Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

30 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

No. No. No.  PK proved he is one of the best DCs at Washington, even though he was only co-DC and wasn't chosen to be HC when Peterson left.  Kevin Dunn, Paul Wadlington, Ian Boyd, and Bobby Burton all say so.  Just pay 9.95 every month or you don't get it.

I've wondered if it was all Jimmy Lake at Washington. Babers pointed out that Gabriel is the only quality QB we've faced all season, and he torched us. Other than Bama last year, PK hasn't done shit here.. and who knows what role Patterson played in that.

Edited by TXpride

I've wondered if it was all Jimmy Lake at Washington. Babers pointed out that Gabriel is the only quality QB we've faced all season, and he torched us. Other than Bama last year, PK hasn't done shit here.. and who knows what role Patterson played in that.

Milroe is a quality QB. 300 yards passing on the road with limited run game yesterday. JT Daniels 2:1 TD/Int ratio along with almost 9,000 passing yards says he’s decent.

8 hours ago, Monahorns said:

I noticed that too.  The number one rule on the edge is that you don't run up field past the QB.  Hill did repeatedly and once during the last drive.  It was the play where DG scrambled for 30 yards.  5 star talent but the coaches either don't teach or hold them accountable enough to make a play when it counts.

Assuming you are talking about the 4Q drive that led to a missed FG. It was Finkley on the 3rd and 11  and Burke on the 30+ yard run with a tip of cap to Murphy for getting way out of his lane. Hil wasnt in and Gbenda blitzed off the other edge. 

Edited by Codaxx

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

In all their scoring drives, he had about 6 runs, 3/4 of which were designed runs. That was somewhere around 35 yards. He had several break the pocket throws. Again the big one was to Stoops in which Gabriel escaped up the middle.

Edge containment wasn’t a significant detriment in the game based on their scoring drives. Missed tackles by the corners and simply the corners allowing completions were. And ultimately DG rushing yardage in those drives was minimally impactful. Called QB runs were just as impactful.

You’re not going to spy (not that you’re saying this) with a minute left and 75 yards to go. A QB run for 8-9 yards is what we’d dial up.

For two years our LBs show poor patience on QBs threatening the LOS in the pass game. Tech, OSU, and yesterday were big plays because we don’t play situationally. That is hard to do.

I’m not saying the edge guys were good fyi.

That is tough play for a LB. That puts the LB in conflict. I am sure you can remember both these plays. One time Ford turns his back and stays with the receiver giving up an easy 1st down run to 1st down. I think it was the last drive when Ford came up to get DG and he threw it over his head to Stoops for a big game. LB has to account for 2 people and the QB has ability to make any decision he makes wrong. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, utexas8 said:

This was my takeaway. I saw how far away the DB’s were and said yeah we’re gonna lose. The play calling was acting like we just needed to hold them to a FG to win. Even at that, it didn’t work.

There’s a million reasons we lost the game but this is #1 IMO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

That is tough play for a LB. That puts the LB in conflict. I am sure you can remember both these plays. One time Ford turns his back and stays with the receiver giving up an easy 1st down run to 1st down. I think it was the last drive when Ford came up to get DG and he threw it over his head to Stoops for a big game. LB has to account for 2 people and the QB has ability to make any decision he makes wrong. 

Yes, it’s tough. I have no idea what we’re coached, but it’s happened several times in which we’ve left our zones only to complete a pass behind us for a first or TD. It has to be situational. On 3rd and 10, I don’t need to make the tackle 2 yards beyond the LOS. Leaving a zone early is always risky. I’d assume we don’t stress this.

Ideally in this situation, we drop to 12-14 then come up to tackle as Gabriel runs for 8/9, the clock runs for 20 or so seconds. In that situation any QB run short of the sticks is a positive for us. Minimal yards. Clock running with the offensive guys all over the field.

I don’t remember the other one you are referring to. In previous games, Ford has followed the seam so it wouldn’t surprise me that he’d turn and run. Or effectively be man up.

16 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I think we have to exclude Sweat. He was good again. The DEs were dreadful..I can’t remember when it happened, but I remember a drive OU caught Finkley and Burke on the field. They went uptempo and hammered Texas on the edges. 

