Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Burt you're being pedantic and focused on the wrong point. You know full well that Ossai was used differently in Orlando's D vs. Ash's, and that often when someone says they run a 3 man front they have a very different base level responsbility for that 4th lineman. But again, this isn't the thread for this discussion, so let's just move it elsewhere.

I’m not being pedantic. This is resulting from you not understanding the nomenclature. You’re attaching the wrong meaning to a defensive scheme when it says it’s a 3-3-5.  That doesn’t mean they only rush 3 guys, like you keep assuming. Most defenses still rush 4 by using an OLB/edge player like Ossai along with 3 down linemen, so the distinction between 3 down lineman and 4 down lineman usually isn’t very meaningful and it’s wrong to assume they only rush 3 guys most plays or idiotically rely on safety blitzes as the 4th rusher like Orlando did. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not being pedantic. This is resulting from you not understanding the nomenclature. You’re attaching the wrong meaning to a defensive scheme when it says it’s a 3-3-5.  That doesn’t mean they only rush 3 guys, like you keep assuming. Most defenses still rush 4 by using an OLB/edge player like Ossai along with 3 down linemen, so the distinction between 3 down lineman and 4 down lineman usually isn’t very meaningful and it’s wrong to assume they only rush 3 guys most plays or idiotically rely on safety blitzes as the 4th rusher like Orlando did. 

I play a 3-3-5 on madden so this issue is hitting home

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@immamac should quit being a bitch and try to partner surly with barstool longhorn to make it happen. we'd fit in better there.

Honestly if I could get 1 or 2 people to show up consistently we could reboot the podcast. With work obligations it got tough for Blacklab and I to do it. 

If there are any takers or a schedule that we can get rotating in some people a Surly podcast is easily doable. We did almost 10 episodes before and I've been itching to reboot it, but really couldn't find the right time to start again. 2021 seems like a good time to start though with a new coach and with basketball season going well.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Honestly if I could get 1 or 2 people to show up consistently we could reboot the podcast. With work obligations it got tough for Blacklab and I to do it. 

If there are any takers or a schedule that we can get rotating in some people a Surly podcast is easily doable. We did almost 10 episodes before and I've been itching to reboot it, but really couldn't find the right time to start again. 2021 seems like a good time to start though with a new coach and with basketball season going well.

are you guys doing it remotely? 

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Shit... Cedric Golden on Finebaum right now....

And now about to have Liucci on right behind Cedric Golden trashing TEXAS...

nice job SEC Finebaum   🖕🖕🖕

Wish someone would just torch Austin American-Statesman

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No I’m not. I fully understand this. We all understand this. You’ve assumed incorrectly. Just drop it. Wrong thread. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Austin native seems like a fit based on bio

Hide contents

Aaron Fletcher is in his sixth season as an assistant coach at The University of Tulsa, where he coaches cornerbacks. He joined the Golden Hurricane coaching staff on January 27, 2015.

Fletcher has been a part of two bowl teams with the Hurricane, including the 2015 Camping World Independence Bowl and the 2016 Miami Beach Bowl.

In 2019, Tulsa cornerbacks totaled 21 pass break-ups, while the Hurricane defense overall ranked 5th in the American Athletic Conference for pass defense. One of Fletcher’s cornerbacks, Reggie Robinson II led the AAC and ranked 6th nationally for passes defended (17), while he was second in the league and 17th in the NCAA for interceptions (4) in the 2019 season.

Robinson earned first-team all-conference honors and went on to play in the Senior Bowl game and received an invitation to the NFL Combine. He became Tulsa’s first NFL draft choice since 2011 and the highest since 2006 when the Dallas Cowboys drafted the hometown talent in the 4th round with the No. 123rd overall selection.

Tulsa’s secondary was vital in the Golden Hurricane defense ending the 2018 season with the nation’s 8th best pass defense, holding the opposition to 174.6 yards per game. Tulsa also led The American in pass defense and ranked 4th for defensive pass efficiency, as well as 41st nationally, in 2018.  As a whole, the Tulsa defense held opponents to 120+ yards less in total offense than a year earlier. 

Among his player’s exploits, a number of Pro Football Focus weekly honors have been bestowed on Hurricane cornerbacks during his tenure. In 2015, Kerwin Thomas ranked third in the AAC with 14 passes defended, while teammate Darrell Williams ranked 17th with seven. Thomas ranked among the AAC’s top-15 for passes defended a year later as well.

In addition, Fletcher has helped coach Tulsa’s special teams block unit to an NCAA top-15 final ranking for blocked kicks in each of the past two seasons, including 10th in 2018 and 14th in the 2019 campaign.

Before coming to Tulsa, Fletcher spent three years (2012-14) as an assistant coach at Houston Baptist University, where he was part of a coaching staff that instituted the football program at the school. The Huskies finished its 2013 developmental season with a 3-4 record before playing its first full season as an FCS member in 2014. Fletcher coached two all-conference defensive backs that season and led the recruiting efforts on nine of 22 signees in 2013 and 11 of 24 in the 2014 campaign.

Previously, Fletcher coached at three Dallas-area High Schools covering 2006 through 2011, including his most recent stop as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at David W. Carter High School. While there, he coordinated one of the Dallas-Fort Wort Worth Metroplex’s top defenses.

Before that, Fletcher spent time at Desoto and Lancaster High Schools as defensive pass game coordinator and was regarded as the top developer of high school defensive backs in the country. In 2008, Fletcher’s secondary corps for the Lancaster Tigers earned the billing of the nation’s best secondary by several publications, coaching two All-Americans and four all-state players among various other honors. Four of his players were named Texas’ top-100 recruits in 2008.

Fletcher began his coaching career in 2001 as an assistant coach at Lyndon B. Johnson High School in Austin.

Notable players coached by Fletcher include Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Jalen Mills (Desoto HS), former Tennessee Titans and Chicago Bears defensive back Demontre Hurst (Lancaster HS) and Chris Houston (LBJ HS), a second-round draft choice of the Atlanta Falcons, who also played for the Detroit Lions.

Fletcher attended Ranger Junior College for two years (1995-96), and as a cornerback earned Team Defensive MVP honors and all-conference accolades. He then moved to Texas A&M-Commerce and started at cornerback. In 1999, Fletcher was rated as one of the top-20 defensive secondary draft-eligible prospects and participated in the NFL Pre-Draft Camp.

He received his degree in health education from Texas A&M-Commerce in 2003.

Fletcher played in the National Indoor Football League for the Austin Knights in 2001 and the Arena Football League with the Laredo Law Football Club in 2004.

An active member of his community, Fletcher founded “3 and Out Productions”, to enhance community and student relationships through sports camps and clinics in East Austin. In his career, Fletcher has also been involved with Boys and Girls Club, served as youth minister at Disciples of Faith in Commerce and was an active member of The Potter’s House, a men’s ministry in Dallas.

A native of Austin, Texas, Fletcher and his wife, Tanzania, have two daughters: Anaiya and Taylor, and one son, Aaron Jr.

Alma Mater: Texas A&M-Commerce ‘03
Birthdate: July 13, 1977
Hometown: Austin, Texas
Playing Experience: Two-year starter as a cornerback in college.

Bowl Games as a Coach
2015     Camping World Independence Bowl (Tulsa)
2016     Miami Beach Bowl (Tulsa)

need to go back and watch Bowl game after game fight to see if he knocked out any miss st. dudes

Well well well. My old nemesis — the (seemingly) annual mods only thread.

A lot of people are just tossing names out. That way you can circle back and say “FIRST!”

We’re not sure Barry Odom is the #1 target at DC. Hearing conflicting things. He’s a Sexton guy, Muschamp is a Sexton guy.

Who are some other Sexton guys? DJ Durkin. He was Muschamp’s DC in Florida, plus he’s already 1-0 in DKR.

Bricktop: Now e’s a bit of a nemesis, isn’t ’e?

Coleman Hutzler was the ST’s coach for Muschamp/Durkin. Now, Blake Gideon is the ST’s coach for Durkin. Football Scoop mentioned Gideon’s name recently. Gideon’s name would only float if they had an idea who the DC is...

Travaris Robinson has been contacted we hear. It sounds like Muschamp is just naming his guys. T-Rob kept former Florida 5, 4, 3, 2, 1’er Tim Irvin in Auburn. Another nemesis.

I know what you’re thinking....WILL MUSHCAMP IS THE DC YOU IDIOT. We just don’t think so.

The noise with Odom is interesting. We have people denying it and we have people saying there’s some smoke. The incentive in this situation would be to keep things quiet, but the person who told us there’s nothing there is trustworthy.

There are definitely coaches expressing interest in Texas job openings. UT is trying to find out who is fishing for raises or generally interested.

The defense won’t be settled until a DC is in place.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Roster imo

Moderators - Blacklab or immamac

Rotating Research/Info guys - ctj, machinator, texifornia, katfid (only white guys)

Humor - thujone, RGBIII, Mitch

Neg Nancies - futureman and Satyanash

We could close the episodes with a remember when by Armybrat or what to drink by HenryJames

What am I missing?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You just proved my point. It doesn’t matter if Ossai is standing up, ie a linebacker in a 3 down, or on the line, ie DE in a 4 down. They’re functionally the same. So overreacting to a defense that uses a 3 as the first number and assuming it only rushes 3 like you did is silly. 

To that end Ash fields a 3-3 defense, he just does it with 4-down the majority of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, General Specific said:

If you reverse those numbers, you would cover most of Surly, me included of course.

and then there is Tom Herman's brain...well over 25, Mensa, but still not fully formed.  Its a scientific anomaly.

