Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

Tennessee is imploding. We should pick up Tee Higgins for WR. He's a west coast recruiting savant.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Tee-Martin-180/AllTimeRecruits/

I believe you mean Tee Martin, and yes, most people on this board are quite accustomed to Tee Martin as being one of the best bag men.

2 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Not sure blaming a coach for having trouble recruiting to MSU is warranted. As LSU coach Skip Bertman said, "Starkville is an Indian word for trailer park." Along with, "Every time I go to Starkville, I ask for a room without a view." 

Meh... easy to bash MSU... as all the world does but I will say... 

Recruiting at MSU is a challenge I will agree (though we have I believe 3 of the top 10 paid defense players in the league right now) so defense is easier.. but only being at state for 1 year is hard enough to recruit.. but especially during this crazy yea of covid. 

In honest, I would be devastated if he left. Do I think his system is a match for the Big 12 and pass heaby? I dont think so. 

But he did a damn good job this year with what he had to work with. 

Very interested to see who Sark picks, I think he's going to do great things at texas. 

5 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I haven’t calculated your other metrics but using YPP puts us near Alabama at 5.22 per and Arky is still worse at 5.65. I still like defenses that give up fewer points than other teams.

listen guy, using total points given up is a trash statistic across the board. there is a reason total points, yards, etc all are terrible stats and that is because they are going to include things like garbage time stats where you have backups playing or the score is out of hand and teams are playing more basic defenses.

from Brian Fremeau who does FEI

Garbage vs Non-Garbage Possessions

Unless otherwise noted, all ratings and supporting data are calculated only after first filtering out garbage possessions, defined as of February 2020, as follows:

• An offensive possession of two plays or fewer that runs out the clock to conclude the first half and does not result in a turnover, score, or field goal attempt.
  • An offensive possession of two plays or fewer that runs out the clock to conclude the second half with the score tied and does not result in a turnover, score, or field goal attempt.
  • A possession in the second half of a game in which eight times the number of the losing team's remaining possessions plus one is less than the losing team's scoring deficit at the start of the possession.
  • An offensive possession of two plays or fewer by the losing team with a score deficit greater than eight points that runs out the clock to conclude the game.
  • An offensive possession or non-offensive scoring possession by the winning team leading by eight points or fewer at the start of the possession that runs out the clock to conclude the game.

From 2007 to 2019, 10.5 percent of all possessions have been classified as garbage possessions according to these criteria. FBS games have averaged 23.7 non-garbage possessions per game in that span.

2020-02-08+chart+possessions+per+game.fw

additionally, those blanket stats do not take into account the strengths of the other team's offense.

the sub measures that FEI uses for defense are:

DFEI Defense Ratings (DFEI) represent the per possession scoring advantage a team's defense would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average offense. Unadjusted defensive possession efficiency (DPE) is calculated as a function of defensive game splits. Schedule strength is represented by each team's average per possession defensive opponent adjustment (DOA). Touchdown rate (DTD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a touchdown. First Down rate (DFD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a touchdown or at least one first down. Available Yards percentage (DAY) is the total yards surrendered by the defense divided by the total yards available to be earned based on starting field position. Explosive Drive rate (DED) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that average at least ten yards per play. Busted Drive rate (DBD) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that earn zero or negative yards. Turnover rate (DTO) is the percentage of opponent offensive drives that result in a fumble or interception.

im lazy so i just copy/pasted that info vs breaking it out

here are the ksu_FAN stats on a per drive basis through 12/5 (b12 ONLY stats, excludes OOC games if they have one, excludes garbage drives)

basically there is a reason we use things like wOBA or wRC+ to measure baseball players value and success instead of something like Batting Avg or RBIs now - the same with football. using blanket data is a shitty way to measure anything and we have a lot of better options now.
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is Arnett > Ansley?

Don’t know much about Arnett (if only someone would post an article about him) but Ansley has been very underwhelming at Tennessee. However, like Herman with Yurcich, it’s hard to know how much of that is Pruitt micromanaging him. Either way the results have been pretty bad the last two years. 

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's been mentioned. There's some question about whether he's lost his touch a bit, compared with guys like Colbert or Wiggins.

Not sure if you're referring to his recruiting or coaching but he joined a dumpster fire Tennessee program. 