For the life of me I can't figure out why we were trying to bring so much outside pressure(the strength of OU OL) instead of the middle

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yes, it’s tough. I have no idea what we’re coached, but it’s happened several times in which we’ve left our zones only to complete a pass behind us for a first or TD. It has to be situational. On 3rd and 10, I don’t need to make the tackle 2 yards beyond the LOS. Leaving a zone early is always risky. I’d assume we don’t stress this.

Ideally in this situation, we drop to 12-14 then come up to tackle as Gabriel runs for 8/9, the clock runs for 20 or so seconds. In that situation any QB run short of the sticks is a positive for us. Minimal yards. Clock running with the offensive guys all over the field.

I don’t remember the other one you are referring to. In previous games, Ford has followed the seam so it wouldn’t surprise me that he’d turn and run. Or effectively be man up.

Ideally the DL would stay in the their lanes. That is the 1st defense against a mobile QB. I can get over aggressive, if you are getting to the QB. Texas wasnt. 

The one where Ford turns his back is at 1:03:40 the one where he jumps DG is at 2:30:45. Just highlighting that it is tough spot for a LB, especially vs a QB in his 44th start in a system. DG has the ability and experience to make the LB wrong. 

Edited by Codaxx

Wow, after watching a replay of the game, our defense really shit the bed.  If blOU receivers don't drop 3 passes, Texas easily loses by double digits.

This bend but don't break shit doesn't work PK, especially when you have the better athletes.  So tired of another unprepared defense playing pussy ball in a big game.

PK really fucked up in the Cotton Bowl on Saturday.  🙄

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Wow, after watching a replay of the game, our defense really shit the bed.  If blOU receivers don't drop 3 passes, Texas easily loses by double digits.

This bend but don't break shit doesn't work PK, especially when you have the better athletes.  So tired of another unprepared defense playing pussy ball in a big game.

PK really fucked up in the Cotton Bowl on Saturday.  🙄

I’m pretty sure they expected to win the LOS and create havoc that way. Playing aggressive with that expected advantage exposes your defense more than necessary. 

We also had poor tackling, so thinning the secondary even more than their scheme does would have led to pretty horrible results if DG got the ball out in time. 

20 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I think I posted this (drunk) on Sat, but for those in the know, where the hell were our d ends?  I recall Sweat and Collins making plays.  I don't remember much else from our line.

They were either getting their pussies mashed in on blocks or running past the play.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I’m pretty sure they expected to win the LOS and create havoc that way. Playing aggressive with that expected advantage exposes your defense more than necessary. 

By the 1:16 mark in Q4, it was painfully obvious that our DL was ineffective at pressuring DG. At some point you have to pick your poison. Blitzing can always get you burned, but connecting with the QB gets you sack (they had no TOs), or best case you force a fumble. DG is prone to poor decisions when pressured. PK chose to play prevent against a QB that plays significantly better when not pressured, and lost the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, cochamps said:

DL was held a lot.

hold back.  why on god's green earth haven't we learned this over the last decade? Big 12 doesn't call holding, even now when they have every reason to against OU.  You can hold with impunity.  We should be teaching it as an artform.  

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

That's a PK special.  He loves that shit - always has.  

Ideally the DL would stay in the their lanes. That is the 1st defense against a mobile QB. I can get over aggressive, if you are getting to the QB. Texas wasnt. 
The one where Ford turns his back is at 1:03:40 the one where he jumps DG is at 2:30:45. Just highlighting that it is tough spot for a LB, especially vs a QB in his 44th start in a system. DG has the ability and experience to make the LB wrong. 

Yeah, I think taking the back was the right choice there. When it gets to that point, it’s about limiting the damage.

I can count the number of times Gabriel attempted big boy throws to the field side opposite hash on one hand. Texas would have loved for him to try to throw that quick hitch long throw repeatedly with 1:15 remaining and no timeouts.

We were murdered over the middle of the field that last drive. Had nothing to do with the corners and where they were lining up.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

The coach didn’t love the game plan…. Surly is with the coach

Coach wants a 3 man front vs OU…Surly now confused 

Yeah, Coach commented about lack of aggression on defensive calls, poor play from Ford/Gbenda, and at times the defense looked dead legged and slow.  Speed did not show up, but poor angles/tackling sure did on from Texas defense.  Secondary and LBs also messed up some coverages and at times did not communicate well.  

Honestly, I think the defense was stunned by the QB run and totally lost their focus.  I just don't understand why the DE's constantly kept rushing past Gabriel for most of the game.

Edited by LTtxfan

This is the first time I’m seeing this angle of the stoops completion, SIAP. It looks like Williams bit the underneath route from a running back of all people, instead of staying deep or keeping stoops in front of him. Looks like they went deep 3rds but he should still not bite on that, right? (Side note, Nash is getting a little over the top on Twitter). 

• Rage+1 1

This is the first time I’m seeing this angle of the stoops completion, SIAP. It looks like Williams bit the underneath route from a running back of all people, instead of staying deep or keeping stoops in front of him. Looks like they went deep 3rds but he should still not bite on that, right? (Side note, Nash is getting a little over the top on Twitter). 

Just watched the game again. First down there was no prevent. Our LBs don’t have a great understanding of zone coverage or at least being consistent with it. On the first play, LB depth was poor. Route recognition was poor. No reason for the pass to be caught at 10 yet deeper than you.

The second play. Just a poor job by the corner. Make the tackle. It should have been easy. Interestingly enough, technically it was OPI on Stoops.

The third play to Stoops. Williams/Ford are the keys. Looks like Blackwell guarding grass. Instinctually, Williams should pick up Stoops. What he’s doing 5 yards from the LOS before Gabriel crosses the LOS is beyond me. Ford gets little depth but is too deep to force a quicker Gabriel throw. Both Ford/Williams got themselves in no man’s land for no reason.

Fourth play run.

Fifth play TD. Looks like Burke rushes too wide. He may be trying to draw the tackle but he pushes Brooks too wide.

I didn’t care for the blitz on the TD. But it could have been brilliant. I’m not sure why the more experienced Holmes wasn’t in. And I would have liked to see Stoops harassed at the LOS.

PK has really improved our run defense (QB runs notwithstanding lol).  I said upthread prior to OU that I didn't trust our pass defense.  OU was the 1st good passing team (or one with a non-back up QB) we've faced this year and it showed. Part of the issue is we still don't have a reliable edge rusher.  But a bigger issue is we simply don't defend the pass well, with miscommunication/misunderstanding among LBs and safeties, three years into PK's system. If we played in the big 12 from a decade ago, he would get carved up.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Levi said:

Look to me they both step up to the Qb threat of run and the short route. 

Edited by Codaxx

43 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

PK has really improved our run defense (QB runs notwithstanding lol).  I said upthread prior to OU that I didn't trust our pass defense.  OU was the 1st good passing team (or one with a non-back up QB) we've faced this year and it showed. Part of the issue is we still don't have a reliable edge rusher.  But a bigger issue is we simply don't defend the pass well, with miscommunication/misunderstanding among LBs and safeties, three years into PK's system. If we played in the big 12 from a decade ago, he would get carved up.    

This is a ridiculous overreaction. Our pass defense was good for most of the game, and by any advanced metric, we have a top 10 defense in the country (5th in FEI and 7th F+). The two biggest mistakes by PK in the game were 1)playing way too off at the end of the half and end of game (he turtles into prevent way too much at the end of halves and games) and 2) not accounting for the QB run. Fortunately, not of those are very fixable. We’ll have to see if they get fixed moving forward. I think the second one will, not so sure about the first. 

But this loss was much more on the offense and turnovers than the defense. Quinn threw 2 picks, fumbled, and we hit the punter on 4th and 3. You're not going to beat many top 15 teams in the country when you have 4 turnovers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a ridiculous overreaction. Our pass defense was good for most of the game, and by any advanced metric, we have a top 10 defense in the country (5th in FEI and 7th F+). The two biggest mistakes by PK in the game were 1)playing way too off at the end of the half and end of game (he turtles into prevent way too much at the end of halves and games) and 2) not accounting for the QB run. Fortunately, not of those are very fixable. We’ll have to see if they get fixed moving forward. I think the second one will, not so sure about the first. 

But this loss was much more on the offense and turnovers than the defense. Quinn threw 2 picks, fumbled, and we hit the punter on 4th and 3. You're not going to beat many top 15 teams in the country when you have 4 turnovers. 

Meh, our pass defense is not good, regardless of what adjusted stats say. We've played essentially no one that can pass competently this year, other than OU, yet we've surrendered 200+ yards through the air on average, and our safeties and LBs have looked lost in coverage/burned multiple times in multiple games.  

On OU, I agree the blame goes all around.  But our defense, particularly in the 2nd half, was not "good" against OU.  There were a lot of easy OU fuckups that we did not force that killed their drives (missed FG and two or three easy passes that DG missed come to mind).  When we needed our pass defense to really step up, they shit the bed.  Badly. If that's good defense, I'd hate to see bad.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Meh, our pass defense is not good, regardless of what adjusted stats say. We've played essentially no one that can pass competently this year, other than OU, yet we've surrendered 200+ yards through the air on average, and our safeties and LBs have looked lost in coverage/burned multiple times in multiple games.  

On OU, I agree the blame goes all around.  But our defense, particularly in the 2nd half, was not "good" against OU.  There were a lot of easy OU fuckups that we did not force that killed their drives (missed FG and two or three easy passes that DG missed come to mind).  When we needed our pass defense to really step up, they shit the bed.  Badly. If that's good defense, I'd hate to see bad.  

Your standards for defense might’ve been accurate in 2003, but it’s 2023. Giving up 200+ pass yards per game means nothing, especially when you’re not removing garbage time.

Regarding our defense before the last drive (which we all agree was a fuck up by PK), Gabriel was 19/34 for 227 yards before the last drive. 
 Holding a top 10 offense to 55% completion for under 7 YPA is absolutely a good performance in pass defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your standards for defense might’ve been accurate in 2003, but it’s 2023. Giving up 200+ pass yards per game means nothing, especially when you’re not removing garbage time.

Regarding our defense before the last drive (which we all agree was a fuck up by PK), Gabriel was 19/34 for 227 yards before the last drive. 
 Holding a top 10 offense to 55% completion for under 7 YPA is absolutely a good performance in pass defense. 

It means something when you are playing mostly back up QBs and teams that can't pass. You may not like or wish to ignore the signal it's telling you, but it's telling you something.  Also, we have not had tons of garbage time in our games this year - most games have been close going into the 4th quarter. 

More importantly than adjusted or unadjusted stats though, I care more about continuing coverage busts we keep seeing.  It means our guys don't know what they are doing.  That's mostly on the coaches.  And on the last drive that decided the game, I think coverage busts played a bigger role than the actual coverages PK was calling.  Perhaps that's correctible.  We will see.  

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It means something when you are playing mostly back up QBs and teams that can't pass. You may not like or wish to ignore the signal it's telling you, but it's telling you something.  Also, we have not had tons of garbage time in our games this year - most games have been close going into the 4th quarter. 

More importantly than adjusted or unadjusted stats though, I care more about continuing coverage busts we keep seeing.  It means our guys don't know what they are doing.  That's mostly on the coaches.  And on the last drive that decided the game, I think coverage busts played a bigger role than the actual coverages PK was calling.  Perhaps that's correctible.  We will see.  

Every QB we have played including Gabriel and Milroe has had their worst game against Texas. I do agree that coaches have and will take responsibility to get players understanding the calls and coverages better, but can't say the calls themselves were wrong. It seems every play was someone not communicating or covering as the call required them to.

10 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Also, we have not had tons of garbage time in our games this year - most games have been close going into the 4th quarter. 

You’re just flat out wrong. We’ve been up by 3 scores with 8+ minutes left in the 4th in 4/6 games. That’s the definition of garbage time. 

11 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

More importantly than adjusted or unadjusted stats though, I care more about continuing coverage busts we keep seeing.  It means our guys don't know what they are doing.  That's mostly on the coaches.  

