Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The role of a defense in modern football is to get enough stops so that your offense can win the game for you. The days of 9-6 contests are largely over unless you play in the Big Ten.

At a place like Texas, we can probably expect a defense to produce winning efforts the majority of the time by putting elite athletes in a position to win through fundamentally sound coaching in a sensible base scheme (with opponent adjustments built in as always). The big matchups are where the elite DCs make their bones by understanding that you win the game by minimizing the advantages of offenses who get their athletes one on one in space.

I think Ash mastered that first part this year but it's still TBD on the second.

3rd down defense and red zone defense are all that matters in modern football.

10 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

The Akina era cemented us as DBU so i would hardly call him a retread.  He's older so it should be questioned if he has the fire/energy to recruit at the level we need but there is no doubt he would be the best DB coach we have had since he left.  He's no dc.

I was reacting to him as a DC. No thanks in that role. As a DB coach sure, he just needs to be bought in fully to the DC's philosophy as he and -iaz never saw eye to eye and it was a shitshow on all fronts.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MoJames said:

I still have a sour taste in my mouth with how he handled Diaz.

Also, he was an awful DC.

I would much rather move on from any Mack coordinators outside of Muschamp (which looks like it won't happen anyway).

Classic case of the old buck telling the new buck to get off my lawn.  I see both sides.  Diaz was in over his head, Duane didn't help.   

Ash hasn't seemed to have all that many years at one stop as  DC to look much at trends.  Still, I think he is worth retaining.  FEI defense rank and change from previous, because convenience.  - down rank, + up rank

2011 Wisconsin - 48 (-2)

2012 Wisconsin - 18 (+30)

2013 Arkansas - 99 (-35)

2014 Ohio State - 14 (+43)

2015 Ohio State - 7 (+7)

2020 Texas - 38 (+16)

Retaining Ash is fine with me, let him get a few new position coaches though.

Not sure Akina as a DC is a good idea, he was demoted from Co-DC the last time he was here.  And since then he has been a DB coach, not DC, at all  of his stops.

Edited by El Hornarino
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is not the same Big 12 it was a few years back.  Most of the teams used to be a variation of the air raid whether it was Leach, Briles, Kliff, Holgerson, or ou.  The big 12 has now transformed into a more prostyle spread.  The only real air raid team in the big 12 right now is ou.  Maybe with Cumbie at Tech, they will implement the air raid there now.  So two teams.  Defense should be easier in this league.

Guys like Orlando and Diaz failed here because those air raid teams found a weakness and exposed them.  When every team runs a variation of an air raid attack and you can't stop it, that's how you end up with record setting stats for yards given up through the air and ground.  We don't need exotic blitzes like Manny and Orlando loved to dial.  We need to go back to what Muschamp did.  Defense for us should be taking our elite athletes and forcing the offense to beat us.  Keep it simple for them.  Get bigger and stronger guys and keep them in a base/nickel formation.  Build your defense to take away the run with a solid 4 man pass rush in throwing situations and use your corners to press.  Force the QB to have to throw the ball while the WRs are trying to beat press coverage.  This is essentially what Ash did and you can see the improvement week to week.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Agreed, Valai needs to go.  Texas isn't a place for 1st year coaches to learn to be a position coach.  We talk about having all this money, well do something about it.  Go offer Corey Raymond to be the highest paid DB coach in the country and make him say no!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The DB coach situation is interesting. Valai is trash. He was an indefensible hire at the time, although a group of posters here and elsewhere certainly lived up to stereotype and defended the hire anyway. 

"But closetojumping, he's Ash's guy/he's signed a few recruits/trainers love him/whatever the fuck?!?!?"

Indefensible hire. 

1) Ash has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he has no fucking clue what he's doing on the coaching personnel side of things. He hired possibly the worst staff in the modern history of P5 programs when he took over at Rutgers. I mean, way fucking worse than what Herman brought to Texas. He didn't do well replacing guys during his tenure there either. Valai is the guy he insisted on bringing to Texas with him.

2) Valai had one year of on-field coaching experience.

3) Even with Herman's future uncertain, there were myriad better choices for the hire. Herman made better choices at DC and OC while under duress so spare the argument that no CB coach would come to Texas. Same bullshit with WR coach.

So Valai was a putrid hire from the beginning. Now? His unit underperformed this season, even with an improving defense. 

"But CTJ, uh, hello, recruiting?!?!"

Anyone can manage the trainer network and pay bagmen. Valai hasn't really shown some sort of amazing work there. Managing the bags isn't recruiting anyway. Whatever marginal value this guy provides as a recruiter is superseded by everything else and not worthy of defense. 

