87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

The transgender athletics bill seems like a solution in search of a problem. If Usain Bolt announced he was transgender, ran in the women's 100m at sub 10 times, I can understand the discussion of whether that is fair for other women to complete against Bolt. 

But has this become a problem in Texas? My guess is no. Therefore it's an attack on transgender people to punish them.

• Like 2

The transgender sports one is a real tough one for me. I don't want to dismiss someone's desire to be the person they truly believe they are, but displacing traditional female athletes because you still have a genetic advantage also seems egregious. And that's before you consider college scholarships and admittance and the like that it could help. I'd be in favor of a 3rd division, but at the same time, I'm sure many trans athletes would see that as categorizing them as something other than their gender identification, which I'm sure creates backlash. I don't see a solution to this one where most parties involved don't have a legit grievance. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, elfenix said:

danny goeb is an asshole. 

the message might be saying that as well.

It’s been the same LG and 3 speakers under him. It’s not a speaker problem….

3 minutes ago, Chooky said:

It's a process. Before you can fix the power grid you have to make sure kids can't learn about the Lipan Apache tribe or Frederick Douglass. And you can't winterize power facilities without reducing the amount of people voting in Harris County. And we can't have cancel culture clogging up the transformers and the flux capacitor and shit. These things take time. 

Too many trans high school athletes sucking power off the grid to have abortions and then go vote and we need true Texan patriots to shoot the grid with their guns to fix it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dan Patrick isn’t having fun this week. Abbot told him to quit being a bitch about an immediate special session and the House is still busy washing their hair to vote for his “priority” bills.

Tucker Carlson said Abbott seems like a total fraud to the Uvalde mayor.

Trump is dangling endorsements in the AG race between Paxton and Bush.

Sid Miller appears to support a leaked PAC ad with him for Governor.

Allen West loves all of this and I need to start paying attention to SREC streams again soon.

I heard we had to regulate those god damned liberal teachers who are brain washing our precious little Texans into going in the voting booths and voting for liberals because it can’t possibly be things like our creepy behavior, our out dated policies, and the fact that we’re still loyal to a psychotic president who got voted out several months ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So is the grid going to get fixed or not?

No, but this will surely make everyone feel better.

“The bills, which are nearing passage as the Legislature begins its final week in session, would allow gas utility companies and electric co-operatives to issue bonds backed by the state’s assurance that there will be an extra charge on customers’ utility bills to pay back the bonds — a financial tool known as securitization.”
  • Rage+1 1

No, but this will surely make everyone feel better.

“The bills, which are nearing passage as the Legislature begins its final week in session, would allow gas utility companies and electric co-operatives to issue bonds backed by the state’s assurance that there will be an extra charge on customers’ utility bills to pay back the bonds — a financial tool known as securitization.”

Utilities currently negotiate their capital improvements into their rate with the local governments so they can recover the cost of those improvements from their customers. Sounds like this will provide them a mechanism to bypass those negotiations and be able to increase rates to cover whatever improvements they want to do. Granted, it’s not something that would most likely be abused but if the leg approves of it, somebody is getting rich and somebody is getting fucked in that deal.
  • Like 1

The Railroad Commission regulates gas company rate cases. I’ll bet they didn’t say shit.

One of those non ercot commissioners was caught on phone guaranteeing them they’d be paid in full. Instead of the $4 billion the independent monitor said they shouldn’t get.

Actually maybe it was the ercot commissioner now that I think about it. The guy that was absent during the whole shitshow. Not that bill guy that got thrown under the bus. But F them all

Blaming ercot for all of this is too easy. Others deserve much blame. And I don’t mean windmills

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Adorable. It will be the TX GOP talking point until the midterms now.  Dems will waste time on countering their BS instead of hammering them on letting the state freeze to death.

Adorable you think the TX GOP would still not be talking about it if the bill passed. Culture war hasn’t been won yet! 

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1397815853064859649

so it won’t be a tax guys, it will be a fee for the next 20-30 years 

Paying for the storm: Electric, power and gas companies could seek billions in ratepayer-backed bonds, loans

May 27, 2021 at 2:04 a.m.

Most Texans will likely have higher chargeson their power bills for years to come to cover gas utilities', electric cooperatives' and electric companies’ financial losses from the storm and prevent customers from having to pay huge bills in a short time.

Lawmakers may soon approve around $4.5 billion in ratepayer-backed bonds for natural gas utilities and another $2 billion in such bonds for electric cooperatives.

Edited by Gengs1

The most right wing legislative session in recent memory:

Texas legislators have introduced 49 bills restricting voting access, far more than any other state, even as major Texas-based corporations such as American Airlines express fervent opposition.

The sweeping provisions could deal an outsized blow to low-income residents, people with disabilities, city dwellers and Texans of color, many of whom belong to diverse, youthful cohorts whose political views spell trouble for the GOP.

And, in a twist that differentiates Texas from other states such as Georgia and Arizona that have instituted or are planning voting restrictions, some of the proposals impose extreme penalties on people who make even innocuous missteps.

“When you make making a mistake on a voter registration application a second-degree felony, that’s the equivalent of arson and aggravated kidnapping,” said Sarah Labowitz, policy and advocacy director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas.

Conservative politicians have tried to justify the rollback by hiding behind Donald Trump’s claim that last year’s presidential contest was stolen – despite a complete lack of evidence, and even though their party won handily in Texas.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/21/texas-voting-rights-restrictions-republicans

Never forget they claimed Obamacare was rammed through and passed in the dead of night, when it wasn’t. They are literally changing the senate rules to ram it through late Sunday morning 

This is a staggering assault on democracy, and I wish I could say that I’m very concerned how it will be applied, but I’m leaning more towards heartbroken, disgusted, and terrified. The language allows for elections to be more easily overturned or voided based on “a preponderance of the evidence” versus clear and consistent findings of fraud. So, the next time their candidate appears to lose a race, the Republicans can just “make it right” with this new power.  Now add in the “heartbeat abortion ban” and it’s clear that Texas and other states are moving closer to a Gilead type future than I ever believed was actually possible. This damned culture war is destroying, or has already destroyed, our nation. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

This was before they even met to vote last night. Getting everyone riled up before a special session later in the year for redistricting isn’t smart. Pretty clear that Abbott and Phelan aren’t talking to Patrick at all.

And another good one below. Houston’s Republican Party of Texas finance chair getting internet outlawyered

Edited by StassneyHorn

4 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

This is a staggering assault on democracy, and I wish I could say that I’m very concerned how it will be applied, but I’m leaning more towards heartbroken, disgusted, and terrified. The language allows for elections to be more easily overturned or voided based on “a preponderance of the evidence” versus clear and consistent findings of fraud. So, the next time their candidate appears to lose a race, the Republicans can just “make it right” with this new power.  Now add in the “heartbeat abortion ban” and it’s clear that Texas and other states are moving closer to a Gilead type future than I ever believed was actually possible. This damned culture war is destroying, or has already destroyed, our nation. 

The Republican Party has been very transparent about what they plan to do when they lose elections to Democrats in red states.

They are going to use these laws and the administrators they control to overturn elections. 

And Democrats are letting them do it.

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The Republican Party has been very transparent about what they plan to do when they lose elections to Democrats in red states.

They are going to use these laws and the administrators they control to overturn elections. 

For the People Act must be passed. And still I’m not even sure that will stop republicans from ending our democracy 

9 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i actually cried over this this morning. it's devastating when evil wins. 

💔

While I did not move out of Texas because of politics, I am certainly staying the hell away.  The abortion bill was the last straw for me.  Texas GOP, relegating women to second class citizens.  Fuck every single one of them.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That they would actually codify a provision allowing judges to invalidate election results without proof of fraud is breathtaking.

• Rage+1 2