Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

33 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

There have also been at least a few reports that indicate he has watched a meaningful amount of Texas film, which would be, frankly, mind-boggling, given NCG prep he is likely in the midst of.

And considering that his predecessor thought that was completely irrelevant, that is a good 180.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

Wiley just tweeted that "this one stung a little" 

Do these players not realize they underperformed and that retaining majority of these coaches is not going to happen? 

17 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Sure why not. They’re UDub fans, they’re harmless 

UW is a fantastic educational institution. And even Seattle's pro teams' fans are usually much brighter than normal (see also the metrics Seahawks fans use, the stellar Mariners' meme game). No surprise that Huskies fans are equally good.

Bring em

2 minutes ago, Fug said:

Do these players not realize they underperformed and that retaining majority of these coaches is not going to happen? 

I give them some slack.  They are young guys who have been spending tons of time with certain coaches that they presumably grow pretty fond of.  They probably all think their favorite coach is the one that is going to stay and express disappointment when they don't.  Most guys will get over it, others will transfer.

5 minutes ago, jinx said:

And considering that his predecessor thought that was completely irrelevant, that is a good 180.

I recall Herman emphatically stating that he didn't watch any of our 2016 game film, even leading up to the 2017 season.  At the time, I thought it was obviously false bravado.  But who the hell knows in hindsight.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Bruce Feldman just said Bill O'Brien is on the short list for possible OC replacments for BAma, oh please let this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Auburn guy I work with threw out Shula Jr, I had to remind him he's getting wishful thinking from Auburn boards. I don't even know if Shula Jr coaches any more. 

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

If guys have already been fired, does that mean Sark already lined up their replacements?

I think Hand would've been gone regardless. Sark saw this dudes give up almost 10 sacks to OU last year and was like pack your shit you gotta go. 

That being said Flood is more of Sarks guy than Sabans so I'd say it's almost a guarantee he's coming along. 

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Odom? Barry Odom?

Do. Not. Want. He's got skeletons, and we really don't want those things. Not Briles level, but dirty enough if they were to get kicked into action here.

His misery defenses never were impressive, and his overall is just pretty meh.

This is a terrible take. His Missouri defenses when he was defensive coordinator were very very good. His first two years as head coach they were bad.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

If guys have already been fired, does that mean Sark already lined up their replacements?

Not necessarily. He could just know what he doesn’t want right now. But in this case, if he’s really been the guy for a week or more already, he probably does have at least some commitments from staff. 

4 minutes ago, Fug said:

Sure, most of them probably do. They are also people and can express disappointment that someone they personally like just lost his job.

Yancy probably spent more individual time with the team than any other coach and seems popular with the guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Odom? Barry Odom?

Do. Not. Want. He's got skeletons, and we really don't want those things. Not Briles level, but dirty enough if they were to get kicked into action here.

His misery defenses never were impressive, and his overall is just pretty meh.

Well. Congrats on your minority opinion. Without getting specific there's quite a few skeletons in many of the names that have been mentioned here and equally thirsted over thus far, as well as plenty of skeletons we just ejected in the form of Tom Herman. We've had Cleve Bryant. Charlie Strong lied in a court of law, fucked a Booster's wife at UL, and then lied about that shit. Casey Horney is technically still on staff. Gary Patterson up the road ran a miniature Drug Ring with his QB on campus, and *allegedly* loves to beat women to relieve the stress of being a fat, sweaty, miserable POS. Everyone here is crestfallen we didn't just hire Urban Meyer, who covered up a woman beating, drug addled lunatic for years. 

So yeah, I'm against hiring rapists, rape apologists, and guys who have done double work as a coach and drug kingpin or some other criminal enterprise on campus. Short of that, fuck it. I doubt Odom has anything we haven't heard or seen before that is going to make me blush. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I think Hand would've been gone regardless. Sark saw this dudes give up almost 10 sacks to OU last year and was like pack your shit you gotta go. 

That being said Flood is more of Sarks guy than Sabans so I'd say it's almost a guarantee he's coming along. 

You jinxing faget. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Fug said:

Do you not realize players like some of their coaches and even if they are expected to be let go it still hurts?

• Hook 'Em 1

I generally don't hear anything, but a friend in the sports media community told me he had heard that Tulsa CB coach Aaron Fletcher is a possibility.  I turned around and asked another sports media member who said he had heard the name mentioned in passing but doesn't think he's on the short list.  FWIW, likely nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Did he?  My recollection of the leaked portions of the transcript were that he played so dumb, he testified that he couldn't recall his own address and zip code.

I'm not sure which one of us is actually giving that fucking idiot the benefit of the doubt here. But for what it's worth, I did pause and consider that he was so stupid he couldn't remember our QB's name or the nature of which he hired Wickline to be as far as staff position...and decided roll with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Istian said:

I understand the need/want to keep Drayton, but there has to be better options right? Especially with regard to recruiting. Isn't RB supposed to be one of your rainmakers?

This is where the recruiter, coaching dynamic is in play. Drayton is such a elite coach that it's easy for great recruiters to sell the RB program. Perfect example is when Tim Beck lead the charge on Bijan. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

I generally don't hear anything, but a friend in the sports media community told me he had heard that Tulsa CB coach Aaron Fletcher is a possibility.  I turned around and asked another sports media member who said he had heard the name mentioned in passing but doesn't think he's on the short list.  FWIW, likely nothing.

Fletcher is a stud. In fact, that Tulsa defensive staff is ripe for the picking. Some great coaches there.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Did he?  My recollection of the leaked portions of the transcript were that he played so dumb, he testified that he couldn't recall his own address and zip code.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Played?

He couldn’t remember the name of his own starting qb so seems reasonable that he couldn't recall his own address. 

Edited by UncleSonny
Sydney beat me to it

48 minutes ago, Askew said:

Don't love going back to 3 down-linemen. 

But Barry Odom knows more than I do. 

Noooooooooooooo! I cannot take another three down lineman defense. ISU is just barely tolerable. Orlando’s was intolerable. It is effing stupid to give a QB so much time to throw with a weak pass rush, other than as a quick change of pace. Kill me now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Christ, I am erect thinking about Flood and Banks, and thats only 2 positions so far.

not sure what's creepier, talking about becoming sexually aroused by 17 year old boys, or 45 year old men. unless you're gay of course, in which case, my apologies 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

I say this out of respect and admiration. It’s incredible how many of you know the backgrounds and have intel on so many different coaches. I haven’t even heard of 90% of these guys that are possibilities. Do any of you actually have a job? Like actually work full time? 

You've obviously been spending too much time banging that hot-ass wife of yours.  And I say that with full admiration and jealousy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Read a little of the USC message board and they also hate Sark like the Husky folks. They say he got fired for being a lazy ass at Oakland. Then they start talking about how Tom could be their savior to the problems they have on offense. I bet if we posted that Herman has been nicknamed Turtle Tom they would disregard our knowledge as I am sure folks here will disregard their hatred for Sark. Such comments on other boards make Sarkisian is a  puzzling hire, I am starting to believe The Horn argument that Sarkisian was far down the list and we got NO's from Urban, Kelly, Campbell and Mullen.

i-dont-know-it-for-a-fact-i-just-know-it

Edited by DanTheHorn

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is a terrible take. His Missouri defenses when he was defensive coordinator were very very good. His first two years as head coach they were bad.

Having watched those defenses week in and out at the time, pre sec sec sec, they really weren't as good as people thought/remember. (Watched not as a fan of missouri, but of the conference opponents coming in in general. When they flipped their shit and actually left, I cancelled my tix.)

I'm not saying the guy is complete trash, just not what I would expect to work here. Maybe I'm wrong on what the potential results would be, but I'm not so sure on that.

As for dirty, what is the one thing that Texas holds its head up high about across the University? High academic quality. That piece of paper means something, has value. I think a huge ding to that reputation would be worse than bagmen, or that level of dirty. Obviously Briles/Tressel/Paterno and shit like that is horrible beyond any logical comprehension.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Fletcher is a stud. In fact, that Tulsa defensive staff is ripe for the picking. Some great coaches there.

Why is it that Tulsa always seems to have such great assistants? Seems like someone there has a real nose for coaching talent.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Noooooooooooooo! I cannot take another three down lineman defense. ISU is just barely tolerable. Orlando’s was intolerable. It is effing stupid to give a QB so much time to throw with a weak pass rush, other than as a quick change of pace. Kill me now. 

You know what remedies that? Lots of fire zone blitzes 😁

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

He couldn’t remember the name of his own starting qb so seems reasonable that he couldn't recall his own address. 

Shit his players couldn't figure out how to manage a fucking coin toss so it's not like the apple fell far from the tree throughout the team under Strong.

Love that Sark is letting coaches go this week and setting stage for new hires vs letting them hang around through the 11th

• Like 1