Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

I needed a purple onion yesterday and stopped in Wal Mart to get grab one, 60 bucks later I checked out. I’m sick to death of spending money, I swear every damn day seems to nickel and dime me out of 2-300 dollars!! I swore today I wasn’t going to spend a dime, but just remembered the beer fridge is dangerously low and I’m pretty certain I’m going to be thirsty later. Dilemmas…

Margaritas to the rescue!

Disneyland is an amusement park like six flags. Disneyworld is a destination unto itself. There's 4 amusement parks, 2 water parks and multiple 18 hole golf courses. There's also 4 or 5 hotels/resorts on the property. It's like a week's worth of shit to do without ever having to leave the property. It's pretty fucking cool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Why does everyone go to Disneyworld and not Disneyland? Even my guy in Colorado is taking his family to Disneyworld. What's wrong with Disneyland besides being in California?

I’ve been to both. Disneyland doesn’t compare. Disney World is much bigger and better. I mean, you’re comparing a land to a whole world. It’s what you would expect the difference to be. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve been to both. Disneyland doesn’t compare. Disney World is much bigger and better. I mean, you’re comparing a land to a whole world. It’s what you would expect the difference to be. 

Agreed. If you’re already in LA, or close, that’s one thing. However if you’re planning a trip just to go to Disney, you go to the one with the most shit.

If you’ve never been to either and want to do both, to Cali first or you will probably be disappointed.

In general anyway. Some people like to go to both now and then. But the average family that may go once, go FL. 

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Why does everyone go to Disneyworld and not Disneyland? Even my guy in Colorado is taking his family to Disneyworld. What's wrong with Disneyland besides being in California?

Let's step back a bit... people actually WANT to go to Florida?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I hear ya. I went to Krogers to pick up a cake my wife ordered. It was $17. I ended up spending $125. Shit is crazy.

*Kroger

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

I needed a purple onion yesterday and stopped in Wal Mart to get grab one, 60 bucks later I checked out. I’m sick to death of spending money, I swear every damn day seems to nickel and dime me out of 2-300 dollars!! I swore today I wasn’t going to spend a dime, but just remembered the beer fridge is dangerously low and I’m pretty certain I’m going to be thirsty later. Dilemmas…

This will piss you off (it does me). My son’s wedding was yesterday. We had beer and wine at the reception. My wife and I supplied all the beer and wine. We had 15 cases of Coors, Coors Light, Dos X, Shiner, and Mich Ultra (for the Karens).

It was a light drinking crowd. I barely drink any alcohol at all anymore. We had 8 cases left over of misc. beer. I gave it all away to various groomsmen, etc.  

So if you had happened to be at the wedding venue outside Abilene yesterday, you could have scored a lot of free beer. 

Wrong. I’ve been to both many, many times. There’s only like 4 more rides at WDW compared to DLR/CA. All the ones that are at both, are better and longer at DLR. WDW takes forever to get anywhere. It’s just a lot of empty space. You can walk from DLR to CA in two minutes. The weather in CA is a million times better than FL. You have the option of every hotel chain the the world within walking distance of DLR and they’re all way cheaper than WDW hotels. Don’t want to walk, there are public and private shuttles that drop off a hundred yards from the ticket booth. Everything at WDW is a logistical and planning nightmare from getting to the park to dining.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Wrong. I’ve been to both many, many times. There’s only like 4 more rides at WDW compared to DLR/CA. All the ones that are at both, are better and longer at DLR. WDW takes forever to get anywhere. It’s just a lot of empty space. You can walk from DLR to CA in two minutes. The weather in CA is a million times better than FL. You have the option of every hotel chain the the world within walking distance of DLR and they’re all way cheaper than WDW hotels. Don’t want to walk, there are public and private shuttles that drop off a hundred yards from the ticket booth. Everything at WDW is a logistical and planning nightmare from getting to the park to dining.

When it comes to creating a sense of wonder, size matters. Bigger is better. What you described as “empty space” at Disney World isn’t. Disney World is lush. The landscaping, the flora and fauna are part of it, as is the architecture. Sounds like you just want to rush through it, ride the rides, and get back to your hotel in the city as quickly as possible. I had a roommate in school whose family used to go to Disney World every year and spend a week in the RV park. They had passes that got them into the magic kingdom, EPCOT, and whatever else they have down there. You can’t do that at Disneyland. I’m not sure anyone would want to. You stayed in a hotel outside the park? At Disney World you can lodge in Cinderella’s Castle. Disneyland is more of a city attraction and apparently you like that. Disney World is more in the middle of nowhere, more self-contained, a kingdom unto itself, and I think that’s an advantage. (Until Ron DeSantis builds a prison next to it, of course). 

And the weather is “a million times better” at Disneyland then at Disney World? Really? A million? On what day? That sounds like hyperbole based on some personal bias relative to Florida vs. California. The weather was fucking great when I’ve been to Disney World. Pro tip for travelers: don’t go anywhere when the weather is bad.

