Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

There's no way we hire Gideon before we have figured out who the DC is going to be, right?

Not if they’re just bringing him in for special teams/recruiting. He’d be a pretty underwhelming DB coach hire. Probably will consolidate to one DL coach or one DB coach to make the numbers work on staff.

Running a 3-3-5 base would be a moronic move by Sark. Unless we bring in Venables who has an outstanding reputation (and years of film and experience to prove it), that would be stupid. I think Arnett is a good coach, and I admit I haven’t watched a ton of his teams mainly just SDSU a bit when he was there, but him saying he is willing to run a different scheme based off players does not have the same weight as being successful running different schemes. Now he may prove that down the road, but he hasn’t yet. It is a liability in recruiting, no elite d lineman want to run it, and no elite college programs run it (Clemson doesnt count for many reasons (flexbility, reputation, film, recruiting, Venables). We have just seen (excluding all the other good teams that successfully run it each year) with Ash the benefits of a pass rush with 4 down (idc if 3 DL and 1 LB or 4 DL) and that was without an offseason and only one year of film. The game is won in the trenches and if we can recruit elite lineman which we should be able to, that is my opinion for the best way forward. 3-3-5 may win you some games, but it ain’t the path to an elite team. Ash, Odom, Muschamp are all amazing options IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, TexasFan21 said:

DC is not the position where you worry about recruiting. You find the best coach possible and let the assistants pick up the weight in recruiting. 

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Ok, recent from Football Scoop

With Milwee set to come aboard, the new-look Texas offensive staff is set to look like this, according to FootballScoop sources and media reports:

• Kyle Flood: Offensive coordinator/offensive line
  • AJ Milwee: Quarterbacks
  • Stan Drayton: Running backs
  • Holmon Wiggins: Wide receivers

Question is, who will be an elite recruiter for the offense??

hopefully our TE coach will be. I’m still hoping we get someone better than Wiggins. I’m not sold on him yet, and since we have once again chosen to not have a rain making RB coach, it would be nice to have that at TE and WR. 

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't think my ST coach would be my go to recruiting extraordinaire in the first place, so I'll cut him some slack for now until it's reveiled he's gonna play a larger role in the recruiting game. 

Most guys are TE/ST coaches and tend to be elite recruiters. He needs tin be a great recruiter even moreso if he’s not going to be coaching a position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

they were a 50th percentile defense. they went from one of the worst defenses in the country to a decent one all things considered
sorry if you want to argue what the definition of the word is is.
were they a good defense? no. did i ever say they were? no.
don't use bad underlying data to make assumptions and conclusions.
don't act like you know more than you (clearly) do around here because people are going to call you out.
don't talk shit and use lazy metrics to back up your shit talking.
don't ever use the term "next gen stats" again, it makes people think you are either about 90 or don't know jack.

Lmao, lecturing me on stat terminology, just how big a nerd are you?

Let’s do an exercise using your next gen, sorry, I mean advanced analytics, and solve this query.

Take the width of your vagina, divide that by the circumference of your mouth and now give us the Skill-Interactive Earned Run Average of how many trains get run on you at truck stops every Saturday night.
  • Fuck You 7

33 minutes ago, NoName said:

1) next gen stats? what is this an NFL broadcast? no you don't know what they are or you wouldn't ask in the first place what was better to use then backpeddled non stop ever since asking. also you wouldn't have used total points in the first place or started calculating points per yard or PPD - you would have just looked those up somewhere.

2) the 2020 arkansas defense was not "awful" - they were not good but he literally took them from one of the worst defenses in the country in 2019 to an "average"-ish defense (67). for comparison the Texas defense was #40 in DFEI in 2020 and 54 in 2019.

3) he literally moved them from 109 to 67. not 120 to 100, 109 to 67.

4) his defensive ranking history is here and was discussed yesterday

while he was a DC at Mizzou his teams averaged a 16 ranking overall in DFEI

5) you are a dumb motherfucker who deserves to be negged back to the stone age.

you clearly think you are some kind of intelligent human being, but then you spout off bullshit and backpeddle when called out on it. i fully expect you to say next that it was just a prank or you were intentionally trolling.

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47zk74bhcbz7awfny6s

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Highbp said:

Running a 3-3-5 base would be a moronic move by Sark. Unless we bring in Venables who has an outstanding reputation (and years of film and experience to prove it), that would be stupid. I think Arnett is a good coach, and I admit I haven’t watched a ton of his teams mainly just SDSU a bit when he was there, but him saying he is willing to run a different scheme based off players does not have the same weight as being successful running different schemes. Now he may prove that down the road, but he hasn’t yet. It is a liability in recruiting, no elite d lineman want to run it, and no elite college programs run it (Clemson doesnt count for many reasons (flexbility, reputation, film, recruiting, Venables). We have just seen (excluding all the other good teams that successfully run it each year) with Ash the benefits of a pass rush with 4 down (idc if 3 DL and 1 LB or 4 DL) and that was without an offseason and only one year of film. The game is won in the trenches and if we can recruit elite lineman which we should be able to, that is my opinion for the best way forward. 3-3-5 may win you some games, but it ain’t the path to an elite team. Ash, Odom, Muschamp are all amazing options IMO. 

