Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

31 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Haven't seen anything on numbers personally, but my hope remains that the black-check assistant and support staff budget (along with facilities upgrades, etc.) supposedly promised to Urban during his courting would not be reeled in a cent for Sark. In fact, I hope they tack on to that budget whatever the delta ends up being between Sark's salary and what Urban was offered. 

Sarkisian isn't officially hired until the 7 day posting period which began when Texas officially fired Herman on Saturday.

34 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If Banks doesn't work out any chance of making a run at Brewster?  Probably wants out with the mess at FL/Mullen.  Don't know if he and Sark have any history together.

I am hopeful that Sarkisian is secure enough in himself that he can actually hire people he has never worked with before and make it work for both sides. Herman, turns out, was an insecure prick.

32 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

All these Bama names are scaring me a bit. No way they just all take lateral moves. We can give as many bullshit titles that we can and obviously be raises but can't imagine Bama just lets them walk. If Flood is coming with an OC title, we could give Banks a AHC title but then do we remove it from Drayton? No clue how this happens and if this is just them trying to get raises...guess we will see

Sarkisian just needs to go to the ASU football coaches page on their athletic website to find some titles.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

As for Akina, I mean he was a great hire 20 years ago and has an unmatched legacy here but he's almost 65 years old.  I would be shocked if actually on Sark's radar and not just a name being thrown out by Texas media remembering the glory days.

Leon Fuller is still alive and kicking, let's give him another try

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

As for Akina, I mean he was a great hire 20 years ago and has an unmatched legacy here but he's almost 65 years old.  I would be shocked if actually on Sark's radar and not just a name being thrown out by Texas media remembering the glory days.

I sort of feel the same way about Brewster. The talent he helped bring Mack was incredible and his role in Vince alone gives him a lifetime pass but he's 60 years old and full in mercenary mode of taking a new job every 12 months. I don't know how much of a teacher he's ever been, and is he still the rainmaker in recruiting to justify a spot on Sark's first staff? 

• Hook 'Em 2

It seems counterintuitive, because it's Bama, but I would actually be more encouraged if Sark looked outside Saban's staff for most of his assistants (as long as they have a decent record and don't all come from G5s). You need a constant injection of fresh perspective to succeed at a program like Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I have pronounced loudly and clearly how stupid I think this hire is. The fact that it was so loud, and so clear, means I'm probably gonna have a zillion responses that I really don't want to read.

So, here's the only reason I'm saying something now. I really don't want anyone to misinterpret the fact that I'm ignoring their responses to my prediction that we've just hired Howard Fucking Schnellenburger. I still love you as fellow Longhorns fans, and if you turn out to be right and I turn out to be wrong, I will be as fucking happy as a fucking clam (and we all know how happy clams are when they are fucking).

I am just depressed as shit by this turn of events, which I see as worse than having left well enough fucking alone, so forgive my invective.

I will love it beyond belief if I turn out to be wrong.

Then do us all a favor you whiney tool.  TAKE THAT DISCUSSION TO A THREAD THAT IS ACTUALLY DISCUSSING IF SARK IS A GOOD HIRE OR NOT AND KEEP IT THE HECK OUT OF THE STAFF THREAD!   Caps were so you didn't misunderstand what I was trying to convey.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

I sort of feel the same way about Brewster. The talent he helped bring Mack was incredible and his role in Vince alone gives him a lifetime pass but he's 60 years old and full in mercenary mode of taking a new job every 12 months. I don't know how much of a teacher he's ever been, and is he still the rainmaker in recruiting to justify a spot on Sark's first staff? 

I haven't followed him at UNC but he sure as hell hurt us at A&M when Herman's dumb ass passed on him.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It seems counterintuitive, because it's Bama, but I would actually be more encouraged if Sark looked outside Saban's staff for most of his assistants (as long as they have a decent record and don't all come from G5s). You need a constant injection of fresh perspective to succeed at a program like Texas.

and they're dealing with much different offenses which requires more from linebackers, and coverage.    

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Regarding Flood/Banks - I expect Sark already has a pretty good idea of how 'gettable' those two guys are and what it would take (outside of salary) to get them here.  If lateral moves were going to be an issue - I'm guessing he already knows that.

On top of that Flood, Banks, and the WR coach all came to Bama when Sarkisian came back to Bama from the Falcons. So none of these guys were at Bama prior to being part of Sark's offenses.

And to correct something I said earlier, Sark took over for Kiffin in 2016, and not Locksley in 2018.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I haven't followed him at UNC but he sure as hell hurt us at A&M when Herman's dumb ass passed on him.

He was at UNC for a year and left for Florida, because Longo started to de-emphasize the TE in his spread offense. I think the guy that still coach a little, Pitts was the best TE in college football last year.

All coaches make comfort hires, they just need to actually be good hires/work out. Hell we just spent well over a month discussing whether Urban eyer would take the Texas job without the two guys he’s most comfortable with. When Saban took the LSU and Bama jobs, he brought in a lot of guys he was comfortable with. Now the obvious difference is, and a rather huge one, is we’re talking Urban and Nick and their guys, and what they accomplished early on and since... and then we’re talking Sark, who hasn’t done anything near that and understandably isn’t going to be given the benefit of the doubt.
Period, whatever hires made need to work out, and if it includes a lot of comfort hires, hopefully Sark can reach a point to where he’s forced to hire guys based on pure evaluation, and not comfort, because those comfort guys have all moved on to better jobs. Just constantly reloading the staff like the big boys gotta do.
Preferably, just get the best guys to begin with. That remains to be seen. It is a bit encouraging we hear he’s at least considering keeping guys like Drayton on, guys he’s not connected to. Discouraging, however, to hear names like Stoops.
Not all of the hires will be good ones, I’m already going to accept that, but hopefully there are enough good ones to get this thing off and running in the right direction quickly.
Only thing I’m certain of, is Tom Herman had to go. It was over. Some type of shot needed to be taken. Fingers crossed.

