Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think you're off on your analysis of Sarkisian, alcohol addiction, football coaching, and chance of relapse.

Relapse is a possibility for any alcoholic of any period of sobriety.  But he's been in a high-stress environment pretty much non-stop since drying out.  He's made the time he needs to make to devote to his recovery.  Is it possible that he will relapse?  Sure.  Is it because he's HFC at Texas, probably not.

It's predicting the future, so I'm not going to argue vehemently about who could be right or wrong on this. I understand your past on addiction, but that's obviously not some exclusive club. Events and new behaviors, or relationships, or new environments, can all be triggers depending upon the person. Going from being in a protected role not owning the primary spotlight has worked for Sarkisian, apparently, in two big public orgs at Atlanta and Bama. That's different, however, than owning the spotlight and all of the pressure at a public place with the same or more coverage and pressure.

The only evidence we have of Sarkisian as a head coach in two big and visible places is that he ended up being a spectacular failure due ultimately to his addictions. Can he keep his shit together at Texas? I hope so. We'll all cheer to that. Is there any reason to feel confident from that perspective? No. Optimistic? Sure, have at it. 

Obviously, if he's able to bring 2-3 of the guys around him with him, that's pretty fucking good evidence that he's got buy-in regarding his behaviors and daily outlook, so I'm excited that it could go his way if Banks, Flood, and Millwee join. I know what's being reported about the WR coach there as well, but I am not sure that's all that real.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Walker_Texas_Ranger_23 said:

Barry Odom thoughts?

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know little about Odom but I’m fucking onboard with that hire until someone smarter than me tells me it’s bad. He’s the dude that had defensive success and made Wake Forest not terrible, right? 

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Also Missouri

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Kicked serious ass as the DC for Missouri.  Was a top choice for the DC job last year before Tom hired Ash.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Odom is just fine. Would need some recruiting coverage, but definitely can coach.

51 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Odom is better than Muschamp. Works for me. 

43 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I don't know who this is, but it seems like people are pretty positive about Odom:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Agree - have also noticed that this bullshit trend of "seniority" where we keep in older players like Ingram or Brewer is present through multiple position groups. That would imply this is more Herman's idiocy than the position coaches specifically.

Learned from Mack

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

That’s like saying your third baseman needs to an hr hitter. They all hit dingers now, even shortstops and 2nd baseman 

Except that is patently false, and this isn't baseball. True elite recruiters in College Football are rare, and many of them are in positions where they can afford to be below par coaches. See; RB and TE, specifically. True elite recruiters at positions that require legitimate technical coaching are ever more rare. They don't "all hit dingers now" in college football. There's a reason elite recruiters can always get a job. There's a reason Rashaad Samples can't really coach for shit yet, but he had a school willing to give him a coaching job. Fuck, there's even a reason some lower tier schools are offering to teach Bryan Carrington how to fucking coach on the field. 

So yeah, asking whether or not having a middling recruiter at positions like RB coach and TE coach is a legitimate question. I'll let everyone else debate the merits of Drayton. 

On 1/3/2021 at 7:36 AM, Texasrocks said:

Any word on who he wants as his S&C coach? That's probably the most immediate concern followed by recruiting coordinator. If nothing else, hopefully he's seen the admin infrastructure Saban has in place and brings in a shit ton of support staff.

Remember how excited we were about these two guys? They were gonna bring toughness back to the trenches. Good times. Maybe the 3rd time post Fat Dog will be the charm.

Pat Moorer named Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for Football at Texas  - University of Texas AthleticsYancy McKnight - Football Coach - University of Texas Athletics

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yancy is still a big ? for me. Players looked the part, but so many injuries both contact and non-contact combined with so much lack of leadership development (considering S&C coach considered the driver of that by sheer hours spent with players)

I've just never liked the name Yancy.  It was never going to work.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I know little about Odom but I’m fucking onboard with that hire until someone smarter than me tells me it’s bad. He’s the dude that had defensive success and made Wake Forest not terrible, right? 

Wrong Odom. Barry coaches football, Dave coached basketball.

