2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Iowa state being falated in the preseason is as predictable as them picking OU to win the conference. Sports writers are lazy and I doubt they gave more than 5 seconds of consideration for most of their choices. The fact is that there are 3 or 4 players at each position from Texas or other B12 schools that are better players. Iowa State is thriving on perennial underachievement of other programs right now.

Yeah as great as ISU has been, Herman probably should've beaten them the last two years.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah.....no 8-4 wouldn't cut it. This isn't a normal run of the mill first season. It's not like Herman left the cupboard bare when he got axed. 8-4 would be a failure with the staff that was brought in. Pretty sure Sark even knows he's gotta get this thing kick started as fast as possible.  

8-4 with a good bowl win would be ok in my book, if we are looking like a much improved team at the end of the year. New staffs have growing pains and so do new QBs. 

Can you really call Casey Thompson a first year QB? Won’t this season be his 5th year in the program? I mean I know he hasn’t started, but still. 
It's been so long since we've had a QB stick around this long..and take the job (assuming he does) we've forgotten what it's like, but yeah..by every definition he's a first year starter at QB. There are first year starters with more experience than Casey, some with much less..but still first year.
  • Like 1

Just saw this license plate in Lakeway, IH8 OU, does this belong to any of you. 
It doesn't, but I'll buy it from the owner..

then install motion sensor cams that cover all sides so I can find and sue the cocksucking gooner who dares deface my car.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

8-4 with a good bowl win would be ok in my book, if we are looking like a much improved team at the end of the year. New staffs have growing pains and so do new QBs. 

Nope. It would be a disappointment. 9-3 is OK but really they need to make it to the Big 12 title game. We have the clear edge in talent over all of our opponents except OU.

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Go fuck yourself, bitch. That would be a pathetic outcome on the same level as Herman going 6-6 in 2017. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go fuck yourself, bitch. That would be a pathetic outcome on the same level as Herman going 6-6 in 2017. 

Yep.  8-4 won't move the needle with recruiting for the 23' class either or get a few flips or late surprises with 22'.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Kobe Bryant GIF
10 wins (including the bowl) or bust

This is kinda where I'm landing. This effectively budgets a loss to OU (who will be the better team this year) and two losses to teams of lesser talent on paper (ISU, etc. - this should be zero in future seasons though). I am wary of dropping at least one game due to QB inexperience though; hell, even the "golden boy" Rattler threw away at least one game last year if I remember correctly. Maybe I'm discounting the potential bowl opponent but I'm not too concerned given our recent bowl performances.

3 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

This isn't your average new staff situation. The 4 new guys on the offensive side have been together for a couple of years already. The SC coach has worked with both Sark and Pete K before.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 3

I don't see how 9-3 is an unrealistic expectation in any way. Tom Herman would have gone 9-3 last year if we played our full OOC schedule. We were coming off of a shortened offseason, during which we were breaking in a new DC and OC(kind of). 

TH also went 9-3 in 2018. The opener loss was inexplicable MD fuckery. We lost to OSU by 3 points after spotting them 31 in the first half with our 2 DBs sitting out a quarter. We lost to WVU by one point because we were missing Brandon Jones and TO was our DC.

Nothing about going 9-3 screams unattainable, even with a strong OU, ISU, and "scares ya to death" Louisiana.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

Anybody who expects worse-than-#MensaTom performance from the '21 Texas season is incompletely decked. Just my opinion, but... All three of 2020's losses were winnable games that were lost because HC was a natural Adept at changing his own poorly thought-out game plans and lack of ability to adjust in-game, even when we were actually ahead or in position to take the lead) into complete disasters.

I can't help but believe that Sark would've come up with proper use of the talent to win any of those games, and likely two of them. YMMV.

Casey Thompson has never played so poorly, in what little he has played, that anyone is justified in being sure he won't cut it as QB1. Card looks better as a passer than Casey, in practice and scrimmage modes, and it seems that Card is athletic and not a complete klutz as a runner.

We won't know until real games show up on the calendar, but I'm not discounting our QB resources, not at all.

Could we end up with four - or even more - losses? It's possible, but I think all the possibilities are injury-related, so I can discount those... not that they won't happen, but that, if they do, it's not on the coaches, barring stupid practice and training policies.

