Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Tough to say right now, since all of the sources are going to be reset so we don't know who will have the best info in the next regime as far as day to day and recruiting stuff, though both were solid in the coaching search.  IT's analysis is going to be the same value going forward if that makes a difference to you.

This is a very good point that should be considered overall in general. Any sources inside the team will be reset and it may take a bit to figure out what is coming from where. 

3 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

True enough. I’m just not a fan of his work, nor his tenure as a HC for the kittens. He just doesn’t strike me as someone worth their salt. If he were to be hired, I won’t hate it, I just will be waiting with baited breath. If he were hired and has success, good. But caution in his area wouldn’t be a bad thing. At least initially anyway. 

Tons of great DCs flame out as HCs and can’t keep a good defense while being the HC. It’s pretty irrelevant to how he’d perform here as the DC, and there’s plenty of evidence to know he’s a damn good DC. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Tons of great DCs flame out as HCs and can’t keep a good defense while being the HC. It’s pretty irrelevant to how he’d perform here as the DC, and there’s plenty of evidence to know he’s a damn good DC. 

HC stuff isn’t factoring into my opinion of his D’s, but does factor into my overall opinion of him as a person/coach as a whole. 

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

HC stuff isn’t factoring into my opinion of his D’s, but does factor into my overall opinion of him as a person/coach as a whole. 

His defenses have improved every year he’s been a DC at three different schools and they’ve pretty much all been great, so either you are factoring in his HC stint or you have no idea what you’re talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

In all seriousness, is IT worth the money outside of what's going on? I've been going back and forth between them and TFB for awhile now. I used to be on 247 like 10 years ago, but fuck that place was a beating and their scoops sucked shit. So who would be worth the $9.95? IT or TFB? 

Thanks 

IT. They were the choice even before adding Bobby & Gerry. 

Edited by Chef Bezos
  • Like 1

The fact that names like Belk and Carter are now leaking out doesn't give me much hope for Raymond.

You mean the Louisiana native who played at LSU and has spent most of his coaching career at LSU isn’t taking a lateral move to come to Texas!?!?!?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re conflating 3 down lineman with a 3 man rush. Tons of coaches use 3 down but rush 4 guys most plays, like Aranda at LSU with Chaisson. 3 or 4 down doesn’t matter. We also don’t have a good pass rushing DE in the program right now, so 4 down isn’t going to be a silver bullet. 

No, I want four base lineman at the line of scrimmage who most of the time are rushing and providing gap control. Guys like Ossai can stand up if they want, and ocassionally drop back into coverage, but most of the time I want that as the base defense. Why?

After watching Mann _iaz try to suprise offenses by bringing rushers through different gaps and fail, and seeing Orlando do a lot of the same things and also fail, I believe that type of approach is too difficult to rely on most of the time and leaves major gaps uncovered and receivers in the pattern with a defender not fast enough to stay with them. Ash immediately had better results in gap control and receiver coverage playing Ossai most of the time as the fourth man aat the line of scrimmage. Texas A&M has done very well doing the same thing. Mixing it up with multiple is fine. I'm talking about the base defense. Anyway, this isn't the thread for 3 man vs 4 man fronts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Odom? Barry Odom?

Do. Not. Want. He's got skeletons, and we really don't want those things. Not Briles level, but dirty enough if they were to get kicked into action here.
His misery defenses never were impressive, and his overall is just pretty meh.

Wait ‘til you see the head coach hire!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

This is a very good point that should be considered overall in general. Any sources inside the team will be reset and it may take a bit to figure out what is coming from where. 

You realize that most of the sources inside the programs are the players themselves right. You think these 9.95ers spend 3-4 years building relationships with these kids in HS and just say, "Shit, they are in college now. Can't contact them."

Burton has sources inside Belmont that have spanned multiple coaching staffs, and wouldn't be surprised that a multimillionaire like him has connections in the administration/BOR as well.

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

In all seriousness, is IT worth the money outside of what's going on? I've been going back and forth between them and TFB for awhile now. I used to be on 247 like 10 years ago, but fuck that place was a beating and their scoops sucked shit. So who would be worth the $9.95? IT or TFB? 

Thanks 

IT is the only one worth the money. TFB is solid for recruiting stuff but their updates are infrequent and no board, just the comment section on their updates

• Like 1

No, I want four base lineman at the line of scrimmage who most of the time are rushing and providing gap control. Guys like Ossai can stand up if they want, and ocassionally drop back into coverage, but most of the time I want that as the base defense. Why?
After watching Mann _iaz try to suprise offenses by bringing rushers through different gaps and fail, and seeing Orlando do a lot of the same things and also fail, I believe that type of approach is too difficult to rely on most of the time and leaves major gaps uncovered and receivers in the pattern with a defender not fast enough to stay with them. Ash immediately had better results in gap control and receiver coverage playing Ossai most of the time as the fourth man aat the line of scrimmage. Texas A&M has done very well doing the same thing. Mixing it up with multiple is fine. I'm talking about the base defense. Anyway, this isn't the thread for 3 man vs 4 man fronts.

lol you are making burt’s point for him
  • Hook 'Em 1

As far as Odom being D.C. his defenses played dirty, they were fond of doing the alligator roll with the ball carriers leg once they got them on the ground. Injured a Bama WR doing that. It wasn't a problem when Pinkel was in charge. The Arky Defense was doing it this season with Odom as DC there.  

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You just proved my point. It doesn’t matter if Ossai is standing up, ie a linebacker in a 3 down, or on the line, ie DE in a 4 down. They’re functionally the same. So overreacting to a defense that uses a 3 as the first number and assuming it only rushes 3 like you did is silly. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

59 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Read a little of the USC message board and they also hate Sark like the Husky folks. They say he got fired for being a lazy ass at Oakland. Then they start talking about how Tom could be their savior to the problems they have on offense. I bet if we posted that Herman has been nicknamed Turtle Tom they would disregard our knowledge as I am sure folks here will disregard their hatred for Sark. Such comments on other boards make Sarkisian is a  puzzling hire, I am starting to believe The Horn argument that Sarkisian was far down the list and we got NO's from Urban, Kelly, Campbell and Mullen.

i-dont-know-it-for-a-fact-i-just-know-it

The Horn are a bunch of buffoons rolling into work on a Monday after watching 5 minutes of sports highlights on ESPN and then spending 4 hours talking about it. They know less than nothing. 

Your assertion that he was far down the list is almost definitely false. I think he was most likely the number 3 candidate on the list behind Urban and Kelly. Although if someone were to try and convince me that he was higher on the list than Kelly I would not put up too much of a fight. I doubt Belmont would be as excited as they are for their 5th option. CDC was almost giddy on the intro presser. It has been repeated ad nauseum on this thread, but if he brings in the staff that it appears he will then he is going to be successful here barring major personal meltdown. 

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We don't have a guy like Ossai on the roster now. Which is why it makes more sense for us to shift to a three-man front, like @Burt Macklin said. Put a speedy nickel like Adimora on the field instead.

Just now, satyanash said:

We don't have a guy like Ossai on the roster now. Which is why it makes more sense for us to shift to a three-man front, like @Burt Macklin said. Put a speedy nickel like Adimora on the field instead.

Um no. Most teams already play base nickel, whether it’s 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, so you’re not swapping out your 4th DL for a nickel because he’s already on the field. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Thanks 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/subscriptions/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

lol you are making burt’s point for him

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You just proved my point. It doesn’t matter if Ossai is standing up, ie a linebacker in a 3 down, or on the line, ie DE in a 4 down. They’re functionally the same. So overreacting to a defense that uses a 3 as the first number and assuming it only rushes 3 like you did is silly. 

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Burt you're being pedantic and focused on the wrong point. You know full well that Ossai was used differently in Orlando's D vs. Ash's, and that often when someone says they run a 3 man front they have a very different base level responsbility for that 4th lineman. But again, this isn't the thread for this discussion, so let's just move it elsewhere.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Burt you're being pedantic and focused on the wrong point. You know full well that Ossai was used differently in Orlando's D vs. Ash's, and that often when someone says they run a 3 man front they have a very different base level responsbility for that 4th lineman. But again, this isn't the thread for this discussion, so let's just move it elsewhere.

Sorry man, this is just wrong. Everything you’re discussing is based upon where the linemen line up their shoulders and gaps versus the OL. Youre just wrong. Matt Rhule 3 man front versus Todd Orlando. 

• Hook 'Em 1