Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Kstate offense struggles to go vertical... they love dink and dunk, running the ball, and controlling time of possession to keep their defense off the field.

They are highly efficient in red zone scoring.  

PK better put together a more aggressive defensive plan this Saturday...  Texas defense can not afford to just sit back and allow Kstate to have long drives that consume the clock. We also need to get some fuckin' turnovers -- tackle better and strip the damn ball !!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Kstate offense struggles to go vertical... they love dink and dunk, running the ball, and controlling time of possession to keep their defense off the field.

PK better put together a more aggressive defensive plan this Saturday...  Texas defense can not afford to just sit back and allow Kstate to have long drives that consume the clock. We also need to get some fuckin' turnovers -- tackle better and strip the damn ball !!!

I agree. Come up and challenge the qb to beat you over the top and throw accurately. He has been known to give you a couple, but that's not gonna happen 9 yards off the man on a 5 yrd out route. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Need to stop the option game. Kansas ran for almost 5 yards a carry vs Texas. Their RBs were 16 for 91 (5.7 per). KSU will look at that film and try to replicate it. Secondary cant give up the easy dink and dunk, but this game will be won by running the football and stopping the run. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

They completely locked down that last play. Never seemed it had a chance.

They locked down the crosser on 3rd down as well. Forced their QB to throw a missile into a crowd of players. Actually, after rewatching it again, Texas got lucky Howard threw a bad pass, their WR was wide open. Ford got distracted by the guy that came from the left and followed him for a step or two before realizing he had help behind him, but by then it was too late and #10 flashed in front of him. 

Blackwell had a similar fuck up on the 4th down conversion on the KSU drive to tie it at 30. Our LBs just do a fucking horrible job of pattern recognition and the communication with the safeties is fucking abysmal. Juxtapose that with how KSU defended our mesh concept on the drive to take the lead on 3rd down. Two defenders were ready to tackle Worthy short of the line to gain.

I don't understand why opposing teams just don't run mesh concepts the entire game against us. If you have any speed at the WR position you will get chunk plays on high percentage short throws.

Edited by HtownHorn

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So he lays out all these points, then the two example clips he uses are a safety bust and the worst tackling efforts of the year on what would normally be a 8 yard gain?

It does remind me, but someone needs to tell the secondary that the sideline is their friend.. 

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Isn't it Joseph actually in charge of the coverages? His title is Defensive Passing Game Coordinator. Pete needs to be more forceful to get Joseph to tighten this shit up.

He is.. I still don't fully understand why the coverages are disconnected from the fronts like that and why PK lets that shit keep happening. It was our biggest gripe about year 1. 

How often are we in a coverage where we have 2 deep safeties that have no other responsibilities than a half field zone?  Wouldn't you want some protection if you were going to have your CBs press at the LOS?  Don't we usually have our safeties picking up slots/TEs?  I mean we could keep our safeties in deep zone, but then we would need our LB/NB to man up inside receivers, which might not be a good idea (I mean LBs, Barron would be fine) and could also affect the run defense.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

.. I still don't fully understand why the coverages are disconnected from the fronts like that and why PK lets that shit keep happening.

He goes by that bullshit coaching mantra of letting other guys coach, that's his specialty, I don't need credit, blah blah blah.  He was like that at Washington when Peterson replaced him as playcaller too.  He basically said he was all for it, we're all in this together etc.  I don't think he's the alpha personality that's going to enforce anything on other coaches.  So ultimately this is Sarks fault.  He has to have the nads to make the coaches give him the scheme he wants. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

He goes by that bullshit coaching mantra of letting other guys coach, that's his specialty, I don't need credit, blah blah blah.  He was like that at Washington when Peterson replaced him as playcaller too.  He basically said he was all for it, we're all in this together etc.  I don't think he's the alpha personality that's going to enforce anything on other coaches.  So ultimately this is Sarks fault.  He has to have the nads to make the coaches give him the scheme he wants. 

You'll be happy when he gets poached by USC then

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Some have speculated PK didn't really coordinate the back end at Washington, leaving that to Lake, and conjecturing he does something similar here.  Who knows.  

IK have heard criticism of UW playing soft coverage when PK was here and Lake was the HC

9 minutes ago, cochamps said:

IK have heard criticism of UW playing soft coverage when PK was here and Lake was the HC

Every defense in America does it in some way, shape or form, yet every fan base in America thinks their team is the only one that does it. 

The number of defenses with 5 trustworthy members of the secondary who can be deployed exactly how a coach wants can probably be counted on 1 or 2 fingers. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think PK would go to USC.....sounds like wish casting in that USC report. I don't think we'd be outbid for his services either. 

Unless PK is thinking he wants to change his mind and eventually want to become the HC at USC after Riley leaves or he hates it here (which are pretty much counter to everything we have ever heard) this is just wish casting by the USC $9.95ers..

Go look at all the recognizable DCs in the top 20 and then who has tie to USC but not necessarily only to Riley...

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

So he lays out all these points, then the two example clips he uses are a safety bust and the worst tackling efforts of the year on what would normally be a 8 yard gain?

His first example is literally press man coverage.

Screenshot_20231108_092134_YouTube.jpg.3d550437dfa6604df2ba2c0aaeb15630.jpg

50 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think PK would go to USC.....sounds like wish casting in that USC report. I don't think we'd be outbid for his services either. 

And it would be slightly easier with the Cali taxation, housing costs, etc.  And, as mentioned, the travel is about to get rough for SoCal teams.  

4 minutes ago, Fico said:

Or…. And this may be crazy… we keep our DC, continue the upward trajectory of our defense (which is already pretty good). We are actually getting better each year, and developing players. We haven’t seen that trend since Muschamp was here. 

This.  We're not losing our coordinator to fucking usc.... Nor should we want to.  The list of guys that are possibly better than pk and have an interest in being a career defensive coordinator are few and far between.  Consistency matters.  As much as it pains me to be down on a Texas ex, the biggest issues are on the backend of the defense.  I think we need a change there, whether it's one or both.  Joseph has never stuck around for long and really hasn't been an elite coach outside of recruiting... Which has certainly been very good.  Gideon was a muschamp guy and while I like him, doesn't appear to fit what pk needs.  The staff was thrown together to fit muschamp.  Let him pick his guys and see where things go.   

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Fico said:

Or…. And this may be crazy… we keep our DC, continue the upward trajectory of our defense (which is already pretty good). We are actually getting better each year, and developing players. We haven’t seen that trend since Muschamp was here. 

It amazes me that there are individuals in our fanbase that actually want PK gone after all of the coaching instability we've had over the past decades. This defense has flaws, but they've improved massively since he's arrived.

Definitely things to be improved, and I'm not completely sold on our secondary coaching, but wanting PK gone at this point is asinine imo. It's like we never learn.

Edited by LateAughtsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

People need to believe in the reality that you win upfront and that no matter how good you are you will get beat on the backend occasionally.

The scheme is allowing our DTs to dominate. The front is doing a great job overall. But some of the issue last Saturday was poor to terrible contain in our pass rush.

Sometimes the other guy makes a play. Howard made some damn good throws. Look at the Taafe pick. That was a damn near perfect throw. Great coverage too. Don’t tell me Brooks didn’t impact the WR.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

People need to believe in the reality that you win upfront and that no matter how good you are you will get beat on the backend occasionally.

Bingo.....I wonder how our secondary would look if some of those holds that aren't called get called. I think it completely changes how our secondary looks because our DL would be able to feast if they're not getting tackled.

• Hook 'Em 2