The US Capitol has been Breached [Action and Developing stories]

immamac

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:
we shouldn't be doing things or not doing things based on how stupid republicans might react. 
come on, dude.

No, but we should be channeling the energy into productive solutions, not empty gestures that create more problems than solutions.

So you're saying we should do things with a tangible benefit?

*ducks*

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

It shouldn’t be a surprise that police, military police, capital police, and military in general skew republican and believe there was some level or semblance of shenanigans in the election. Do you start screening folks who work at the capital to make sure they aren’t republican or supporters and believers of Trump (or whichever party is not in power, in the future)?

It's not a surprise at all, which is why I want as few cops around as possible and the military in only when absolutely necessary.

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

It wasn't on January 6th either until it was.  They are starting the impeachment today, crazy shit can follow.  

A siege requires people. The MAGA hordes aren't there physically.

Is the US Capitol under psychological siege?

Station these agents of authoritarian power somewhere else and bring them in if they're needed. All they accomplish now is normalizing the presence of state violence in the people's house.

Cops and troops are not our friends.

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

It shouldn’t be a surprise that police, military police, capital police, and military in general skew republican and believe there was some level or semblance of shenanigans in the election. Do you start screening folks who work at the capital to make sure they aren’t republican or supporters and believers of Trump (or whichever party is not in power, in the future)?

There are plenty of Republicans that can set aside their political beliefs and do their jobs.  Its the fringe guys that are a problem, and I have no idea how you root them out proactively.  Some are crazy enough to tell you, but there are more than enough that will only discuss their thoughts in sympathetic company.  A rotating buddy system is probably the best way to potentially keep it in check.  Officers work in pairs, and the pairs change regularly.  I know the military gets insider threat training, it probably needs to expand to include more political extremism, left and right.  We just cant let this become the new McCarthyism.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

There are plenty of Republicans that can set aside their political beliefs and do their jobs.  Its the fringe guys that are a problem, and I have no idea how you root them out proactively.  Some are crazy enough to tell you, but there are more than enough that will only discuss their thoughts in sympathetic company.  A rotating buddy system is probably the best way to potentially keep it in check.  Officers work in pairs, and the pairs change regularly.  I know the military gets insider threat training, it probably needs to expand to include more political extremism, left and right.  We just cant let this become the new McCarthyism.  

Good points and I agree that in industry most republicans (like yours truly) can set aside politics and be politically agnostic and compartmentalize political beliefs from interacting with a myriad of different people and respecting the job, but professions like the military and police are for whatever reason more tightly coupled to a political identity than like a lawyer or doctor or programmer. And that political identity is generally in conflict with the other one that has gained the majority, which means we really ought to start screening law and military folks at the lower levels of hierarchy to make sure they can psychologically do their jobs the right way. Classic fox watching the hen house scenario if we don’t IMO.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not a surprise at all, which is why I want as few cops around as possible and the military in only when absolutely necessary.

A siege requires people. The MAGA hordes aren't there physically.

Is the US Capitol under psychological siege?

Station these agents of authoritarian power somewhere else and bring them in if they're needed. All they accomplish now is normalizing the presence of state violence in the people's house.

Cops and troops are not our friends.

The former might be why the latter is there.  I think the dems have some significant concerns about the capitol police, so the NG's presence may be at their request. 

I doubt the next incident we see will have a visible run up to action.  It probably wont involve an advertised date, lofty speeches, or a slow walk up to the capitol or WH.  It also probably wont be as "peaceful" as the last one.  The NG is stationed in the right place, inside the building.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Good points and I agree that in industry most republicans (like yours truly) can set aside politics and be politically agnostic and compartmentalize political beliefs from interacting with a myriad of different people and respecting the job, but professions like the military and police are for whatever reason more tightly coupled to a political identity than like a lawyer or doctor or programmer. And that political identity is generally in conflict with the other one that has gained the majority, which means we really ought to start screening law and military folks at the lower levels of hierarchy to make sure they can psychologically do their jobs the right way. Classic fox watching the hen house scenario if we don’t IMO.

No, its the exact opposite on the surface.  Most industries aren't impacted by political beliefs.  You can be a doctor or programmer and express your political beliefs without any impact beyond people taking their business elsewhere.  The military is expressly apolitical.  That doesn't mean the people within it are apolitical, but when you put on the uniform you put that shit away and follow lawful orders and the UCMJ.  I know you see hatch act violations in DC pretty regularly, but its enforced a lot more in the military.

Yes, law enforcement and the military skews republican, but I think that's more to do with the budgetary support of that party than the normal party pillars.  Abortion for example, is probably not something you'll see strong feelings about among the rank and file in the military.  Republican leanings, in my experience with the military anyway, is more about voting for your wallet than anything else.  

