Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

28 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
45 minutes ago, HenryJames said:
I can’t remember one.

Who was the running back Baylor swiped from us at the last minute in the early 90s? Douglas?

There were red flags before he went to Baylor. He was going to Clemens high school until his mama miraculously got a higher paying job at Judson.

There were red flags before he went to Baylor. He was going to Clemens high school until his mama miraculously got a higher paying job at Judson.
Yeah, I vaguely 'member that. My ex went to converse judson & her younger sister was a cheerleader there when they won state with Jerrod. Their head coach (DB? DW?) was a dirt bag who played the "aww shucks, good old boy" part. Rumor was Douglas's mom went from being a janitor to a nicely compensated file clerk or something to seal the deal to Judson.

I'm sure that pales in comparison to what Baylor did to sign him.

4 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Yeah, I vaguely 'member that. My ex went to converse judson & her younger sister was a cheerleader there when they won state with Jerrod. Their head coach (DB? DW?) was a dirt bag who played the "aww shucks, good old boy" part. Rumor was Douglas's mom went from being a janitor to a nicely compensated file clerk or something to seal the deal to Judson.

DW Rutledge

• Like 1

It would be a loss, but Texas has options in this HS class and has shown the ability to close high value targets in the portal. Despite what Tech thinks, no single non-QB recruit can affect a program. Good for Tech in getting a 5 star, they will still be an afterthought in college football.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Losing Hudson and landing Wingo would be the most un-Mack Brown shit ever. 

But losing Hudson and Bussey but landing Livingstone, Baker, and Hampton would be very Mehringer-like.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Man fuck wat y’all talking about.. its “we don’t need Hudson” until he’s a top 15 NFL pick in the draft!!!  Then it’s, damn how did we miss on Him

we need to get Hudson in the boat!!!! 

Yea yea. Russel shepherd.  Rj Washington etc.  if he’s dumb enough to go to tech than good for him.  Also maybe tech can pay him more 

Texas gaining momentum as top recruits enjoy big recruiting weekend in Austin

Steve Wiltfong

(Texas is squarely in the mix to land blue-chip receiver Ryan Wingo ... )

Spoiler

Texas gaining momentum as top recruits enjoy big recruiting weekend in Austin

Steve Wiltfong

Steve Sarkisian and the Texas staff are starting to heat up on the recruiting trail including landing a pair of commitments from weekend official visitors in Spring Branch (Texas) Spring Valley Top247 receiver Freddie Dubose and Scottsdale (Ariz.) Desert Mountain cornerback Santana Wilson.

“It was great,” Wilson said of his experience. “Austin is a great town and an even better program. The family atmosphere up there is all love. From coaching staff to the people on the streets. You can really feel it. What excites me is the chance to play for Texas and be produced as one of the greats at Texas.”

Wilson had 20-plus offers to consider and chose the Longhorns over Arizona State. Dubose was high on Tennessee and UTSA among others.

Those two verbals saw this 2024 Texas class grow to five, and the Longhorns are trending for a couple more on the 247Sports’s Crystal Ball coming out of the weekend. I logged predictions in favor of Texas for Houston (Texas) Langham Creek tight end Jordan Washington and Converse (Texas) Judson safety Myles Davis.

“Austin was great,” Davis said. “I be up there so much, going this time was just reassuring and just having a good time with the guys and the coaching staff. I’m excited about this place because everyone sees this program trajectory going up, that’s not disputable. They recruit the players they want in the program, not the highly-ranked guys, guys that fit them and have that mentality and I rock with that all the way.”

USC and Texas A&M are the other contenders for Davis.

“UT definitely (number) one,” he said.

Washington’s other favorites include Texas A&M, Arizona State, Alabama and UTSA.

Texas is squarely in the mix to land blue-chip receiver Ryan Wingo after the St. Louis (Mo.) University standout and his parents took an official visit to Austin over the weekend. He was one of three five-stars on campus alongside top-ranked offensive tackle Brandon Baker from Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei and edge rusher Jordan Ross from Birmingham (Ala.) Vestavia Hills.

The Longhorns are battling the likes of Tennessee, Georgia, Michigan and Missouri among many others for Wingo.

“Great visit,” Wingo’s father Ronnie told 247Sports.

“Receivers Caoch Chris Jackson is a great guy that makes the family feel at home and the head coach has been spending a lot of time with me and my wife.”

The Wingo camp is high on Steve Sarkisian’s offense and Ryan was fitting in well with the players on the team.

“He’s smiling a lot and hanging with Xavier Worthy and the other receivers.”

