Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - Banks was the Special Teams coordinator at both aggy and now at Alabama.

Okay, shit! Well whatever...just get Banks!

I think this defensive staff would be good. If Odom wants that CB coach then I don't know what to tell ya because Raymond would be a huge get.

DC - Odom(Coach either LB or Safeties as he has)

DL - Tosh Lupoi(Recruiting Coordinator, Co-DC, Associate head coach)

LB - Odom/Hutzlert

Secondary - Odom/Raymond

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Nah it sounds like Bama really wanted sark as the next guy but Saban wasn’t going to leave for two years at least. Sark didn’t want to risk it and took texas instead. Bama wanted to do the Day/Riley plan of action

Very possible. Hard to know what the truth is regarding Saban's replacement. Most of the news regarding Sarkisian's staff is encouraging, to be sure. 

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Seems like these two are close to being in?

It sounds to me that Banks, Flood and Colbert are all in IMO. I think Wiggins name was floated for a raise by his agent, that’s really the only wheels behind it. And if that’s the offensive staff Sark already hit a fucking home run. If he can replicate that by 75% on the defensive side watch the fuck out! Hell just keeping Ash and Hutzler and upgrading at DL and CB is 85% 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

All these years later and I still have no clue why the fuck he was at Denny's.

He was banned from Kerbey Lane for dropping his pancakes on the floor too much.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Agreed.  Also I will never, ever get over that THIS dude is one of the most feared recruiters in the country.

Jeff Banks - Football Coach - University of Alabama Athletics 

I’d believe it. He looks like an insurance salesman or maybe Savings and Loan officer from the 80’s. 

• Haha 1

IMO if you are going to offer the DC job to anyone you need to let ash go. Not sure how good the atmosphere will be if ash is retained only after the other 2-3 guys turned us down. If sark wants a fresh start then release ash then go offer other candidates. I’m done with the 3rd option guys sticking around only because no one else we wanted would come. If you like ash then make him your DC now and keep him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The biggest positive for Wiggins would be the claim to the first WR heisman in decades. Recruiting would have been fire the first few years under him but by most accounts Colbert will be a solid hire. 

Colbert's actually a better recruiter. Bama fans don't have much love for Wiggins on the trail.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Not sure how good the atmosphere will be if ash is retained only after the other 2-3 guys turned us down.

That's up to the head coach, Ash, and the new DC. Ohio State hired Ash to co-coordinate their defense with Luke Fickell in 2014 and that could have been the exact kind of dick-waving tension that you're getting at, but they got along extremely well and Ohio State's defense improved significantly. 

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

IMO if you are going to offer the DC job to anyone you need to let ash go. Not sure how good the atmosphere will be if ash is retained only after the other 2-3 guys turned us down. If sark wants a fresh start then release ash then go offer other candidates. I’m done with the 3rd option guys sticking around only because no one else we wanted would come. If you like ash then make him your DC now and keep him.

Today and tomorrow should be more clear on the plans and expect more coaches to be officially gone over the course of those days.

44 minutes ago, victory88 said:

On defense, this is where it gets a bit tricky.  Not sure how Bo Davis, Raymond, Lupoi will work together.  Those guys are badass recruiters.  Honestly I saw we get those 3 and let Ash and Huztler stay on board and let those two coordinate the defense.

Remember the later Mack years, when Akina was basically running the DBs as his own personal fiefdom and taking no input from Diaz? That's what can happen when a DC doesn't choose his own DBs coach. Better for the defense's sake that Ash leaves if he tries to keep Valai which he probably would.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Nah it sounds like Bama really wanted sark as the next guy but Saban wasn’t going to leave for two years at least. Sark didn’t want to risk it and took texas instead. Bama wanted to do the Day/Riley plan of action

I think before Saban had to miss the Auburn game due to Covid, he would have likely retired within 2 - 3 years. But after missing that game he said he was stir crazy not being able to coach.  Probably any chance Sark hung around as HCIW went out with that.

At this point I could see Saban die as coach at Bama. Apparently a couple of grandkids hasn't changed the desire to coach.

38 minutes ago, immamac said:

So I know CFB is all cut-throat and stuff, but is there not an unwritten rule that you don't take large chunks of the staff with you when you depart? It's not that I don't like the Alabama assistants, but it seems really strange that there's no anti-poaching clauses. Maybe that's what you guys were referring to with the special titles? No lateral poaching?

Certainly adds weight to the rumors that Saban is retiring imo 

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

IMO if you are going to offer the DC job to anyone you need to let ash go. Not sure how good the atmosphere will be if ash is retained only after the other 2-3 guys turned us down.

