2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

Just now, lemonandaturd said:

I just want Sark and Coach K to help me forget that Shawn Watson and Todd Orlando ever were coordinators at Texas.  The only other way to forget involves lots of drugs and alcohol.  

I agree with this but I think it’s better to just start doing lots of drugs and alcohol right now just in case

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Lost our best player in Sam Cosmi - will definitely be worse

Eh, they might not have an individual who's as good, but the coaching should be miles better. Flood vs Hand is an enormous contrast.

Look at the Euro Championship last night - England had the better, more athletic players, but Italy worked together more coherently.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Lose one player, return a bunch of others with potentially better positional coaching and play-calling/design. It's possible that it's worse, but saying it'll definitely be worse is dumb considering how bad it was at times last year 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Fud said:

Lose one player, return a bunch of others with potentially better positional coaching and play-calling/design. It's possible that it's worse, but saying it'll definitely be worse is dumb considering how bad it was at times last year 

Christian Jones mas more potential to be better than Cosmi and Williams IMO.

None of these guys have had coaching in like 5 years.

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We looked just fine without Sam our last 2 games.  In fact, we looked better.  I'm not saying Cosmi is bad or anything.  Just that we had guys step up while he was probably mentally checked out trying not to get hurt after the tcu and ou losses.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I just want Sark and Coach K to help me forget that Shawn Watson and Todd Orlando ever were coordinators at Texas.  The only other way to forget involves lots of drugs and alcohol.  

Hopefully its us consuming the alcohol in this case

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, they might not have an individual who's as good, but the coaching should be miles better. Flood vs Hand is an enormous contrast.

Look at the Euro Championship last night - England had the better, more athletic players, but Italy worked together more coherently.

Italy wasn't managed by GDGS either

https://theathletic.com/2696515/2021/07/12/college-football-win-totals-could-clemson-miss-the-playoff-is-north-carolina-a-10-win-team-and-more/

Texas section of the Athletic win total column: 

Spoiler

Texas O/U 8

Andy: The Texas over-under is eight. Now, let’s just clear our minds of the idea of what Texas should be, because in our heads Texas should be a team that wins double-digit games every year. It’s impossible.

Ari: I can’t clear my mind of that. That’s all I think about before bed.

Clearing your mind of what Texas is supposed to be is like the antithesis of what it is like to talk about them. Like I don’t even know what Texas is if their logo and their helmet were something else. What would we even be talking about?

Andy: We’re gonna be talking about a team that Max Olson made my head explode by explaining that their record since 2010 is basically the same as Nebraska since 2010. I know. That’s what makes this interesting. So eight feels like the right number. Like it feels like they hit it right on the head.

They got to beat the (Louisiana) Ragin’ Cajuns in the season opener. And I don’t like that Arkansas game. I really don’t. And they’ve got TCU and Oklahoma back to back and they’ve got road trips at Baylor and Iowa State back to back.

Ari: Dude, Andy, I didn’t say this. I need to say this. October 2 at TCU. October 9 Red River (vs. Oklahoma), October 16 Oklahoma State. October 30  at Baylor. That’s a really tough month. Especially since they can’t seem to beat TCU. And TCU is going to be, I think, the best version of itself of the past four years, this year. I did the TCU “state of the program.” And they have a lot to like about them. And I don’t know if you find yourself buying into every single team that you write about for the state of the program series we do, but I bought into TCU.

Andy: I did the Mississippi State one recently. And I realized the SEC West is loaded. The win-loss column difference may not be huge, just because of the level of competition they’re playing. But they’re going to be way better. I can tell you right now they’re going to be a lot better. And so if you’re confident in TCU being a lot better, that’s a scary thing if you’re Texas because you couldn’t beat them when they were at their weakest.

Ari: A new head coach comes in (Steve Sarkisian) who just drove a Ferrari 200 miles an hour, and what he got out of Alabama’s offense. But the general idea is that he is an offensive-minded guy who can get the most out of his players, which was — coincidentally enough — Tom Herman’s reputation when he took the job coming from Houston. But I trust that a coach like Sark who was just in Alabama’s system, has the secret sauce or at least a secret ingredient for what Nick Saban and Alabama did to get the most out of their players; and he will translate the things that he learned to Texas and I think Texas has a chance to get more out of the team that they would have otherwise. So I think the over here is the play you make if you believe that Texas has a chance to be different with their new head coach. I don’t know if it’s one of these hills that I will just be doomed to die on. But I have so much confidence in Texas all the time. And I think I’m gonna bite the bullet and do it again, man.

