Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

Could be either depending on the work to be done. Both are pretty fun.

Mainly for cutting limbs and bushes. Every now and then, maybe cut some firewood down to smaller pieces.

Cordless chainsaw all the way.  The Milwaukee ones are so good I'm contemplating replacing by Stihl chainsaw with one.
The reciprocating action of the Sawzall creates too much of a vibration in small to medium limbs.  They become a pain in the ass to cut real quick.

Good point. Thanks

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

u_10186974.jpg

What the hell is the point of that thing? Pruning shears would be more effective.

For any decent amount of work you need a gas powered saw. Otherwise, just when you start accomplishing something, the thing craps out. 

Would you go Sawzall or cordless chainsaw for light work around the house?

Sawsall for construction demo work where you might hit nails. Battery chainsaw for small trees/limbs or 4x4 posts etc.

For intermittent, light use I really like the battery chainsaw. I keep a battery in it all the time and grab it over the sawsall 90% of the time.

I have a 16” gas chainsaw that I use for smaller tree cutting/limbing and a 24” gas saw for when serious cutting need to be done. Used all three and a gas pole saw last weekend clearing out a road and fenceline before working on the fence.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What the hell is the point of that thing? Pruning shears would be more effective.

For any decent amount of work you need a gas powered saw. Otherwise, just when you start accomplishing something, the thing craps out. 

I don’t know about cutting firewood, but I have a 6” cordless pruning chainsaw that looks similar to that one that I use all the time for cutting branches up to about 3 inches thick. Used to use my sawzall but this is much lighter/easier to use. The battery lasts a decent amount of time, and I have a spare to swap out. Works great on palm tree branches.

28 minutes ago, davidg said:

Sawsall for construction demo work where you might hit nails. Battery chainsaw for small trees/limbs or 4x4 posts etc.

For intermittent, light use I really like the battery chainsaw. I keep a battery in it all the time and grab it over the sawsall 90% of the time.

I have a 16” gas chainsaw that I use for smaller tree cutting/limbing and a 24” gas saw for when serious cutting need to be done. Used all three and a gas pole saw last weekend clearing out a road and fenceline before working on the fence.

The pole saw is a game changer and back saver when cleaning a fence row. I got that, an 18" and an old-school bow saw for the really big stuff in the country. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My wife bought us one of those after the ice storm & I bitched about it before it arrived because I thought it was a useless toy that would break instantly.

Nope. It's a champ. You're not gonna take down redwood trees, but it's a super lightweight, easy to maneuver with one hand little bastard that will cut through surpringly thick limbs in a snap. It made stripping branches from big limbs a snap, and working above shoulder height with one hand while on a ladder super secure & easy. I think it was 60 or 70 bucks, came with 2 batteries and 2 chains. Can't think of the last time I was more impressed by something I thought was going to be a waste of money.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/28/2023 at 1:45 PM, Brothahorn said:

Would you go Sawzall or cordless chainsaw for light work around the house?

I have an EGO, or whatever it’s called, 16” chainsaw and 8” pole saw. Replaced a Poulan 18” saw. Used around the house for minor stuff, plus cutting a little firewood for camping. Nothing serious.

Had the pair about 2 years, no complaints. For around the house it’s been great.

• Like 1

Nice bit of trivia:

All the current all time best regular seasons in each of the 4 major NA sports have failed to win the championship.

The 2001 Mariners and 1906 Cubs didn’t win the World Series

The 2015-2016 Warriors blew a 3-1 lead to the Cavs in the Finals

The 2007 Patriots went 16-0 but lost in the Super Bowl

And now the 2022-2023 Bruins lose in the first round to the Panthers

• Like 3

for the longest time ive always had one Logitech dongle occupying a USB slot on my work laptop to connect to a wireless mouse.

it took until literally right now to realize that all these mice are Bluetooth, and will (and do) connect directly to the laptop and work perfectly, without hogging up a USB slot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:35 AM, 52-80 said:

I dont understand how or why US-style plugs and voltage (Type A/110V) are the standard format for bathrooms all over the world. 

Hotels, trains, planes, no matter where you are the plugs on bathroom vanities are this same standard

Cuz, Murrica....

On 4/30/2023 at 9:12 AM, thunderlounge said:

I have an EGO, or whatever it’s called, 16” chainsaw and 8” pole saw. Replaced a Poulan 18” saw. Used around the house for minor stuff, plus cutting a little firewood for camping. Nothing serious.

Had the pair about 2 years, no complaints. For around the house it’s been great.

EGO rocks.

• Hook 'Em 2

Still organizing stuff in storage. We have 5 complete sets of wedding china we’ve inherited from our great great grandparents down to our parents. Old but not particularly valuable unless you want to sell one piece at a time on eBay for 10 bucks. Since it’s been in the family for so long we keep thinking maybe one of the kids somewhere in the family tree may want them some day. They will not.

• Like 1

Still organizing stuff in storage. We have 5 complete sets of wedding china we’ve inherited from our great great grandparents down to our parents. Old but not particularly valuable unless you want to sell one piece at a time on eBay for 10 bucks. Since it’s been in the family for so long we keep thinking maybe one of the kids somewhere in the family tree may want them some day. They will not.
Family Fun Day61c846fb374af5372c8652fc1fe1a44e.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

We have two sets, Mrs. Brat’s and her grandma’s. 
Granddaughter has shown no interest, nor our three sons and two grandsons.

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

We had a triple drive-in near where I grew up. If you stretched your neck enough, you could see the R rated movies on the other screens. 

So I heard...

At college in Birmingham there was one that showed XXX stuff. No idea how they kept the teenagers from hiding nearby

i admire the japanese cultural philosophy of embracing imperfection, embodied in wabi sabi which is celebrating things like non-uniform handicraft, and kintsugi which is repairing worn and broken stuff to cherish.  kinda like people being proud of stickers and cratches on their luggage.

anyway, i was looking on ebay for kintsugi repair kits to fix some chipped tableware i have at home... and turns out lots of folks are intentionally breaking new stuff and fix it up to sell as "kintsugi pottery" lol

• Like 1

I needed a purple onion yesterday and stopped in Wal Mart to get grab one, 60 bucks later I checked out. I’m sick to death of spending money, I swear every damn day seems to nickel and dime me out of 2-300 dollars!! I swore today I wasn’t going to spend a dime, but just remembered the beer fridge is dangerously low and I’m pretty certain I’m going to be thirsty later. Dilemmas…

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

I needed a purple onion yesterday and stopped in Wal Mart to get grab one, 60 bucks later I checked out. I’m sick to death of spending money, I swear every damn day seems to nickel and dime me out of 2-300 dollars!! I swore today I wasn’t going to spend a dime, but just remembered the beer fridge is dangerously low and I’m pretty certain I’m going to be thirsty later. Dilemmas…

I hear ya. I went to Krogers to pick up a cake my wife ordered. It was $17. I ended up spending $125. Shit is crazy.

Why does everyone go to Disneyworld and not Disneyland? Even my guy in Colorado is taking his family to Disneyworld. What's wrong with Disneyland besides being in California?

• Like 1