51 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Scoop part 2

Reveal hidden contents

When we wrote there was palpable excitement emanating from the tower, we didn’t know the hire was for sure Steve Sarkisian. We suspected it might be, but the process was as covert as a school like Texas can make a coaching search so we didn’t know for sure.

Is Sarkisian the type of hire that would excite the higher ups? It turns out, yes, he is that type of hire, and they couldn’t be more thrilled with him accepting the offer.

Sarkisian‘s bookmarked name moved from potential candidate to serious target sometime around mid-December. We thought his name was more smokescreen early (Sarkisian? After Herman?) on than anything else, but we also knew the powers that be were aiming so high they’d need more realistic, yet still really good targets eventually.

Matt Campbell was a person of interest in early and mid-December, but Texas and the Iowa State coach weren’t the greatest fit for each other and not much time was spent going down that path.

Dan Mullen‘s name was in the hat but there were always concerns he was fishing for a raise. Plus there were personality concerns.

While Mullen was fishing, Texas went whaling but the net came back empty.

Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly was contacted on a few occasions and there were some thoughts in mid-December, when the vetting really turned up a notch, that he could be the next head coach. We were still thinking he might be the guy this time last week, in fact.

Someone on the board said it best, “Brian Kelly is the guy Texas would traditionally hire, while OU would hire Steve Sarkisian.” That’s absolutely correct. And that drastic altering of course goes a long way towards the excitement we’re talking about.

Every candidate had a dossier on them, and a lot of extra credit homework was done on Sarkisian. It’s been mentioned the decision makers interviewed numerous people about Sark, and his background since he hit rock bottom checked out each time.

Perhaps the most clarifying thing we’ve heard about where Sark is in life, personally and professionally, is Alabama did in fact want him to be the man to follow Nick Saban. I think schools are on to this succession planning thing with it having worked well in both Columbus and Norman. Fortunately for Texas, the Old Salt still has a lot of gas in his tank in Tuscaloosa.

While there are plenty of reasons to be excited about Sarkisian, one thing that would put any concerns to bed would be him putting together a initial great staff.

“Great staff” doesn’t mean a collection of well known coaches who score high on name recognition polls. It means a staff that fits together in complementary fashion with a great mix of recruiting ability and coaching acumen.

Turning our attention towards potential staff hires:

— We expect current Texas coaches to know their fate by this Wednesday. We expect heavy turnover from the previous staff but that doesn’t mean we won’t see a couple of coaches retained. Save Stan Drayton (which Bijan has done twice now), there is the sense an entire overhaul is likely.

— We think it’s more than likely Sarkisian already knows the composition of his offensive staff, but that’s touch because they all have one more game to win together. We don’t know who that would be for sure, but we think he’ll try to bring OL Kyle Flood, TE/ST Jeff Banks, and WR Holmon Wiggins. Flood would be a big piece for Sark as he’s also integral to game day management. Of that group, Saban will fight the hardest for Banks who is coveted for his recruiting as well as special teams coaching. Other potential candidates are OL Chad Banks from Arkansas and WR Keary Colbert, who is coaching at his alma mater of USC.

— Sarkisian will be the play caller but his current offensive analyst, AJ Milwee, may become his quarterback coach and pseudo OC. This is where you see some alignment. Milwee would run drills, practice script, and be Sark’s eyes in the box on game day, but make no mistake, Sarkisian would be the OC.

— On Sunday we reported Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton will return.

— We’ve heard from Sark’s hours of film review, he believes DC Chris Ash to be highly capable but we’re still not sure what direction he’ll choose to go with the all-important DC hire. If Ash is the floor, Sark knows what he’s doing.

— Tosh Lupoi’s name has been bandied about but it’s hard to see him as the play-calling DC. He’d more likely be the DL/Co-DC/recruiting witch. We’ve also heard he and Sarkisian have had an icy relationship in the past. Dunno, might be nothing.

— Until the DC is settled, it’s hard to know or even predict how the dominoes will fall on that side of the ball.