Andy: I will I will take the under until they prove me wrong. Prove me wrong, Longhorns! Because I just can’t believe you until you do it. Yeah. And that’s fair.

Ari Wasserman went with a tepid "over" with the O/U set at 8. Andy Staples went "under" mainly because he refuses to get fooled again. Some talk about how good they think TCU will be in there as well. 

If we have a 7 win season that is an outright disaster, so fuck you Andy.

• Hook 'Em 3

We should be better. Herman ran an offense based upon using the QB as a battering ram, and while it created an offense that was somewhat effective, it didn’t maximize the potential of the players and the team. 

On defense, we should also be better.  Losing Ossai is huge, but overall the talent and scheme should be better. 

I also believe coaching will produce better luck than with Herman. Put it all together and we should be 9-3 or 10-2  

Seems someone woke up and realized in spite of firing our coach, we were just a cunthair away from winning all of our games last year, even got wonderboy at blowU benched for part of the game. I kinda liked flying under the radar a bit more, especially pawls "irrelevant" comments..

42 minutes ago, ousux said:
8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Seems someone woke up and realized in spite of firing our coach, we were just a cunthair away from winning all of our games last year, even got wonderboy at blowU benched for part of the game. I kinda liked flying under the radar a bit more, especially pawls "irrelevant" comments..

Yes we were. We were also a cunthair away from losing OSU and WVU games. There should be a correction factor for Tom Herman coached games:

-Overtime W/L (3 overtimes or greater) = Single overtime W/L 

-Overtime W/L (1 or 2 overtimes) = One possession regulation W/L

-One possession W/L = 2-3 TD W/L

-Greater than one possession W/L = 4+ TD blowout W/L

All kidding aside, I do believe we would've finished 9-3 last year if it wasn't for the cancellations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Yes we were. We were also a cunthair away from losing OSU and WVU games. There should be a correction factor for Tom Herman coached games:

All kidding aside, I do believe we would've finished 9-3 last year if it wasn't for the cancellations. 

We were straight up lucky to beat Tech as well. Needed a miracle onside kick, quick td, and an 2 point conversion just to get it to OT. 

In a 10 game schedule we played 6 games that were true toss-ups until basically the final gun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

We were straight up lucky to beat Tech as well. Needed a miracle onside kick, quick td, and an 2 point conversion just to get it to OT. 

In a 10 game schedule we played 6 games that were true toss-ups until basically the final gun.

oQqVNN.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean it's a reasonable system but has some issues. Preseason ratings are iffy because they include roster guesses, etc. And recruiting rankings where they use Rivals but not 247, for example at least the last time I checked. Here's how it's done against the spread:

2020 - 51.2%
2019 - 48.2%
2018 - 51.3%
2017 - 51.2%
2016 - 53.4%
2015 - 47.3%

I mean that's not terrible, but there's no reason to take them more seriously than any other advanced system.

That's... only slightly better than a coin flip 4 out of 6 years, and worse than a coin flip the other two.

How's that... I mean, I guess "terrible" would be consistently worse than a coin flip?

IT Scoop

Eric Nahlin

Humble Scribe
  By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Three young players to watch

IT asked a source for three young players who could start this year but probably won’t.

SO CB Kitan Crawford: “The only thing keeping him from starting is he has two seniors ahead of him. He looks like a pro; he has the focus of a pro; he moves like a pro. Always in control of his feet — never too wide or too narrow. He’s patient at the line and uses his eyes well. He’s a guy who doesn’t say much. Not scared to hit you, will play the run, and he’s smart. He’s not just a corner in college, he’ll be a corner in the NFL.“

That last sentence was in response to asking if he’d be a nickel in the NFL.

We talk to a lot of people and Crawford is roundly regarded as one of the most talented players in the program.

FR WR Xavier Worthy: “The only thing holding him back is weight and that really isn’t an issue either. He runs exceptional routes. He reminds of Jerry Jeudy the way he runs his routes, so fluid. He floats in and out of his routes. It’s the same thing with DeVonta Smith. It looks like he’s not running hard; he makes it looks easy. And he’s explosive, can get to top speed in a heartbeat. He’s not afraid to go into traffic and go up and get it. He has hands too. He makes consistently good catches, one-handed, double toe-tap on the sideline. He can do it all. He doesn’t say much and is business-like.”

DeVonta Smith’s name being mentioned is high praise, but it’s said the man at the top sees similarities to the player he helped turn into a Heisman winner as well.

Worthy isn’t a player IT got to know well, so that last term in the above quote is very encouraging and raises his floor considerably.

FR DT Byron Murphy: “He has the ability to start this year. He won’t because of Coburn and Sweat, but he’ll play. He’s another guy who doesn’t say much so there’s a theme working. He has the confidence of someone who has done it before. He worked over [a potential starter] last week — it was bad. He executes his plan very well. His skill level is advanced. Great footwork and he‘s strong. His body is sync from the ground up. Great center of gravity, good usage of hands. He’ll probably play a lot this year and become a standout the year after.”

Murphy uses his combination of 6-foot-1 low man advantage and feet quite well. Like how certain running backs can be hard to tackle, he’s hard to block. Comps to Bravvion Roy are fair but Murphy is better than the former Baylor standout.

Caveat: Anytime young players receive praise, fans expect them to be All Americans their first game. These guys should be expected to flash physical talent at an early age, but they’ll still have big eyes the first few times they see the field.

LB depth

Joe’s linebacker outlook offered a good opportunity to get sourced material on the position.

How linebacker shakes out will be one of the stories of August camp. “Somebody’s going to be left out,” a source said while discussing all the options.

The most interesting nugget is DeMarvion Overshown is still repping at Sam during player driven practices. Sam is on the field in “base” defense. He is in place of the nickel (Chris Adimora). The Sam is a piece that moves around, typically with getting after the quarterback in mind. He can be off the ball or on the line of scrimmage.

David Gbenda has also repped at Sam, as has Notre Dame transfer Ovie Oghoufo. Sam has some overlap with Oghoufo’s main position of X-backer (OLB).

Gbenda seems assured to start, likely at Will (the in-the-box linebacker). He’s the most trusted to call the defense at this point, plus he’s athletic. “It’s his spot to lose,” IT heard. Jeff Choate had good things to say about the young LB during his on-line coaching clinic so positive sentiment extends beyond sources.

Jaylan Ford and Luke Brockermeyer are both working at Mike but IT sources say they could play either linebacker spot. Both are in contention for real snaps at a minimum.

True freshman Terrence Cooks is already moving up the depth chart. He is also at Mike but repped at Sam during the spring.

Two big variables at the position are Devin Richardson, the New Mexico State transfer, and Dele Adeoye who returned to the program after his extended stay in El Portal Motel.

Re: Richardson: “He’s smart, moves better than expected, plays under control, great work ethic and study habits.”

Re: Dele: “Doesn’t have the body control Richardson does, but he has experience and knows what he’s doing.”  

We’ll see what he looks like on the field, but I liked Murphy as a take because there’s nothing harder to block than a short nose tackle. Can’t fucking get under them and strong as fuck.
  • Hook 'Em 2

That's... only slightly better than a coin flip 4 out of 6 years, and worse than a coin flip the other two.
How's that... I mean, I guess "terrible" would be consistently worse than a coin flip?

I mean, that’s ATS not straight up. Professional sports handicappers are typically
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 1:52 PM, Tex-19 said:

Btw, re: WRs -- don't be surprised if Bijan is one of our top receivers this year. Sark likes throwing to RBs and Bijan is reportedly amazing at it. I sure can't imagine any LBs covering him effectively..

It's not just Bijan. Johnson and Keilan are also + receiving threats.

Just now, Tex Long said:

You beat me to adding RoJo. I haven't seen any of Keilan's games, but if you say so, that would be a Good ThingTM.

Just basing it off the fact Bama was planning on moving him to WR, because he didn't have any catches during his freshmen year.

15 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Really going out on a limb there. You think we’d have been able to beat rice and Kansas if we’d have played them 😀

My guess is Keilan gets used like how everyone wants Whittington to be used, but the injury risk isn't anywhere near as high. Keep in mind that he was listed as a slot receiver for Bama's spring game so catching the ball shouldn't be an issue. 

This offense has me feeling some type of way. Our rushing attack should be good enough to win some games by itself. If the RPO game starts working, watch out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Shit, there is some indication Keilan could even get time at slot.

Im thinking he will be used ala Ramonce Taylor.  Taylor lined up in 3-4 different positions is last year hear.  He played Wideout (remember the one handed TD vs Baylor or the trick play @ Mizzou where we lateraled to him).  He played traditional RB , straight I formation, he played in the slot and he played in a 2 back formation where Davis motioned him out to the flat, not to mention some ST.

• Hook 'Em 1