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Nancy Pelosi failed in her duties as speaker when she agreed to sit these seditionists. 

Nancy Pelosi should also resign after bringing every house member like this up for expulsion and getting impeachment through. 

Look, I don’t like Pelosi at all but calling for her resignation over seating democratically elected representatives prior to Trump’s insurrection seems like it should be low on the priority list. 

If anyone is guilty of negligence in this, it’s the FBI.  

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

The former might be why the latter is there.  I think the dems have some significant concerns about the capitol police, so the NG's presence may be at their request. 

The NG is less dangerous?

I doubt the next incident we see will have a visible run up to action.  It probably wont involve an advertised date, lofty speeches, or a slow walk up to the capitol or WH.  It also probably wont be as "peaceful" as the last one.  The NG is stationed in the right place, inside the building.  

A force of MAGA sufficient to fight that # of NG would be pretty easy to see coming. They aren't going to pop out of the ground like golems.

There is a massive Metro PD building right down the street on Indiana and 3rd. DC is LOUSY with government buildings, many of which are either empty or near-empty due to the 'rona. Shove them in there.

I don't want my Congressmen constantly surrounded by the armed servants of state power.

BT, you don't know what intel they are getting. We know there were cops, militias, and ex-military involved with the Trumpkin siege on January 6th. 

Their first attempt was sloppy. If they do it again, it will be way more organized and dangerous. 

Also: 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The NG is less dangerous?

A force of MAGA sufficient to fight that # of NG would be pretty easy to see coming. They aren't going to pop out of the ground like golems.

There is a massive Metro PD building right down the street on Indiana and 3rd. DC is LOUSY with government buildings, many of which are either empty or near-empty due to the 'rona. Shove them in there.

I don't want my Congressmen constantly surrounded by the armed servants of state power.

I guess we are doing this.  Less dangerous in what fashion?  Yes, they are carrying M4s.  They can shoot people.  

Are they more likely than the capitol police to open doors for MAGA, take selfies with them, give directions to certain offices, and disable panic alarms?  We know the capitol police will do those things, so I guess someone decided to roll with the NG until they can sort out traitors amongst the CP ranks.  I'm pretty sure the congressmen aren't really concerned about being "surrounded" by the armed servants of state power that are asleep in some fucking hallway.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

At the risk* of being yelled at again before people eventually say, "Well OK fine you're right but go to hell anyway"...

Not really.

"Trying" is the key word here and "trying" isn't exactly something Donald Trump does. It's the difference between a guy who lazily and distractedly flicks matches at a forest and a guy who walks into the forest with cans of gasoline and road flares. Trump's the lazy, distracted, and stupid one.

He obviously wasn't displeased by his idiot minions (both the cops (who are bastards) and the mentally and emotionally disturbed freaks the cops enabled) stormed the capitol in a doomed-to-fail attempt at a coup, but his goal isn't societal transformation or a civil war, his goal is to be perceived as the winner. If the MAGA Coup had worked and the Congress had said, "FINE OK TRUMP IS PRESIDENT FOR LIFE!" he would've celebrated victory and told his mentally deficient friends to go home in peace, back to their beautiful boats.

Do a great deal of his followers want civil war? Oh absolutely, but really what they want is RAHOWA, the racial holy war. These are people who have visions of a world that doesn't involve them, which Donald Trump is constitutionally incapable of envisioning.

After 1/6 he made his hostage video and all of his griping about how he shouldn't have made his hostage video is done in private. He saves his most derange proclamations for the unfortunate souls who surround him. He's been virtually radio silent since 1/6.

He's not trying to kick off a civil war.  People who start civil wars care about big ideas and about vast swaths of people. He's a crybaby who is mad he lost and doesn't care about anything but himself.

He's a giant piece of human waste, but we should try to understand that in a proper context instead of trying to discover new ways to express our hysterical anxiety. (Same for Boebert, Greene, et al)

* - j/k I love it it is my fetish

You're not wrong in how you describe Trump, but I think this is a bit off. Trump didn't just recklessly flick matches into some brush. He ordered others, something he's done all his life, to douse it in gasoline first and then flicked the match, expecting it to start a fire that he could go watch on tv.

This was more than a hissy fit. He's been scrambling for ways to hold on to power since he lost the election and finally decided his last best option was to disrupt Congress with a mob of his violent fanatics, and if a bunch of reps and senators (and his own supporters) died tough shit for them.  He's not planning the details like a master tactician, but he tells other people to do that and expects it to get done. There's way too much evidence of premeditation here to think otherwise.

• Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah....I didn't serve, but have plenty of friends who did, and that's a universal rule.  When you can get rack time -- wherever you might be -- you take it.  There's no ongoing attack, there's no action order at the moment, they are at ease.  Grabbing some zzzzs is what every soldier does in that situation.

OTHER TOPIC -- the removal of panic buttons.  That.....could be huge.  Questions need to be answered.

When were they removed?  If they were removed BEFORE the mob reached the Capitol, that is strong evidence of a conspiracy from the inside.  If they were removed AFTER....and members of the mob knew exactly where to look for them, THAT is evidence of a conspiracy from the inside.

From whose offices were they removed?  If they were removed from only select offices, particularly of those members who are most sharply demonized by the alt-right nuts, that is strong evidence of a conspiracy with a particular purpose.

It depends on how the facts come out, but the panic button issue could actually be a key piece of evidence in developing a conspiracy case.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I didn't serve, but have plenty of friends who did, and that's a universal rule.  When you can get rack time -- wherever you might be -- you take it.  There's no ongoing attack, there's no action order at the moment, they are at ease.  Grabbing some zzzzs is what every soldier does in that situation.

OTHER TOPIC -- the removal of panic buttons.  That.....could be huge.  Questions need to be answered.

When were they removed?  If they were removed BEFORE the mob reached the Capitol, that is strong evidence of a conspiracy from the inside.  If they were removed AFTER....and members of the mob knew exactly where to look for them, THAT is evidence of a conspiracy from the inside.

From whose offices were they removed?  If they were removed from only select offices, particularly of those members who are most sharply demonized by the alt-right nuts, that is strong evidence of a conspiracy with a particular purpose.

It depends on how the facts come out, but the panic button issue could actually be a key piece of evidence in developing a conspiracy case.

Pressley's staff tried using them during the siege and they were missing, so they were removed ahead of time.

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Pressley's staff tried using them during the siege and they were missing, so they were removed ahead of time.

What can I say, it looks like they picked the wrong week to do panic button maintenance.  Either that or they took them out to get washed.

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

BT, you don't know what intel they are getting. We know there were cops, militias, and ex-military involved with the Trumpkin siege on January 6th. 

I don't know what intel they are getting, but I know I see a bunch of dudes sleeping in the Capitol hallways.

Also, "you don't know what intelligence they're getting" excuses everything if you want it to.

Their first attempt was sloppy. If they do it again, it will be way more organized and dangerous. 

What did you see on 1/6 that gave you the impression that the will or ability existed among that group to execute an actual, well-organized, well-planned, and well-executed assault on the US Capitol?

We could house these troops 3 blocks away to respond to threats.

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

When I was a young Marine, I learned that no one ever had too much ammo or too much sleep.  You take every chance you got to stock up on both.

And water.

"Hey RD, why you carryin two canteens?"

film montage to show time passing

"Hey RD, gimme a drink."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

She's got a good ten years in office until Metro Atlanta spreads far enough to give her any competition.

Yep.

Liberals need to stop with this politics of getting online and screaming "THIS AIN'T IT SIS!" and actually organize and win elections against these people.

For instance...

We can, in fact, move forward with those people in Congress. We must, in fact, move forward with these people in Congress.

We don't have to embrace them or like them or respect them or try to bring them in, but we have to move forward even if Republicans are bad.

Because Republicans are bad and they won't stop being bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know what intel they are getting, but I know I see a bunch of dudes sleeping in the Capitol hallways.

Also, "you don't know what intelligence they're getting" excuses everything if you want it to.

What did you see on 1/6 that gave you the impression that the will or ability existed among that group to execute an actual, well-organized, well-planned, and well-executed assault on the US Capitol?

If the cop is IN 7-Eleven, are you less likely to rob it than if the cop is three blocks away?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Native Horn said:

If the cop is IN 7-Eleven, are you less likely to rob it than if the cop is three blocks away?  

This is an argument for more police and more military everywhere always, because if we base our plans off of imagined threats we can never stop imagining more and worse.

The authoritarian state underprepared and underreacted to 1/6 and now they're overpreparing and overreacting, which can be just as dangerous.

Get these troops out of Congress. Stow them away nearby and only bring them in if it's actually necessary. Set a standard for, "We are not going to live in fear." because fear is the food that Republicans eat. We're just running a Chinese buffet of anxiety right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yep.

Liberals need to stop with this politics of getting online and screaming "THIS AIN'T IT SIS!" and actually organize and win elections against these people.

For instance...

We can, in fact, move forward with those people in Congress. We must, in fact, move forward with these people in Congress.

We don't have to embrace them or like them or respect them or try to bring them in, but we have to move forward even if Republicans are bad.

They are white supremacists and should always be referred to as such.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yep.