Disneyland has 19 million visitors annually. Disney World has 58 million and none of them are going because they like the crowds. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lurch said:

I had my car for eight years before I realized what the auto hold button was for. what a horribly named and marketed piece of technology. In my wife’s truck it’s actually labeled Auto H.

Stick shift Subaru? Not many cars have the auto-hold.

I remember the first time (in my stick shift car) stopped on a hill waiting for the green light. Scared the bejeezus out of my then GF’s mom and myself. 

I remember the first time (in my stick shift car) stopped on a hill waiting for the green light. Scared the bejeezus out of my then GF’s mom and myself. 

‘15 Hyundai Genesis, ‘18 BMW X3 and ‘23 Genesis GV70

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

a lot of the VW-group cars have it on both manual transmission and automatic transmission.  I think my BMW had it too.  really useful feature, although im happy with the old school handbrake lever

50 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

c71edb4e45f99a93d18dee621939f4ea.jpg
Robert De Niro just became a father again at 79. Some woman of child bearing age is letting this old codger climb on her and do stuff! Fame and money….

Wonder what the attraction is?

170210202642-anna-nicole-smith-and-husba

• Like 2

He will be 95 when his kid gets his driver's license. That seems selfish as fuck.

I feel this comment. We had a surprise kid when I was 52 and we’d both just retired. (Our daughter was 30 at the time and we had 4 grandkids to put it in perspective.) Not a single day goes by that I don’t think that it’s probably less than a 50/50 chance she has both parents when she graduates HS, if either of us. Lots and lots of contingency planning, but hopefully 70 is a doable number for me. I can’t imagine the hubris, vanity, and as you said outright selfishness that would go into someone knowing there’s absolutely no way they are going to be around to raise a kid you had at 79! Plus, while our kid’s been fantastic about it so far, the fact that we average about 35 years older than any other parents of her friends and classmates will eventually have to take a toll on any kid.
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 5/7/2023 at 11:50 PM, Superhero said:

Wearing shoes into your house, especially if you have carpet, is disgusting.

I have a set of flip flops I only use in the house. We have three dogs that shed with hardwood floors. I can't stand feeling dog hair or little bits of dirt they bring to the house on my feet. 

Edited by Jameslaw121

Ay, ay, ay, ay, oh, I am the Frito Bandito

Who remembers this guy?  Remember when the Banditos got all butt hurt and Frito cancelled the dude?

Who did they replace him with?  (lame character)

I remember when you bought a tray of lunch sized chips, you got a Frito Bandito pencil eraser.  I had a drawer full!  (then I got some of the "lame character" erasers)

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I was in first grade in Corpus Christi when that was on TV.  Singing that on the playground at recess was a good way to have the error of your gringo ways explained to you be a couple of kids named Garcia or Hernandez.

Pinchegringo. For most of my growing up years I thought it was one word. Never heard one without the other. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, nnm said:

Pinchegringo. For most of my growing up years I thought it was one word. Never heard one without the other. 

I cleaned ìt up, but you are correct.  Got my ass kicked for singing the Fritos jingle, got my ass spanked for saying pinchegringo at home.  It just wasn't my day.

18 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Ay, ay, ay, ay, oh, I am the Frito Bandito

Who remembers this guy?  Remember when the Banditos got all butt hurt and Frito cancelled the dude?

Who did they replace him with?  (lame character)

I remember when you bought a tray of lunch sized chips, you got a Frito Bandito pencil eraser.  I had a drawer full!  (then I got some of the "lame character" erasers)

season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I cleaned ìt up, but you are correct.  Got my ass kicked for singing the Fritos jingle, got my ass spanked for saying pinchegringo at home.  It just wasn't my day.

Whenever someone ask me if I speak Spanish, I always tell them "just enough to get me punched/in a fight".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Filipino fried chicken from Jollibee (fast food chain) is superior to EVERY chain fried chicken restaurant in the US; and probably better than 50% of specialty fried chicken places.

Super crisp on the outside and flavorful on the inside. Their spicy chicken is legit spicy 

Their only shortcoming is they don’t sell biscuits with their chicken.

• Like 1

Filipino fried chicken from Jollibee (fast food chain) is superior to EVERY chain fried chicken restaurant in the US; and probably better than 50% of specialty fried chicken places.
Super crisp on the outside and flavorful on the inside. Their spicy chicken is legit spicy 
Their only shortcoming is they don’t sell biscuits with their chicken.

Sounds great, so I checked out their locations. Only 6 in Texas. Not chicken related, but I’m a Braum’s guy from my days in Oklahoma. They say the reason they don’t expand further into Texas is because of supply chain issues getting their dairy products so far from their farms. I wonder how a chicken joint chain can manage it profitably with just 6 locations in a state as big as Texas? And what do Filipino’s eat with their chicken if it’s not biscuits, those pickled fermented egg things?