Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nothing derails a thread like the Eyes coming up.

Anyway, in the recruiting thread Sark had a call to work to hold on to JD Coffey, and on it was Carrington, Drayton, and Chang, so we might be holding on to more of the support staff than originally thought.

Chang is for sure moving on tho, no?

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Man if these are issues the AD/BMDs are gonna freak when they do any amount of background on Sark...

Or, it might just put into perspective the enormity of Tom’s cockfacedness

Tom burned bridges at a truly incredible rate, and not by stepping on toes, more like kicking in the balls.  I’m no Mr. Insider, but everyone hated him and it’s quite frankly impressive to get that group to agree on anything

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Keeping Chang and Carrington as a team would be a big win for us, imo. Recruiting visits and evaluations and relationships were always a strong point. Just not from Herman and his assistant coaches. 

IT reported yesterday that Chang being retained was 'not likely'.  Chang being the intermediary on the Coffey calls provides me a little bit of optimism that maybe Sark does decide to retain him.

5 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Tom burned bridges at a truly incredible rate, and not by stepping on toes, more like kicking in the balls.  I’m no Mr. Insider, but everyone hated him and it’s quite frankly impressive to get that group to agree on anything

Agreed...even more disturbing is the total lack of support Herman has received from current and former players. In fact, most of the chatter has been more of a "good riddance" type. This is a common occurrence with people who have no humility, and spend a tremendous amount of effort in trying to be an asshole in general.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Tom's legacy at Texas will be united the big money, president of the university, and BoR like no other coach has. For that we thank you for being a miserable know it all prick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gerry in response to a question about Tosh and Raymond both needing the Co-DC title:

If Raymond does leave LSU you know shit is bad down there right now. I don't think it would need a co-dc title either but he'll probably get a title such as passing game coordinator or something like that.

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Was there any reason we were expecting to here more solid info on Wednesday? I would think the announcements would start rolling fast after the National Championship but I can't really see a reason he'd want to upset the status quo at Bama till after that.

think the game might be postponed.. hearing tosu has some positive tests

• Drool 2

It's looking more and more like Sark had put together the offensive staff at Bama.  If he's getting all of those guys to follow him, it means they believe in his system and they believe that their success is tied with Sark.  That is a very positive sign.  I also like that the names mentioned on offense have all worked together recently and this should be easy for Sark to implement his offense at Texas when he doesn't to take time to teach the coaches.

On defense, this is where it gets a bit tricky.  Not sure how Bo Davis, Raymond, Lupoi will work together.  Those guys are badass recruiters.  Honestly I saw we get those 3 and let Ash and Huztler stay on board and let those two coordinate the defense.  Lupoi can be Co-DC.  Huztler can be schematic coordinator or whatever title you want to create.  I do think continuity is important.  We've seen Ash make progress and I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to let him build on that and surround him with elite recruiters.  Keep the defense simple.  Get better athletes, line them up properly, and coach them fundamentals.  Do that and we'll get enough stops to let our offense do their thing.  If they want to bring in Odom, sure... he's a badass as well.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It's looking more and more like Sark had put together the offensive staff at Bama.  If he's getting all of those guys to follow him, it means they believe in his system and they believe that their success is tied with Sark.  That is a very positive sign.  I also like that the names mentioned on offense have all worked together recently and this should be easy for Sark to implement his offense at Texas when he doesn't to take time to teach the coaches.

On defense, this is where it gets a bit tricky.  Not sure how Bo Davis, Raymond, Lupoi will work together.  Those guys are badass recruiters.  Honestly I saw we get those 3 and let Ash and Huztler stay on board and let those two coordinate the defense.  Lupoi can be Co-DC.  Huztler can be schematic coordinator or whatever title you want to create.  I do think continuity is important.  We've seen Ash make progress and I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to let him build on that and surround him with elite recruiters.  Keep the defense simple.  Get better athletes, line them up properly, and coach them fundamentals.  Do that and we'll get enough stops to let our offense do their thing.  If they want to bring in Odom, sure... he's a badass as well.  

Lupoi is a really good coach too, not just a recruiter. He can coach DL/LB.

Raymond is also a really good coach too.

Bo Davis is a good interior defensive line coach. While not as strong of a recruiter as the two above he's no slouch in recruiting either.

Hutzler is a rising star in the defensive coaching world and has a ton of potential. He's a guy you keep for that alone and groom him.

28 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Gerry:

Don't underestimate the Jeff Banks/Kyle Flood continuity on the field and in recruiting.

Banks is the lead recruiter on more than 10 2022's in Texas for Alabama.

Banks and Flood are tag team recruiting 2022 OL's ...

Devon Campbell
Neto Umeozulu
Kelvin Banks
Cole Hutson
Jaylen Early
Kam Dewberry

This.  We can't whiff on OL in state again in another loaded year.

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

On defense, this is where it gets a bit tricky.  Not sure how Bo Davis, Raymond, Lupoi will work together.  Those guys are badass recruiters.  Honestly I saw we get those 3 and let Ash and Huztler stay on board and let those two coordinate the defense.  Lupoi can be Co-DC.  Huztler can be schematic coordinator or whatever title you want to create.  I do think continuity is important.  We've seen Ash make progress and I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to let him build on that and surround him with elite recruiters.  Keep the defense simple.  Get better athletes, line them up properly, and coach them fundamentals.  

This is my dream scenario for the defensive staff.  Give em' whatever titles/$$ they want.  

So I know CFB is all cut-throat and stuff, but is there not an unwritten rule that you don't take large chunks of the staff with you when you depart? It's not that I don't like the Alabama assistants, but it seems really strange that there's no anti-poaching clauses. Maybe that's what you guys were referring to with the special titles? No lateral poaching?

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Not sure if Ash will stay, if he is forced to lose Valai. Odom probably means no to Raymond. I would be for bringing in Raymond and Lupoi and mix them in with what's already here. Give Lupoi the Associate HC title and give Raymond the Co DC title

1 minute ago, immamac said:

So I know CFB is all cut-throat and stuff, but is there not an unwritten rule that you don't take large chunks of the staff with you when you depart? It's not that I don't like the Alabama assistants, but it seems really strange that there's no anti-poaching clauses. Maybe that's what you guys were referring to with the special titles? No lateral poaching?

Fwiw Flood is a Sark guy, not a Saban guy. Came with him from the Falcons. So really it would just be Banks he’s “poaching”

1 minute ago, immamac said:

In general, I would say yes...but in this case, I think Saban's new OC will get to assemble his own support staff.

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If he's getting all of those guys to follow him, it means they believe in his system and they believe that their success is tied with Sark.

Maybe. Maybe there is a change coming at the top at Alabama, and Sarkisian wasn't actually a candidate for that job because the school has someone else in mind, so these guys don't want to stick around and see if they'll still have jobs at Alabama under the new head coach. 

Assistants move around a lot. Some of that is by choice and some isn't. If you're an assistant at Alabama and you think next year will be Saban's last, following Sarkisian from Tuscaloosa to Austin for equal or better money and an equal or better job title might look preferable to saying "I'll just hang out here and see if I get pushed out in a year or two". 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is anyone missing? 

image.thumb.png.9761cb13ccd7fb6574ad97153871e6a8.png

Blake Gideon hasn’t coached offense at any point in his career so there’s no chance he would be TE coach. He does have ST experience but his position group would have to be the secondary (corners or safeties) if he came on board.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, Richter said:

Are we sure Giles is out?

that would be such a positive sign

I'm looking for tea leaves I like, mucking out rot like Oscar Giles would certainly constitute that, the same way Plonsky getting marginalized was a tremendously positive sign that CDC was willing to tackle the $500 pillow culture

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Agreed.  Also I will never, ever get over that THIS dude is one of the most feared recruiters in the country.

Jeff Banks - Football Coach - University of Alabama Athletics 

maybe he reels them in by offering his tax and accounting services for free.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is anyone missing? 

image.thumb.png.9761cb13ccd7fb6574ad97153871e6a8.png

Pretty sure that Gerry said Nielsen was happy in the NFL and wasn't coming back to college.

Where has Joyner been mentioned other than by random posters on message boards? He would be a damn good hire, but I haven't seen him mentioned anywhere as of yet.

45 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Gerry:

Don't underestimate the Jeff Banks/Kyle Flood continuity on the field and in recruiting.

Banks is the lead recruiter on more than 10 2022's in Texas for Alabama.

Banks and Flood are tag team recruiting 2022 OL's ...

Devon Campbell
Neto Umeozulu
Kelvin Banks
Cole Hutson
Jaylen Early
Kam Dewberry

Seems like these two are close to being in?

Ideally this would be the dream staff:

HC - Sark

Co-OC/OL: Kyle Flood

Co-OC/WR: Any of the 3 listed on that spreadsheet.

QB: AJ Milwee

TE: Jeff Banks

Some kind of combination of the following

DC - Ash/Odom/Muschamp(even though the reports say otherwise)

DL - Tosh Lupoi/Bo Davis

LB - Coleman Hutzler/Muschamp

DB/CB - Ash/Odom/Raymond

ST - Blake Gideon

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Seems like these two are close to being in?

Bobby's article says that they are not hearing any other names for those positions - so its likely he's pretty much done on that side of the ball.

A Banks/Flood combo would be incredible.  Fingers crossed for Banks - Bobby thinks thats one coach Saban won't give up without a fight.

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

New OC usually wants his guys though bama is a bit different as their oc may already be on staff.  Also saban may be done soon.  I have no doubt he and sark had these conversations though 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

HC - Sark

DL - Tosh Lupoi/Bo Davis

DB/CB - Ash/Odom/Raymond

ST - Blake Gideon

Just give the Associate HC title to Lupoi and pay the man...He and Raymond would bring unbelievable talent to this defense, regardless of who the DC is.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

HC - Sark

DL - Tosh Lupoi/Bo Davis

DB/CB - Ash/Odom/Raymond

ST - Blake Gideon

FWIW - Banks was the Special Teams coordinator at both aggy and now at Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 3

Good Chemistry on the Defensive Staff, along with great recruiting, coaching, and developing players are really important for Sark's early success at TEXAS.

Agree that mixing a group of great assistants that don't get along will just cause problems...

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Maybe. Maybe there is a change coming at the top at Alabama, and Sarkisian wasn't actually a candidate for that job because the school has someone else in mind, so these guys don't want to stick around and see if they'll still have jobs at Alabama under the new head coach. 

Assistants move around a lot. Some of that is by choice and some isn't. If you're an assistant at Alabama and you think next year will be Saban's last, following Sarkisian from Tuscaloosa to Austin for equal or better money and an equal or better job title might look preferable to saying "I'll just hang out here and see if I get pushed out in a year or two". 

Nah it sounds like Bama really wanted sark as the next guy but Saban wasn’t going to leave for two years at least. Sark didn’t want to risk it and took texas instead. Bama wanted to do the Day/Riley plan of action

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Banks was the Special Teams coordinator at both aggy and now at Alabama.

I like bringing in a ST coach who has the best college football player in America playing gunner on the punt team. Seriously, that's getting guys to buy in. 

• Hook 'Em 1