We haven’t had that many coverage busts relative to other college defenses. Most of the deep balls on us have just been guys getting beat, like Watts (3x Baylor and Kansas) and Thompson (Bama game). The nature of these college schemes requires complicated zones and pattern marching coverages. Offenses know they force these defenses and then call plays to put those coverage sin conflict. Every college defense makes mistakes on these, but we’re not particularly bad at this. It’s just another instance of Texas fans paying way more attention to Texas than other teams. 

15 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

And on the last drive that decided the game, I think coverage busts played a bigger role than the actual coverages PK was calling.  Perhaps that's correctible.  We will see.  

PK let them go 70 yards in less than 30 seconds by playing prevent/off coverages that gave up way too much space. They had 3 straight passing plays for 11, 16, and 28 plus a PI to get to our 6 in 28 seconds. That was the biggest issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Offense only put up 23 points on a day they put up 500+ yards. That’s not gonna get it done against any good offense. 

Well damn since you put it like that. And of course, the offense gifted OU a short field early too. And they could have finished the last drive with one more first down.

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

The offense was more to blame, but the defense had a chance to win the game after Sark decided to put it in their hands at the end. 

Offense only put up 23 points on a day they put up 500+ yards. That’s not gonna get it done against any good offense. 

Never really into these kind of things. Offense played generally well, but made mistakes and failed to convert in big moments. The defense was generally poor, but those last drive of each half were just brutal. Both sides of the ball found a way to snatch defeat from the mouth of victory. 

• Rage+1 1

51 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Well damn since you put it like that. And of course, the offense gifted OU a short field early too. And they could have finished the last drive with one more first down.

Offense gifted them two short fields. Quinn’s fumble gave them the ball at the 50, and defense forced a 3 and out to avoid a score. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

PK let them go 70 yards in less than 30 seconds by playing prevent/off coverages that gave up way too much space. They had 3 straight passing plays for 11, 16, and 28 plus a PI to get to our 6 in 28 seconds. That was the biggest issue. 

Good points all Burt, and also by @bschoolprof.      But don't discount the fact as mentioned by bschoolprof that 3 games (Wyoming, Baylor, Kansas) we played the backup QB which could well affect overall defensive stats.    Kansas QB was scratched the morning of the game.

What kind of staff leader is PK ?  Good resume, but ...  Are the rumors true that Bo Davis wanted to leave due to disagreements ?    Read it here so must be true.  😊    

The fact is, the D took the field with a 3-point lead and the opposition 75 yards from our goal line, and say 45 yards from FG range. The one thing the D absolutely had to do was keep the oppo from scoring a touchdown. Field goal, not good, but not the end of the game. Lots of talk about the shitty plan, whatever it was. It definitely prevented a win.

Talking about how the offense - and specifically Ewers - fucked up is not germane to the actual situation, nor is it the focus of this thread. The game is a full 3-team effort - when one team fucks up, the other two have to take up the slack. O fucked up; ST took up part of the slack. D was given the lead, with the opponent 75 yards away from paydirt, not even 90 seconds to work with, and no timeouts. We all know what happened.

How does this get fixed? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:09 PM, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, Coach commented about lack of aggression on defensive calls, poor play from Ford/Gbenda, and at times the defense looked dead legged and slow.  Speed did not show up, but poor angles/tackling sure did on from Texas defense.  Secondary and LBs also messed up some coverages and at times did not communicate well.  

Honestly, I think the defense was stunned by the QB run and totally lost their focus.  I just don't understand why the DE's constantly kept rushing past Gabriel for most of the game.

I am more annoyed after rewatching it, because a lot of the pain was self-inflicted. People  have hammered the coverage bust on the last series, which cant happen.. The QB run was probably the biggest factor in the OU win...  This is example of why it worked. 

This is 40+ yard run. Watch Murphy. It looks like he is stunting into opposite A gap. Nobody is replacing him so I doubt it. 

image.png.55b72502310804aa28d4770026ffc87e.png

image.png.cc41324f66c62c6548b28cdfa81c2f79.png

He is now on the other side of the center. 

Now the seas have parted

image.png.a0d8ca766758e8254a2840663c293f15.png

Ford compounds it by missing the open field tackle.  Just poor discipline. It is from a guy with 3 years experience in the 4Q of game where the QB has hurt Texas all game running the ball. This is not the only example of guys getting out of their pass rushing lanes. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?