Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

30 minutes ago, horn4life said:

you know, there are some fancy hot dogs out there

spacer.png

Crawfish sausage, Crawfish Etouffee, Sour cream, Onions, Tomatoes, & Creole Mustard.

spacer.png

Sea Dog - Beer-Battered Cod Fish, Onions, Tomatoes, Homemade Tartar Sauce, & Yellow Mustard.

spacer.png

Bacon Werewolf - Smoked Bratwurst, Bacon, Sauerkraut, Dill Relish, Grilled Onions, Tomatoes, & Creole Mustard.

Delicious! images from Dat Dog in new Orleans

Brats on hawaiian roll.jpeg

Just a brat with spicy mustard, and Sauerkraut and mustard.  Figured I would talk about something I actually know! All these were delicious and talented hot dogs! 😉

All of which appear to be a vast improvement over what the University of Michigan serves its recruits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The thing about Texas NIL is the corporate dollar that follows good performance on the field will likely dwarf any larger upfront payment provided by the LSUs and Alabamas of the world. The smartest recruits will realize this fact and bet on themselves for greater wealth in their Sophomore and Junior years.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

you know, there are some fancy hot dogs out there

spacer.png

Crawfish sausage, Crawfish Etouffee, Sour cream, Onions, Tomatoes, & Creole Mustard.

spacer.png

Sea Dog - Beer-Battered Cod Fish, Onions, Tomatoes, Homemade Tartar Sauce, & Yellow Mustard.

spacer.png

Bacon Werewolf - Smoked Bratwurst, Bacon, Sauerkraut, Dill Relish, Grilled Onions, Tomatoes, & Creole Mustard.

Delicious! images from Dat Dog in new Orleans

Brats on hawaiian roll.jpeg

Just a brat with spicy mustard, and Sauerkraut and mustard.  Figured I would talk about something I actually know! All these were delicious and talented hot dogs! 😉

I've been there. Cool spot on magazine st.

If you were part of the pro-Charleston crowd head down to magazine next time you are in Nola.  

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

What about us hiring his trainer wasn’t that a big data point that’s not being talked about anymore?

It wasn’t his trainer. We hired a guy who used to work with the guy who now trains Simmons.

Edited by Hookem2147

16 minutes ago, pacman said:

The thing about Texas NIL is the corporate dollar that follows good performance on the field will likely dwarf any larger upfront payment provided by the LSUs and Alabamas of the world. The smartest recruits will realize this fact and bet on themselves for greater wealth in their Sophomore and Junior years.

I’m sure Auburn, LSU, A&M et al have a few slides on net present value and discounted future cash flows to counter this.

3 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

I’m sure Auburn, LSU, A&M et al have a few slides on net present value and discounted future cash flows to counter this.

Does LSU even have an accounting department? I imagine it is more like Cajun personal finance - Say you have enough ingredients for 3 dishes for a family of 4 - And a booster brings the family crawfish and gumbo - Now how much of your extended family can you invite over?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Does LSU even have an accounting department? I imagine it is more like Cajun personal finance - Say you have enough ingredients for 3 dishes for a family of 4 - And a booster brings the family crawfish and gumbo - Now how much of your extended family can you invite over?

2AAB7D93-603D-491C-B64F-0089EA2D4773.thumb.jpeg.263677fdb8813ae186037618b798229e.jpeg

I guess they are teaching them how to fish and create generational wealth by suiting up for the Tigahs.

The 750k check analogy is killing me. Definitely has never heard of time value of money.

Edited by CashMcCoy
  • Haha 4

Simmons is just so critical to this class because of the current lack of talent at edge. Probably the position with the least amount of natural game changing talent on our defense, and maybe the team?

Vasek is the only one in that current edge group that shows me any real long term potential, and he’s not anything that teams will have to plan around. Color me skeptical that we will ever get any sort of real production out of the rest of that current group. Simmons would start day 1.

Makes me wonder if they’re going to have someone like Anthony Hill play at end out of position just to get him on the field. The only saving grace is that we’re stocked and ready on the interior and at LB and maybe that will open some things up for a subpar group at edge. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The LSU side is looking at the Durham recruitment as indicative of what Simmons is going to do. There is also the possibility that Durham is getting to leverage Simmons' overall brand to elevate his own by announcing around the same time or at the same time. That wouldn't indicate that their going to the same place.

Either LSU is going to drop a massive bag in the way Auburn and Georgia are doing, or the LSU mods are full of shit and just hearing positive shit from the LSU side about how the weekend went. I don't think they have a massive bag to drop and I don't think Simmons is short-sighted. 

The idea that the bag drop would be Texas and that LSU gives better long term for a player is so laughably absurd that it isn't worth the time to address.

To be fair, lots of posters here are looking at what Durham is going to do and them sharing an annoucenment date as indicative of what Simmons is going to do...and another consideration is that maybe Duncanville said "Listen, we'd prefer you announce this stuff ASAP" and they decided to do it together as a school announcement thing ahead of the season. 

If they drop a massive bag, I simply hope Texas gets a chance to counter. 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The best thing to do when anyone uninvolved with NIL and how it’s being managed across all sports at Texas thinks they’ve got an important opinion to offer about how NIL should be handled is 1) reach for their wallet pull out all of the money that they want to give in order to make their thoughts and beliefs on NIL come to fruition and then 2) win all of the recruitments.

If, for whatever reason, the person offering their own NIL opinions can’t front the money relevant to their critiques, then they should 1) think about whether anybody needs to hear their ignorance spoken out loud and then 2) shut the fuck up. 

That’s one way to look at it!

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

The fish theory is stupid. Their AD is not telling coaches in football and gymnastics to "teach a man to fish."

I wish somebody would teach me to fish. I was skunked the last two times out.

Maybe whoever taught Bijan Robinson to fish could also teach Collin Simmons to fish. The LSU guys probably never thought of that.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

The fish theory is stupid. Their AD is not telling coaches in football and gymnastics to "teach a man to fish."

My daughter, who is seven, is also able to figure out the classic "you can have one now, or a hundred if you wait just a bit" routine.

But sure, I can see how that type of analytical thinking from a high schooler is mighty impressive for an LSU grad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Gotta love the logic of “We can teach him how to make money instead of give it to him like Texas. The only reason Texas can give him more money is because they have bunch of grads who make a lot of money to give to the school, and we don’t.” Next governor of Louisiana right there, folks.

• Hook 'Em 3

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The LSU side is looking at the Durham recruitment as indicative of what Simmons is going to do. There is also the possibility that Durham is getting to leverage Simmons' overall brand to elevate his own by announcing around the same time or at the same time. That wouldn't indicate that their going to the same place.

Either LSU is going to drop a massive bag in the way Auburn and Georgia are doing, or the LSU mods are full of shit and just hearing positive shit from the LSU side about how the weekend went. I don't think they have a massive bag to drop and I don't think Simmons is short-sighted. 

The idea that the bag drop would be Texas and that LSU gives better long term for a player is so laughably absurd that it isn't worth the time to address.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

My favorite part of the LSU bit is how they set the story up. It's an obvious, real world apples to apples comparison. 

"You can have 750k now, or 750k every year of your life, including some right now. WHICH ARE YOU GOING TO CHOOSE SEE WE ARE TEACHING MEN TO FISH!!!"

No fucking shit, my 5 year old has mastered that fucking concept. And I'm sure that is EXACTLY the kind of scenario and math that is invovled with Simmons. 

Seriously fucking morons. 

In a related note, and I type this knowing full well that waterhead was attempting to referening "teaching to fish" meaning chances of getting to the NFL, but I can't help myself just out of curiosity.

image.png.2de1b88b83e9878bbe259746b205669d.png

and

image.png.2276b8893e7aaa890f0f19533af68053.png

You know it's 100% factually bulletproof becuase I typed it right into the chrome browser bar. Is a 22% higher starting salary better? Maybe they'll try to counter that there's better industry and job opportunties in Texas versus Louisianna while completely missing that fucking point to rebut. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Simmons needs to talk with Bijan.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My favorite part of the LSU bit is how they set the story up. It's an obvious, real world apples to apples comparison. 

"You can have 750k now, or 750k every year of your life, including some right now. WHICH ARE YOU GOING TO CHOOSE SEE WE ARE TEACHING MEN TO FISH!!!"

No fucking shit, my 5 year old has mastered that fucking concept. And I'm sure that is EXACTLY the kind of scenario and math that is invovled with Simmons. 

In a related note, and I type this knowing full well that waterhead was attempting to referening "teaching to fish" meaning chances of getting to the NFL, but I can't help myself just out of curiosity.

and

You know it's 100% factually bulletproof becuase I typed it right into the chrome browser bar. Is a 22% higher starting salary better? Maybe they'll try to coutner that there's better industry and job opportunties in Texas versus Louisianna while completely missing that fucking point to rebut. 

I really hope coutner becomes a thing…

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

and

You know it's 100% factually bulletproof becuase I typed it right into the chrome browser bar. Is a 22% higher starting salary better? Maybe they'll try to coutner that there's better industry and job opportunties in Texas versus Louisianna while completely missing that fucking point to rebut. 

I don't know, the idea that a senior to be used the rich vs wealthy phrase in a conversation with their father is really convincing to me.

“We’ll teach you how to make that amount every year if you enroll…”

Yes, let’s teach a kid how to fish…for pertinent information:

IMG_0130.thumb.jpeg.a60f7e81dfe4ec1111df2c2c3ae5c12e.jpeg

I’m sure @RollingPresidential loses sleep every night thinking about the path to wealth he chose not to take..

*Syd beat me to it, but the comparison tool might help visual learners understand how fucking stupid that guy’s assertion is.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls