Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Is Colbert confirmed/imminent?

Never coached under Sark so it isn’t a “Sark guy” thing. It’s an odd lateral move - perhaps he’s getting one of them fancy co OC or recruiting titles. Same reason I’m skeptical on Corey Raymond though.

Not a Sark “coaching” guy, but a WR at USC while Sark was there coaching QBs.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Hopefully our assistant coaching staff budget is around 10 million. Hopefully we have no limit on support staff.

Yep plus facility upgrades. Our talks with Urban were probably extremely beneficial on those type of fronts, basically we got an audience with one of the best coaches ever as a damn near consultant. He told us where we were lacking and what we need to have improved to be better

• Hook 'Em 1

He was the QB coach at USC when Colbert was a player

Pretty tangential given it was almost 20 years ago and Colbert was a WR. Definitely not on the comfort hire level of some of the Strong/Herman hires. Wouldn’t be an obvious explanation for him wanting to make that lateral move. It’d have to be stupid amount of money for a WR coach or just thinking Helton isn’t the guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pretty tangential given it was almost 20 years ago and Colbert was a WR. Definitely not on the comfort hire level of some of the Strong/Herman hires.

No doubt, but maybe a guy who has stayed in contact with Sark. I don’t mind these types of things like some, it’s common even with successful coaches. Just get it right.

No doubt, but maybe a guy who has stayed in contact with Sark. I don’t mind these types of things like some, it’s common even with successful coaches. Just get it right.

Agreed, coaches bring their guys. I’m more thinking about why he’d want to make the latter move from USC when that’s his alma mater and also a blue blood.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

So I know CFB is all cut-throat and stuff, but is there not an unwritten rule that you don't take large chunks of the staff with you when you depart? It's not that I don't like the Alabama assistants, but it seems really strange that there's no anti-poaching clauses. Maybe that's what you guys were referring to with the special titles? No lateral poaching?

No info, just a guess, but I continue to believe Saban is retiring, and Sark didn’t want to follow a legend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’m more thinking about why he’d want to make the latter move from USC when that’s his alma mater and also a blue blood.

Why I'm thinking he could be a guy who has stayed in contact with Sark, maybe Sark being a mentor he wants to coach with. 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Banks and Flood alone is boned worthy and better than anyone Chuck or Tom had on their initial staffs

Yep.  Going from Herman's initial OL/TE hires of Warehime/Meekins to potentially Flood/Banks is night and day difference.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Yeah, that is a massive improvement.

I still think that if Herman hadn't screwed up his initial staff he would still be here.

Yeah it makes me think we should never hire a g5 coach again, regardless of their success. I don't want to deal with that nonsense again.

Just now, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Yeah, that is a massive improvement.

I still think that if Herman hadn't screwed up his initial staff he would still be here.

Agree. People will look past conduct, personality, etc as long as the results on the field are there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Wow thats cheaper than Herman  right? 5.7AAV  sure is a smaller number than Urban at 12M...If that is allocated to assistants we are getting fuckin ERRRRRRRRBODY!

Yeah, assuming Donors pay all the buyouts the annual salaries for the new staff + Head Coach  probably won't be much higher than the 2020 season except at DC since Ash was on the cheap plan while still getting Rutgers money.

Hope more future HC/assistants contracts are lower on gtys,  but provide possibility of higher compensation thru incentives...

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Pretty tangential given it was almost 20 years ago and Colbert was a WR. Definitely not on the comfort hire level of some of the Strong/Herman hires. Wouldn’t be an obvious explanation for him wanting to make that lateral move. It’d have to be stupid amount of money for a WR coach or just thinking Helton isn’t the guy.

Both were on Bama's staff on Sark's first tour.

EDIT- I'm wrong Colbert was there the two years before Sark.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Yeah it makes me think we should never hire a g5 coach again, regardless of their success. I don't want to deal with that nonsense again.

It's just a gamble regardless.  There is no magic way other than having the greatest coaches fall in your lap a la Meyer/Saban.  

25 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Never coached under Sark so it isn’t a “Sark guy” thing. It’s an odd lateral move - perhaps he’s getting one of them fancy co OC or recruiting titles. Same reason I’m skeptical on Corey Raymond though.

I think Sark coached him.  Have him recruit the west coast with sark and possibly lupoi and watch out

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, assuming Donors pay all the buyouts the annual salaries for the new staff + Head Coach  probably won't be much higher than the 2020 season except at DC since Ash was on the cheap plan while still getting Rutgers money.

Hope more future HC/assistants contracts are lower on gtys,  but provide possibility of higher compensation thru incentives...

Yes, but we won't be paying top OC money like we were paying Yurcich.

Regardless I don't think money for assistants will be a problem.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes, but we won't be paying top OC money like we were paying Yurcich.

Regardless I don't think money for assistants will be a problem.

I think whatever Urban told them in this process as someone mentioned earlier humbled and educated some of the powers at Texas in regards to staff(assistants/support), facilities, and etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Recruiting profiles

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Banks-756/ (Currently the #3 recruiter for 2021....)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Tee-Martin-180/AllTimeRecruits/ (ELEVEN!!!!! 5 Stars on his resume)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Keary-Colbert-1776/  (Not great but I will give him a pass with USC not being an easy sell, still young and has NFL skins on the wall)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Kyle-Flood-548/ (Not the prettiest list but that is due to his time at Rutgers)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Holmon-Wiggins-1468/ (Has all the success in the world to sell and its just an OK list, recruiting is the biggest knock on him)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Brad-Davis-3600/ (Actual decent list for where he is at)

@6th Street

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's just a gamble regardless.  There is no magic way other than having the greatest coaches fall in your lap a la Meyer/Saban.  

This is also why I advocated for a guy like Sark over Fickell.  We have no idea how Fickell would've done at a big time program.  Sark knows what it takes.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Modessit said:
8 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:
I'm not implying it. Danny Davis was flat out saying it. And Mike Finger also. 
And then way it was said, it implied that the racist angle was the driving force behind the move to fire Herman. 
This is what print does. They are too lazy to develop sources. So the vomit out day old news, piss on the program. And create fake outrage to drive interest. 

FCB was on the Horn right after Sark's Zoom intro and said that Herman was dead man walking with the BMDs after losing to Oklahoma and the viral photo of Sam by himself for the Eyes. Supposedly lots of BMDs were pissed about it and called CDC. Also apparently CDC and Herman had a couple meetings about the Eyes with CDC emphasizing that all players needed to be out there and that Herman didn't take it seriously. (Wasn't clear whether that happened before or after OU.) After that, nothing short of a CCG win was going to save his ass.

this aligns with what i know third hand about a group that started talking after OU, started reaching out more than they already were and started writing group letters to the President and CC'ing CDC.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Keary Colbert was an Offensive Analyst at USC while Sark was Head Coach right??

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

1 minute ago, NoName said:

this aligns with what i know third hand about a group that started talking after OU, started reaching out more than they already were and started writing group letters to the President and CC'ing CDC.

IT said the convo began after Tech and TCU and OU just confirmed it entirely

• Hook 'Em 1