Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

13 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Collins is a big body with good athleticism, who also happens to not be a very good player right now. He definitely has the measurables to be good, but he currently looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He needs to come back to school next year and dedicate himself if he intends to be a professional football player.

I am not knocking Kitan or Robinson, but there are better players who also can/do play special teams. Draftin Robinson to play punt block or Crawford to be a gunner is a waste of a draft pick.

Its exactly what 6th and 7th round picks are used for.  Robinson is a high-level special teams player who also has value in the passing game - he is getting drafted. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

This made me chuckle 🙂.

(Agroids - take note - you want to talk smack, this is how you do it ...)

It's from a Gators 247 thread on Will Harris, their new DB coach (who incidentally spent several years at Washington - overlapping with Kwiatkowski - and then a year with the Chargers);  they were complaining about Texas/Filsaime.

image.thumb.png.99b9f2cc537d388144e8ba43c465f6cf.png

That is some A+++ shit talk.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

Collins is a big body with good athleticism, who also happens to not be a very good player right now. He definitely has the measurables to be good, but he currently looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He needs to come back to school next year and dedicate himself if he intends to be a professional football player.

I am not knocking Kitan or Robinson, but there are better players who also can/do play special teams. Draftin Robinson to play punt block or Crawford to be a gunner is a waste of a draft pick.

Most 7th round picks are a waste of a pick. I didn’t guarantee it- I literally set the over under such that if those guys (and Whittington) went 0-4 it would be under and if they went 1-4 it would be over. Which is literally exactly how an over and under is supposed to work. 
I didn’t say Collins was going to be great or should go pro, I said there is literally 0 doubt he gets drafted if he goes. 

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

I have an affinity for Applebee's, simply because growing up in Camp Lejeune with very little to do in the neighboring shithole town of Jacksonville, Applebee's was relatively new and was one of the nicer restaurants in town.  So it felt like a big night out when my parents would take us there for dinner.  When I moved to Austin in the mid-1990s I used to frequent the one off Ben White and Mopac next to the Best Buy.

But I don't think I've been to one in about 15 years or so, and I really hope we sign a few of these portal guys this weekend.

Well, I hope you're ready for what follows after this proclamation. I'm assuming @Newy25 will want to duel you at the very least; he may just send an assassin. You're going to want to pick the weapons, of course, and a second as well. I'm available via zoom if you need encouragement. I don't know the duties of a second, but it's probably something like a notary.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

If Kelvin Banks played Center in high school, I am not sure his film would have looked any better than this. I found myself laughing at the devastation throughout the whole thing. 

That play at 1:13 when he hits the poor LB (# 35)about three times before finally landing on him and then starting to pick him up ... Funny shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Bobby Burton stated Collins isn't coming back on On Texas Football a few days ago in response to a question. Be interesting to see if Collins changes his mind, but Bobby seemed adamant that Collins was ready to move on. Seems like Sweat should be a case study for what's possible if he really puts his nose to the grindstone though.

6 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

really hoping bobby has bad intel or collins just changes his mind because he feels like the exact type of guy who could come back and really improve his draft stock with a big season next year. 

Dude has tons of potential and upside, but he’s also a bit of an enigma for me. I’d love for him to return, just quietly going along instead of breaking through. It really puts Sweat’s transformation in perspective for me. Best of luck either way. Hope they both get to go out on top. 🤘🏼

6 hours ago, Getafix said:

This made me chuckle 🙂.

(Agroids - take note - you want to talk smack, this is how you do it ...)

It's from a Gators 247 thread on Will Harris, their new DB coach (who incidentally spent several years at Washington - overlapping with Kwiatkowski - and then a year with the Chargers);  they were complaining about Texas/Filsaime.

image.thumb.png.99b9f2cc537d388144e8ba43c465f6cf.png

Chicago Fire GIF by NBC
Angry Season 2 GIF by The Boys

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

The scuttlebutt is DeCamillas is telling his special teams buddies in the league Crawford is a perfect fit for gunner, and if you don’t need him to actually try to play, I don’t know, defense, he may be worth a late round flyer 

CJ Godwin has played for like 7 or 8 years in the league and made over $8 million. There is absolutely a place in the leave for ST stars

I don't think he's THAT good. But someone will find out if there is a place for him as a ST star at the NFL level. Is that worth a late round pick? Doubt it but maybe.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

Well, I hope you're ready for what follows after this proclamation. I'm assuming @Newy25 will want to duel you at the very least; he may just send an assassin. You're going to want to pick the weapons, of course, and a second as well. I'm available via zoom if you need encouragement. I don't know the duties of a second, but it's probably something like a notary.

Just watch the first half of Hamilton, it explains everything.

Leslie Odom Jr Hamilton GIF by Disney+

Edited by hook me

31 minutes ago, NoName said:

CJ Godwin has played for like 7 or 8 years in the league and made over $8 million. There is absolutely a place in the leave for ST stars

I don't think he's THAT good. But someone will find out if there is a place for him as a ST star at the NFL level. Is that worth a late round pick? Doubt it but maybe.

I have a hard time seeing Crawford beat out Marquise Goodwin when he can't beat out Michael Taaf

As for Collins, backup college DTs who fail to live up to their high school rankings don't have a storied history in the NFL.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2