So, if Sarkisian keeps this guy because "he's a protege/running buddy with Ash" then fuck us running. It isn't like Ash has shown some irreplaceable value. Urban Meyer loves him, Awesome. Urban Meyer also vouched for him as a HC candidate to Rutgers and others. Urban Meyer also had Tim Beck as an OC. He's not infallible. 

If Corey fucking Raymond wants to come to Texas and you can bring a massive transfer or two with him, as well as re-orient the two Texas safeties currently committed to LSU for 2022 and you can get North Shore to give a shit about your school again, you take that guy. And his interest is real. If not him, some other guy with bonafides who will be an animal on the recruiting trail (read: Not Duane Afuckingkina). You know who you don't take? Some fucking JAG who isn't a top 100 coach at their position in the sport of CFB - someone like Jay Valai.

If Valai's our guy at CB, coupled with Sarkisian thinking he could bring Mike Stoops to Texas with a Co-DC title, those are signs that point to this round being like the last two, and the warnings from the clear-eyed cynics at that Huskie site and on the Trojan boards being more than just sour grapes. Let's hope that's not what we witness. I'd like to find a way to be justified in getting excited about a UT football regime for the first time in 11+ years.

I'm with you on all of this. Personally, I think Coleman was way worse than Valai as a hire and a coach and believe Valai has potential. However, if you have the chance to get Raymond, you do it and don't think twice. Let Valai learn at Texas Tech or some place.

*** We've confirmed that Marcus Freeman (Cincinnati DC) was set to interview for LSU's opening at defensive coordinator later this week. Now, Cincy247 reporter Chad Brendel has some more from up in Ohio. Here's what he shared this morning.

"Hearing Freeman will have a Zoom call with ND tomorrow and a trip to LSU is in the works for Wednesday or Thursday. A trip to ND is likely as well this week. Auburn is working hard to get him on campus also. Still working for a feel on what happens with Texas, but they are still in the mix. This all looks to be happening fast."

I'm told by a source in Ohio that Freeman's wife is expected in with him for the interview.

Per Shea Dixon at 247

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If Valai's our guy at CB, coupled with Sarkisian thinking he could bring Mike Stoops to Texas with a Co-DC title, those are signs that point to this round being like the last two, and the warnings from the clear-eyed cynics at that Huskie site and on the Trojan boards being more than just sour grapes. Let's hope that's not what we witness. I'd like to find a way to be justified in getting excited about a UT football regime for the first time in 11+ years.

Stoops just seemed like people looking at who was on the Bama staff/analyst list identifying who had been prior coordinators, then who had been there a little while or whose terms matched up with Sark then identifying them as a potential name

...at least that is what I am hoping happened.

because there is no fucking way that Mike Stoops is a good hire for any program at this point in time.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm with you on all of this. Personally, I think Coleman was way worse than Valai as a hire and a coach and believe Valai has potential. However, if you have the chance to get Raymond, you do it and don't think twice. Let Valai learn at Texas Tech or some place.

I think Coleman was a better hire just because he was seen as a developmental guy not a recruiting guy - plus he had some experience with the room and was seen as a guy who had been a coach before. he has SOME coaching/developmental chops.

Meanwhile Valai had basically no real experience, what little he had was not successful and was a pretty clear "yeah, i know him, lets bring him" guy for Ash

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

*** We've confirmed that Marcus Freeman (Cincinnati DC) was set to interview for LSU's opening at defensive coordinator later this week. Now, Cincy247 reporter Chad Brendel has some more from up in Ohio. Here's what he shared this morning.

"Hearing Freeman will have a Zoom call with ND tomorrow and a trip to LSU is in the works for Wednesday or Thursday. A trip to ND is likely as well this week. Auburn is working hard to get him on campus also. Still working for a feel on what happens with Texas, but they are still in the mix. This all looks to be happening fast."

I'm told by a source in Ohio that Freeman's wife is expected in with him for the interview.

Per Shea Dixon at 247

Do want Mrs. Freeman in burnt orange

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Per Shea Dixon at 247

Convince me on Freeman. His work at Cincy was great this year. However, his resume is thin. To me, it is kind of an unknown how well he will do adjusting to the different offenses he will face in and out of conference. With Ash, you know what you are getting. With Freeman, it could just be flavor-of-the-month.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Convince me on Freeman. His work at Cincy was great this year. However, his resume is thin. To me, it is kind of an unknown how well he will do adjusting to the different offenses he will face in and out of conference. With Ash, you know what you are getting. With Freeman, it could just be flavor-of-the-month.

