Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Until she died I’d never heard Tina Turner referred to as the queen of rock and roll, now they say it every time they mention her name. I don’t even know if much of her music could even be called rock and roll.

Motown, funk, jazz, soul, and later pop. But not much Rock & Roll. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

Until she died I’d never heard Tina Turner referred to as the queen of rock and roll, now they say it every time they mention her name. I don’t even know if much of her music could even be called rock and roll.

When Elton John dies, he'll be the new Queen of Rock and Roll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

Went to a beach wedding this evening for the guy that mosquito sprays my yard and his ex con girlfriend. (Some people move to the beach and others just seem to wash up here) Out of the 60 or so men in attendance I’d say 55 of them were wearing cheap short sleeved button up fishing shirts with either Crocs or sandals of some type. It’s the go to uniform for events where you’re expected to wear something fancier than a t shirt. Mine was light grey!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, nnm said:

Motown, funk, jazz, soul, and later pop. But not much Rock & Roll. 

Well you can't call Tina "Queen of Soul", that's Aretha for decades

"Queen of Motown" is already taken by Mary Wells.

Chaka Kahn is the "Queen of Funk" though couldn't hold Tina's purse.

"Queen of Jazz" is my gal, the great Ella Fitzgerald 

I guess they could dubbed her Queen of Pop, but as you say...it was a money pivot later in his career when there were hordes of female pop singers.

So all that was left is "Queen of Rock 'n Roll"   Doesn't really fit, but she deserves some kinda-Queen title given her all-around badassness.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, GoPokes83 said:

Out of the 60 or so men in attendance I’d say 55 of them were wearing cheap short sleeved button up fishing shirts with either Crocs or sandals of some type

55 Surly members in attendance. Impressive. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Out of the 60 or so men in attendance I’d say 55 of them were wearing cheap short sleeved button up fishing shirts with either Crocs or sandals of some type. It’s the go to uniform for events where you’re expected to wear something fancier than a t shirt. Mine was light grey!

I have a dry-fit Texas Golf polo for just such occasions. That’s about as “dressed up” as I feel like getting these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

One nice thing about Covid-19, most of us quit giving a flying fuck about attire.  I haven't bought a suit in 4 years.  Only worn one a handful of times, for funerals mostly, during that time.  Friend received a pretty big award two weeks ago and invite said "Cocktail attire" so I wore a suit and pocket square.  I got there and he was genuinely unnerved that most of us guys weren't wearing ties.  Cocktail attire meant no tie before Covid, and it sure as shit means it now.  

For a wedding, I just wear what the bride wants.  Not my time to be comfortable, whatever is gonna make her and her mom shut the fuck up.  

But funerals.  Always a black suit, white shirt, black tie.  Always.  If spending the time and money to get it right (dry cleaning, shoe shine, etc.) so the grieving family has just one second of, "Oh, he/she would have liked people looking so nice today..." then it's worth it.  

A favorite memory of mine from my father's wake was all these former truck drivers and fishing buddies showed up and most were very casually dressed and I didn't give a shit.  But much of his family being old school, were all dressed up.  So these guys were in the lobby tucking in shirts and trading off suit jackets to wear before they walked the line, etc.  My dad would have loved it, he didn't fuck one about clothes.  Anyway, one guy is in a fishing shirt and shorts (keep in mind this is Chicago in February).  And my cousin from Florida said, "I didn't know Jimmy Buffet had passed, sorry for your loss."  /csb 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Holy shit.  The look on the old man's face in the background, "I can't believe these tubs of shit are my grandsons."  

They obviously have to keep the house at like 60 degrees to keep from passing out (too late), so the poor grandpa has to dress like he's in Siberia.  

And the half-drank bottle of vegetable oil on the pool table is a nice Chekhov's Gun plot device.  

"We're gonna overthrow the government!  Let me just sit down for a minute before we leave.  Hang on.  Just gonna rest my eyes.  Wait.  Get the ammo.  I just gotta.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Holy shit.  The look on the old man's face in the background, "I can't believe these tubs of shit are my grandsons."  

They obviously have to keep the house at like 60 degrees to keep from passing out (too late), so the poor grandpa has to dress like he's in Siberia.  

And the half-drank bottle of vegetable oil on the pool table is a nice Chekhov's Gun plot device.  

"We're gonna overthrow the government!  Let me just sit down for a minute before we leave.  Hang on.  Just gonna rest my eyes.  Wait.  Get the ammo.  I just gotta.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Nah man. That house is probably at 78, and gramps can’t stand it til it’s mid to upper 80’s.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, YGIFS said:

One nice thing about Covid-19, most of us quit giving a flying fuck about attire.  I haven't bought a suit in 4 years.  Only worn one a handful of times, for funerals mostly, during that time.  Friend received a pretty big award two weeks ago and invite said "Cocktail attire" so I wore a suit and pocket square.  I got there and he was genuinely unnerved that most of us guys weren't wearing ties.  Cocktail attire meant no tie before Covid, and it sure as shit means it now.  

For a wedding, I just wear what the bride wants.  Not my time to be comfortable, whatever is gonna make her and her mom shut the fuck up.  

But funerals.  Always a black suit, white shirt, black tie.  Always.  If spending the time and money to get it right (dry cleaning, shoe shine, etc.) so the grieving family has just one second of, "Oh, he/she would have liked people looking so nice today..." then it's worth it.  

A favorite memory of mine from my father's wake was all these former truck drivers and fishing buddies showed up and most were very casually dressed and I didn't give a shit.  But much of his family being old school, were all dressed up.  So these guys were in the lobby tucking in shirts and trading off suit jackets to wear before they walked the line, etc.  My dad would have loved it, he didn't fuck one about clothes.  Anyway, one guy is in a fishing shirt and shorts (keep in mind this is Chicago in February).  And my cousin from Florida said, "I didn't know Jimmy Buffet had passed, sorry for your loss."  /csb 

This is the last suit I bought - 1986 (on the left below) - last wore it in 1988.
Last time I wore a coat & tie (rented tux) was to my son’s first wedding in 1991. Wore a Guayabera & was barefoot at his second wedding on a beach in the Bahamas in 2004.

4B2716A7-D869-42DA-BA84-077374244593.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/29/2023 at 9:35 PM, YGIFS said:

I guess they could dubbed her Queen of Pop, but as you say...it was a money pivot later in his career when there were hordes of female pop singers.

I always thought Madonna was the Queen of Pop. I could've sworn I've heard that somewhere. 

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

And just two generations ago from drinking at work and being able to legally grab the ass of your secretary.  Thanks a lot Bin Laden!

Back in the mid 80's I sold safety equipment  to the Miller plant in Fort Worth. They had 10 cent beer machines in the employee lunch/break room. Pop a top for morning break!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

After the long opening weekend of summer and driving the beach on the golf cart pretty much non stop for 3 days straight I have to say the number of big, completely out of shape XXL+ size girls in small bikinis who obviously DGAF about how they look is simultaneously disappointing and inspiring. No pics, and you’re welcome.

I always equate de Niro and Pacino together. Similar intense characters in movies, universal acclaim as actors, Godfather trilogy, Heat...
Knocking up women born when Heat was released
https://apnews.com/article/al-pacino-baby-13bc151918ddfae5a70dc15b3df89a86
Instead of a nanny, that kid is going to need a Manny.

Poor mom won't be able to tell whose diaper is stinky.

Adults who make/collect Legos. I don't get it.

But more baffling is $260 for an inoperable Lego Pac Man counter size "game" model that "works" by turning a crank to make Lego ghosts lurch along a track.

An actual licensed playable Lego Pac Man counter video game, plus Galaga, is $40 cheaper.

News flash: the sky is blue, and people spend money on dumb shit.

Adults who make/collect Legos. I don't get it.
But more baffling is $260 for an inoperable Lego Pac Man counter size "game" model that "works" by turning a crank to make Lego ghosts lurch along a track.
An actual licensed playable Lego Pac Man counter video game, plus Galaga, is $40 cheaper.
News flash: the sky is blue, and people spend money on dumb shit.
My 16 year old son and I built a bad ass VW camper van and a Mustang in the evenings after homework and before bed. Relaxing way to end the day and shoot the shit.

User name checks out.

You both made them with your kids though, that's great.

My 12 year old made that same Apollo Saturn V last Christmas and I agree it's impressive.

But would you buy a Pac Man counter model for $270 instead of the actual counter size game for $230?

That was the main random thought part I didn't get.

What's with the guys that don't wash their hands after taking a piss? If you're in there alone and you skip it, whatever. But when there's someone else in the bathroom, these guys that only do the most cursory splash of water on their hands, no soap, is just dumb. You KNOW they think it's wrong to not wash up because they do the bare minimum of washing and it's only so YOU won't think they're a fucking pig.

Either stand firm to your no hand-washing stance or wash your hands like an adult.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/30/2023 at 9:46 AM, YGIFS said:

I used to wear a suite and tie every day (except for Hawaiian Shirt Friday's, obviously). Now everyday, I wear a shorts, a t-shirt and tennis shoes for work. I no longer give fucks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

What's with the guys that don't wash their hands after taking a piss? If you're in there alone and you skip it, whatever. But when there's someone else in the bathroom, these guys that only do the most cursory splash of water on their hands, no soap, is just dumb. You KNOW they think it's wrong to not wash up because they do the bare minimum of washing and it's only so YOU won't think they're a fucking pig.

Either stand firm to your no hand-washing stance or wash your hands like an adult.

Years ago,  I worked with  a ton of aggys at Briggs Weaver in Dallas, who didn't wash their hands after they pissed. When I called them out on it they all said "we didn't piss on out hands". I told them I didn't want to shake hands with their dicks either so I refused to shake a lot of hands. 

• Hook 'Em 1