For instance...

I dunno, seems like maybe Congress should expel them before they threaten the rest of their lives for a second time.

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Get these troops out of Congress. Stow them away nearby and only bring them in if it's actually necessary. Set a standard for, "We are not going to live in fear." because fear is the food that Republicans eat. We're just running a Chinese buffet of anxiety right now.

b_t largely doesn't fucking get it....but on this point, he is correct.  There should be a small presence of national guard troops there....but there should also be a LARGE backup presence staged minutes away.  There are plenty of places to do that.  But we don't need 100s of troops in the halls.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

The United States Capitol is not a bait car, waiting on insurrectionists to "steal" it before we bring in people to defend it.  

Might be kinda cool to let em all in, then they can't leave. Let Bernie be the one who says "Now youse can't leave."

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I dunno, seems like maybe Congress should expel them before they threaten the rest of their lives for a second time.

No effort is being made to actually do this. Instead it's passive aggressive security theater and posting, neither of which is real work and both of which make things worse.

Look at how much of the 1/6 insurrection was livestreamed by the traitors. They were out there for the clout, and apparently that's what our politicians are out there for, as well. It's a bunch of fear porn right now on Twitter and elsewhere. Pictures of the sleeping troops with "OH MY GOD YOU GUYS OH MY GOD!" Meanwhile... nothing is actually happening and the entire area around the Capitol is empty.

Is the MAGA horde going to literally burrow from underground and through the floor of the rotunda?

2 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

The United States Capitol is not a bait car, waiting on insurrectionists to "steal" it before we bring in people to defend it.  

I'm not saying leave it undefended. The NG could be stationed a couple of blocks away at the Metro PD or one of the other nearby gov't buildings and then they go to the Capitol when it's necessary.

Them being asleep on the floor in the visitor's center is an advantage of what... 5 minutes? Maybe 10? Seriously think through what you think is going to happen that will require an NG response that requires them to be right there instead of a few blocks away.

Get the pigs out.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is an argument for more police and more military everywhere always, because if we base our plans off of imagined threats we can never stop imagining more and worse.

The authoritarian state underprepared and underreacted to 1/6 and now they're overpreparing and overreacting, which can be just as dangerous.

Bad news for you, CNN is running video now showing the exterior of the capitol.  The entire exterior is now a no-climb fence and is being manned by NG guys.  I think someone up thread nailed the picture you originally bitched about.  Probably the night shift guys or a reserve element getting some shut eye.  I expect the capitol to maintain this posture through the inauguration.  There is tons of SIGINT that the hardcore Q/MAGA guys are planning an armed protest/attack the next go around.  No one inside that building is going to complain about being overprepared at this point.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:
12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:
we shouldn't be doing things or not doing things based on how stupid republicans might react. 
come on, dude.

No, but we should be channeling the energy into productive solutions, not empty gestures that create more problems than solutions.

well sure. i didn’t even know the capitol was increasing security or who made that call, but clearly there was a lapse on wed and that’s typically when things happen, often some sort of overreaction. 

did the metal detectors really “create problems”?  not likely. did the energy that was put into this deprive other potentially productive efforts?  i doubt it. 

cops are dead, quitting, getting suspended, getting fired, and committing suicide. yeah, maybe it’s time to take a look at the security situation around the capitol and people tasked with protecting it from armed surrectionists - especially with a few big events coming up.

just a thought. 

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

No effort is being made to actually do this. Instead it's passive aggressive security theater and posting, neither of which is real work and both of which make things worse.

Look at how much of the 1/6 insurrection was livestreamed by the traitors. They were out there for the clout, and apparently that's what our politicians are out there for, as well. It's a bunch of fear porn right now on Twitter and elsewhere. Pictures of the sleeping troops with "OH MY GOD YOU GUYS OH MY GOD!" Meanwhile... nothing is actually happening and the entire area around the Capitol is empty.

Is the MAGA horde going to literally burrow from underground and through the floor of the rotunda?

I'm not saying leave it undefended. The NG could be stationed a couple of blocks away at the Metro PD or one of the other nearby gov't buildings and then they go to the Capitol when it's necessary.

Them being asleep on the floor in the visitor's center is an advantage of what... 5 minutes? Maybe 10? Seriously think through what you think is going to happen that will require an NG response that requires them to be right there instead of a few blocks away.

Get the pigs out.

Sure seems like a number of Dem reps are pretty serious about it. I dunno if it's enough to convince Pelosi, but you're nuts if you think they're all just fine with working in the same building with the traitors who almost got them killed once already. Pressley, AOC, et al aren't openly speaking to the press about how they were scared that GOP reps would lead murderers to them as theater.