There are plenty of 3-3-5 base schemes that recruit d-linemen with on problem.  It's how they are used not the alignment.  Orlando used them as spaceaters and we got killed on it, but that was his scheme not the 3-3-5 itself.  I prefer 4 down linemen, but it isn't simply a matter of 3-3-5 can't recruit elite dlinemen.

4 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Lmao, lecturing me on stat terminology, just how big a nerd are you?

Let’s do an exercise using your next gen, sorry, I mean advanced analytics, and solve this query.

Take the width of your vagina, divide that by the circumference of your mouth and now give us the Skill-Interactive Earned Run Average of how many trains get run on you at truck stops every Saturday night.

Tree Fiddy?

Edited by TheAuditor
  • Like 1

I wonder if they would make Gideon special teams and nickel backs coach with an additional outside CB coach and sole DL coach? Or NB coach with CB and S intertwined? I would love Gideon for special teams but I don’t see the fit with him as TE coach

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't think my ST coach would be my go to recruiting extraordinaire in the first place, so I'll cut him some slack for now until it's reveiled he's gonna play a larger role in the recruiting game. 

If we get some dogs in that can recruit at elite level that Gideon can learn from then the sky is the limit for his career IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just hope we don't have a misbalanced staff with less coaches dedicated to defense again.  I'm not mensa, but that didn't seem very smart to me when they expanded the number of on field coaches a few years ago, especially since Herman was involved on that side of the ball as well (as will Sark obviously)

TFB

The Arkansas players have been tweeting out pictures of coach Odom which would seem to imply he is staying at Arkansas. We were able to confirm through an Arkansas source that Odom does plan on remaining at Arkansas.

Source admitted that an offer from Texas may not have been made. And if you read yesterday’s post on the initial report, I mentioned that while I could confirm contact, I couldn’t confirm an offer to Odom. I also noted that I had the sense the report could be CDC working the media to send a message and gain leverage with their actual target.

Given this development, it might be worth going back and readying yesterday’s Odom notes and the accompanying thoughts (here).

But here is one of the relevant part’s from my post, yesterday.

Source close to Odom commenting to me on the report regarding Muschamp turning down the Texas job and Barry Odom being the next target said, “I don’t think he’d (Barry) turn it down but they might be using his name for leverage”.

I asked, “you mean to get Muschamp?” Source said, “Or whoever it is they really want”.

This was interesting because I had heard that behind the scenes there has been talk on the Texas side that offers ground out might have to increase. And, everybody knows Texas has a lot of money. So, while it is speculation, it’s worth considering that Texas may be aware that coaches could be using reports to up the offer and perhaps they’ve begun doing the same.

In other words, I’m not sure how much we take at face value hearing someone has turned down a Texas offer, just yet. Or if this is just negotiations in public.

***So yesterday, Dennis Dodd had this…

And today, he has this…

Again, not saying Arnett isn’t a real candidate, I’m saying he’s not likely one of the top candidates. And this again, may be accomplishing two things, sending a message to Texas’ top DC candidate and making sure Texas has a good back up plan (which Arnett would be).

• Hook 'Em 1

I am liking all the (apparent) hires so far, although they are running out of spots for an elite recruiter (assuming one isn’t already in the fold behind the scenes).

One other thing that strikes me: 

If a) Sark has a couple of good-but-not-national-championship years and then b) Saban retires there’s a good chance we end up competing with Bama for his services from that point on.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Uh, if you're exclusively coaching STs, you should be expected to recruit well.

Thankfully Gideon is a pretty good recruiter by most accounts so the point is moot.

7 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

There are plenty of 3-3-5 base schemes that recruit d-linemen with on problem.  It's how they are used not the alignment.  Orlando used them as spaceaters and we got killed on it, but that was his scheme not the 3-3-5 itself.  I prefer 4 down linemen, but it isn't simply a matter of 3-3-5 can't recruit elite dlinemen.

I agree but I just feel like it is stupid to run a base scheme with all kinds of different looks. It is too complicated and hard to execute on, particularly for young players who haven’t spent a couple years learning it. Simplify the game, play sound fundamentals and get after the QB. A DC preaching a bunch of unique looks and formations is a negative in my mind at the college level unless you have a problem getting and developing talent, which hopefully we won’t. Likely a TO problem, but every player was significantly better this year then last year (except maybe Caden but who gives a F that dude was trash outside of his freshman year). Just recruit and develop and let them play. It works and we just got to witness it. 

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Redmen62 said:

I am liking all the (apparent) hires so far, although they are running out of spots for an elite recruiter (assuming one isn’t already in the fold behind the scenes).

One other thing that strikes me: 

If a) Sark has a couple of good-but-not-national-championship years and then b) Saban retires there’s a good chance we end up competing with Bama for his services from that point on.

That is a bridge we'll be happy to cross once we get there.

This is interesting from Football Scoop. Sounds like we're about to start actually acting like the Joneses instead of talking about it. 

Between Sarkisian’s new deal, Texas’ commitment to giving Sarkisian ample resources for hiring his staff and the outgoing costs of terminating Herman & Co., which various reports place at more than $25 million, the Longhorns are committing more than $60 million to its football program in this transition.

Sources told FootballScoop on Tuesday that Sarkisian’s assistant coaches’ salary pool, something key to Sarkisian on the front end of the discussions, would be an unprecedented commitment to hiring top assistant coaches.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Highbp said:

I agree but I just feel like it is stupid to run a base scheme with all kinds of different looks. It is too complicated and hard to execute on, particularly for young players who haven’t spent a couple years learning it. Simplify the game, play sound fundamentals and get after the QB. A DC preaching a bunch of unique looks and formations is a negative in my mind at the college level unless you have a problem getting and developing talent, which hopefully we won’t. Likely a TO problem, but every player was significantly better this year then last year (except maybe Caden but who gives a F that dude was trash outside of his freshman year). Just recruit and develop and let them play. It works and we just got to witness it. 

Ian Boyd wrote a good primer on Barnett's defense from his time at San Diego State: https://www.footballstudyhall.com/platform/amp/2017/7/5/15893384/the-aztec-defender-san-diego-state-rocky-long-3-3-5

The whole '3-3-5' thing isn't an issue. Just play a LB on the LOS to rush the passer and now it's a 4-2-5. Or bring a safety into the box when needed. That's what meant by multiplicity, it doesn't mean make everything complicated.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Ian Boyd wrote a good primer on Barnett's defense from his time at San Diego State: https://www.footballstudyhall.com/platform/amp/2017/7/5/15893384/the-aztec-defender-san-diego-state-rocky-long-3-3-5

The whole '3-3-5' thing isn't an issue. Just play a LB on the LOS to rush the passer and now it's a 4-2-5. Or bring a safety into the box when needed. That's what meant by multiplicity, it doesn't mean make everything complicated.

You're unusually giddy this afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

As I'm still in optimist mode, I love the Gideon hire if only because I'm imagining that he's full of fire and a deep desire to bring a national championship to Texas in order to help erase the memory of the drop. So I'll just go ahead and assume that he's going to work his ass off to do so.

And when he does contribute to a Texas national championship his next Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity is on me.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

The Arkansas players have been tweeting out pictures of coach Odom which would seem to imply he is staying at Arkansas. We were able to confirm through an Arkansas source that Odom does plan on remaining at Arkansas.

Source admitted that an offer from Texas may not have been made. And if you read yesterday’s post on the initial report, I mentioned that while I could confirm contact, I couldn’t confirm an offer to Odom. I also noted that I had the sense the report could be CDC working the media to send a message and gain leverage with their actual target.

Given this development, it might be worth going back and readying yesterday’s Odom notes and the accompanying thoughts (here).

But here is one of the relevant part’s from my post, yesterday.

Source close to Odom commenting to me on the report regarding Muschamp turning down the Texas job and Barry Odom being the next target said, “I don’t think he’d (Barry) turn it down but they might be using his name for leverage”.

I asked, “you mean to get Muschamp?” Source said, “Or whoever it is they really want”.

This was interesting because I had heard that behind the scenes there has been talk on the Texas side that offers ground out might have to increase. And, everybody knows Texas has a lot of money. So, while it is speculation, it’s worth considering that Texas may be aware that coaches could be using reports to up the offer and perhaps they’ve begun doing the same.

In other words, I’m not sure how much we take at face value hearing someone has turned down a Texas offer, just yet. Or if this is just negotiations in public.

***So yesterday, Dennis Dodd had this…

And today, he has this…

Again, not saying Arnett isn’t a real candidate, I’m saying he’s not likely one of the top candidates. And this again, may be accomplishing two things, sending a message to Texas’ top DC candidate and making sure Texas has a good back up plan (which Arnett would be).

whatever they posted from dennis dodd isn't coming through for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

I wonder if they would make Gideon special teams and nickel backs coach with an additional outside CB coach and sole DL coach? Or NB coach with CB and S intertwined? I would love Gideon for special teams but I don’t see the fit with him as TE coach

Zach Arnett has LB/DC coaching experience...

Bama has 5 on Offense, 5 on Defense  (Special Teams is TE Coach)

Defense

• DC/ILB
  • Assoc DC/Safeties
  • OLB
  • AHC/DL
  • CB

So if Sark only hires 1 DL assistant, and keeps Hutzler at LB Coach, Gideon could definitely help wherever needed on defense...

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is interesting from Football Scoop. Sounds like we're about to start actually acting like the Joneses instead of talking about it. 

Hmm, all that earmarked money has to be going somewhere, and it won't be to Millwee and Gideon.

• Haha 1