Coach Sark welcome press conference 4 pm

bigup2dahorns

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think he won the presser more convincingly than what he did to Ohio State’s defense.

Aside from honoring all of the sacred gods of an introductory presser at Texas (a plea to Texas HS football coaches, invoking DKR, repeatedly mentioning “the great state of Texas”) I like that Sark conveyed a level of low key self-assurance and confidence in the face of the whirlwind of tasks in front of him. He repeatedly mentioned authenticity and the importance of building genuine relationships and if he was peddling BS, I currently own several shares in that stock. Buy and hold.

But I don’t think he was peddling BS. I think he’s that guy.

There was a lot of gold to mine, but three statements hit me like I’d just taken a pull on pure oxygen after being trapped in a collapsed mineshaft:

1. “Our goal is to outcoach and outprepare our opponent every week.”

I’ve been waiting for Texas to find a coach who can leverage our natural advantages and vast resources while still maintaining an underdog mentality seeking to exploit the opponent’s scheme and personnel every week and not just “run our stuff.” There’s a dichotomy here between creative game planning and putting too much on the athlete’s plate, but Sark struck that precious balance at Bama and will work to carry it forward here.

2. “This isn’t a destination day for me.”

When those words hit my ears, clouds parted. A chorus of angelic cherubs began singing. Sunshine bathed a field of puppies frolicking.

I’ve observed before that some athletes much prefer being a football player at Texas rather than playing football at Texas. The same can be said of some coaches. The economics at the top of the profession have simply warped reality. If you’re about the distractions, the petty baubles, or the pretensions, this place can be seductive poison.

The Japanese have an expression that roughly translates to “luxury robs valor.”

All gas no brakes doesn’t suggest complacency. Beyond the rhetoric, we just saw a guy put together THAT game plan last night with THAT execution level while working every other waking hour to take on one of the top football jobs in the country.

This opportunity means a lot to Sarkisian. He doesn’t think it’s all over now and that he’s won with this hire and this contract. I believe I saw a guy who thinks the real journey just started. Who wants to complete the Hollywood story of total redemption.

3. “The Eyes of Texas is our school song. We will sing it proudly.”

He went on to say that he welcomed discussion and input on the matter and that it was important to explain the broader issues, but he was also unambiguous.

I’m not interested in discussing the specific politics. Let’s avoid that flaming garbage dumpster. But understand that this issue was a wedge. Sometimes a very cynical one. You either confront it head on or cede authority in the program to other actors within and without who have little interest in the program’s success. It festered due to a lack of leadership and a lack of authentic relationships with the players.

Sarkisian is not ceding his authority.

Time to go hire a staff, land some recruits, and start getting this thing right. Let’s do this.

Gracias

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Why would I care? I'm never going to have to deal with the headache of players who don't want any part of it.

Neither will Steve. That’s the thing- everyone knows the deal now. Don’t like it then don’t come. Problem solved. Herman is an idiot. It’s always better- in any situation to rip the band aid off. Play it. Don’t play it. Whatever. But be decisive, make a decision and move on. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Neither will Steve. That’s the thing- everyone knows the deal now. Don’t like it then don’t come. Problem solved. Herman is an idiot. It’s always better- in any situation to rip the band aid off. Play it. Don’t play it. Whatever. But be decisive, make a decision and move on. 

“Reverend”!

I really think this guy gets it. I was kind of hyped for Herman, but only because I was ready to be done with Strong. Once dipshit did that titty thing against Mizzou I knew we fucked up. A 40-something year old man acting like a child made me roll my eyes. 

I don't get this vibe from Sark. He seems to understand what to do to win and not make excuses. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

In our case, it’s been the same one for decades. 

Ed is a good guy, nothing like Kirk Bohls, but he’s nostalgic. He wants to play aggy because we always did. Fuck them. 

Ed is a name dropping, wishy washy, has-been with awful opinions on just about everything.

I still love you though.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I would like to announce that my staff is at full mast after watching this presser. 

Sark fucks. He’s not a pussy like the last guy. 

