2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

How in the motherfucking fuckity fuck do we get so many broken feet on this goddam team? Maybe it's just skewed perception, but it seems like a lot...no matter which coaches we have. (Yes I'm aware broken feet aren't something that can be coached or uncoached, let me rant ffs)

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

Humidor

Spoiler

Bad news: Senior transfer outside linebacker Ben Davis broke a bone in his foot and will be out of service for 6-8 weeks. While it hurts he won’t be able to get in conditioning work and will miss some of August practice, it also hurts that it’ll be tougher for him to help entrench the type of culture the staff is trying to cultivate.

From an understanding of scheme standpoint, this shouldn’t affect Davis much and when healthy he’ll be able to return as soon as he’s in football shape. He’s said to be a pretty quick study.

Torre Becton: The new S&C coach is said to be much more of a player’s coach than previous S&C coaches, but he’s made the workouts much more physically and mentally taxing since the beginning of summer. Players who were breezing through spring workouts aren’t getting by so easily.

Drills are designed to make players think while they’re tired and any misstep requires a do-over. If one player messes up, the whole team has to run the drill again.

Maybe this will help with false starts and remaining assignment sound when fatigued. Maybe it won’t, but that’s likely the intention, along with instilling player accountability.

Hardest workers: IT asked around to get a sense of the hardest workers in the program.

DB Jerrin Thompson: Always in the right place, always hustles. Never complains.

RB Roschon Johnson: Takes each part of the process seriously. Weights, conditioning, film sessions... everything matters to Ro-Jo.

OLB Ray Thornton: Challenges people in the weight room. Offers guidance off the field. Always looking for more work.

LB Jaylan Ford: He doesn't say much, but competes hard and always finishes drills with energy. Very eager learner.

LB David Gbenda: Really smart, but not smug about it. Gives 100% in everything. Leads by example.

DL Moro Ojomo: Constantly trying to improve. From the most basic drills, to conditioning, to weights, he seems to be on a personal mission to maximize.

WR Kelvontay Dixon: He never says much, just tries to beat everyone at every competition. He has a serious disposition switch when he gets on the field.

OL Andrej Karic: Another quiet guy that just wants to maul you or outwork you. Great sense of on-the-field intensity, and off-the-field maturity. He's a worker.

Name, Image, Likeness

There is a lot to account for when it comes to NIL and that’s even before you consider each state has its own laws that may advantage or disadvantage schools on the recruiting trail. That’s the other side of the coin. Yes, it’s good these players can make money, but Texas needs to ensure success — even if the rules state the school must remain hands off — in order to help recruiting. This law is an absolute gift to Texas

No surprise here, but from the Texas side of things they intend to err on the side of caution and work at the pace of compliance. Compliance is said to be slowing things down but I’m not sure the football side of things is overly concerned, at least not yet. The priority from football’s perspective is player eligibility, especially for the types who might benefit most from NIL.

From our contacts, boosters seem eager to take advantage of the new laws and “help” for lack of a better term.

Fair market value vs paying players to help recruiting

Nobody knows what fair market value is. Players and those in their inner circle are selling UT basically being a pro team in a large market. There’s some merit to that, but these players on a consistently under-performing team aren’t really worth NFL money, outside of maybe Bijan Robinson.

One donor and wise businessman who is working to figure out if he can strike fair market deals with a couple of priority targets says, “If they can strike ten $10,000 deals, that’s real money.”

Players profiting in that manner would certainly help recruiting, but to really help recruiting Bijan Robinson will need to become one of the biggest beneficiaries of the new rules. The Texas staff needs somebody they can point to on the recruiting trail, somebody who demonstrates Texas’ commitment to being at the forefront of wherever this goes.

Last fall, IT wrote that we’d find out if Texas wanted to be a football school. The triumvirate of Kevin Eltife, Jay Hartzell, and Chris Del Conte certainly responded in the affirmative.

Just seven months later, we’ll soon find out if that’s where the limit of their resolve, and if boosters who are in a position to strike deals are committed to being a football school, all at the speed of compliance, of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC Charlie. So, so bad.

I bet Tom’s walking around showing that chart to everyone who will listen, saying, “See! I got a raw deal. I was totally gonna turn it around.” 

He's got that chart in its own binder.

Siap...

Burton: Only two preseason All-Big 12 selections

July 9th, 2021

Two. Just two.

That’s the number of first-team All-Big 12 selections the Horns were awarded by the media this week.  Bijan Robinson and D’Shawn Jamison.

By comparison, Iowa State garnered eight first-team selections, five on offense and three more on D.

That’s hard to believe. But it’s reality.

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

July 9th, 2021

Two. Just two.

That’s the number of first-team All-Big 12 selections the Horns were awarded by the media this week.  Bijan Robinson and D’Shawn Jamison.

By comparison, Iowa State garnered eight first-team selections, five on offense and three more on D.

They could have at least spelled Bijan’s name right on the press release

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

July 9th, 2021

Two. Just two.

They always suck off OU and Iowa st is flavor of the month, no surprise. Kerstetter and Overshown should first team but whatever 

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap...

July 9th, 2021

Two. Just two.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m on the 8-4 thinking where Vegas has us. First year coach with a first year qb and a new scheme on defense. Should be some kinks to work out. I’m most interested to see how the team and schemes come together as the season progresses. Can see us being a tough bowl matchup at the end of the year with some good momentum heading into year two. 

2 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I’m on the 8-4 thinking where Vegas has us. First year coach with a first year qb and a new scheme on defense. Should be some kinks to work out. I’m most interested to see how the team and schemes come together as the season progresses. Can see us being a tough bowl matchup at the end of the year with some good momentum heading into year two. 

Can you really call Casey Thompson a first year QB? Won’t this season be his 5th year in the program? I mean I know he hasn’t started, but still. 

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Can you really call Casey Thompson a first year QB? Won’t this season be his 5th year in the program? I mean I know he hasn’t started, but still. 

Casey appears to be very smart, a good athlete, and a leader. I thought he looked pretty good in the previous spring practice (2019), and like many of y'all, that he was crazily unused until Sam couldn't go at all, and then he looked damned good. I don't know if Card is so good - or that Casey is so bad - that Card has to be QB1. I'm expecting Casey to be the same guy we saw in the Alamodome, but I think even then Card can't be denied playing time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

The defensive scheme isn’t really that different from last year either.

Huh? It’s completely different. There is very little overlap between Ash and PK’s scheme. PK is way more varied in formation, pass coverages, and DB technique. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

They always suck off OU and Iowa st is flavor of the month, no surprise. Kerstetter and Overshown should first team but whatever 

Kerstetter and Overshown are coming back from injuries. Make no mistake about it though this team is loaded...with potential. Guys will step up. Pre-season superlatives are just a list of the known commodities.

Iowa state being falated in the preseason is as predictable as them picking OU to win the conference. Sports writers are lazy and I doubt they gave more than 5 seconds of consideration for most of their choices. The fact is that there are 3 or 4 players at each position from Texas or other B12 schools that are better players. Iowa State is thriving on perennial underachievement of other programs right now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tell me you know nothing about football without telling me you know nothing about football. 

I know the schemes are different. But I remember PK saying somewhere that he’s not changing the scheme immediately to his since we aren’t where we would need to be personnel wise to run his as effectively and to limit the impact of three defensive schemes in three years. Im expecting it to be somewhere in the middle based on this, but maybe with the transfers he feels like he can expedite the transition. @Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Yeah.....no 8-4 wouldn't cut it. This isn't a normal run of the mill first season. It's not like Herman left the cupboard bare when he got axed. 8-4 would be a failure with the staff that was brought in. Pretty sure Sark even knows he's gotta get this thing kick started as fast as possible.  

• Hook 'Em 1