12 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I believe you mean Tee Martin, and yes, most people on this board are quite accustomed to Tee Martin as being one of the best bag men.

Thanks for the correction. Looks like Pruitt is on the way out so I imagine TM will be on the market very soon. 

• Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean, it’s widely documented but okay

So you're going off rumor then. By widely documented you mean information probably distributed by one of the many 9.95 companies that are competing against each other for the niche pool of fanatical Texas fans willing to pay for information about the football team. That information was then picked up by the others as they don't want to be viewed as being left behind and the rumors swell like crazy until people like you say well it must be true because it's coming from all sides. The benefit of fabricating sensationalist stories to maintain interest in a subscription business model is so great there's zero chance that isn't happening. 

So ask yourself if Herman was this giant asshole personality who rubs everyone raw then why did he get an extension? Surely they wouldn't do that so early and eagerly to a guy who's that bad. Also, why didn't that information come up about him from his time elsewhere before he arrived? A guy just doesn't become a giant asshole starting in his 40s. 

This is a perfect example of why I said in the other threads that the 9.95 rumor mill garbage business is a pure leech on your program's ability to maintain success. They start rumors that get circulated widely because there's so many of them in this echo chamber and it gets to people like you who believe it without questioning it. And if it gets to you then you know it's getting to recruits and their parents too. 

From all the evidence it appears most likely that CDC made a play for the white whale but fucked up by not doing it completely secretly. Once it became public knowledge Herman was completely neutered and it became impossible to go back to him with any credibility once his bosses were just caught trying to replace him. So they had no choice but to pay the money to replace him with a coach who by all measures seems to be worse in his previous stops as a head coach. A state University paying out what with the new contracts will be around $40 million in frivolous spending in one year during a pandemic when millions in the country are suffering financially. That's just horrible optics and fuck ups of the highest level. 

• Fuck You 10

Just to follow up on the three- vs. four-down front stuff. From a recent Q&A with Arnett:

Cowbell Corner: Upon your hiring, you were of course identified as a “3-3-5” guy. Is that a pretty accurate description of you and your style and what you like to do?

Arnett: I think it’s an accurate description of the personnel we’ve had on the field. You have three guys that are called defensive linemen, three guys that are the linebackers and five (defensive backs). I don’t think it’s necessarily an accurate description of the scheme. If you’re looking at clips of what we did at San Diego State, by no means are we in a 3-3 stack every snap. In fact, there’s probably less of that than other looks. You’d have to ask an offensive guy how they’d break the scheme down and if it’s a 3-3-5 or if it’s something different. For us, it’s just all about trying to maximize the personnel on the field and it was the right combination of guys at San Diego State. We’ll obviously have to get into practice and in fall camp to decide if that’s the right combination of the personnel on the field here.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Ok Vince, why don’t you break it down for us morons how good Arky’s defense was. I will okay close attention to how “points given up” doesn’t matter

total points given up is a shitty metric and thinking it is a good one shows laziness in 2020.

in 2019 Arkansas was the #110 DFEI team in the country, behind even Arkansas State. this was after getting a pretty serious adjustment for their strength of offenses played (#9 SOS basically in the country last year)

they were pretty much in line with Kansas defensively.

7mWrgjlD

the full FEI breakdown for 2020 isn't out yet but with what we do have they were the #67 DFEI team in the country.

from a yards per play they went from allowing 6.77 yards per play on defense (#117 in the country), with 35.1% of plays going for over 7 yards and 24.6% of the plays given up going for more than 10 yards (this last one is 127th of 130 teams in the rankings.) They gave up 3.25 points per drive in 2019 (125 / 130).

in 2020 they gave 5.73 yards per play (#60), with 27.8% of their plays going for 7+ yards and 11.3% of their plays going for 10+ yards (36 / 130.) They were down to 2.63 points per drive (89 / 130)

because i am sure you are going to laugh and say tl;dr here is the part worth reading for you:

they went from one of the worst defenses in the country - see the above list, again those rankings are out of 130 teams - to a decent one. from a 16th percentile defensive team last year almost entirely on the back of their opponents adjustments to the 49th percentile in 2020. this is after bringing in a new DC/system, new coach and not having a normal offseason to install said defense.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Beast said:

WTF does that mean?

People keep bringing up the same position coaches but cycling through DCs, which is back-asswards to how a coaching search would actually go. 

That probably only works with a guy like Arnett who isn't attached to his assistants and would be happy to have some heavy hitting recruiters on his side of the ball.

• Hook 'Em 4

Holy shit you're still stuck in 1980s stat land.

Holy shit, I actually know what next gen stats are and I realize that the totals don’t tell the whole story, Jesus Christ.

What I am saying is that the Arky defense was awful and regardless of any metric you use, and I said I haven’t even looked at those other metrics, that Arky had a shitty defense.

Now if you want to defend Odom and say he didn’t have much talent then fine, but it’s not like he was some wizard moving up defensive rankings from 120 to 100.

Now if next year he moves them up to 30-40 then I give him props. I am genuinely interested in what the next gen stats spit out and where Arky belongs in comparison to us.

I swear to God you next gen guys are easier to piss off than Trump supporters.
  • Fuck You 7

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

For those who are interest in a summarized version of this post, allow me break it down. First there was:

and then pretty much just a fuck ton of this:

tenor.gif?itemid=8880927

heh

people who choose to be dumb as shit deserve to be called out for being dumb as shit.

Just now, texifornia said:

People keep bringing up the same position coaches but cycling through DCs, which is back-asswards to how a coaching search would actually go. 

That probably only works with a guy like Arnett who isn't attached to his assistants and would be happy to have some heavy hitting recruiters on his side of the ball.

Great summation. Arnett doesn’t get the recruits Raymond does and he sure as hell doesn’t get Raymond at MSU. Ash wants his guys like Valai at Texas but Texas wants guys like Raymond. If you think Arnett is similar to Ash in overall scheme and upside but is more amicable to being dictated who his position coaches are then...remake bingo GIF

Roach
Spoiler

PDATED 12:48 PM - I've talked with two sources who indicated Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash is under strong consideration to remain at Texas. From what we know, Sarkisian has talked with several assistants but Ash isn't one of them yet. His fate is still up in the air, but there's starting to be more of a feeling that Barry Odom sticks with Arkansas. Arizona is also targeting Ash should he be released from Texas, but nothing has been decided to our knowledge. Ash would provide staff continuity and lessen the finanical strain of buying out so many assistants. We will continue to monitor this situation as none of the defensive staff have been told for sure what their fate is.
We also continue to hear increasing buzz on Blake Gideon. The former Leander prospect and Texas safety has been making his name in coaching circles since his playing days ended. Gideon is known most for superb special teams coaching, and he's had experience coaching safeties and nickelback

That helps explains why Nickleback sux. Well that, and their from Canada!

6 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

So ask yourself if Herman was this giant asshole personality who rubs everyone raw then why did he get an extension? Surely they wouldn't do that so early and eagerly to a guy who's that bad. Also, why didn't that information come up about him from his time elsewhere before he arrived? A guy just doesn't become a giant asshole starting in his 40s. 

This is a perfect example of why I said in the other threads that the 9.95 rumor mill garbage business is a pure leech on your program's ability to maintain success. They start rumors that get circulated widely because there's so many of them in this echo chamber and it gets to people like you who believe it without questioning it. And if it gets to you then you know it's getting to recruits and their parents too. 

Sometimes there are rumors for a reason.  I've heard from people that worked with him directly that he's a major asshole beginning a few months into his tenure.

So you're going off rumor then. By widely documented you mean information probably distributed by one of the many 9.95 companies that are competing against each other for the niche pool of fanatical Texas fans willing to pay for information about the football team. That information was then picked up by the others as they don't want to be viewed as being left behind and the rumors swell like crazy until people like you say well it must be true because it's coming from all sides. The benefit of fabricating sensationalist stories to maintain interest in a subscription business model is so great there's zero chance that isn't happening. 
From all the evidence it appears most likely that CDC made a play for the white whale but fucked up by not doing it completely secretly. Once it became public knowledge Herman was completely neutered and it became impossible to go back to him with any credibility once his bosses were just caught trying to replace him. So they had no choice but to pay the money to replace him with a coach who by all measures seems to be worse in his previous stops as a head coach. A state University paying out what with the new contracts will be around $40 million in frivolous spending in one year during a pandemic when millions in the country are suffering financially. That's just horrible optics and fuck ups of the highest level. 

He got an extension bc CDC got excited after the Sugar Bowl and it could theoretically help with recruiting with his original contract set to expire in 2-3 years.

It was all there out of Houston. He had public fired with a sports radio host for fuck’s sake. That’s the definition of not a secret.

Herman burned a shitload of bridges with his very public antics at Houston, former players openly dislike him, very few on the current roster willing to defend him, he’s smug and arrogant in public appearances, any anyone associated with Texas without an obvious incentive not to call the sitting HC a dick, does so.

There’s probably something to you whale hunting bit, but that’s a separate point entirely. Maybe if he wasn’t loathed by power brokers at the university that hunt never happens.

And the bit about money is disingenuous and you know it. It’s all funded out of the pockets of crusty old millionaires. If it cost the actual school a dime I’d be with you, but it’s abundantly clear that it doesn’t.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sorry, that's rarely how America works. But you keep rubbing your gaping pussy and whining about shit you don't understand, Wanker. 

Sorry to point out the mixed metaphors, but I don't think you can be a wanker and a gaping vagina.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

1) next gen stats? what is this an NFL broadcast? no you don't know what they are or you wouldn't ask in the first place what was better to use then backpeddled non stop ever since asking.

2) the arkansas defense was not "awful" - they were not good but he literally took them from one of the worst defenses in the country in 2019 to an "average"-ish defense (67). for comparison the Texas defense was #40 in DFEI in 2020 and 54 in 2019.

3) he literally moved them from 109 to 67. not 120 to 100, 109 to 67.

4) his defensive ranking history is here and was discussed yesterday

while he was a DC at Mizzou his teams averaged a 16 ranking overall in DFEI

5) you are a dumb motherfucker who deserves to be negged back to the stone age.

you clearly think you are some kind of intelligent human being, but then you spout off bullshit and backpeddle when called out on it. i fully expect you to say next that it was just a prank or you were intentionally trolling.

I just let people like you tell me what I should believe then I hope on the bandwagon of wanting or not wanting that coach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'd be ok with keeping Ash.  Still not completely sold on him though.  Team showed improvement just by being fundamentally sound and slowing the game down for them.  But I think he needs elite talent (pass rushers and lock down corners) like he had at Ohio State in order to have a championship level defense.  Now if we get some of these names being tossed around as assistant coaches and are truly willing to play the recruiting game on par with SEC teams, then I'm even more comfortable with him running the defense going forward.   

But If we have all this money just ready to be handed out....why not offer Elko $3MM per year for 4 years.  Most thought they had to way overpay to get him (and retain him as well if I recall they already having to bump him up once).  But their ROI looks pretty darn good to me right about now.    Maybe he has no interest and you don't want to let it be known that he turned us down to stay in college station?  But I'd sure like to see what he could do paired up opposite a Sark offense as opposed to what Jimbo rolls out.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Username definitely checks out. Not to burst your bubble of...shit I'm not sure if it's just a run of the mill conspiracy or some flat earth fantasy because you don't understand how things work, but I'll try to keep it short. 

Herman got an extension for two reasons: He just beat GA and appeared ahead of schedule, he had leverage, and Del Conte made a fucking mistake. Humans make lots of mistakes. CDC has shown he is hardly flawless. 

I'm going to stop and laugh out loud at your notion that 995ers are a reason a program can't maintain success. now that I think about it, Mack Brown was really done in by those back-stabbing Judas and Brutus types, not the fact he took 4 years off coaching while cashing a fucking check and showing up to work to watch Antique Roadshow every day. Great one.

I'll ignore the rest of your fantasyworld word soup because if you can't understand that coach's new, and old contracts don't come from the coffers of a state university, period, and have no more effect on jobs and spending during a pandemic than if a billionaire alum decided to buy a new island instead of a HC at his alma mater, well, you're a fucking rock-headed idiot with dipshittery dribbling from your ears because you don't even understand some of the most basic fundamentals of how college football works. OH NOES THE OPTICS. Billionaires weren't going to pony up 50 million dollars to save AD jobs. Sorry, that's rarely how America works. But you keep rubbing your gaping pussy and whining about shit you don't understand, Wanker. 

tenor (13).gif