Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There's also some reports that LSU is after Odom. It would be interesting to see who wins out if there's a bidding war between us for him. 

We just spent $15M and starting to spend a few more millions on the asst coaches, now is NOT the time to get cheap. We need to quit doing this shit half ass. Build the best staff money can buy.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Askew said:

Don't love going back to 3 down-linemen. 

But Barry Odom knows more than I do. 

Not a really meaningful difference, as long as the 4th/5th rusher on a given play isn't rusher from 16 yards away from the ball a la Todd Orlando's scheme.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

1) Barry Odom would be a true grand slam hire.

2) Turning away from Brian Kelly to pursue Sark. Talk about a massive gamble. Hopefully it works out, all I can say.

Is this your attempt at positivity? A little loose in the transmission but it's the first time that rusty boat has been out of your front yard in years. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

I say this out of respect and admiration. It’s incredible how many of you know the backgrounds and have intel on so many different coaches. I haven’t even heard of 90% of these guys that are possibilities. Do any of you actually have a job? Like actually work full time? 

Are you implying posting on Surly isn't a job?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

We just spent $15M and starting to spend a few more millions on the asst coaches, now is NOT the time to get cheap. We need to quit doing this shit half ass. Build the best staff money can buy.

yes! and with Sark making $2.5 as an OC, he certainly has a view that you should seek the best as coordinators and pay them enough where they would only seek a top tier HC job

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There's also some reports that LSU is after Odom. It would be interesting to see who wins out if there's a bidding war between us for him. 

The incoming coach will always win out versus a coach on the hot seat coming off a spectacular failure of a year. Way more stability and we will not be outbid by fucking LSU and their bayou industrial economy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

I say this out of respect and admiration. It’s incredible how many of you know the backgrounds and have intel on so many different coaches. I haven’t even heard of 90% of these guys that are possibilities. Do any of you actually have a job? Like actually work full time? 

Don’t tell anyone, but they are making most of this shit up.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

The word is he has been a good boy and realizes the enormity of how fucked up he was. Seems he might have liked nose clams also and that made the drinking explode and led to some of the most dramatic public shit. Who knows tho, that’s all that’s all 3rd hand info.

Fuck it, he seems to have his shit together and UT fans are going to have to just take it one day at a time like he does.

Finally, a coach who parties with the working man.

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The incoming coach will always win out versus a coach on the hot seat coming off a spectacular failure of a year. Way more stability and we will not be outbid by fucking LSU and their bayou industrial economy. 

That is true, but they will enthusiastically bankrupt that economy for Geaux Tiger.

8 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

That's What She Said: Energy News for the Week of August 2 in GIFs from The  Office | Chester Energy and Policy

"We hear that Sark is considering Thurston Johnson for a GA position. Johnson, who played WR for Ball State in 2016-2019, spent last year working as a water boy at Oregon State."

Commence 3 pages of "insider information" on Johnson.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

4 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Don’t tell anyone, but they are making most of this shit up.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

if they fired Yancy, it seems he'd have to announce a replacement soon as that is who the players report to during the off season, I think.  maybe the 8 or 9 days doesn't matter if the players all have off for a couple of weeks.

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My stance has always been that there are a handful of S&C coaches who are studs and true value-adds, there are a few who are worthless and are anchors on the programs they run, and the rest are roughly the same, each coming with a unique set of pros and cons.

Yancy was in the third category.

Who are the studs? Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, ___________

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If Sark names anyone before the Championship game, it may give us an idea of who he is actually poaching from Bama. Like say Flood and Banks. So if Texas starts naming Milwee (QB), Drayton (RB), and maybe Martin or Colbert (WR), and no one else on the offensive side, it is a good bet that Flood and Banks are coming with Sark.

It also appears that no one from the defensive side of the ball, i.e. actual coaches as been rumored, so maybe Saban and Sark have a gentlemen's agreement as to which side he can poach from.

I also think it's quite interesting that Saban wants Sark to call the offense, after he told Kiffin to get the fuck out to FAU, and I think I remember Sark getting promoted to play calling in 2018 when Locksley went back to Maryland. Though both of those hires were made in December.

Sark called plays for that championship game and then got the Falcons job, Daboll replaced Locksley.

Edited by Michael Knight

22 minutes ago, Askew said:

Don't love going back to 3 down-linemen. 