Colt can do whatever the fuck Colt wants, motherfucker. 

Kurt is in a constant state of being a dumbass. 

Ewers is gonna like that answer. 

He needs to wipe his goddam boots! Other than that, I don’t care what he does, morherfucker! 😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Final thoughts:

1 - I agree with what somebody said above... Sark comes across as very confident without sounding even a little arrogant.  He strikes me as somebody who WANTS to get to work and work damn hard.

2 - Fuck aggy.  I have no interest in playing them.  But Sark's answer keeps the pressure on them and they will keep saying no.

3 - His answer on The Eyes question was clearly ready to go. It was also spot on.  Nailed it.

4 - LFG!

Answers questions thoroughly and succinctly.  Smart enough to know that the less you say the better... guess watching Saban helped with that.

Saban's longest answers/statements are typically something that he wants the players/recruits to hear.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

In our case, it’s been the same one for decades. 

Ed is a good guy, nothing like Kirk Bohls, but he’s nostalgic. He wants to play aggy because we always did. Fuck them. 

yeah, Ed's OK.  seems good natured.  talked to him night before champ game at bar in Pasedena.  He's not diggin deep with any question.

6 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

After watching the presser, the only thing left for me to know are his thoughts on whether winning football games is hard or not. I have a feeling I know the answer 

Idiot Hack sportswriter - "Coach, is winning football games hard?"

Sark <very matter of factly> - "If your playing us it will be"

/micdrop

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

spacer.png

SPONSORED BY THE TEXAS CHILI PARLOR

2 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

"That is a massive facility"

Those plastic visors are fine for outside, but they don't do shit but delay the virus getting to you by a few minutes inside. Those things drive me batty.

Is the lady in white his wife? or a lady who works with the athletic department?

1 hour ago, Wishbone said:

Here’s to hoping we all end up happier with our coach that we got. I believe Sark may be more motivated and hungrier than Urban in the the long run. Urban would have been great, no doubt, but this feels like it may have more legs under it. I may be full of Kool-Aid, but I’m getting a different flavor. Fight me!

I felt like Urban would have been at UT for 5 years tops, and maybe as few as 3 years if he could get the right recruits, transfers, and stars aligned.

I feel like Sark may be here for 10 to 15 years (if we're lucky). If he learned something from Saban about keeping the fire burning, rather than burning out, if he coaches well this could be his last job. And if he's a good program manager/head coach, I would be very happy with him for the long haul.

• Hook 'Em 1

Press conf was good.  was interesting that CDC and Hartzell seemed nervous, at least to me.  I'm still from Missouri until we see the staff but the NC game was impressive and very hopeful that IF Sark and team can get a stud WR or 2 and build the OL we will be back in business.  we may need to win 45-38 or 50-40 against good teams for a year or so.

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Answers questions thoroughly and succinctly.  Smart enough to know that the less you say the better... guess watching Saban helped with that.

Saban's longest answers/statements are typically something that he wants the players/recruits to hear.

I agree. I thought he nailed the press conference. He definitely has embraced Saban's philosophy of "being the best person you can be each day"  After the 2003 LSU National Championship Nick Saban was at a conference I attended in Destin Florida.  I actually got to speak with Saban one on one for a few minutes. I asked him about the Cotton Bowl game against Texas the prior year.  Saban was extremely impressive.  He said "I don't care if you are sweeping the floors, be the best floor sweeper if that is your job.". Like Sarkisian it was very genuine. I saw some of Saban in Sarkisian today. I was pleased.

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Bullshit between he Huff and Vince he's the only one who doesn't look like he was dressed by a special needs student what with the athletic shoes with dressy clothes bullshit.

Huff is wearing a Polo Shirt. What shoes is he “supposed” to wear? 

4 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
3 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:
Ed Clements asks about scheduling Aggies again and he says he’d love to play that game

aggy

2 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:
His attitude toward Aggie game  is right on. We have nothing to be scared of. We'll dominate them and destroy their in-state recruiting

aggy

Each their own, and all that, but this is the most consistent poster in the history of the interwebs……

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1