Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

25 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Wait til he finds out there's no such thing as Mt McKinley anymore.

I did know that, but do most non-Alaskans know Denali as a mountain? Most seem to know it only as a national park. What I don't know is why they changed the name.

Edited by Bevo

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Outside of McNeese, Charlotte, and maybe Vandy, I wouldn't bet on them in any games.  They are rolling with Graham Mertz at QB.

Is Rising going to start in 3 weeks?  The backup who had been getting 1st team reps just got injured and is out.

Utah's defense can probably Iowa their way to a win in that game. Florida's o-line is looking real shaky. Rising is supposed to be back, but this is trending to be a very low-scoring affair. 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sucks missing on Corian, Bridges, and Mack, but this can still be a really good DB haul with Black.  I'd assume we will still try to get one more ( unless Hampton is a DB? ).

IMO, Wilson is just as good as the three missed on.  On3 has him a top 100 player in the nation, but everyone else has him as high 3*/4*.  Not sure on the reasoning??  Kids got the NFL genes and the dawg' in him in the same way Brooks is.

Santana Wilson is a very underrated pickup. I love the kid and think he will be a stud. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

Utah's defense can probably Iowa their way to a win in that game. Florida's o-line is looking real shaky. Rising is supposed to be back, but this is trending to be a very low-scoring affair. 

If only JQJ had stuck to QB...

You can bet they'll let him launch a couple off a toss if Rising is out.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Louisiana cornerback Wardell Mack selected Florida this morning. The destination wasn’t a big surprise, and we figured he’d announce in August, but the announcement did come with zero notice. With his commitment to the Gators, it gives us a good chance to analyze Texas’ numbers and needs at the position. 

Long-time readers of Inside Texas know the importance of landing cornerbacks is heightened at UT because of how the staff utilizes the position. Nickel, or Star as the staff calls it, is essentially a third cornerback.  

Thus far the staff has done very well stocking the shelves. That makes it pretty bizarre to see such consternation on Mack going elsewhere. Though, in conjunction with missing on Corian Gipson, it might appear the staff’s back is against the wall. That can be a good thing, like it is with defensive lineman Dominick McKinley.

The people who tend to get too high and too low are definitely doing what they do. But that just means they’re one Kobe Black announcement away from rubber-banding in the opposite direction. Side note: Did you know the highest and lowest points in the contiguous 48 states are 80 miles apart? On IT it’s just one klick.

When looking at the remaining years of eligibility on the current roster, there’s no reason for concern. There’s also still a lot of cycle left and you can be assured Texas will stay on both Gipson and Mack.

CURRENT PLAYERS

Senior Jahdae Barron: He’ll be off the NFL after this season. Once the media catches on to how good he is the staff will have a very good ‘proof of concept’ at Star.  

Senior Ryan Watts: This is his last year at Texas. He’ll get NFL looks, too. The staff landed him from Ohio State out of the portal. Ah yes, the portal.

Junior Gavin Holmes: One year of eligibility after this year. Another portal get. He’s a proven, quality player, and he could very well be CB No. 4 this year. 

Sophomore Terrance Brooks: Two years of eligibility after this season. Likely starter. Likely very good by season’s end.

Sophomore Austin Jordan: Two years of eligibility after this year. Quality player who could start this year at nickel or corner but given the roster he’s CB No. 5 and nickel No. 3. 

Sophomore Jaylon Guilbeau: Two years of eligibility after this year. Quality player who will be Barron’s primary backup. 

Redshirt freshman X’avion Brice: He likely will never be a star at Texas but he’s certainly not out of place.

Freshman Malik Muhammad: Three years of eligibility after this year. There’s a very good chance he starts in 2024 opposite Brooks. He’s going to be good.

Freshman Warren Roberson: Three years of eligibility this year (assuming he doesn’t redshirt). He’s more of a nickel but has also worked at corner.

COMMITTED

Senior Santana Wilson: Stud, could play corner or nickel. High floor, high ceiling. 

KEY TARGET

Senior Kobe Black: Stud. The must-get from Waco has been sold on immediately competing for Watts’ vacated corner role in 2024. He’d play a lot as a true freshman regardless.

CLOSING

Don’t get me wrong, you don’t want to miss on corners like Gipson and Mack. In particular, I liked their ability to fit multiple roles. But, if Texas lands Black to go with Wilson, this is still the best corner class Texas has landed under this staff.

Gaming it out a year or two, Texas is in an enviable position of having Brooks and Muhammad as two high end corners with talented players directly behind them. If Brooks becomes a three-year player, what do you think that will do for recruiting?

It’s not just corner, nickel is also in a good position for the foreseeable future with Guilbeau, Jordan, and Roberson. The youngest player, Roberson, probably has the most athletic upside.

Texas doesn’t ‘need’ more than two corners this cycle, assuming those two are Wilson and Black. However, I’d still bet on the staff signing three just because they can.

Jesus fucking Christ this man is a cunt. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

While I like and subscribe to IT, this new information came to light stuff is getting a bit tiresome. Gipson, Myles Davis, and Mack are all L’s. 