Reminder: The fan’s lust for a Super Team of All Star coaches rarely goes satiated. There really isn’t such thing as an all star coaching cast. If Sark nails the DC and OL positions and complements them with a couple of volume recruiters, the staff will be very good. Texas will recruit well out of the gates, and then they’ll win a lot of games.

No pressure, Steve.

1) Barry Odom would be a true grand slam hire.

2) Turning away from Brian Kelly to pursue Sark. Talk about a massive gamble. Hopefully it works out, all I can say.

28 minutes ago, Octavian said:

So what you're telling me is we're going from Ohio State South to Alabama West. I can get on board with that. Especially if it involves witch recruiting.

We were more Third Ward west than Ohio State south.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Remember how excited we were about these two guys? They were gonna bring toughness back to the trenches. Good times. Maybe the 3rd time post Fat Dog will be the charm.

Pat Moorer named Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for Football at Texas  - University of Texas AthleticsYancy McKnight - Football Coach - University of Texas Athletics

Yancy was a noticeable upgrade. I woudn't call him good at his job, though.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The leaves changing color in the fall. The lighting of the Christmas tree in Rockefeller center. The listing of Tom Brewster and Clint Hurtt as possible coaching hires by the shaggy/surly brethren. Traditions like no other. 

When you people get fixated on something, you’re like a Dachsund in front of a rat hole. 

I love dachshunds

My stance has always been that there are a handful of S&C coaches who are studs and true value-adds, there are a few who are worthless and are anchors on the programs they run, and the rest are roughly the same, each coming with a unique set of pros and cons.

Yancy was in the third category.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Drayton is the worst coach on the offensive staff we're in good shape.

This. We are two years away from Warehime, Meh, Drayton & Beck. Just a gang of offensive masterminds and top notch recruiters.

I am looking forward to seeing who Sark puts in place.

I'll be optimistic for a bit longer because the fact that it's been two days since the hire, he's also prepping for the NCG as a Saban employee, yet he's made time to talk to all the coaches, our major recruits, and has already made decisions on existing staff indicates that he really does have most of his staff lined up.

The alternative explanation is he's completely fucking lost and we might not have a staff until after NSD2. So I'm going to go ahead and choose the optimistic explanation until proven otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The leaves changing color in the fall. The lighting of the Christmas tree in Rockefeller center. The listing of Tom Brewster and Clint Hurtt as possible coaching hires by the shaggy/surly brethren. Traditions like no other. 

When you people get fixated on something, you’re like a Dachsund in front of a rat hole. 

Frank Costanza Seinfeld GIF by MOODMAN

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'll be optimistic for a bit longer because the fact that it's been two days since the hire, he's also prepping for the NCG as a Saban employee, yet he's made time to talk to all the coaches, our major recruits, and has already made decisions on existing staff indicates that he really does have most of his staff lined up.

The alternative explanation is he's completely fucking lost and we might not have a staff until after NSD2. So I'm going to go ahead and choose the optimistic explanation until proven otherwise.

There have also been at least a few reports that indicate he has watched a meaningful amount of Texas film, which would be, frankly, mind-boggling, given NCG prep he is likely in the midst of.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

FYI

Feldman about to be on Finebaum Show in a couple minutes -- Paul said they would discuss Sark hiring at TEXAS among other things

some dumbass worried about losing Sark asked Finebaum what he thought of bringing Herman in to oversee the offense.

• Haha 4

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

There's also some reports that LSU is after Odom. It would be interesting to see who wins out if there's a bidding war between us for him. 

I cant imagine anyone going to LSU if they have similar options, that place is a mess

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

There have also been at least a few reports that indicate he has watched a meaningful amount of Texas film, which would be, frankly, mind-boggling, given NCG prep he is likely in the midst of.

I think the reports were indicating he did that in researching the job prior to accepting. At least that's the sense I got. Because yeah, if he's doing all this shit right now then I'm about to go drop some money on the Alabama under against Ohio State.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

See the 800+ page Urban Meyer thread and the dismissal of any other candidate as just another Strong/Herman as exhibit A

• Like 1