For me the expectation is to cut at least one loss. The fact that we (arguably) wound up three plays short of the CPS last season, added to the gains (we think) we've made in coaching, and the not-so-badly replaced losses of players from nfl-ing, graduating, and portaling, all give hope.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

It’s sad to me that us fans are fully expecting to drop one of the first two games and expecting 7-9 wins.  Fuck losing to some directional Louisiana team and a fucking bottom barrel Arkansas team.  And fuck losing any games in the big 12.  We have out recruited every fucking team including ou.  If these coaches can’t get us to 10 fucking wins against the pathetic big 12 and a shitty OOC schedule, then fuck this program.  Fucking aggy is expecting to compete for a national championship with a 1st year QB and we’re sitting here wondering if our new staff can out perform that moron Tom Herman.  10+ wins and a big 12 championship appearance is what we need to accomplish.  

image.gif.a4aad40011bb4ce1bce6f9885bfa5cec.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Fuck 8-4. I think this team is going to be good. Really good. I’ve made 2 bets with my sooner brother. One that we beat ou, the other that we make the playoffs. I’ll be disappointed if I don’t win both

I like the cut of your jibve.

36 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Fuck 8-4. I think this team is going to be good. Really good. I’ve made 2 bets with my sooner brother. One that we beat ou, the other that we make the playoffs. I’ll be disappointed if I don’t win both

Damn. You’re sister must be hot…

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

It’s sad to me that us fans are fully expecting to drop one of the first two games and expecting 7-9 wins.  Fuck losing to some directional Louisiana team and a fucking bottom barrel Arkansas team.  And fuck losing any games in the big 12.  We have out recruited every fucking team including ou.  If these coaches can’t get us to 10 fucking wins against the pathetic big 12 and a shitty OOC schedule, then fuck this program.  Fucking aggy is expecting to compete for a national championship with a 1st year QB and we’re sitting here wondering if our new staff can out perform that moron Tom Herman.  10+ wins and a big 12 championship appearance is what we need to accomplish.  

This!  What the hell has Texas football turned into.  Btw.  Fuck Mack Brown!

I was relocated from Austin to Tulsa in the late 90’s until 2011.  Made 27 home games.  Saw every game in person in 2005 except the NC.  Loved the program, the town, and took a ton of shit in Okieville.  

Now long suffering do to AD’s, shitty conference alignment, and no vision for the future.

If we are Texas then get back to leading!  

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Those same fans will shit on the SEC West, and at the same time say that "Fayetnam" is such a tough place to play that they wouldn't be surprised if Arkansas beat us.

• Hook 'Em 1

Perpetual aggy delusion aside, I can agree with this. On the other hand we are on yet another new coaching staff, and no matter who our QB is, it will be their first start at the college level. Casey was outstanding in the Alamo bowl, but he came into a game where we had the lead, and he had no pressure on him to carry the team to a win. As for Card, even the greatest "once in a generation" 5* QB's are going to struggle a bit first time they realize the defense isnt dotted with HS jags that can be exploited.

9-3 regular season I will be gruntled, 10-2 will set my expectations for the following season way too high, 11-1? I'll be the first to chip in a few bucks for the Sark statue outside DKR...especially if we win the bowl game against a decent opponent to cap off the season.

15 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

If our receivers can catch the ball and the offense holds the turnovers down then yes, the Horns will be in contention.

How can y’all make any predictions about the offense? You can’t bank on shit with this group.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, ousux said:

Perpetual aggy delusion aside, I can agree with this. On the other hand we are on yet another new coaching staff, and no matter who our QB is, it will be their first start at the college level. Casey was outstanding in the Alamo bowl, but he came into a game where we had the lead, and he had no pressure on him to carry the team to a win. As for Card, even the greatest "once in a generation" 5* QB's are going to struggle a bit first time they realize the defense isnt dotted with HS jags that can be exploited.

9-3 regular season I will be gruntled, 10-2 will set my expectations for the following season way too high, 11-1? I'll be the first to chip in a few bucks for the Sark statue outside DKR...especially if we win the bowl game against a decent opponent to cap off the season.

We simply have to be better than everyone but ou which should not be a hard to ask this staff.  We have a top 3-5 DC, we also have a top 3 play caller in Sark, and Banks who is supposed to be an elite special teams coach.  If these guys can’t gameplan again teams outside of ou, then what a waste of fucking money.  

We have a stacked RB room with a Heisman potential player in Bijan.  Whittington was once a 5 star player and I’ve seen enough to know that guy can fucking play at a high level if he’s healthy.  Add in Josh Moore, TO21, Dixon, and Worthy.  While that may not be as stacked as Bama, tOSUs WR corps… it’s better than 90% of rosters.

