Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Biggins on Baker+timeline

Spoiler

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei offensive lineman Brandon Baker took his final June official visit to Georgia over the weekend.

It has been a crazy off-season for Baker. It seems like he’s been on the road non-stop since January taking unofficial and official visits. This past weekend, he visited Georgia officially, which was his second time on campus this off-season.

“I had another good visit to Georgia,” Baker said. “The biggest difference was spending a lot more time with the coaches. On my unofficial, I watched a practice and wasn’t with the coaches as much.

“This time, I had a whole weeknd to spend with Kirby Smart and the offensive line coaches and it was good to be around them and get to know them all better.”

Baker said it was good to see a different side of Kirby Smart.

“He’s an intense guy on the practice field,” Baker said. “Off the field, he’s very approachable. He’s funny, has a great sense of humor and is really easy to talk with. He’s down to earth and commands respect.

“I like his coaching style and you can see why they’re successful there. He’s very intentional in everything he does and says. He holds everyone to a high standard and demeans excellence and that’s why they win.”

Offensive line coach Stacy Searels and assistant Manrey Saint-Amour are the lead recruiters with Baker.

“I probably talk with coach Manrey more than anyone,” Baker said. “I’m really comfortable with both guys though and the whole staff has always been very welcoming and up front with me.

“The players were great to be around as well. Jared Wilson was my host and we got along really well. With Georgia, it’s a special place. They have a winning tradition and they’re rolling right now and I have a lot of interest for sure.”

Baker’s other official visits this month were to Ohio State and Texas.

“I loved the culture at Ohio State and have a really good relationship with Justin Frye (OL coach),” Baker said. “That was one of the best visits I’ve taken and I love how they do things there and loved the overall vibe.

“Texas is high on my list as well. They always were up there for me, even though I took that late unofficial visit, it was eye opening. Then the official visit solidified why I like them so much.”

He didn't officially visit Oregon but the Ducks have always been high on Bakers list.

"Yeh I didn't need to visit there, I've been to Oregon so many times, I know the campus and the coaches really well," Baker said. "This was a chance to see some schools I don't know as well but I have a great connection with the Oregon staff and I know the campus from and back.

"They have been a top school for me and will continue to be high on my list. I have other schools I like as well and it's going to be a tough decision but Oregon is always going to be up there for sure."

Baker said his visits may not be over and he could take one more in July.

“I really want to see Alabama,” Baker said. “I’ve been talking a lot more the last few months with coach Wolford (OL coach) and they’re pushing me to come out for a visit and that’s something I would like to do. 

“As for a commitment timeframe, right now, I’m looking at sometime in August or September. I think by then I’ll know what I want to do so that’s a good timeframe for me to lock it in.”

Subtitle says one good, one bad

ETA: TFB says it is probably a decision date for this weekend. And that although they've long felt comfortable about JJR, that has changed and they now think Texas may need a hail mary to win the recruitment. 

If that's the case, props to Gideon/TJ for keeping Myles Davis and Josh Lair as options. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Subtitle says one good, one bad

ETA: TFB says it is probably a decision date for this weekend. And that although they've long felt comfortable about JJR, that has changed and they now think Texas may need a hail mary to win the recruitment. 

fucks-sake.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

I know "new shit can come to light" and all that, but everything out there is JJR to Texas and it's not even close....

Maybe he goes Michigan, no idea but that would be weird coming out of last weekend and everything predicting Texas.

Heck the michigan recruiting coverage was basically waving the white flag on JJR before his visit here.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Other schools are allowed to come in over the top on NIL too. And I’m all for Texas adhering to budget discipline, particularly with this long left to go in the cycle. 

I don't doubt that, but it seems like a weird play for Michigan on a recruitment they weren't getting anywhere with. Who knows maybe they're just that desperate at safety. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls