2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

Anybody who expects worse-than-#MensaTom performance from the '21 Texas season is incompletely decked. Just my opinion, but... All three of 2020's losses were winnable games that were lost because HC was a natural Adept at changing his own poorly thought-out game plans and lack of ability to adjust in-game, even when we were actually ahead or in position to take the lead) into complete disasters.
I can't help but believe that Sark would've come up with proper use of the talent to win any of those games, and likely two of them. YMMV.

This. Texas is undefeated last year with better game day coaching, which is nearly impossible not to get. That’s what made last year so frustrating. It so clearly could/should have been a huge year.

There are some huge pieces to replace but this is far and away a top two roster in the conference. If they’re 8-4 or worse, and it’s not because of a complete injury meltdown, you know Sark isn’t getting it done here. The bar should be a conference championship game appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It’s sad to me that us fans are fully expecting to drop one of the first two games and expecting 7-9 wins.  Fuck losing to some directional Louisiana team and a fucking bottom barrel Arkansas team.  

I could see a loss to ULL and potentially live with it depending on how it plays out. I know it sounds weird saying that, but that’s a legitimately good team. Now I think Texas should be the favorite, but a L there is not necessarily the sign of a failed season (though the optics would be horrible).

I don’t care how much Arkansas fans hate Texas. Everyone hates Texas. Arkansas is garbage and if that’s a loss, cancel the program.

I have to think Sark and staff know how pivotal taking care it business in the nonconference schedule is to recruiting and will give it appropriate attention. I would be really surprised with a Tom Herman vs Maryland kind of loss, where the staff is clearly pantsed, in either game.
  • Hook 'Em 1

ULL is NOT a legitimately good team. They have returning experience, I will give them that but they had no business beating Iowa State last year. We should roll them. If we do not then lets start looking for the next guy ( which I am damned tired of doing)

And while I am at it....every S&C coach is better than the last, every OL ine coach is better than the last.....it has to stop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

image.gif.a4aad40011bb4ce1bce6f9885bfa5cec.gif

Anyone acting like the Big 12 is some crazy feat to win is just delusional.  Maybe one OU team could have had a chance to win a  playoff, but I still believe they would have ate the same shit everybody not named Bama or Clemson.  So that said get the damn program fixed!  It’s been 9 years since butter teeth FUPM shit on our program.  WHERE IS GENERATIONAL COMMITMENT?  Nail OU’s cheating ass!  Raise hell when the Big 12 Ref mafia pull there shit.

Act like the Boss you are Texas!

Be bold!  Point out the BS at Baylor, point out the criminal element at TCU and OU.  Quit being a bitch about throwing your weight around!

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Native Texas said:

Anyone acting like the Big 12 is some crazy feat to win is just delusional.  Maybe one OU team could have had a chance to win a  playoff, but I still believe they would have ate the same shit everybody not named Bama or Clemson.  So that said get the damn program fixed!  It’s been 9 years since butter teeth FUPM shit on our program.  WHERE IS GENERATIONAL COMMITMENT?  Nail OU’s cheating ass!  Raise hell when the Big 12 Ref mafia pull there shit.

Act like the Boss you are Texas!

Be bold!  Point out the BS at Baylor, point out the criminal element at TCU and OU.  Quit being a bitch about throwing your weight around!

Thanks for the pep talk, Daniel.  Now I am ready to run through a wall.  

29 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I can't believe how many of y'all are scared of ULaLa.  Yeah they were 10-1.  In the Fucking SunBelt. Sure, they have some guys coming back. Big fucking deal.

Jesus.

Take away 1 blow out win against Monroe, and they won those games by an average of less than a TD.  

Against Georgia State, Georgia Southern, UAB, TX St. etc.

God, man the fuck up.

But… but… ThEy ReTuRn EvErYoNe!!1! 

If it wasn’t for them pantsing Matt Campbell last year, they probably would have never received this much hype.

But… but… ThEy ReTuRn EvErYoNe!!1! 

If it wasn’t for them pantsing Matt Campbell last year, they probably would have never received this much hype.
An overrated ISU team at that. Don't get me wrong, Matt Campbell is a great coach that unlocks the potential of his lesser talent in the same way Matt Ruhle did at Faylor, but also tends to lose a game he shouldn't..just like Hermie.

It's easy to get your perennial underdog team fired up to play the game of their lives against blowU, Texas etc..but let's see how they do this year when they're far from under the radar and should be favored in every game but one.

IT Scoop

Eric Nahlin

Humble Scribe

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Three young players to watch

IT asked a source for three young players who could start this year but probably won’t.

SO CB Kitan Crawford: “The only thing keeping him from starting is he has two seniors ahead of him. He looks like a pro; he has the focus of a pro; he moves like a pro. Always in control of his feet — never too wide or too narrow. He’s patient at the line and uses his eyes well. He’s a guy who doesn’t say much. Not scared to hit you, will play the run, and he’s smart. He’s not just a corner in college, he’ll be a corner in the NFL.“

That last sentence was in response to asking if he’d be a nickel in the NFL.

We talk to a lot of people and Crawford is roundly regarded as one of the most talented players in the program.

FR WR Xavier Worthy: “The only thing holding him back is weight and that really isn’t an issue either. He runs exceptional routes. He reminds of Jerry Jeudy the way he runs his routes, so fluid. He floats in and out of his routes. It’s the same thing with DeVonta Smith. It looks like he’s not running hard; he makes it looks easy. And he’s explosive, can get to top speed in a heartbeat. He’s not afraid to go into traffic and go up and get it. He has hands too. He makes consistently good catches, one-handed, double toe-tap on the sideline. He can do it all. He doesn’t say much and is business-like.”

DeVonta Smith’s name being mentioned is high praise, but it’s said the man at the top sees similarities to the player he helped turn into a Heisman winner as well.

Worthy isn’t a player IT got to know well, so that last term in the above quote is very encouraging and raises his floor considerably.

FR DT Byron Murphy: “He has the ability to start this year. He won’t because of Coburn and Sweat, but he’ll play. He’s another guy who doesn’t say much so there’s a theme working. He has the confidence of someone who has done it before. He worked over [a potential starter] last week — it was bad. He executes his plan very well. His skill level is advanced. Great footwork and he‘s strong. His body is sync from the ground up. Great center of gravity, good usage of hands. He’ll probably play a lot this year and become a standout the year after.”

Murphy uses his combination of 6-foot-1 low man advantage and feet quite well. Like how certain running backs can be hard to tackle, he’s hard to block. Comps to Bravvion Roy are fair but Murphy is better than the former Baylor standout.

Caveat: Anytime young players receive praise, fans expect them to be All Americans their first game. These guys should be expected to flash physical talent at an early age, but they’ll still have big eyes the first few times they see the field.

LB depth

Joe’s linebacker outlook offered a good opportunity to get sourced material on the position.

How linebacker shakes out will be one of the stories of August camp. “Somebody’s going to be left out,” a source said while discussing all the options.

The most interesting nugget is DeMarvion Overshown is still repping at Sam during player driven practices. Sam is on the field in “base” defense. He is in place of the nickel (Chris Adimora). The Sam is a piece that moves around, typically with getting after the quarterback in mind. He can be off the ball or on the line of scrimmage.

David Gbenda has also repped at Sam, as has Notre Dame transfer Ovie Oghoufo. Sam has some overlap with Oghoufo’s main position of X-backer (OLB).

Gbenda seems assured to start, likely at Will (the in-the-box linebacker). He’s the most trusted to call the defense at this point, plus he’s athletic. “It’s his spot to lose,” IT heard. Jeff Choate had good things to say about the young LB during his on-line coaching clinic so positive sentiment extends beyond sources.

Jaylan Ford and Luke Brockermeyer are both working at Mike but IT sources say they could play either linebacker spot. Both are in contention for real snaps at a minimum.

True freshman Terrence Cooks is already moving up the depth chart. He is also at Mike but repped at Sam during the spring.

Two big variables at the position are Devin Richardson, the New Mexico State transfer, and Dele Adeoye who returned to the program after his extended stay in El Portal Motel.

Re: Richardson: “He’s smart, moves better than expected, plays under control, great work ethic and study habits.”

Re: Dele: “Doesn’t have the body control Richardson does, but he has experience and knows what he’s doing.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Odds of winning each game per ESPN's updated FPI

vs Louisiana: 89.1%

@ Arkansas: 70.6%

vs Rice: 98.0%

vs Tech: 83.5%

@ TCU: 57.7%

vs OU: 28.2%

vs OSU: 71.7%

@ Baylor: 73.3%

@ ISU: 42.7%

vs Kansas: 98.1%

@ WVU: 68.6%

vs KSU: 91.9%

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

FPI is dog shit ESPN made up stat to push narratives, just like QBR.

Building narratives and finding interesting ways to rank performance are core components of sports journalism, especially in the offseason. What else would they work on or write about?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

There's enough talent out there but breaking in a new QB and new system, always causes some disruption. And the OL is still quite terrible.

Yeah, that's about how I see it too. After waaaay too many Maryland flashbacks and Kool-Aid hangovers, I've sworn off the hard stuff until I see us in action. I'll hope for the best but won't be surprised at a bump in the road or two.

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

There's enough talent out there but breaking in a new QB and new system, always causes some disruption. And the OL is still quite terrible.

Ah this BS.  If We’re Texas we shouldn’t be in year 8 of this type of dumpster fire.  

I think Del Conte inherited shit, but if you’re going to be the man at Texas you need to not just stroke BMD’s sooner or later Football has to deliver.

Chris you got no more than 2 years!  I hope and pray this year is not a dumpster fire, but if it is 2022 will be quite stressful..

Basketball and baseball is great place to get noticed, but sooner or later you must fuck the prom queen to run Texas Athletics!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 10:15 AM, victory88 said:

It’s sad to me that us fans are fully expecting to drop one of the first two games and expecting 7-9 wins.  Fuck losing to some directional Louisiana team and a fucking bottom barrel Arkansas team.  And fuck losing any games in the big 12.  We have out recruited every fucking team including ou.  If these coaches can’t get us to 10 fucking wins against the pathetic big 12 and a shitty OOC schedule, then fuck this program.  Fucking aggy is expecting to compete for a national championship with a 1st year QB and we’re sitting here wondering if our new staff can out perform that moron Tom Herman.  10+ wins and a big 12 championship appearance is what we need to accomplish.  

The aggy expectation every year is super bowl or bust (and by bust I mean come up with excuses why they still won it all).

I agree though, we should at least make the big 12 ship and hopefully win it. What's crazy is that probably puts us in playoff territory and I'm ScArEd To DeAtH of watching Nickky Satan vs. his former coordinator. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'll push back against the OL being terrible. Quite average seems right, with enough good pieces to improve a ton with some real coaching. 

Also, I've posted this before but programs who have a lot of talent improve quickly when they upgrade their coaching. All these coaches were basically breaking in a new qb as well:

Notre Dame - 2009: 6-6 2010 (Kelly's 1st): 8-5

Ohio State - 2011: 6-7 2012 (Urban's 1st): 12-0

Michigan -  2014: 5-7 2015 (Harbaugh's 1st): 10-3

Florida - 2017: 4-7 2018 (Mullen's 1st): 10-3

If you hire the right guy, teams that have been underachieving get better really quickly.

These are nice stories, but I'll counter that even Saban had a mulligan year at Bama before consistently dominating. I have us down for 9 wins this year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'll push back against the OL being terrible. Quite average seems right, with enough good pieces to improve a ton with some real coaching. 

Also, I've posted this before but programs who have a lot of talent improve quickly when they upgrade their coaching. All these coaches were basically breaking in a new qb as well:

Notre Dame - 2009: 6-6 2010 (Kelly's 1st): 8-5

Ohio State - 2011: 6-7 2012 (Urban's 1st): 12-0

Michigan -  2014: 5-7 2015 (Harbaugh's 1st): 10-3

Florida - 2017: 4-7 2018 (Mullen's 1st): 10-3

If you hire the right guy, teams that have been underachieving get better really quickly.

Out starting LT Christian Jones was awful in pass protection. Angilau routinely gets beat. Kerstetter is coming off major knee surgery. The rest of the group (Majors, Karic, Ghirmai, Tyler Johnson, etc) are unproven but likely not seen as a threat by speed rushers from OU, TCU, WV, and Ok State. A couple of injuries and it could get ugly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Out starting LT Christian Jones was awful in pass protection. Angilau routinely gets beat. Kerstetter is coming off major knee surgery. The rest of the group (Majors, Karic, Ghirmai, Tyler Johnson, etc) are unproven but likely not seen as a threat by speed rushers from OU, TCU, WV, and Ok State. A couple of injuries and it could get ugly

To be fair, a couple injuries and most college lines would get ugly. That's 40% of your line.

4 minutes ago, Eggo said:

These are nice stories, but I'll counter that even Saban had a mulligan year at Bama before consistently dominating. I have us down for 9 wins this year.

I'm not talking about constantly dominating though, I'm talking about the people wondering how we are going to hit the over at 8.5 because we have a new qb and coaching staff.

Saban didn't immediately turn them into the absolute machine that they became, but he didn't take a step back. 6 wins the year before, 7 in his first year. We won 7 games last season and had 3 games cancelled, two of which would have been easy wins. That was good enough to (rightfully) get Herman fired. No excuses for Sark to get less than 9 wins in his first season. 

Said another way, is there a recent example of a coach that took over a blue blood program, took a step back his first year but went on to have a successful tenure?

• Hook 'Em 4

Let me check my notes and see what I have…..

I have us at 15-0…..wrecking shop the entire way except in the semi-final when we edge out Ohio State 49-27 due to some garbage time scores allowed by the backups.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'm not talking about constantly dominating though, I'm talking about the people wondering how we are going to hit the over at 8.5 because we have a new qb and coaching staff.

Saban didn't immediately turn them into the absolute machine that they became, but he didn't take a step back. 6 wins the year before, 7 in his first year. We won 7 games last season and had 3 games cancelled, two of which would have been easy wins. That was good enough to (rightfully) get Herman fired. No excuses for Sark to get less than 9 wins in his first season. 

Said another way, is there a recent example of a coach that took over a blue blood program, took a step back his first year but went on to have a successful tenure?

UW in Sark's last season went 9-4, then 8-6 and 7-6 with Petersen before 3 10+ win seasons in a row. 

Edit: Not blue blood, per se. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Eggo said:

UW in Sark's last season went 9-4, then 8-6 and 7-6 with Petersen before 3 10+ win seasons in a row. 

Edit: Not blue blood, per se. 

Yeah, not exactly the parameters but interesting example, especially considering Sark's involvement. Admittedly what I'm talking about is going to have a pretty small sample size. 

By the way, how exactly did Washington play 14 games in 2014 without playing in a conference championship? They were allowed to schedule 4 OOC games in addition to their 9 game PAC schedule for some reason. 

32 minutes ago, Fud said:

@Huckleberry thoughts on ESPN's FPI? 

I mean it's a reasonable system but has some issues. Preseason ratings are iffy because they include roster guesses, etc. And recruiting rankings where they use Rivals but not 247, for example at least the last time I checked. Here's how it's done against the spread:

2020 - 51.2%
2019 - 48.2%
2018 - 51.3%
2017 - 51.2%
2016 - 53.4%
2015 - 47.3%

I mean that's not terrible, but there's no reason to take them more seriously than any other advanced system.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Georgia was 10-4, 12-2, 8-5, 10-3 and 10-3 in Mark Richt's last five years (2011-2015). The Dawgs went 8-5 in Kirby Smart's first year, 13-2 in Year 2 and should've won the national title.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah, not exactly the parameters but interesting example, especially considering Sark's involvement. Admittedly what I'm talking about is going to have a pretty small sample size. 

By the way, how exactly did Washington play 14 games in 2014 without playing in a conference championship? They were allowed to schedule 4 OOC games in addition to their 9 game PAC schedule for some reason. 

Again, not a blue blood, but I guess you could look at Matt Rhule winning one game in his first year after Jim Grobe got 7 and a bowl win as interim the year before. 

12 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I think there was a rule regarding playing @ Hawaii and getting an extra non-conf game. Pretty sure I remember that from some broadcast.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

ULL is NOT a legitimately good team. They have returning experience, I will give them that but they had no business beating Iowa State last year. We should roll them. If we do not then lets start looking for the next guy ( which I am damned tired of doing)

I'm going to have to say that a team that:

• went 10-1 a year prior beating a Big 12 team on the road that we lost to at home
  • is 3 time running Sun Belt champ
  • 20 starters returning
  • solid QB who has 43 games experience
  • ended as top 20 team 
  • one of the hottest up and coming coaches 

is a "good" team. 

Should we beat them - yes, and beat them convincingly - yes, but first game out of the gates opens up all kinds of unknowns against that type of team.  I'll take any type of win in this scenario.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Our OL can’t be any worse than last season and now we are actually gonna hand the ball to Bijan. 

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Rule 17.28. 2 States Alaska/Hawaii, Additional football Contest. ... This means if the team has a normal schedule of 12 games when they make the trip to Hawaii, they are permitted to schedule a 13th game. The logic behind this is that the revenue lost from making the trip to Hawaii can be made up in this extra contest.
  • Hook 'Em 1