Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It’s not PKs fault but still can’t draw a single holding call

best DTs in the nation can’t draw a call

Jesus we’re blaming the refs for an ass whooping still?  😂. Stop the ref shit as an excuse.  

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Jesus we’re blaming the refs for an ass whooping still?  😂. Stop the ref shit as an excuse.  

It’s why we can’t get a pass rush

if they call a single hold all game mane they stop holding but until they call it they are just going to hold our NFL DTs all game

The offensive performance was not significantly better. We just got worked on both sides of the ball.

Any and all questions and criticisms of Gideon and Jospeh are absolutely more than warranted. We have some of the most suspect DB play of anyone in the top 10.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Brooks is slow, Watts is slower. Muhammad has great COD, long arms, and good technique, but he's light and young.

The safeties are no bueno. The linebackers aren't great in coverage. We are a limited bunch, and we didn't get any pass rush. 

They were working with an NFL QB, multiple NFL O-linemen, and at least 2 NFL WRs. 

Our only hope was for Penix to miss throws. He was on fire from the first snap. This was the result.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Brooks is slow, Watts is slower. Muhammad has great COD, long arms, and good technique, but he's light and young.

The safeties are no bueno. The linebackers aren't great in coverage. We are a limited bunch, and we didn't get any pass rush. 

They were working with an NFL QB, multiple NFL O-linemen, and at least 2 NFL WRs. 

Our only hope was for Penix to miss throws. He was on fire from the first snap. This was the result.

He was on fire because we played passively. When we attacked this year and tonight, good things happened. Penix was going to beat us on great throws. He made a few of them. We didn’t really make him have to much because of the plan we rolled with until the 4th q. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As I said in the game thread, our secondary is not very talented, Washington's line prevented us from getting any pressure, Penix is ridiculously accurate, and their wide receivers run great routes and catch everything.

What sorcery was PK supposed to have used to counter all of that?

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, 6th Street said:

PK didn't have the horses. You can only do so much when Jerrin Thompson and Mike Taafe are your safeties 

and that is partially his, Sarks, and the 2 clown shows fault.  it's year 3.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

We sorely need edge players with the explosiveness to close down on the QB once they get through the LOS. It felt like we pushed Penix off his spot every now and then, but nobody had the athleticism to finish the play off and bring him to the ground. 

2 minutes ago, softlynow said:

He was on fire because we played passively. When we attacked this year and tonight, good things happened. Penix was going to beat us on great throws. He made a few of them. We didn’t really make him have to much because of the plan we rolled with until the 4th q. 

???

We tried to play the tight coverage we featured against Tech and OkSt and got torched multiple times.

Penis was picking on basically everyone. They started playing off more to limit the damage, but we were at a solid disadvantage in the secondary. 

Brooks made his name by playing super physically with Evan Stewart in some camp reps, then became a 5-star from his increased profile and recruitment. Also has very long arms and big hands and positional versatility. Always been a 4.6 range guy though. It's hard to lack athleticism and have poor recognition too. He's easily had the most coverage busts this year.

Tough when you have no one to really push him at that position.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and that is partially his, Sarks, and the 2 clown shows fault.  it's year 3.

You don't just become Georgia/Alabama in year 3 of a program. We barely lost in the CFP with a relatively inexperienced team.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This program is headed in the right direction outside of 1 area. The secondary. 

Need to add more talent but probably also need a shakeup on the staff in the secondary. New corner or safety coach. 

And edge.

Just now, Atticus said:

You don't just become Georgia/Alabama in year 3 of a program. We barely lost in the CFP with a relatively inexperienced team.

none or DB's were really any good or they are coached poorly.  I'm not asking for a DB backfield consisting of Mel Renfro, Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters, Everson Walls.

Tip of the cap to Udub, as their line (in pass blocking), WRs, and QB are elite - the best in cfb.  

Also, our DBs are not very good and we do not have a great pass rusher.  

Given all that, PK is not very good against the pass, and I doubt he will ever be.  We don't do anything well in the backend - man, zone, doesn't matter.  I counted probably 10 times tonight that Washington used motion and shifts and they had receivers catching the ball wide open.   I could see it early in the play from my shitty end zone seats.  That's scheme and loading up on 5 stars won't fix it.  I think we will probably get abused by good passing teams as long as he is here.  

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think we're fine at edge. There will be a vast improvement with the talent that's coming in (Moore and Simmons). 

Yes but by that token hopefully mukuba and the 6 dbs who are all supposedly fast and can cover will help too... And asap if I can dream a bit more

Edited by Nabad

16 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Given all that, PK is not very good against the pass, and I doubt he will ever be.  We don't do anything well in the backend - man, zone, doesn't matter.  I counted probably 10 times tonight that Washington used motion and shifts and they had receivers catching the ball wide open.   I could see it early in the play from my shitty end zone seats.  That's scheme and loading up on 5 stars won't fix it.  I think we will probably get abused by good passing teams as long as he is here.  

I think it's difficult to judge PK against the pass until we have more talent. There's just no covering up the lack of speed/athleticism at safety between Taffe and Thompson. Against a good passing team you're just at such a schematic disadvantage because you have to do everything in your power to protect those two. 

But PK and Sark should get criticism for not upgrading the talent back there quicker. We beat Washington with just 2 average safeties. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think it's difficult to judge PK against the pass until we have more talent. There's just no covering up the lack of speed/athleticism at safety between Taffe and Thompson. Against a good passing team you're just at such a schematic disadvantage because you have to do everything in your power to protect those two. 

But PK and Sark should get criticism for not upgrading the talent back there quicker. We beat Washington with just 2 average safeties. 

Nah, I’ve seen three years. He’s not good against the pass. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

PK didn't have the horses. You can only do so much when Jerrin Thompson and Mike Taafe are your safeties 

I'd be more willing to buy this argument if the secondary didn't struggle against KSU, Houston, etc.

We couldn't generate a pass rush all night - It's a personnel issue solved by a talent infusion or scheme. I felt like I saw too much 4 man fronts, when we do not have the talent to get to the QB organically. UW was blitzing and interrupting our timing on offense. I wish we woulda seen more exotic blitzes and attempts to confuse the UW line in order to get to Penix. Pressure would solve alot of our secondary woes. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This program is headed in the right direction outside of 1 area. The secondary. 

Need to add more talent but probably also need a shakeup on the staff in the secondary. New corner or safety coach. 

Ironic considering it's been one of our stronger positions in our tone wandering the desert. Good news is we should be able to fix it quickly. 

Pass defense has been a weakness for us all year. Nothing that happened on that front should have surprised us. Just not enough experienced athleticism at the moment. Still not sold on Joseph and Gideon, but the personnel just isn't there right now to hold up against a passing attack like that. Good news is, that's probably the last 7th year senior qb we're ever going to face with the way the game is headed. 

I get tired of watching teams like Washington cover all our wr and we have excuses like w have 1 star and pwo as our secondary. Next year we will have a young DL. We have coaches that are supposed to coach them up. Our scheme sucks and is the reason these qbs all have record setting days. If it was just Washington then fine I can live with that but it’s not. It’s not all personnel issues it’s also a schematic issue. PK calls a pussy defense against the pass. 

• Like 2

His insistence on playing base D and not blitzing fucking kills me

We finally blitzed in the 4th quarter and pretty much shut them down. Should have been doing that all game. Penix had all fucking day back there for the first 3 quarterS

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

His insistence on playing base D and not blitzing fucking kills me

We finally blitzed in the 4th quarter and pretty much shut them down. Should have been doing that all game. Penix had all fucking day back there for the first 3 quarterS

Exactly. We need a more aggressive DC. He’s a very conservative DC and doesn’t take many risks, I’d like some more balance towards the aggressive side with blitzes and tight bump coverage that’s mixed in with zone coverage, base D play. 

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Next year we will have a young DL. 

I don't think the DL will be young next year but there are a lot of moving parts. 

If they can find a way to get Caldwell admitted that's a huge influx of experience from the portal between him and Moore. 

We blitzed throughout the game guys. Their OL far outplayed ours in pass pro. 

Part of that is Quinn in the pocket. Part of that is individual OL failures. Part of that is a guy like Bralen Trice being too much for our guys.

I saw a few snaps where Their TE Westover was blocking Sorrell 1 on 1. Can you imagine JT Sanders even coming close to doing that on Trice or ZTF?

We finally started getting some pressure near the end, but Penix was more than able to handle it by moving in and out of the pocket. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Pass defense starts upfront. 40 dropbacks and no sacks.

In spite of what happened on the back-end, the pass rush had little positive impact. Not only no negative plays, but limited hits, throwaways, throw before he was ready type plays.