Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

Top 4 most popular sport in America. Oldest sport league in the country. 

Hey, what size should we make the playing field?  

Whatever the fuck you want!!!

(college field, but same lack of regulation)IMG_5540.thumb.jpeg.91de5f8516090ffe3ee4bdfcea6a52e5.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2024 at 7:46 AM, Helobious said:

When was the last time you were asked or had to fill out anything about a peanut allergy while buying a plane ticket? Never? Yep. The “peanut allergy” thing was just a cost-cutting guide by airlines to move to the cheaper snack mix. 

Yeah - probably not. Peanuts are dirt cheap.

15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

(college field, but same lack of regulation)IMG_5540.thumb.jpeg.91de5f8516090ffe3ee4bdfcea6a52e5.jpeg

Fun fact: soccer fields don’t have specified dimensions either. Several premier league fields are unique sizes.

I know when Amazon talked about delivering via drones years ago, it seemed so goofy and outlandish to me. Now, I'm wondering why the hell we don't have it in place already.

It makes no sense that I get in a 2,000 pound vehicle burning dead dinosaur juice to move me two miles away to pick up a burrito. It's insane when you think about how inefficient it is. Most of the time I just think it's not worth the trouble/inefficiency and end up making a steel shank-style concoction.

29 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I know when Amazon talked about delivering via drones years ago, it seemed so goofy and outlandish to me. Now, I'm wondering why the hell we don't have it in place already.

It makes no sense that I get in a 2,000 pound vehicle burning dead dinosaur juice to move me two miles away to pick up a burrito. It's insane when you think about how inefficient it is. Most of the time I just think it's not worth the trouble/inefficiency and end up making a steel shank-style concoction.

• Rage+1 1

I have a rosemary plant in the front next to the sidewalk. Every fucking dog that passes smells this thing and then takes a piss on it. Am I an asshole for wanting to put a sign telling people not to let their dog piss on my plants?

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have a rosemary plant in the front next to the sidewalk. Every fucking dog that passes smells this thing and then takes a piss on it. Am I an asshole for wanting to put a sign telling people not to let their dog piss on my plants?

Lol if you think a sign would deter people.  Put some vinegar around the plant.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:15 PM, 52-80 said:

Field inspiration… 

Spoiler

image.jpeg.9f9c4f3863fdf7000dfd730d9f3d6940.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Put mousetraps around the plant. 

• Haha 1

Judith Love Cohen was an American aerospace engineer who helped create the Abort-Guidance System that rescued the Apollo 13 astronauts. When she went into labor, she went to work. She took a printout of a problem she was working on to the hospital. She called her boss and said she finished the problem and gave birth to Jack Black.

• Like 4

One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made in my entire life was investing in the stock market and real estate. Just looked at my CSGO skin inventory and some of the bullshit skins I bought years ago for $1 to $2 here and there are now selling for $500+. This is fucking crazy. If I had done that the entire time my ass would be retired.

"Academy is stink bait for men."  An observation by Frau Meister earlier today.  Spot on, if you ask me.
Academy sucks ass and never has anything I need. I leave disappointed 100% of the time. Fishing stuff? Nope. Kids soccer cleats? nope. Camping gear? nope.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Born to Run said:
On 3/22/2024 at 2:36 PM, Scheiss Meister said:
"Academy is stink bait for men."  An observation by Frau Meister earlier today.  Spot on, if you ask me.

Academy sucks ass and never has anything I need. I leave disappointed 100% of the time. Fishing stuff? Nope. Kids soccer cleats? nope. Camping gear? nope.

She said stink bait, not live shrimp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
On 3/22/2024 at 8:36 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

Real men prefer Dick’s

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

It seems like it's gone downhill. Still ok, but it used to be the place.

19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not a fan of houses where the stairs are right next to the front door.  

Not a fan of houses with stairs. Lived in them in the Houston area for ~20 years. Now in a single level home in ETX and I’m loving it. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Real men prefer Dick’s

Tractor Supply is THE place to be when the zombie apocalypse arrives.  Tools, clothes, chickens, seeds, knives.  If they ain't got it, you don't need it.

• Like 1

Does it seem to anyone else that straws are harder to open these days? Back in the day, you'd just grab it, bump it on a hard surface, and the top would pop out. Now, it seems like half the time I do that, the straw just bends. I couldn't even get one open this morning and had to grab the paper edge and peel it off. Fucking ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Yes.

On an unrelated note, it’s my MIL to be’s 80th birthday today. To celebrate, she’s going to sky dive today.

My question is what words of encouragement should one offer to a first time sky diver? Good luck? Break a leg? Neither of those seem right.

18 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yes.

On an unrelated note, it’s my MIL to be’s 80th birthday today. To celebrate, she’s going to sky dive today.

My question is what words of encouragement should one offer to a first time sky diver? Good luck? Break a leg? Neither of those seem right.

“Am I in the will?”  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Does it seem to anyone else that straws are harder to open these days? Back in the day, you'd just grab it, bump it on a hard surface, and the top would pop out. Now, it seems like half the time I do that, the straw just bends. I couldn't even get one open this morning and had to grab the paper edge and peel it off. Fucking ridiculous. 

Never noticed until you mention it, but yeah, they are. I think I've subconsciously changed my approach to grip the straw lower before I do it and it works better.

*oh my god what am i doing with my life that i am explainign my straw opening technique and how it has changed to strangers on the internet. i need a hobby. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Never noticed until you mention it, but yeah, they are. I think I've subconsciously changed my approach to grip the straw lower before I do it and it works better.

*oh my god what am i doing with my life that i am explainign my straw opening technique and how it has changed to strangers on the internet. i need a hobby. 

<Narrator: Despite over 8,000 posts, it never occurred to FTC that Surly was in fact his hobby.>

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

When I speak in Spanish with native Spaniards/Mexicans/Latin Americans, we say "eh" a lot.  For some reason it just comes natural, nowhere near as annoying as "like".  But the incessant use of the word "like" in English conversations drives me fucking insane.  And let's be honest, I'm already insane, I don't need any help.  I get to spend time around some of the smartest business school students in the country and they still use "like" four times in one sentence and it makes my teeth itch.  My two girls have wonderful vocabularies for their age and are very articulate but they just pick up on it from their friends and I try to gently course correct them, "Was your friend 'like let's go to the park' or did your friend say 'let's go to the park?"  Don't get me wrong, I still use it incorrectly a few times per day, but if you add on how much time our use of "like" and other space-fillers in our English language, it's literally (and I mean that in the literal use of the word)...we probably eat up between us and the other talker a few minutes per day on  incessant mouth noises that add zero the to value of the conversation.  Like sitting at stoplights, it eventually adds up to a substantial amount of time over the course of your life.  And unlike being able to scroll past my longcast posts, you can't scroll through an in-person conversation with some dumbass 'adult' who can't put 3 sentences together in under 90 seconds.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

When I speak in Spanish with native Spaniards/Mexicans/Latin Americans, we say "eh" a lot.  For some reason it just comes natural, nowhere near as annoying as "like".  But the incessant use of the word "like" in English conversations drives me fucking insane.  And let's be honest, I'm already insane, I don't need any help.  I get to spend time around some of the smartest business school students in the country and they still use "like" four times in one sentence and it makes my teeth itch.  My two girls have wonderful vocabularies for their age and are very articulate but they just pick up on it from their friends and I try to gently course correct them, "Was your friend 'like let's go to the park' or did your friend say 'let's go to the park?"  Don't get me wrong, I still use it incorrectly a few times per day, but if you add on how much time our use of "like" and other space-fillers in our English language, it's literally (and I mean that in the literal use of the word)...we probably eat up between us and the other talker a few minutes per day on  incessant mouth noises that add zero the to value of the conversation.  Like sitting at stoplights, it eventually adds up to a substantial amount of time over the course of your life.  And unlike being able to scroll past my longcast posts, you can't scroll through an in-person conversation with some dumbass 'adult' who can't put 3 sentences together in under 90 seconds.  

Like TLDR

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Interesting.

I thought it may have been "pues," but I guess that's just used when starting up, or as an initial word in a response.

It came up because I was listening to an interview of Kristen Stewart and similarly, it was driving me crazy how often she used like. It was every 5th word in some sentences. I think I usually block it out but it was excessive.

30 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Interesting.

I thought it may have been "pues," but I guess that's just used when starting up, or as an initial word in a response.

It came up because I was listening to an interview of Kristen Stewart and similarly, it was driving me crazy how often she used like. It was every 5th word in some sentences. I think I usually block it out but it was excessive.

"Pues" is a more geographically phonetic deal.  My mother's family didn't use it and when she spoke to me in Spanish (her primary language), it wasn't imparted on to me.  But yes, there are some Spanish speakers here in Texas that use is as a filler or pause very frequently and still others that almost never use it.  It's quite binary in that regard.  There are some folks I know from Mexico that use it multiple times in a sentence and still others from Mexico that use it maybe once in an hour long lunch.  The Europeans and Asians I know at school/business/etc.  They either pickup on "Like" and use it an annoying amount of times every minute.  Or they simply don't use it at all.  It's an interesting binary result.  And back to America, we use it with annoying frequency and it crosses all races/education levels/et. al.  In the end, it's 3 months of my life I'll never get back.  /cloudrant

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

"Pues" is a more geographically phonetic deal.  My mother's family didn't use it and when she spoke to me in Spanish (her primary language), it wasn't imparted on to me.  But yes, there are some Spanish speakers here in Texas that use is as a filler or pause very frequently and still others that almost never use it.  It's quite binary in that regard.  There are some folks I know from Mexico that use it multiple times in a sentence and still others from Mexico that use it maybe once in an hour long lunch.  The Europeans and Asians I know at school/business/etc.  They either pickup on "Like" and use it an annoying amount of times every minute.  Or they simply don't use it at all.  It's an interesting binary result.  And back to America, we use it with annoying frequency and it crosses all races/education levels/et. al.  In the end, it's 3 months of my life I'll never get back.  /cloudrant

I think it’s regional. Although born in Venezuela, I was raised in a Northern Mexican-American culture. In my experience, it’s “este,” “como,” “pues,” and the universal “ok.”  But I’ve been all over the Spanish-speaking world and there are others. 

• Like 1

Yeah, now that I'm thinking about it.  Her side of the family, including me, do use "este" with some frequency.  Not so much the other fillers, but "este" does come up a bit.  They don't even really use "eh" that much, I do having lived in Spain...and that's a whole other shitbag to unpack because having grown up with her Monterrey/South Texas accent/vocabulary...I dismissed the language from about ages 5-10.  So then I go and re-learn it from teachers trained in Spain and then lived there for a year.  So my accent is predominantly Castilian instead of my mother's native accent from Northern Mexico.  And I try and switch back and forth when doing business with folks from Mexico, but it comes out all jammed up.  By my go-to filler is still 'eh'.  I think I shared this before, but during Covid...when everybody was wearing masks...I didn't realize how much i relied on watching people's mouths when they are speaking in Spanish.  And I couldn't see it, despite hearing just fine.  Finally, one guy from Mexico just laughed and grilled me, "Why the fuck do I have to repeat everything 3 times to you now?"  And I discovered how much more Spanish I absorb from just watching the person's mouth/face than the actual audio.  Good news is I got much better at speaking Spanish, bad news is I didn't understand jackshit.  /csb

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, now that I'm thinking about it.  Her side of the family, including me, do use "este" with some frequency.  Not so much the other fillers, but "este" does come up a bit.  They don't even really use "eh" that much, I do having lived in Spain...and that's a whole other shitbag to unpack because having grown up with her Monterrey/South Texas accent/vocabulary...I dismissed the language from about ages 5-10.  So then I go and re-learn it from teachers trained in Spain and then lived there for a year.  So my accent is predominantly Castilian instead of my mother's native accent from Northern Mexico.  And I try and switch back and forth when doing business with folks from Mexico, but it comes out all jammed up.  By my go-to filler is still 'eh'.  I think I shared this before, but during Covid...when everybody was wearing masks...I didn't realize how much i relied on watching people's mouths when they are speaking in Spanish.  And I couldn't see it, despite hearing just fine.  Finally, one guy from Mexico just laughed and grilled me, "Why the fuck do I have to repeat everything 3 times to you now?"  And I discovered how much more Spanish I absorb from just watching the person's mouth/face than the actual audio.  Good news is I got much better at speaking Spanish, bad news is I didn't understand jackshit.  /csb

Yeah, my Northern Mexican-American Spanglish is all kinds of screwed up. My Venezuelan friends laugh at my use of “troka,” (instead of “camioneta”) etc. Spanglishisms. And dealing with rapid-fire Spaniards or Argentinians is funny. 

Of the 5 romance languages, it really is the most expanded.  From Spain to the Falklands to San Antonio...I don't really still fully understand the expanse and nuance of the accents and vocabulary.  Which to our credit, is understandable, given the massive geographic landscape.  I mean, yeah there's Portugal and Brazil, and French still has some linguistic influence around the globe.  Italian and Romanian...not so much.  But the variation in Spanish is just so massive in terms of geography.  My daughter watches this Australian show on her iPad and asks a few questions about their terminology versus our version of English.  And she's getting really fluent in Spanish and notices that my mother speaks one way, I speak another way, and her Spanish teacher speaks another way.  And I don't even know how to tell her, "Sweetheart, you have no idea.  I get looked at one way with my accent in Mexico as overly colonial.  I stammer another way in Madrid.  our family in Lisbon/Oporto laugh at me another way.  I'm a man without a country in the Rio Grande Valley.  I can barely understand my uncle.  In Costa Rica, my Spanish is a cardinal sin.  My Mexico friends and colleagues here in Austin talk to me like I have a learning disability.  And the one day I visited Andorra, I was greeted with great adulation and my accent was considered spot-on.  /csb

I guess it's like the geography of English in the United States.  Some people can actually speak the language.  And then you got Alabama.  

• Like 1

The kid and all her middle schools pals walk around wearing AC/DC, Metallica, G&R, Nirvana, etc shirts, it’s a thing with them. But while driving them around less than 30 seconds into any song from those bands and they’re yelling for me to change the radio to Hits 1 on Sirius.

• Haha 1

Im so happy for my old folks. While working , they never showed any inclination for travel, nor had the economics or opportunity.

Now that theyre retired, theyre jetting around like goddamn bohemians. This summer theyre linking up to europe to southeast asia to east asia to oceania and back home on a single trip. 1 or 2 of those are for specific events, and the rest purely cuz my mom thought ‘it might be fun’

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Im so happy for my old folks. While working , they never showed any inclination for travel, nor had the economics or opportunity.

Now that theyre retired, theyre jetting around like goddamn bohemians. This summer theyre linking up to europe to southeast asia to east asia to oceania and back home on a single trip. 1 or 2 of those are for specific events, and the rest purely cuz my mom thought ‘it might be fun’

I spent a 25+ year career in the energy industry jetting around the world. Now that I have some grey hair the last thing I want to do is travel. Hell, I don’t even want to go out to eat. 

• Hook 'Em 2