247Sports ranks Wingo as the nation’s No. 2 receiver and No. 7 prospect overall. He has over 40 offers to consider and also got a chance to hang out with and break bread with freshman quarterback Arch Manning during his trip.

Texas has a great shot to land Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain View running back Christian Clark as they take on Florida State, Georgia and Oregon. A source close to Clark likes the Longhorns chances.

Top247 receiver Aeryn Hampton locked in his commitment date for July 7 and he says it’s still “50-50” between the Longhorns and Alabama leading up to that date.

“It was great man,” Hampton said of his latest Texas experience. “I felt wanted and it felt like home.”

Sarkisian and company see Hampton making plays in several facets.

“Them allowing me to play both sides and an opportunity to play early,” he said of what’s catching his eye about Texas.

Tulsa (Okla.) Noah School edge rusher Danny Okoye is feeling Texas coming out of his official visit. So is Orlando (Fla.) Jones’s coveted defensive lineman D'Antre Robinson.

“My experience in Austin was great,” Robinson said. Florida, Georgia, Texas, LSU and Alabama are a few others he likes. “My host was Cedric Baxter we had a good time. He told me he’s happy with making the decision to go there and he really feels like he’s being developed. What excites me about the the Longhorns is that I believe they will be playing for a Natty in the next year or so with all of the young talent they are getting.”

Texas made a big impression on Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco linebacker Khmori House.

“The Texas visit was great,” House said. “Coaches really showed love and seemed very genuine. The atmosphere is unmatched and everything seems surreal. What excites me about Texas is the culture and the connection the players have with each and every coach.

“Texas is a great spot and moved up on the list for sure.”

Goodyear (Ariz.) Desert Edge edge rusher Deshawn Warner and Lafayette (La.) Christian Academy defensive lineman Melvin Hills are two more Texas will be in the middle of it for.

“Texas was extremely great, truly love it here,” Warner said. Oregon State, Washington and Kansas are also contenders. “The thing that excites me the most is probably the fact they they have such a good program and it's only the beginning!”

“My experience was great,” Hills said. “Texas just keep getting better, their program is really the next big thing in football. They have everything you could need. The players ere great and the coaches are too.”

Stay tuned to 247Sports and Horns247 as more reaction comes in.

• Hook 'Em 8

9 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Yeah. Someone probably  got raped. 

8 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Fucking Orangenloods. Obligatory get fucked @TheMailBox357

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It would be a loss, but Texas has options in this HS class and has shown the ability to close high value targets in the portal. Despite what Tech thinks, no single non-QB recruit can affect a program. Good for Tech in getting a 5 star, they will still be an afterthought in college football.

Fuck you assholes for making me rep HtownHorn. ThisIsTheWay.gif. 

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

But losing Hudson and Bussey but landing Livingstone, Baker, and Hampton would be very Mehringer-like.

Hampton is a DB. 

7 hours ago, D3zii said:

Man fuck wat y’all talking about.. its “we don’t need Hudson” until he’s a top 15 NFL pick in the draft!!!  Then it’s, damn how did we miss on Him

we need to get Hudson in the boat!!!! 

I see you’re still dumb as fuck. 

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not sure why the Orangebloods post made Message Board Geniuses. TexAgs literally posts dumber shit every hour. You could say the same about SEC Rant and Tiger Droppings as well.

Because they can’t just post TexAgs shit 24/7. Then it wouldn’t be “Message Board Geniuses” it would be “Texags is Dumb” or “look at TheMailbox”

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Was listening to the IT video from yesterday with Bobby/Scipio and Bobby threw out the suggestion with SMU getting aggressive with NIL and their deep pockets in DFW area that big money Texas alumns in that area getting activated more up there than Houston/Austin donors. Scipio mentioned that our Dallas guys talk a big game but don't deliver as much as the Houston bunch and that this could be a shot across the bow for the Dallas BMD's

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Was listening to the IT video from yesterday with Bobby/Scipio and Bobby threw out the suggestion with SMU getting aggressive with NIL and their deep pockets in DFW area that big money Texas alumns in that area getting activated more up there than Houston/Austin donors. Scipio mentioned that our Dallas guys talk a big game but don't deliver as much as the Houston bunch and that this could be a shot across the bow for the Dallas BMD's

Holy run-on sentence batman. This sentence is basically incomprehensible nonsense. 

Dallas is full of mouthy 30k dollar millionaires. News at 6. Even their actual millionaires drive a 3 series and eat at Chilis. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls