Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

42 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Looking at that list, it seems like they have a huge lead for Bussey and Ivy. No clue who Xavier Atkins is, so he's probably a realistic get for them as well.

There was another section of that post that wasn't shown that had a bunch of guys who they "had a shot with" from the pool party, and there were almost zero realistic names on there. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Whew, you're right, way too much actual good news. We need more talking about Tom Herman's staff and Mack Brown's top 10 most excruciating losses, especially NC State.

Quick, post a commit to some random school of someone I've never heard of that we once offered

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Looch concedes aggy has almost no chance with Simmons, but Brauny gives his subs unfounded hope. Who’s running things at TexAgs?

Had Simmons gone to the pp Looch would have been parroting the same, the pp is near mythological in cult circles.

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hope I'm wrong, but this Wingo moving up his timeline news has Mizzou written all over it IMO.

Heh he can commit, start earning money, then return that money after he gets more UT money.

Kavannaugh ruined college football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

At this point Im like fuk it let Wingo go to Mizzu for 8 catches for 67 yrds… maybe a td or 2….. helluva fish yr with no name qb…. but gotta rep the hometown.   He can transfer to replace Worthy and his 40+ for 1200yrds and 14 tds after Worthy gets paid in the league in the portal after he figures out whats up!

Edited by Rholl
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why does he have to commit to a school to start getting his NIL?

Per Missery laws he can get paid tomorrow,  application for student loans is enough to give the school legal protection. That is why WN did it on monday as well. Something must have ponied up a few grand that they could give these juniors tomorrow as an advantage.

Bill impacts recruiting

Most importantly, though, the state’s revised NIL law allows high school recruits to enter into NIL deals and start earning endorsement money as soon as they sign with in-state colleges, pending Parson’s signature in the coming weeks.

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/missouri-nil-law-allows-high-schoolers-to-get-paid-as-soon-they-sign-with-in-state-school/

But that does not mean much if the total sum is well below peers, he can just return that 0 interest loan and flip to UT on early signing period. In my opinion OU was freaking out cause they were third for WN, if he flips he is Georgia bound.

Edited by linux
  • Fuck You 2

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why does he have to commit to a school to start getting his NIL?

Missouri state law says that if he commits to a school and signs his financial aid agreement(I think this is the document and not his NLI) he can start earning NIL in HS as long as he's committed to a school in their state.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Blue-chip buzz: Texas closing in on another 5-star; Terry Bussey's decision date; David Stone nears commitment

Steve Wiltfong (247Sports)

"Texas has been considered the favorite for Waco (Texas) Connally five-star cornerback Kobe Black for much of his process. Now the buzz is overwhelming."

"As things stand now, a verbal from Black would take Texas up to No. 14, and a source says this one could come to an end sooner rather than later."

Spoiler

Blue-chip buzz: Texas closing in on another 5-star; Terry Bussey's decision date; David Stone nears commitment

Steve Wiltfong (247Sports)

Texas has been considered the favorite for Waco (Texas) Connally five-star cornerback Kobe Black for much of his process. Now the buzz is overwhelming.

After talking to a source with knowledge of the recruitment, on Monday afternoon I finally logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of the Longhorns for Black, who ranks as the nation’s No. 2 cornerback and No. 26 prospect overall. Earlier in the day, 247Sports national analyst Mike Roach predicted Black to Austin.

Texas is battling Ohio State, LSU, Texas A&M and Oregon, but the Longhorns have been the pulse of this recruitment.

Steve Sarkisian and his staff are tracking for another elite defensive target after adding five-star edge rusher Colin Simmons to the fold last week. Simmons might be the most explosive and ferocious edge player in the class and will be a major addition to a defensive that has also seen the likes of former top-ranked linebacker Anthony Hill, Swiss Army Knife Jelani McDonald, talented cornerback Malik Muhammad, defensive end Colton Vasek, linebacker Justice Finkley and cornerback Terrance Brooks recruited over the prior two cycles.

Sarkisian and his staff are working towards a third-straight top-five recruiting class, currently sitting at No. 18 in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings. As things stand now, a verbal from Black would take Texas up to No. 14, and a source says this one could come to an end sooner rather than later.

Beyond Black, Texas will continue to pursue several other five-stars in receiver Ryan Wingo (trying to hold off a charge from Missouri), top-ranked offensive tackle Brandon Baker and defensive lineman Dominick McKinley.

Top-ranked athlete locks in decision date

Timpson (Texas) High five-star Terry Bussey will announce his commitment on Sept. 28. The 247Sports Crystal Ball is favoring Texas A&M at this point in his process, but sources around another program feel they’re strongly positioned as well:

LSU.

The Tigers are expected to get Bussey on an official visit this fall and we continue to peg LSU as the biggest challenger to the Aggies. There are some that think they can ultimately land him.

“They always produce top defensive backs and I feel like coach (Brian) Kelly is going to do great things for LSU and overall he’s a great fit for them,” Bussey told 247Sports this summer.

LSU has a top-10 recruiting class in the 2024 cycle, according to the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings. Texas A&M has a top-15 haul.

Bussey took officials to Texas and Oklahoma in June and gave both trips high marks, but the buzz says he’ll play his college football in College Station or Baton Rouge.

247Sports tabs Bussey as the nation’s No. 1 athlete recruit and No. 15 prospect overall.

Touted DL wrapping up his process

Five-star defensive lineman David Stone talked about he schools he has a keen eye on at IMG Academy Media Day this past Friday.

Tabbed by 247Sports as the No. 3 defensive lineman in the 2024 class and No. 10 prospect overall, Stone has a decision date set for Aug. 26. Oklahoma is the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite and the Sooner State native has been back to Norman a few times this calendar year.

“I feel good about them,” Stone told InsideTheU insider Gaby Urrutia. “My teammate is going to go there Jayden Jackson, he’s committed there. I have an old teammate there now. They have a good staff.

“It could be a good option for me.”

Miami is another program Stone sees as a good option.

“I’m pretty high on them right now,” Stone said. “My family, that’s their favorite place to be. They love Miami a lot. I talk to coach pretty much every day. They have a great relationship with my family. That’s important to me.”

Michigan State and Texas A&M are two other programs Stone spoke highly of. Alabama and Florida are a couple others in the mix.

Stone was one of the first blue-chippers in the 2024 class and now his process is winding down.

Get the latest football and basketball transfer portal news from 247Sports.

“I feel like this is just a good time to get everything out the way for my senior year,” Stone said. “I want to have time to focus on that. I think my family is ready to get everything over with.

“I feel like it’s a perfect time for everything to be over with.”

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Looch concedes aggy has almost no chance with Simmons, but Brauny gives his subs unfounded hope. Who’s running things at TexAgs?

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

TexAgs on Kobe Black hahahaha

IMG_7458.thumb.jpeg.0db98de0ea5e6807497dec100d55cf80.jpeg

they didn't lose the game commitment , they just ran out of time water

Edited by BigHornedLurker

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

As a Texas fan NIL has 100% made it better for us. 

It is the wild wild west right now, the SCOTUS created this with the Kav opinion, him stating that he was going bury the NCAA no matter what.

What was needed was federal guardrails. federal subpoenas, actual teeth in the investigations for bag men.

Wait until other states allow for the payment of HS players as long as they stay in state and a jealous aggie politicians object to changing the law to compete.

LA is one dumbfuck law away from undoing all our current inroads. 

• Fuck You 11

3 minutes ago, linux said:

It is the wild wild west right now, the SCOTUS created this with the Kav opinion, him stating that he was going bury the NCAA no matter what.

What was needed was federal guardrails. federal subpoenas, actual teeth in the investigations for bag men.

Wait until other states allow for the payment of HS players as long as they stay in state and a jealous aggie politicians object to changing the law to compete.

LA is one dumbfuck law away from undoing all our current inroads. 

Have you seen how fucking awful those senators NIL bills are? The last thing this needs is those shit guard rails and giving the NCAA which is a fucking dog shit organization subpoena power.  

Some states already allow for payment to HS players. Texas has already changed it's laws. All the shit you're bitching about is already happening.

Texas is finally in a position where we can flex and you want it to be crashed down for bag men which if you haven't paid attention NIL is knocking them down a peg or two. If all these guardrails are put in place on NIL and shit is so highly regulated it just opens the door for the bag game to be the benefactor in recruiting again. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Have you seen how fucking awful those senators NIL bills are? The last thing this needs is those shit guard rails and giving the NCAA which is a fucking dog shit organization subpoena power.  

Some states already allow for payment to HS players. Texas has already changed it's laws. All the shit you're bitching about is already happening.

Texas is finally in a position where we can flex and you want it to be crashed down for bag men which if you haven't paid attention NIL is knocking them down a peg or two.

If bag men can go to prison for lying then we return to the equilibrium at the turn of the century when CFB was at its best. Right now we have an unstable mess that could all unravel at any moment and undo all that was accomplished.

Wait until LA allows for all HS players to get LSU money as freshmen, and one of the biggest inroads successes vanish. It is very naive to assume that the wild wild west is good.

• Fuck You 17

2 minutes ago, linux said:

If bag men can go to prison for lying then we return to the equilibrium at the turn of the century when CFB was at its best. Right now we have an unstable mess that could all unravel at any moment and undo all that was accomplished.

Wait until LA allows for all HS players to get LSU money as freshmen, and one of the biggest inroads successes vanish. It is very naive to assume that the wild wild west is good.

You will never be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt regarding bag men. 

You're fighting the wrong fight here.

The "wild wild west" as you put it has been very very beneficial to us. See the most recent example: Collin Simmons. Without that we don't have a chance in hell to land a player of that caliber. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Had Simmons gone to the pp Looch would have been parroting the same, the pp is near mythological in cult circles.
That used to be the place where bags were "accidentally" dropped near cars and handshakes with a lil sumpin sumpin used to happen. These days recruits see that as just payment for being on the attendance list.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

The "wild wild west" as you put it has been very very beneficial to us. See the most recent example: Collin Simmons. Without that we don't have a chance in hell to land a player of that caliber. 

What lack of guardrails helped in the Colin Simons recruitment?

Are you suggesting that swamp aggy's final counter was entirely above board? 

In a world without bagmen, we win more recruitments. That's not to say that I have any idea how to craft federal NIL legislation, but the idea that bagmen existing is good for Texas is wild. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

You will never be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt regarding bag men. 

You're fighting the wrong fight here.

You don't need to prove much, just catch them in a lie and they go to prison.

In a world that heavily regulates CFB Bag men would not exist, SEC dominance has come as a result of the defanging of the NCAA by the courts and university presidents. Instead we have the www that can blow up at any moment.

• Fuck You 21

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls