling out over a leak to the media.  And maybe he's kind of mailed it in.  Personally, give me the TCU WR coach, the guy from Kansas, or the guy from USC before Tee Martin.  I think WR coach is probably the easiest coaching position to fill too.  If you aren't dumb and worried only about alignment that is.  

In any case, I think if there is one coach on the team I'd rather get a guy that is a better coach than a recruiter, it'd be at the WR spot.  Now he truly has to be a good coach though, meaning an upgrade from Coleman who was seen as a good coach (but maybe only in comparison to Meh).  But if the Bama WR coach wants to come here, giddy up.  High School WRs grow on trees and they are plentiful.  You don't have to get the #1 or #2 wr in the country every year.  You can find guys that can be successful.  And if we can come close to replicating the Bama offense, and win, and start to get guys drafted, kids will want to come even if the wr coach isn't exactly a rainmaker.  Plus, if we truly are going to start playing the game, that's what is truly going to give us a better shot at the #1 and #2 type wr recruits more than a personable wr coach.

People keep talking about Sark having a sobriety clause.....if we bring in Tee there better be a baby mama clause by all accounts.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

RB or TE(if it happens to be separate) is usually the easiest to fill and you want a plus recruiter at those positions.  WR given the complexity of and emphasis on passing offenses the WR coach, IMO, needs to know how to teach.

23 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

HOLY SHIT YES. I love the blitz typically and big Rod B fan but he acted like Stephen A Smith or Skip Bayless trying to be all hot take dude or like Sark fucked his mom or something

Yeah, it almost seems like Manny Acho recently told Rod Babers to become more controversial and draw more attention to help his career.

Kinda like the former HTown radio guy now on FS1... Nick Wright

Nick-Wright-Headshot_727x727-480x480.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

image.thumb.png.e7ce0c6a4d925148febdbe87cf9cfa06.png

FWIW Gerry Hamilton liked my reply about Raymond wanting out due to the investigation...sidenote like my new profile picture on IT?

John Candy No GIF - JohnCandy No Nope - Discover & Share GIFs

Fuck Fat Ketch...but oatmeal creampies are pretty good.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Not to quibble, but I remember Albert Means at 80k. Cam Newton was 200k, I thought, and Waddle was definitely 200k. I'm not sure there's a magic ceiling. 

Maybe there is a salary cap per year, and not per player?  Kind of like how in some sports a player can get a 1/2 scholarship.  Nah, nevermind.  That wouldn't explain Georgia.

Just now, JPETERMAN said:

i mean on his 2020 commit list @ 247, he is listed as the primary or secondary on 3 top 200 dudes (and a fourth that was #209)

2019: 2 top 200 dudes but only 3 overall? only showing primary?

2018: 3 top 155 dudes but only 3 overall? only showing primary?

2017: 6 top 150 players including 2 5*

2016: 7 top 150 players including 2 5*

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, it almost seems like Manny Acho recently told Rod Babers to become more controversial and draw more attention to help his career.

Kinda like the former HTown radio guy now on FS1... Nick Wright

Nick-Wright-Headshot_727x727-480x480.png

EJ Holland finally learned how to dress like an adult.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I suspect Rod and the AAS guys have the perception (somewhat true) that Herman was fired in some measure for the Eyes screwup lasting into the season and that might be slightly triggering to them.  Perception might be that Herman was fired partly for standing up for his black players.  Reality might be that he got fired partly for not getting it settled in the summer.

It might be making it hard for them to be objective about Sarkisian going forward.

The BMDs are crusty white southern olds. There’s almost certainly some element of racial resentment in that demographic when it comes to the whole eyes thing, even if passive. Of course, there’s also resentment of Herman directly because he’s a prick. But the entire situation is ultimately irrelevant as to why Herman was fired.

If Texas had a B12 title, CFP berth, and top ten class, Herman could’ve worn a Black Lives Matter t shirt on the sidelines and publicly campaigned to scrap the Eyes of Texas, and his job security wouldn’t have changed at all.

And the secondary reason for his firing wouldn’t be his response to the eyes thing or whatever else. It’d be him being a noted asshole who made no allies and built exactly zero relationships with anyone who would go to bat for him in a situation like the one he found himself in this year. If he was less of a prick, maybe people would be more willing to cut him some slack for performance in a weird year and wouldn’t look to him as a scapegoat for the eyes issue. But he wasn’t and here we are.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2