Ehh. All coaches have huge egos and can get a little butt-hurt, but when it's back to coaching football, most coaches are gunna put their heads down and coordinate their side of the ball as they've always done. 

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It should happen pretty fast, but I don't have much sympathy for coaches being strung along given their salaries are essentially fully guaranteed.  

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Ehh. All coaches have huge egos and can get a little butt-hurt, but when it's back to coaching football, most coaches are gunna put their heads down and coordinate their side of the ball as they've always done. 

I agree. I’m not saying they are babies and can’t handle it but you want unity and excitement on your staff. If ash is named the guy after two or three offers to other guys and is good then no biggie. But I think we have seen too that coaches not being happy can cause a disruption. And you don’t really want to already be dealing with that in year one. 

34 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that would be such a positive sign

I'm looking for tea leaves I like, mucking out rot like Oscar Giles would certainly constitute that, the same way Plonsky getting marginalized was a tremendously positive sign that CDC was willing to tackle the $500 pillow culture

Both Plonsky and Giles have no interest in recruiting 18 year old males.  

I like the Keary Colbert hire but I dont necessarily understand him leaving there for a lateral move besides money. Unless he was on his way out somehow or just doesnt want to be tied to Helton. Would prefer Tee Martin would be great and still keep California recruiting at a high level, his all time commit list is beautiful. I am out on Wiggins after looking more into him at VT

IMO, either Sark was HCIW or Saban is retiring, both can't be true, or we don't land him.
Not neccessarily. One job is immediately after a legend retires, the other is following 2 failed coaches and 7 seasons of futility. Even though we seem impatient, the bammer fanbase has become accustomed to competing for championships every year..anything less (even year one) will cause great rumbling..

It might be a little awkward at first but between getting to work with players he knows, a nice defensive class that he helped recruit coming in, lack of equal or better opportunity, and the paycheck, I’m sure he’d get over it pretty quick.
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ideally this would be the dream staff:

HC - Sark

Co-OC/OL: Kyle Flood

Co-OC/WR: Any of the 3 listed on that spreadsheet.

QB: AJ Milwee

TE: Jeff Banks

Some kind of combination of the following

DC - Ash/Odom/Muschamp(even though the reports say otherwise)

DL - Tosh Lupoi/Bo Davis

LB - Coleman Hutzler/Muschamp

DB/CB - Ash/Odom/Raymond

ST - Blake Gideon

Doesn’t Banks coach ST also? I think he did at aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Recruiting profiles

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Banks-756/ (Currently the #3 recruiter for 2021....)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Tee-Martin-180/AllTimeRecruits/ (ELEVEN!!!!! 5 Stars on his resume)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Keary-Colbert-1776/  (Not great but I will give him a pass with USC not being an easy sell, still young and has NFL skins on the wall)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Kyle-Flood-548/ (Not the prettiest list but that is due to his time at Rutgers)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Holmon-Wiggins-1468/ (Has all the success in the world to sell and its just an OK list, recruiting is the biggest knock on him)

https://247sports.com/Coach/Brad-Davis-3600/ (Actual decent list for where he is at)

• Hook 'Em 1

I like the Keary Colbert hire but I dont necessarily understand him leaving there for a lateral move besides money. Unless he was on his way out somehow or just doesnt want to be tied to Helton. Would prefer Tee Martin would be great and still keep California recruiting at a high level, his all time commit list is beautiful. I am out on Wiggins after looking more into him at VT

Is Colbert confirmed/imminent?

Never coached under Sark so it isn’t a “Sark guy” thing. It’s an odd lateral move - perhaps he’s getting one of them fancy co OC or recruiting titles. Same reason I’m skeptical on Corey Raymond though.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

FCB says Sark's deal is 6 years $34.2 million.

Wow thats cheaper than Herman  right? 5.7AAV  sure is a smaller number than Urban at 12M...If that is allocated to assistants we are getting fuckin ERRRRRRRRBODY!

57 minutes ago, immamac said:

So I know CFB is all cut-throat and stuff, but is there not an unwritten rule that you don't take large chunks of the staff with you when you depart? It's not that I don't like the Alabama assistants, but it seems really strange that there's no anti-poaching clauses. Maybe that's what you guys were referring to with the special titles? No lateral poaching?

If there were such a rule, we would probably still have Strong.  Or Herm.

jennifer aniston yes GIF

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Is Colbert confirmed/imminent?

Never coached under Sark so it isn’t a “Sark guy” thing. It’s an odd lateral move - perhaps he’s getting one of them fancy co OC or recruiting titles. Same reason I’m skeptical on Corey Raymond though.

He was the QB coach at USC when Colbert was a player