But Barry Odom knows more than I do. 

Was just reading he has run a 4-2-5, 3-4, 4-3 and 3-2-6 at various times and stops depending on personnel and opponents.  

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wednesday...

A friend of mine did that exact same thing in his room in Dobie. Roommate was in bathroom, and he couldn't wait. I guess it would have been fine except he left it for his roommate to clean up. God, I miss college.

• Haha 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Was just reading he has run a 4-2-5, 3-4, 4-3 and 3-2-6 at various times and stops depending on personnel and opponents.  

Yeah I was watching 2019 Mizzou and 2020 Arkansas film and saw all 3-2-6. But did see that in the article. Good sign that he's multiple.

Our roster is probably suited for a nose and a DT with Keondre, Sweat, and Collins being the best players there now. 

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That is true, but they will enthusiastically bankrupt that economy for Geaux Tiger.

We have Tesla, Apple and Oracle coming to town. If this becomes a money fight, we will bury anyone under enough cash for Herman, Harden, and any other club fiend to spend all of 2021 throwing those bills up.

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are a pretty miserable fucking storm cloud lately since all this went down.  Mind you- this is not me bitching as I (think) I appreciate the insight into what's going on- but this seems like the 3rd hire in a row that doesn't really get it if some of the shit he's thinking about is really top of mind.  I get that none of this has happened yet- but if his initial instinct is Mike Fucking Stoops then that shows he's got to be sat on at all times. If you can accomplish what you need to accomplish by sitting on him, and he's at least trainable and open to better ideas that's a clear win from the last guy, but I'd rather he got it up front than had to have it explained to him like a 5 year old. Unfortunately if your sources are correct the guy in charge of sitting on him professionally and making sure he doesn't do something stupid is also an idiot that needs to be sat on that's come up with ideas of "lets give Herm another year when all the money is lined up now" and "golly, I hope they let me hire James Fucking Franklin"

That leads me to something tangentially related that I'm a little bit serious about but obviously wouldn't ever happen in real life and that is Surly needs a voice in the operations of this AD.

Now, we all know that this site is not as good as Hornfans was circa 1998-2002 or 04 or whatever it was. That's not a knock on this site- it's just a simple acknowledgement that longhorn messagedom has splintered and fractured a metric shit ton since Agnor and Wheeler split and the proliferation of the $9.95 guys. But, there are a metric shit ton of smart people on here- that make serious money in their professions, have real responsibilities and quality work, and most importantly are not 187 fucking years old.  I don't mind the big donors that write the big checks having their thoughts taken into account, but that's a really old fucking group that has the 9 and 10 figure type money.  What I would suggest is that collectively, some of the people in their 40's and 50's doing good work but that don't quite have fuck you money yet might have something interesting to add to the process.  I nominate, of course, Vic, Derka and Spider2yBanana to be our representatives to the AD for all things sports related.  But on a serious note- the value of crowd sourced opinion of intelligent and knowlegeable people (or even not mouth breathing morons) has been shown to do better at lots of shit than expert level people acting on their own. I wish there was a way where with some formality you could factor in shit like- should we do this- and places like this could have a say in this opinion.  Because I have to tell you man- when there are an immediate 100 red flags on here about something like Watson as OC this board is almost never wrong about shit like that.  

Challenge accepted  

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Daniel Carson, currently of THE University of Western Illinois (check his bio), is upset about this.  Maybe Western Illinois will hire Yancy.

Wiley just tweeted that "this one stung a little" 

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

36 minutes ago, satyanash said:

1) Barry Odom would be a true grand slam hire.

2) Turning away from Brian Kelly to pursue Sark. Talk about a massive gamble. Hopefully it works out, all I can say.

I think Kelly has a lot of the same personality traits that herman does, and they were looking to make a move away from that. Urban’s ability trumped that desire though. 
sending a guy 40 feet up in a scissor lift in high winds (he did have an affirmative part to play in this situation I believe and wasn’t ignorant to it) kinda says idgas we will do what I want when I want. 

8 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Bruce Feldman just said Bill O'Brien is on the short list for possible OC replacments for BAma, oh please let this happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If true, then it is a slam dunk that Banks, Flood, and the WR coach are coming to Texas. There is no way any offensive staff member would want to work for both Saban and O'Brien.

• Hook 'Em 2