Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I was today years old when I learned that April is Confederate History Month and that Texas is one of only 7 states that still celebrates it.  I don't want monument I'm gonna shit on first.  Internet bullshit aside, I had no idea this was a thing in all my decades in this wonderful place.  

If you didnt know that in 3 decades, then does it really matter?

(i didnt know either)

• Like 1

No, it did not matter to me personally. I just dropped my jaw at how fucking proudly stupid my state is, that’s all.  

it’s like finding out 30 years later, the local priest was mouth fucking other kids-just not you.  You’re fine, but you kinda weep for the others.   

I like how neighborhoods/subdivisions take on names and identities of things that are totally artificial and aspirational to them. 

I’m driving through this one outside of Houston and every street is like “cliff edge road” and “oceanside view st” and “edge canyon land” and yo….just where the fuck do you think this is

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I like how neighborhoods/subdivisions take on names and identities of things that are totally artificial and aspirational to them. 

I’m driving through this one outside of Houston and every street is like “cliff edge road” and “oceanside view st” and “edge canyon land” and yo….just where the fuck do you think this is

There’s a “Brimstone” street in my neighborhood.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I moved to Texas 30 years ago.  Now I spent several years at other institutions of higher education/grad school.  And have been here permanently over 20 years.  

I was today years old when I learned that April is Confederate History Month and that Texas is one of only 7 states that still celebrates it.  I don't want monument I'm gonna shit on first.  Internet bullshit aside, I had no idea this was a thing in all my decades in this wonderful place.  

Alabama has state holidays for Confederate Memorial Day in April and Jeff Davis's birthday in June.

• Like 1

I knew they did.  I knew Florida did 'cause I was stuck in that shithole for a few years.  But as God as my witness, I did not know that April was Confederate Month in texas and 7 other states.  And like it's a new fucking thing.  It's not left over as a memorial kinda thing from 150 years ago.  They just passed this shit in the last 20-30 years.  Like when normal people were in politics.  That's so fucked up .

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

No, it did not matter to me personally. I just dropped my jaw at how fucking proudly stupid my state is, that’s all.  

it’s like finding out 30 years later, the local priest was mouth fucking other kids-just not you.  You’re fine, but you kinda weep for the others.   

It's also a state holiday.  State employees can take that day off.  So, not only is it shameful.....you are paying for it with your tax dollars.

Okay, now I remember reading that part.  So you fucking losers get to take off losing day of losers for attempting to usurp the greatest country in the history of the world on behalf of the greatest state in the union because you're the best of the best at losing?  Fucking fuck. 

So Texas is the fucking Washington Generals of States now?  Fuck me.  Did I miss a meeting?  Fucking Confederated Fucks.  

There’s a “Brimstone” street in my neighborhood.

A little development off Lamar has Grateful Dead Songs for Streets. Easy Wind, Sugaree etd. That's kinda cool, but also ironic. Henley's Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac comes to mind.
I don’t know why I keep buying whisky even though I feel terrible after I drink even a small amount.
IMG_0279.thumb.jpeg.4bc73cd8e37d3a561b4a9fdcfbdb5dc7.jpeg
It's delicious?
  • Hook 'Em 1

I moved to Texas 30 years ago.  Now I spent several years at other institutions of higher education/grad school.  And have been here permanently over 20 years.  

When I worked for the State up until about 8 years ago Confederate Heroes Day (January 19th) was an optional day off. May still be one.

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Neighborhood in Arkansas

thumbnail-Screenshot-2022-12-30-at-2-16-

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

I don’t know why I keep buying whisky even though I feel terrible after I drink even a small amount.

Dopamine. Alcohol gives you an immediate feedback that is initially positive. Every drunk has one memory of when they reached a point of feeling absolutely perfect, not out of control, but ecstatically happy, mellow, and that everything was right in the world. They spend the rest of their drinking career trying to get that back. 

9 hours ago, Superhero said:

I’m intrigued by the Hibiki.  I see you have two bottles. I’ve tried a couple of Japanese whiskies, and like the Shin. How is Hibiki?  Other recs?

And I’m with you. Even a single drink absolutely wrecks my sleep. 

14 hours ago, Born to Run said:

A little development off Lamar has Grateful Dead Songs for Streets. Easy Wind, Sugaree etd. That's kinda cool, but also ironic. Henley's Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac comes to mind.

I wonder how much a house on Shakedown Street goes for.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, retsevlys said:

Neighborhood in Arkansas

thumbnail-Screenshot-2022-12-30-at-2-16-

Reminds me of the mitch Hedberg bit about sitting shotgun in a NASCAR race, "Say man, why you keep going to the left?  We should slow down for Earnhardt.  You must really like TIDE."    

10 hours ago, nnm said:

I’m intrigued by the Hibiki.  I see you have two bottles. I’ve tried a couple of Japanese whiskies, and like the Shin. How is Hibiki?  Other recs?

And I’m with you. Even a single drink absolutely wrecks my sleep. 

Hibiki, IMO is light, floral and totally enjoyable. I saw it everywhere when we were in Hawaii, but my local liquor store rarely has it in stock, so I buy one every time I see it on the shelves.

I like the Nikka Yoichi a lot. It’s got a medium body, not very spicy, light peat and has a long finish. I like it’s flavor profile more than the Hibiki.

I want to try the Yamazaki or Hakushu, but $200+ for a bottle of whisky seems prohibitive.

If you look on the left side of the picture, I have 3 bottles of Johnny Green. It’s a blend of 15 year malts. Another medium body whisky with a fair amount of smoke and long finish. For $50, it’s hard to beat. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Anybody notice the transition from concrete to hot mix (or whatever it is called) there always seems to be a massive speed bump? We can land on the moon but can’t figure out how to butt up concrete and asphalt.

I think it's difficult because asphalt compresses over time unlike concrete. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

If you wanna microwave something for a minute do you put in “60” or “100”

On most of the new ones, just hit 1 and it will start automatically. All the numbers convert to minutes. Hit 2 to go for two minutes. You can hit the "Add time" button to add thirty seconds. If you want to get precise and cook like "1:15" hit the Time Cook button and it will take it in seconds, but everything left of the ":" will be in minutes. 

On older ones, 1:00 or :60 doesn't make any difference. Digit on the left of the ":" converts to minutes, so it will go from "1:00" to "0:59"  or "0:60" to ""0:59."

I'm an OCD guy who's serious about how long I microwave my popcorn.

Edited by Richard Kimball
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Has anyone ever tried to print text on the back of an existing photo with a laser printer?  Putting it in the tray upside down?

Like genealogy info on great-grandmother's photo?  etc.. 

you will fuck up the photo bending it through the rollers

1 hour ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Has anyone ever tried to print text on the back of an existing photo with a laser printer?  Putting it in the tray upside down?

Damn, dude, you got my OCD going again. It sounds like you're getting into genealogy, which means this is something you want to pass down to your kids. 

Start thinking archival. Avoid putting new information directly upon the photograph. @Patricio Swayze suggested printing on adhesive labels, but the glue on those labels will eventually permeate the photos. 

Here's my suggestion:

1. Take a scan of the original photo. You can have it done professionally, but I use a HP printer/scanner, set to 300 dpi color (even on black and white prints.) All photos will eventually fade and deteriorate. Black and white chemicals are more stable than the color dyes used for color prints (these are the old wet chemical prints, not the newer inkjet prints,) but all will eventually fade. Store these scans with a backup (I use dropbox. If you have an Apple, you can use icloud, etc., but the important thing is to have a copy somewhere off site if you have a fire/computer crash, etc. 
  2. Get archival quality photo sleeves. An example is here. This is from Amazon, and note it is archival quality, acid free, and non-cling. Normal office supply stuff, including the envelopes, will damage the photos. manilla folders will leach dye into the photo. White envelopes are normally recycled, so they use bleach to get the paper back to an original white color. This bleach will also leach into the photo. Having a sleeve that's acid free and non-cling will prevent chemicals from leaching in, and will prevent the photo from sticking to the front of the sleeve and pulling the image off. Having the photo in a sleeve in a binder will protect it from physical damage, and prevent sunlight or indoor lights from damaging it. 
  3. Put the genealogy information on a separate piece of paper, and slide it into a different sleeve on the same page.
  4. Put the photos into a non-plastic binder. Here's an example, it's got a fabric cover. I wouldn't worry too much about if the notebook is archival, cause the sleeves will protect it, but if you want to go whole hog, you can get an archival notebook that comes with a box for it to be kept in when not viewing. 

When I was a young bastard, I worked at the Harry Ransom Center. They spend a lot more than I'm suggesting here, but we're talking about stuff like a Gutenberg Bible, not family photos. What I suggested should provide good protection without breaking the wallet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Take a blank piece of paper in the paper drawer and draw an arrow on its face pointing up. Make a copy on that piece of paper. That will tell you how you need to orient in the drawer the existing print that you want to print on. It might need to be flipped both top-to-bottom and front-to-back.

I need to clarify.  I've got an Epson v600 that I've run the "original" photos through.  Was going to then run the scans through Topaz Photo AI.  Found a company (sharpprints) that will print 8x10s for $0.79.  Was thinking of running the newly printed 8x10s upsidedown in the laser printer.  Not harming the originals (except for being in a shoebox).

19 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I need to clarify.  I've got an Epson v600 that I've run the "original" photos through.  Was going to then run the scans through Topaz Photo AI.  Found a company (sharpprints) that will print 8x10s for $0.79.  Was thinking of running the newly printed 8x10s upsidedown in the laser printer.  Not harming the originals (except for being in a shoebox).

Oh hell's yeah. Give it a shot. Shit, just get a couple of extras printed, and if you screw one up, who cares, as long as the originals are safe. Check if the printer will take photo paper. The bypass usually feeds it straighter. 

Edited by Richard Kimball

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Today I learned that peanut butter whiskey is pretty damn good.

Please liveblog your consumption of the bottle. We need a companion piece to the masterpiece from @Angry Gorilla. Start at the post below, and read the next few pages. @Angry Gorilla gives us a blow-by-blow as he knocks back a bottle. It’s a thing of beauty. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We started making photo books on Shutterfly. You can add captions as you see fit and there are many layout designs to choose from. They’re cheap and they’re on sale all the time. We do a family yearbook each year. We figured no one will ever look at digital photos but a hard copy book will actually get looked at. I’m in the process of doing a family history book for the kids.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Please liveblog your consumption of the bottle. We need a companion piece to the masterpiece from [mention=1775]Angry Gorilla[/mention]. Start at the post below, and read the next few pages. [mention=1775]Angry Gorilla[/mention] gives us a blow-by-blow as he knocks back a bottle. It’s a thing of beauty. 

Oh I remember alright.
  • Like 1