Just who is courting him should give you an indication of what other coaches think of him.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

The AAC has a variety of offense too

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2020

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I think you're directionally correct here, but I disagree with a few of your thoughts.

1) I can't help myself when I see someone hint at some reason for why Strong wound up with Watson at Texas as anything other than the mere fact that Strong really wanted Watson at Texas. Everything else was theater. You can ask folks who were involved with the AD, the media, or in the coaching realm at the time. Strong was given advice not to bring in Watson, so he acted like he was looking for someone else for 3 weeks and then brought the motherfucker in. I went from being excited, to hopeful, to immediately despondent during Strong's assistant staff assembly. Watching people, good posters even, defend the Watson hiring in the early days was depressing. It was a straight up fucking disaster hire and Strong was flat out willful in making sure it happened. 

2) Herman could have brought in anyone he wanted for his staff and there were coaches clamoring to get on board. Brewster, who knows him, made it explicitly clear that he'd be interested in coming back to Texas. Herman not only showed no interest, he touted that as a story to make his staff assembly sound like the best and the brightest. Same is true for Traylor. Traylor wanted to stay at Texas. He knew Herman for what he is, but wanted to make it work because of how he viewed his future if he could make it work at the school. I can't remember if Herman just obviously mailed-in the interview with Traylor or was even more dismissive and didn't give him one, but either way, Traylor fucking despised the guy upon his arrival. That isn't because he was fired. It's because of the way he was handled on the way out and the way Herman treated everyone when he showed up at Texas. 

So I hope you're right regarding Sarkisian's reach, but the job itself could have created far better outcomes for both Strong and Herman if they weren't fucking idiots in each of their own rights.

To me, everything hangs in the balance with the Sarkisian hire over the next two weeks. If he gets the staff even half right, with the talent on hand, he's off and running. If he can't flex his network and the job itself to get at least a few excellent recruiters, an excellent OL coach, and an excellent DC, we'll be here in 3-4 years or the middle of 2022 after he flames out from the pressure coupled with on-field failings and a firing after missing practice while he's hungover in bed with a coed. 

Nothing for nothing but getting fired for being hungover in bed with a coed instead of being at practice is a lot better reason/way to get fired than what Herman just subjected himself to.  Just saying.  

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Freeman is a stud

7 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Just who is courting him should give you an indication of what other coaches think of him.

Yup. 

Outside of Ash, Hutzler and Drayton being on the potential keep side, is there anyone else those who are a bit further inside the program would like to be considered retained?

Hand and Valai considered out by the board. Many are very opposed to keeping Giles. Any feel on the rest of the bunch?

Jay Boulware
Andre Coleman
Mark Hagen
Mike Yurcich
Yancy McKnight

Just now, MoJames said:

Outside of Ash, Hutzler and Drayton being on the potential keep side, is there anyone else those who are a bit further inside the program would like to be considered retained?

Hand and Valai considered out by the board. Many are very opposed to keeping Giles. Any feel on the rest of the bunch?

Jay Boulware
Andre Coleman
Mark Hagen
Mike Yurcich
Yancy McKnight

All gone and all will be upgraded. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I am assuming the staff hires won't start till after the MNC game? Which leaves us about 3 weeks to flip some dudes in this class. 

I think the first outside hires will happen within the next 2-3 days so those guys can get on the recruiting trail. Anyone coming along from Bama will happen after the NC game of course. Also the retainer coaches will be decided in same 2-3 day period. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I am assuming the staff hires won't start till after the MNC game? Which leaves us about 3 weeks to flip some dudes in this class. 

Yes and no. I don't see how Sark is going to find the time to interview guys but he needs most of them in place immediately after the NC game.

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

Stoops just seemed like people looking at who was on the Bama staff/analyst list identifying who had been prior coordinators, then who had been there a little while or whose terms matched up with Sark then identifying them as a potential name

...at least that is what I am hoping happened.

because there is no fucking way that Mike Stoops is a good hire for any program at this point in time.

I don’t want to disavow anyone of their illusions, as I’m learning more each day to cherish mine, but that’s not how his name got on the list. The list that was immediately released by IT wasn’t them spitballing and was given by a source close-ish to Sark. Same dude nailed the fact that Sark was the guy and a few of us dismissed him for being a honk because of it. 

We’ll see how close that list comes to reality, but it’s different than the random names that have just been floated since then. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I was going to make a joke about wanting to pull Boyd Epley’s corpse from the dustbin and fire up the Nebraska livestock growth hormone injection work from the 80’s/90’s into the program. Then I looked him up and that dude is alive and just fucking retired from Nebraska last summer. Nevermind. 

He was on the Mad Dog fake it since you made it retirement while in office plan. 

5 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Jay Boulware
Andre Coleman
Mark Hagen
Mike Yurcich
Yancy McKnight

Jay Boulware -remember when Charlie kept Chambers for his Texas recruiting ties here?  I think we could do better but I see the logic.
Andre Coleman-nothing against Andre, but I think we can upgrade here.
Mark Hagen- same as Andre
Mike Yurcich-I actually think Mike is a good OC but Sark is going to run the offense.
Yancy McKnight-when was the last time we had a good S and C guy?  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t want to disavow anyone of their illusions, as I’m learning more each day to cherish mine, but that’s not how his name got on the list. The list that was immediately released by IT wasn’t them spitballing and was given by a source close-ish to Sark. Same dude nailed the fact that Sark was the guy and a few of us dismissed him for being a honk because of it. 

We’ll see how close that list comes to reality, but it’s different than the random names that have just been floated since then. 

Hopeful optimism:  Maybe Sark's still in the brainstorming phase and no idea is a bad idea even if its a horrible idea?

Also, how do you feel about Ash after the defensive improvement this year?   I remember you hating the Ash and Valai hires....

5 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Jay Boulware
Andre Coleman
Mark Hagen
Mike Yurcich
Yancy McKnight

None of those guys are keepers. Giles and Drayton shouldn’t be either, but Drayton will because of his resume and Bijan. 

Carrington would be a good guy to keep, and I actually liked a lot of the personnel department evals, especially for jumbo athletes, but I doubt Sark will keep those guys either. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

To me, everything hangs in the balance with the Sarkisian hire over the next two weeks. If he gets the staff even half right, with the talent on hand, he's off and running. If he can't flex his network and the job itself to get at least a few excellent recruiters, an excellent OL coach, and an excellent DC, we'll be here in 3-4 years or the middle of 2022 after he flames out from the pressure coupled with on-field failings and a firing after missing practice while he's hungover in bed with a coed. 

You make is sound like getting $10 million or so to do that last thing is a negative. 

I think Ash did some more interesting things as the season went on, once he figured out he had no base 4 pass rush. Of course, he wasn't helped out by playing 2 guys over weight in the interior that could cause havoc 30 pounds lighter. It would be interesting to know if really thought Ojomo at DE was a good idea. For all the hoopla of going to a 4 down look, it seemed it was more a 3-3-5 base look. Where Ossai was solely responsible for generating the pass rush with just 4 rushers, and really it was just him because Graham was never good at inside pass rush, Ojomo was useless outside and Coburn/Sweat were stripped of their athleticism. 

So yes, I think the defensive staff needs a complete reset, outside of Hultzer as the one position that showed growth last season was LB.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Jay Boulware
Andre Coleman
Mark Hagen
Mike Yurcich
Yancy McKnight

Boulware seemed like he sucked as he kept trotting out Brewer vs Wiley as starter. (Unless TH forced this to happen)

Coleman - meh - He kept WR sets with slow possession guys in 5 wides all the time

Hagen - DL never played to their full potential so I would be fine sacking him

Yurcich - let him go if Sark is calling plays and get someone who is better recruiter for role

McKnight - can GTFO - team was always injured and many of them seemed due to lack of flexibility - seemed like a classic meathead S&C coach

I guess I am in the "fire all these fuckers" camp overall. Drayton parked Bijan on the bench and had inexplicable RB rotations in terms of carries etc, Hand sucks ass, Valai never should have been here & Giles has been asleep for 10 years.

Let's start fresh with the best staff in America vs a bunch of shit.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Swig GIF by Animal Kingdom on TNT

29 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Freeman runs a 3-3-5 defense with smaller players. Are y'all sure you want to bring that here to Texas?

Jay Boulware
Andre Coleman
Mark Hagen
Mike Yurcich
Yancy McKnight

Hutzler is really the one that would make you say, “Really, you’re not even going to offer him a chance to stay on?” with the possible exception of a DC hire also having a LB coaching position/background. Drayton too I guess but that’s really just to keep Bijan happy.

Ash could be in that category depending on who you replace him with but now that we’re past the Mike Stoops thing (seriously, strike one for Sark there) the other names out there all seem reasonable enough.

The rest of them range from take ‘em or leave ‘em to gtfo.
  • Hook 'Em 1