• Hook 'Em 4

It’s not that it needs to be “fresh”, it’s just that a machine like Bama is, well, a fucking machine. They lose a piece or so every year, but not enough to derail the machine, and that piece fits and works out. Completely different when you’re replacing an entire, or near entire staff.

31 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Interesting. Well, Fat Dog was once highly regarded, too. People get lazy. But you’re right, Ausmus may be a scapegoat. Who knows. 

Another guy I thought of is Andrew Swazay (I’m probably misspelling his name) whose wife is from nearby copperas cove. Swazay is highly regarded by former players who he coached at Miami. He got canned by Richt because Richt is a buffoon. Former players in the league still go back to train with him. I’d take him in a heartbeat. 

not sure who you are but you are bringing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Skipper said:

So if Sark has a good relationship with him from his time at Bama and he made an initial list, and CDC said (you know Texas fans are going to go ape shit every time a LB misses a tackle if you hire a Stoops here) 

Well, that and the guys brother is still an active and engaged participant in the program of the bitter rival and any inclination of scheme sharing/inside info would be disastrous.

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He was at UNC for a year and left for Florida, because Longo started to de-emphasize the TE in his spread offense. I think the guy that still coach a little, Pitts was the best TE in college football last year.

Fair enough, but Pitts was already pretty damn good. Hard to know how much of his season was the 10 months being coached up by Brew. Regardless, I'd be happy with him returning as a plan B or C, he's certainly an upgrade from Boulware or fucking Corby Meekins.

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I was listening to the Fire Tom Herman podcast (since re-branded) and one of the hosts talked about the 12 step program and the impact it might/should have on Sarks life/career.  Apparently the host has worked a little bit in addiction/recovery and at least has a bit of an idea of what hes talking about on this subject.

The gist of it was that going through and completing the 12 step program requires you to be introspective to take a look at your life and career and goals and how all of that was impacted by your addiction.  You have to strip away all ego and realize that there things you can not control.  Just a really intensive self-therapy.  A type of therapy that goes beyond just beating addiction.

It requires a kind of self-evaluation that would do wonders for someone like Tom Herman - and likely made a huge impact on Sark as a coach.

The hope would be that he carries over that kind of critical self-evaluation into all areas of his life - including decisions like coaching staff.  Hopefully he doesn't allow things like ego or a lack of self -confidence steer him into making lesser hires because he's worried he might be over-shadowed or challenged.

The initial list is full of names with as much or more experience than him, at big time programs, with big time success.  If he can get just a couple of those names his initial staff will be miles ahead of what Strong/Herman walked onto the 40 acres with.

Off topic note: the name of the show is satire. I know that is taken well here, but boy oh boy do people on twitter not enjoy the name

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 6

36 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I agree, people don't know squat about the staff situation and 9.95ers were all caught so flat footed about the fire and hire that some (FCB) were just throwing out names that were tangetally connected to Sark and had name recognition. Of course those same idiots(FCB) wouldn't have the mental capacity to realize that it is 2000 and Mike Stoops is not a splash hire....

Yep. The Urban or Bust thread clearly demonstrated what insiders know: jack shit. I'll believe staff hires when the school announces them.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

He didn’t like recruiting very much, apparently. Not something you want said about you if you want to stay on this staff. 

I said when we hired him that Boulware is an asshole. I had dealings with him when he was recruiting for OU, and he was unrepentant about his assholishness.

It's OK to be an asshole when you have other redeeming qualities. Boulware never impressed me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That was a response to him specifically saying he didn't want to disabuse (he said disavow but he meant disabuse) anyone of their notions. And then he gave behind the scene info that immediately disabused me of any notion that Sark might have a pulse on putting together a great staff by saying that the Stoops information wasn't 9.95 nonsense and came from Sark or someone close to him. Which, if true, says this guy doesn't get it.  Thus the part about needing someone to sit on him to not make this a colossal fuck up and the guy tasked with sitting on him is also a low grade moron that needed to be sidelined during the hiring process and told not to run with scissors while we put a football helmet on him so he doesn't bang his head into the wall, while the adults at the table have to keep one eye on him by telling him not to eat the elmers glue. Fuck man, all that shit is depressing as fuck.  More depressing than announcing we are hiring a recovering drunk with moderate success at one head coaching gig and epic failure at another.  Which is pretty fucking depressing in and of itself. 

I'm told that the UN is constantly looking for good interpreters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Yep. The Urban or Bust thread clearly demonstrated what insiders know: jack shit. I'll believe staff hires when the school announces them.

Also could be FCB taking money from one of the Stoops to run another bullshit article.  This one to get the regarded Stoops a raise.

2 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

I'm told that the UN is constantly looking for good interpreters. 

I found that way more amusing than I probably should have. I’ve literally LOL’d twice and I don’t know if you are laughing with me or at me. Good job. Would rep but I’m out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I know little about Odom but I’m fucking onboard with that hire until someone smarter than me tells me it’s bad. He’s the dude that had defensive success and made Wake Forest not terrible, right? 

• Hook 'Em 3