Our D-line depth is probably top 5 in the country.  We have an experienced and talented secondary.  This defense should be stout if DMO comes back healthy and we can get 2 other LBs to step up.

We’re not in a terrible spot at QB.  Both are inexperienced but both show decent to good accuracy and ++ speed.  Run the fucking ball with Bijan/Rojo/K. Robinson.  Get Whittington, Worthy, Dixon in space and dump it off to them and let them use their speed.  Use TO on fades, jump balls, and in the red zone.  Keep this shit simple and I bet we win 10+ games.  Now if I see some stupid Tom Herman shit like Garrett fucking Gray out there starting and stupid blitzes from 15 yards out,  I’m going just tune out for the rest of the season.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We simply have to be better than everyone but ou which should not be a hard to ask this staff.  We have a top 3-5 DC, we also have a top 3 play caller in Sark, and Banks who is supposed to be an elite special teams coach.  If these guys can’t gameplan again teams outside of ou, then what a waste of fucking money.  

We have a stacked RB room with a Heisman potential player in Bijan.  Whittington was once a 5 star player and I’ve seen enough to know that guy can fucking play at a high level if he’s healthy.  Add in Josh Moore, TO21, Dixon, and Worthy.  While that may not be as stacked as Bama, tOSUs WR corps… it’s better than 90% of rosters.

Our D-line depth is probably top 5 in the country.  We have an experienced and talented secondary.  This defense should be stout if DMO comes back healthy and we can get 2 other LBs to step up.

We’re not in a terrible spot at QB.  Both are inexperienced but both show decent to good accuracy and ++ speed.  Run the fucking ball with Bijan/Rojo/K. Robinson.  Get Whittington, Worthy, Dixon in space and dump it off to them and let them use their speed.  Use TO on fades, jump balls, and in the red zone.  Keep this shit simple and I bet we win 10+ games.  Now if I see some stupid Tom Herman shit like Garrett fucking Gray out there starting and stupid blitzes from 15 yards out,  I’m going just tune out for the rest of the season.

Well in regards to offense the Oline needs to take a few steps forward in order to have the offense that Sark has in mind.  Hoping Flood can elevate the talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Agree with most of this - on paper we have more talent than every opponent except maybe OU, our OC and DC are both top 5 in the country, so we should win a lot of games. Where it gets questionable for this year is 1. we don't know what we have at QB. Both may have growing pains especially in a new system. 2. Turnarounds don't happen overnight. It'll take time for these new coaches to instill their culture, get their schemes fully implemented, drill in fundamentals/technique that have been lacking, etc.

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I'd also add on with this is Sark loves play action and I think that's where we'll see a lot deep shots down the field and some TE stuff.

I hope Sark has seen what Klieman has done against OU and how to attack them by running right at them with plays that aren't slow developing.  That shit drove me nuts when Herman did that and would never adjust/try anything different until finally running a play with Rojo that went for about 50 yards.

If this staff is what we think they are, then the dumb fuckery and 3-6 point losses against TCU and ISU the last few years will be flipped around in our favor.  Don't care if both those games are on the road, neither of those offenses are what you'd call explosive.

• Hook 'Em 3

This upcoming season almost feels like 1977.  After DKR’s Death by Wishbone ended we brought in Fred Akers who went to Earl and said, “If you lose 20 pounds, I will git you the Heisman!”  We even beat OUSUX after losing McBath and Aune, with a scrub McEarchen at QB!

Sark can plainly see what is wrong and fix it, and we have some serious talent.  We will win!

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:

Well in regards to offense the Oline needs to take a few steps forward in order to have the offense that Sark has in mind.  Hoping Flood can elevate the talent.

I think we'll be fine running the ball.  We averaged 5.3 yards a carry last year and that was with all of Sam's sacks factored in (in comparison, aggy, who likes to boast they are superior to us on the OL and it being not close, was only 5.6 yards per rush last year).

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, victory88 said:

If Casey retains his seeming advantage in composure, pocket presence, and ability to throw a catchable ball and hit the checkdowns, what you described is a pretty perfect argument for inserting Casey as the starter. At least to begin the season. 

If Card eventually beats him out this year or next August based on upside and arm talent, good. But for now seems like we need a game manager to lead the team and get Bijan the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1