• Like 1

In a surprise to no one, Austin "news" media is the worst. Just watched the Cedric Golden section and he not only likened what the AD/CDC did with the transition to treating the players as "cattle," but then he reinforced on rival network television the "too many cooks in the kitchen" trope with regards to a bunch of rich oilmen running the program. 

Edited by derpyhorndog
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

In a surprise to no one, Austin "news" media is the worst. Just watched the Cedric Golden section and he not only likened what the AD/CDC did with the transition to treating the players as "cattle," but then he reinforced on rival network television the "too many cooks in the kitchen" trope with regards to a bunch of rich oilmen running the program. 

Fuck that hack.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

In all seriousness, is IT worth the money outside of what's going on? I've been going back and forth between them and TFB for awhile now. I used to be on 247 like 10 years ago, but fuck that place was a beating and their scoops sucked shit. So who would be worth the $9.95? IT or TFB? 

Thanks 

I just come here for Tree Fiddy.  That way I can see who Sark is looking at for his staff.  I vote yes to Tosh, no to Stoops

Edited by Darth Tron
Off Topic
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

I vote for a big Mackey segment 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There are definitely coaches expressing interest in Texas job openings. UT is trying to find out who is fishing for raises or generally interested.

The defense won’t be settled until a DC is in place.

This. Although curious about some of the minor names that would be Boom people. He may be contacting them, but maybe for Georgia? Did he really turn us down?

45 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Edit was at 7:04 UTC apparently.  Clicking through, the IP was from Knoxville (Verizon Wireless).

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Exactly my first thought. 

33 minutes ago, immamac said:

I could help out on occasion. Not every week, but now and then. Even if it’s a “break” and reading just reading stats/scores/whatever. 

• Like 1

The timing here is interesting. You'd think we won't get confirmation on the offensive hires until after Monday because of all the Alabama targets yet the entire staff (except Drayton) got their walking papers today. We haven't heard anything definitive on anyone on the defensive staff despite the fact that most of those targets' seasons are over and can be hired at any time. 

Maybe a wrong assumption but I'm taking it all to mean Sark has his offensive staff pretty much locked in but is still needs to wait for the CFB and NFL coaching carousels to work themselves out a bit before finishing the defensive side.

16 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

PM @immamac the IP address he can cross reference.

Wiki logs the edits with the user that makes the edits, and actually that can point through to a few location services.  Just have to click on the "View History" tab on the wiki article.

Since it depends on database, others said Sevierville or Nashville.  Besides that, there are the probably corporate listings for New York or New Jersey.

17 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Roster imo

Rotating Research/Info guys - ctj, machinator, texifornia, katfid (only white guys)

We could close the episodes with a remember when by Armybrat or what to drink by HenryJames

What am I missing?

weekly cooking spotlight tie in with surly youtube cooking channel that someone should starts

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The timing here is interesting. You'd think we won't get confirmation on the offensive hires until after Monday because of all the Alabama targets yet the entire staff (except Drayton) got their walking papers today. We haven't heard anything definitive on anyone on the defensive staff despite the fact that most of those targets' seasons are over and can be hired at any time. 

Maybe a wrong assumption but I'm taking it all to mean Sark has his offensive staff pretty much locked in but is still needs to wait for the CFB and NFL coaching carousels to work themselves out a bit before finishing the defensive side.

Could here something more definitive on Tee Martin. But yeah other than Drayton and Milwee it'll be a waiting game for everyone else. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

The AAS guys are going to be ornery about the coaching change because when they ran with CDC's vote of confidence as confirmation that Herman would coach in 2021 they got a lot of shit talked to them for being so stupid and not recognizing what it really was. Those guys do actually believe that they're the local experts on college football and the Texas program in particular because they're the guys covering it for the local paper.

After people pointed out how wrong their interpretation of CDC's statement was they doubled down. So now they have to believe that this was a nefarious and malicious move by the athletic department because it's easier to pretend that's the case than to accept that they are exactly as dumb as everyone told them they are.

Right.  On their podcast the three of them sounded like little girls who couldn’t believe that other mean girl lied to them.  Omg.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The AAS guys are going to be ornery about the coaching change because when they ran with CDC's vote of confidence as confirmation that Herman would coach in 2021 they got a lot of shit talked to them for being so stupid and not recognizing what it really was. Those guys do actually believe that they're the local experts on college football and the Texas program in particular because they're the guys covering it for the local paper.

After people pointed out how wrong their interpretation of CDC's statement was they doubled down. So now they have to believe that this was a nefarious and malicious move by the athletic department because it's easier to pretend that's the case than to accept that they are exactly as dumb as everyone told them they are.

well this and of course Golden is a complete moron.

23 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Roster imo

What am I missing?

@immamac I’m in, just need to know the alcohol policy first

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Someone ask Cedric the last time someone closely following Texas Football got any actual NEWS from the Statesman.

• Hook 'Em 3