Don’t post cryptic statements in the prospect thread and come back with a column telling us not to worry. Mack didn’t lose his spot to some surprise commitment.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Watts has a shot to wind up in the NFL, but he's currently the 4th best CB on the UT roster. He's going to "start" but the other will play more than him if they all stay healthy.

This is the part that gets confusing - I was speaking with a football intern and he said Gbenda will start because players like Ant Hill don't know the defense well enough and aren't physically developed compared to an upper classman. I didn't argue, I just listened. I just find it interesting that it doesn't coincide real well with what we hear in practice reports. Similarly, Finkley isn't picking up the defense as well as Burke so that's the main reason he is a little behind.

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While I like and subscribe to IT, this new information came to light stuff is getting a bit tiresome. Gipson, Myles Davis, and Mack are all L’s. 

Don’t post cryptic statements in the prospect thread and come back with a column telling us not to worry. Mack didn’t lose his spot to some surprise commitment.

None of the mods had picks in for Mack and I know Gerry in particular had been saying for a month that Mack’s preference seemed to be Florida while the rest of the family may have preferred Texas.

They’ve taken their L’s but I don’t think Mack is one of them.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This is the part that gets confusing - I was speaking with a football intern and he said Gbenda will start because players like Ant Hill don't know the defense well enough and aren't physically developed compared to an upper classman. I didn't argue, I just listened. I just find it interesting that it doesn't coincide real well with what we hear in practice reports. Similarly, Finkley isn't picking up the defense as well as Burke so that's the main reason he is a little behind.

Football intern seems to be reading the roster like one contiguous position gro....nevermind. 

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

None of the mods had picks in for Mack and I know Gerry in particular had been saying for a month that Mack’s preference seemed to be Florida while the rest of the family may have preferred Texas.

I should have phrased that better. The L’s are on the staff. What I don’t like is IT making excuses/moving the goal posts every time Texas doesn’t land a player they want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'd say Burke having arms that are like 30" longer than Finkley's also plays a part

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Signed, home schooled non-SAT takers!

My issue is ADHD. I can easily miss important words by doing too many things at once. In a chem e class, I worked from back to front on a 10 question final and checked all my answers as I went along. I got about 90% finished with the first question and ran out of time. I thought I made a 96 or so - It wasn't until I received my final grade that I found out that the first question was worth 50% and was a gimme as it was solved in the final review (which I didn't attend).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Honestly I think a few posters here are still assigning them an L on Colin from when it felt things were going LSU's direction on that one

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I should have phrased that better. The L’s are on the staff. What I don’t like is IT making excuses/moving the goal posts every time Texas doesn’t land a player they want. 

Ah, got it. I don’t disagree with their assessment that a Wilson/Black CB class would be the best one we’ve pulled in a while, but the staff absolutely did not plan on just signing 2 CB’s so that part is an L.

5 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I'd say Burke having arms that are like 30" longer than Finkley's also plays a part

He said Finkley was a better athlete. I should have probably pushed back to get more detail, but I was a little behind with work.

IT update on Wingo

Spoiler

By: Justin and Eric

The talented wide receiver from St. Louis has always insisted his recruitment will play out into December. As you well know, timelines are subject to change. Wardell Mack was going to take his time. Colin Simmons was going to take his time. Dominick McKinley, Kobe Black, the list goes on and on.

Ryan Wingo has been perhaps the most steadfast in saying it would be a longer timeline, however we think a decision before the season is most likely at this point. In fact we've heard it's going to happen, we're just not sure if he'll change his mind again.

Right now this is a head to head between Texas and Missouri. Barring the unforeseen, it will stay that way. Recently, both schools have demonstrated the ability to land a hotly contested five-star of late. Texas gained a commitment from Colin Simmons, while today, Missouri landed Williams Nwaneri over OU, Georgia, and pretty much the rest of the country. 

So, Missouri has gas pedal on a recruit like Wingo. Texas does, too, and with Micah Hudson truly looking like he's going to wait while leaning towards Alabama on the Plains, Wingo is a must-get at the position. 

Me and Justin have both run checks on this recruitment and feel Texas is right in the thick of it. If Wingo sets a date, like Simmons did, this recruitment could hit a whole other gear on the roller coaster. 

Bottom line: Decision probably comes this month. Texas vs Missouri. Both sides have confidence. 

Personally, it's hard for me to see Texas losing a head to head against Missouri but stranger things have happened in the NIL era. Like OU leading for a long time on Nwaneri, partly due to his head coach being an OU grad, and then losing a head to head against Missouri.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

IT update on Wingo

Reveal hidden contents

By: Justin and Eric

The talented wide receiver from St. Louis has always insisted his recruitment will play out into December. As you well know, timelines are subject to change. Wardell Mack was going to take his time. Colin Simmons was going to take his time. Dominick McKinley, Kobe Black, the list goes on and on.

Ryan Wingo has been perhaps the most steadfast in saying it would be a longer timeline, however we think a decision before the season is most likely at this point. In fact we've heard it's going to happen, we're just not sure if he'll change his mind again.

Right now this is a head to head between Texas and Missouri. Barring the unforeseen, it will stay that way. Recently, both schools have demonstrated the ability to land a hotly contested five-star of late. Texas gained a commitment from Colin Simmons, while today, Missouri landed Williams Nwaneri over OU, Georgia, and pretty much the rest of the country. 

So, Missouri has gas pedal on a recruit like Wingo. Texas does, too, and with Micah Hudson truly looking like he's going to wait while leaning towards Alabama on the Plains, Wingo is a must-get at the position. 

Me and Justin have both run checks on this recruitment and feel Texas is right in the thick of it. If Wingo sets a date, like Simmons did, this recruitment could hit a whole other gear on the roller coaster. 

Bottom line: Decision probably comes this month. Texas vs Missouri. Both sides have confidence. 

Personally, it's hard for me to see Texas losing a head to head against Missouri but stranger things have happened in the NIL era. Like OU leading for a long time on Nwaneri, partly due to his head coach being an OU grad, and then losing a head to head against Missouri.

Spiegelman picking Mizzou today ain’t great. He’s pretty solid and nationally focused so he really doesn’t have an agenda. 

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He said Finkley was a better athlete. I should have probably pushed back to get more detail, but I was a little behind with work.

Finkley is clearly a better athlete at the moment. Dude is built like a brick shithouse while Burke looks like someone zoomed-in on the kid who mows my lawn.

The problem is that Finkley is too short for the position and is maxed out in terms of size and strength. Burke may still turn into a monster, and has the requisite length to keep the tackle's hands off him in the pass rush. That's not a knock on Finkley - thank God he came in as a more finished product. He has a high floor and was a great addition to a position of need last season. But his upside is nowhere near Burke's.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

To good not to bring back up

Screenshot_2023-07-30-09-04-39-22_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.ff16155eb8f742f7b996d732b6fa7821.jpg

Every time their mods push to try and manufacture some momentum, it ends up being the go to list of hilarity for the remainder of the cycle. Liucci did it last year with his "You want some names?" post. And of course there is the 0-16 Hamm classic. Brauninger seems like the latest in a long line of fails. 

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

This man's CBs somehow have less value than the average surly fucker's CBs.

Every time I see a Ketchum CB pick in favor of Texas, I feel like we're screwed. It's not intentional. It's instinctive. I wish they'd take that ability away from his fat ass.

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Texas is in on guys that are also being seriously recruited by SEC powers, Clemson, OSU and Michigan. They're just going to lose some of those fights. I think they absolutely would have taken all 4 of Mack, Black, Wilson and Gipson and probably felt like they needed 3 of them. If they wind up with 2, I think they get aggressive in ensuring that someone "decides" to enter the portal from a G5 or ACC school, and/or they really dig in on trying to find a late riser in the 2024 class. 

I'm not convinced that Mack sticks with UF if they're 4-8 this year and there's a lot of talk about Napier being on hot seat. In year 2, if your record is worse than it was in year 1, that's an ominous sign.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Every time their mods push to try and manufacture some momentum, it ends up being the go to list of hilarity for the remainder of the cycle. Liucci did it last year with his "You want some names?" post. And of course there is the 0-16 Hamm classic. Brauninger seems like the latest in a long line of fails. 

Looking at that list, it seems like they have a huge lead for Bussey and Ivy. No clue who Xavier Atkins is, so he's probably a realistic get for them as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

IT update on Wingo

Hide contents

Alabama is a shithole, but they've done nothing to deserve being mentioned in the same breath as Tech. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Every time I see a Ketchum CB pick in favor of Texas, I feel like we're screwed. It's not intentional. It's instinctive. I wish they'd take that ability away from his fat ass.

Texas is in on guys that are also being seriously recruited by SEC powers, Clemson, OSU and Michigan. They're just going to lose some of those fights. I think they absolutely would have taken all 4 of Mack, Black, Wilson and Gipson and probably felt like they needed 3 of them. If they wind up with 2, I think they get aggressive in ensuring that someone "decides" to enter the portal from a G5 or ACC school, and/or they really dig in on trying to find a late riser in the 2024 class. 

I'm not convinced that Mack sticks with UF if they're 4-8 this year and there's a lot of talk about Napier being on hot seat. In year 2, if your record is worse than it was in year 1, that's an ominous sign.

but what about year 5?

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Bevo said:

My issue is ADHD. I can easily miss important words by doing too many things at once. In a chem e class, I worked from back to front on a 10 question final and checked all my answers as I went along. I got about 90% finished with the first question and ran out of time. I thought I made a 96 or so - It wasn't until I received my final grade that I found out that the first question was worth 50% and was a gimme as it was solved in the final review (which I didn't attend).

I'm ADHD as a mofo. 

But I get it, I too could confuse contiguous with cunnilingus, but the ladies tend to like continuous cunnilingus... but if you do non-contiguous continuous cunnilingus, you end up tasting some shit...  😉

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls